My Take on GSF (Two Days Playing)

Kokurou

So... GSF is fun. It's very fast paced, there's some coordination going on. So far the only 2 modes I see are TDM and satellite control. I like it, kind of? But the more I do it the more frustrated I become and the more I start to dislike it.

GSF's tutorial is garbage. It barely teaches you anything. It teaches you movement, how to fire your primary/secondary, and how to capture a node while destroying stationary targets. That being said, you're locked to 1 ship. You can't choose a different type, you're stuck in one ship for the tutorial. There's no situation to experience, there's no "If this happens, do this action".

I had an argument early this morning (around 4-5am) on Imperial Fleet because I said, unlike GSF, at least PvE teaches you how to move around and somewhat prepares you for regular PvP. Take that any way you want, that's my interpretation. GSF has no PvE sequences at all, and there's no way to know what you're ACTUALLY supposed to do.

I'll say again, I like GSF, but the more I do it the more I'm starting to dislike it. It's basically teaching you how to swim by dumping you into the ocean while being blindfolded. If GSF had a PvE thing, that'd be great, since then people can actually get into it and know how to do certain things in a variety of situations.

GSF's tutorial is garbage.

Yes.

It barely teaches you anything.

It teaches you a lot- the issue is, there's a whole lot more that you need.

That being said, you're locked to 1 ship. You can't choose a different type, you're stuck in one ship for the tutorial. There's no situation to experience, there's no "If this happens, do this action".

Every point correct.

I had an argument early this morning (around 4-5am) on Imperial Fleet because I said, unlike GSF, at least PvE teaches you how to move around and somewhat prepares you for regular PvP.

This is correct. You can practice your pvp rotation on a dummy or a mob, pretending it is a player. You can practice anything in your head because you have total control over your character, cooldowns, etc. It's nowhere near as useful as actually practicing against people, but it's still really useful. GSF doesn't give you that.

GSF has no PvE sequences at all, and there's no way to know what you're ACTUALLY supposed to do.

Agree.

If GSF had a PvE thing, that'd be great, since then people can actually get into it and know how to do certain things in a variety of situations.

I think allowing more options in the tutorial would be a good help.

Anyway, I agree with your post completely. This is a solid contribution!

Here's my suggestion:

If you and three others form two groups, you can start a custom game, after agreeing ahead of time that it is for practice. You can set it to Lost Shipyards TDM, which has a bug in custom games only where the score goes to a thousand. You can then practice a whole bunch of stuff.

The downside here is that you need three other people to do these customs, but I doubt it would be too hard to find them. You can try cjoining /gsf chat channel in game, or join a GSF Discord.

Anyway, good luck!

First of all, welcome to gsf! Second.. agree with everything you said. This game mode is one of the most fun in swtor but I feel that too many folks are scared off by the steep learning curve. If your on starforge add my main, h'edraa. Due to RL I can often only fly once a week or so but always up to meet new pilots!

It's basically teaching you how to swim by dumping you into the ocean while being blindfolded.

An ocean with maneating sharks, at that. I'm pretty damned good at GSF, if I say so myself. Even on a fresh character, give me a couple matches to get the basic upgrades, and I'll consistently be in the top 1/3 of the scoreboard. On my main characters, I'm almost always either at the top, or in the top 3.

But even when I'm in a fully mastered ship, there are a few players out there who will simply eat me alive. I just die, and it feels like there was nothing I could do about it. Now imagine those players up against players with <20 matches under their belt, and what are the newbies supposed to do?

• 4 weeks later...
An ocean with maneating sharks, at that. I'm pretty damned good at GSF, if I say so myself. Even on a fresh character, give me a couple matches to get the basic upgrades, and I'll consistently be in the top 1/3 of the scoreboard. On my main characters, I'm almost always either at the top, or in the top 3.

But even when I'm in a fully mastered ship, there are a few players out there who will simply eat me alive. I just die, and it feels like there was nothing I could do about it. Now imagine those players up against players with <20 matches under their belt, and what are the newbies supposed to do?

Like you, I'm a Veteran player who is pretty good. I'm usually at the top of the list if I'm trying and flying my good ships (Sometimes I fly lower-tier ships to get requisition, especially if my team is way ahead anyways, it's good to give the other team a chance). And like you, there's a few aces out there who can smoke me at will.

The problem I see comes down to the match-making. I've lost track of how many tickets I've submitted to BW telling them to fix it, because it's downright broken. There will be times I will be placed on a team with 7 newbies up against a team with 4-5 veterans/aces. How is that even remotely fair? I mean, I do my best but the other team quickly figures out I'm the threat and makes sure to focus me while easily farming my teammates. Nobody on my team has any fun getting smoked like 2-50 in a TDM or 5-1000 in a Satellite Match. And don't try to tell me these types of matches are uncommon, because they're not. Going for my weekly on multiple toons each, the vast majority of my matches are blow-outs. Occasionally I'll get lucky and get placed on the good team, but usually I won't.

I think part of the solution is just breaking up premades. I know it's an unpopular idea, but having 4 really good players on one team pretty much guarantees that it's going to be a blowout. Other than that, dividing up the veterans/aces onto both teams is a must. This sounds like such a simple thing, but I rarely see it in-game.

This... OP and the Repliers thus far ...I totally agree! I, too, am a perennial top-third GSFer, but occasionally run into a player that can smoke everyone with what seems