Lightsabers

Vego_Mohenjo

I've been trying really hard to get back into my Sage.

It's the class I've played the longest, going all the way back to the first beta testing, and I always enjoyed him until now.

Part of the reason is the WAY I play him. I conceived of the character as a kind of Jedi Batman, so he was quick to go into melee and mix it up with his lightsaber.

5.0 took away his only real lightsaber ability. Oh yes, he has Saber Strike, but the damage it does is SO tiny that it's barely noticeable, and the animation is weak and boring. The character is actually better off just punching the enemy.

It's really destroyed my ability to enjoy the character.

I know, it's something relatively trivial but the impact it's having is enormous.

I mean, Conuslars are JEDI. The thing that is most iconic about a Jedi is the LIGHTSABER, but now it's little more than a cosmetic item. It's diminished the class and made it feel less like a JEDI. This can be a crippling thing.

Now, I get it, you want to force players to only play a ranged combat style. I don't understand why, but if that's the case, give the saber some OTHER use. Include it in the activation of some of the other powers. Change something to let the character THROW the saber. Do whatever is needed to make the class feel like JEDI again.

Of course, the simplest solution is to give us back that one skill (Dual Slash for Sages, Thrash for Sorcerors).

Come on now, Bioware, remember this is STAR WARS.

There's a number of reasons I don't play a Shadow/Assassin.

First, I don't like the saber staff.

Second, I like playing a healer.

Third, I've played the character since beta, and I don't want to start him over.

Fifth, I don't like the short range style of the Shadow/Assassin.

Sixth, it's beside the point. Whatever character I'm playing, the Sage and Sorceror STILL won't be getting any use of their lightsaber, which is inappropriate in a Star Wars game (my opinion, shared by many, I think).

• 3 months later...
As someone who mains a Sorceror, I have to agree with Vego 110%. Even over half a year after the fact, the removal of Thrash has killed the class and largely the game itself for me. Tried to get used to just having Saber Strike and couldn't. Truly a shame, as I'd like to stay subscribed, but feel I still can't. He's absolutely right in that he's not the only player who believes it was a bad move by the devs.

I agree that sage animations and even sorc animations could use more variety. Throwing differently-colored balls of light, or slightly different lightning strikes at different angles is almost indistinguishable to outside observers. Give sages and sorcs saber throw, perhaps replacing one of the light/lightning shots. They can even re-use the Guardian/Jugg saber throw animation for this. Additionally, we should not have to waste a legendary utility point on the rooting saber ability, which is not very effective anyway. Give it to all sages/sorcs instead of the pointless saber strike. So that's 2 saber abilities right there, and they won't take up any additional quick bar slots. Make it happen devs. Edited by ViktorAres

I'm on the opposite side of the coin on this one. I'd rather my Sorcerer not even hold the lightsaber when throwing lightning around. Looks odd holding a lightsaber when using both hands to cast Force Lightning.

Think Valkorian, dude blocks lightsabers with his force powers and waves his big Force-D around with giant Force Lightning attacks. Then there's Satele Shan during the cinematic trailers against Darth Malgus. That massive force attack to crush him against a wall.

Could the animations be updated? Of course.

I'm on the opposite side of the coin on this one. I'd rather my Sorcerer not even hold the lightsaber when throwing lightning around. Looks odd holding a lightsaber when using both hands to cast Force Lightning.

Think Valkorian, dude blocks lightsabers with his force powers and waves his big Force-D around with giant Force Lightning attacks. Then there's Satele Shan during the cinematic trailers against Darth Malgus. That massive force attack to crush him against a wall.

Could the animations be updated? Of course.

Somebody suggested optional dual-focus wielding for sorcs. Not a bad idea.

For saber-wielding sorcs, replace project/shock with saber throw and give them the rooting saber. For foci-wielding sorcs, leave shock and project in place.

Edited by ViktorAres

Odd? It's not like it hasn't been seen before SWTOR. I suppose for practical reasons, you have a point, and it would make sense to sheath a lightsaber before shooting lightning out of both hands, but it's been done with both Dooku and Starkiller last I checked. Personally I just agree with Vego, Sorceror/Sage needs at least 1 more saber ability back separate from Saber Strike, and Viktor pointed out solid concepts as well in my humble opinion.

Forget saber throw. I want to get rid of balance/madness and have a form 2 styled duelist. Could keep some of the single target lightning abilites, but give us some cool dooku styled duelist who uses force abilities.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I always thought it was stupid that in game your lightsaber was pretty much a symbol of your status and nothing more.

You either shocked people to death or throw rocks at people, the lightsaber was just in your offhand for show. In the lore though? Jedi and sith used sabers to compliment their force powers, I know it's a class specific thing and giving sorc a host of melee abilities would pretty much make it a shadow/assassin without the cloaking ability but...

I find it pretty stupid when I am surrounded by a bunch of enemies and all I can do to defend myself is use the force, when my saber in my left hand is just for show.

I don't mind it, but it still bugs me even after all these years after launch. I understand it's a balance thing... but It doesn't mean I have to like it.

Edited by embrm

Odd? It's not like it hasn't been seen before SWTOR. I suppose for practical reasons, you have a point, and it would make sense to sheath a lightsaber before shooting lightning out of both hands, but it's been done with both Dooku and Starkiller last I checked. Personally I just agree with Vego, Sorceror/Sage needs at least 1 more saber ability back separate from Saber Strike, and Viktor pointed out solid concepts as well in my humble opinion.

I mean odd as in the way the player character holds the lightsaber while doing it, the animation is wonky, not that the feat of using both hands was foreign . The blade is almost smacking the character in the face because of how he holds it. The blade hovers in the hand and is angled in such a way that it almost clips through the head it's so close some times.

Need some more ability animation updates soon.

• 6 months later...

I agree. I had such a great feel for Vilaaris, but now I barely recognise her and I don't enjoy playing her now.. And try as I might, I can't connect with the other classes....

Oh and yes.. The legacy unlock: Punch does more damage than our Saber Strike............................:confused:

I've been trying really hard to get back into my Sage.

It's the class I've played the longest, going all the way back to the first beta testing, and I always enjoyed him until now.

Part of the reason is the WAY I play him. I conceived of the character as a kind of Jedi Batman, so he was quick to go into melee and mix it up with his lightsaber.

5.0 took away his only real lightsaber ability. Oh yes, he has Saber Strike, but the damage it does is SO tiny that it's barely noticeable, and the animation is weak and boring. The character is actually better off just punching the enemy.

It's really destroyed my ability to enjoy the character.

I know, it's something relatively trivial but the impact it's having is enormous.

I mean, Conuslars are JEDI. The thing that is most iconic about a Jedi is the LIGHTSABER, but now it's little more than a cosmetic item. It's diminished the class and made it feel less like a JEDI. This can be a crippling thing.

Now, I get it, you want to force players to only play a ranged combat style. I don't understand why, but if that's the case, give the saber some OTHER use. Include it in the activation of some of the other powers. Change something to let the character THROW the saber. Do whatever is needed to make the class feel like JEDI again.

Of course, the simplest solution is to give us back that one skill (Dual Slash for Sages, Thrash for Sorcerors).

Come on now, Bioware, remember this is STAR WARS.

I will never understand what they are thinking with all the class changes they have made. They just seem stupid to me. I have two character boost on my account and i don't even want to use them for any of the classes now. I play a Sage also and miss not using my Lightsaber for something. All you do is hold the thing. Why don't they think this is silly. I just don't see how they can call Sages Jedi anymore.

I will never understand what they are thinking with all the class changes they have made. They just seem stupid to me. I have two character boost on my account and i don't even want to use them for any of the classes now. I play a Sage also and miss not using my Lightsaber for something. All you do is hold the thing. Why don't they think this is silly. I just don't see how they can call Sages Jedi anymore.

How they thought that giving Sorcs a Lightsaber that they basically can't use without incuring a loss makes no sense. Who the hell wouldn't want to be able to use it some? Making a Lightsaber for Sorcs/Sages that functions primarily as a stat stick. Talk about a tease!

They should just replace an existing ability with a Lightsaber attack that does the same damage as the old ability.

The only issue with that is Sorcs/Sages are a ranged class and as Lightsaber attack range is only 4' that would put a Sorc/Sage in a position wherein once again, the attack actually hurts you because Sorcs/Sages can't face tank. That would than sacrifice the range of the former attack rendering a lightsaber attack extremely circumstantial in it's use.

I'm not really sure how it could be done without putting the Sorc/Sage in a compromising position due to the danger it would incur by being in melee range with enemy melee who are designed for that kind of combat.

Perhaps it could be rendered a Lightsaber throw so that they would only need to be at 10' to use it. At least it would be a lightsaber attack that doesn't compromise them so much and would force them into Melee attack range to use it.

Irving and his team ruined the class in 5.0 . It is a fact. It has the worst dps classes that are useless because of this legendary utility that buoware gave us. I support this thread because changes that were made killed the class completely. I rerolled on mara cuz snipers and merc are ugly and from now on I never invite sorc to the group as dps. The only place where sorc dps is good are solo content and unranked warzones which are boring. Ty buoware for riuning this class. Edited by BraverDre

This is why for my Sorc and Sage I use a Shoto for both. Least it doesn't look like I'm smacking myself with the blade and it's shorter so it looks more defensive against blasters.

Wish I could just be able to drop the saber and just use the legacy attacks and dual focus items. Atleast I might look a bit more bad*** using nothing but my hands and the force.

That would be pretty friggen cool, just some crackling electricity sparks between your fingers every few seconds/some glowy effect choices maybe.

And then allow the force ability from KOTOR2 where you can block blaster bolts with your bare bands. Good to roll!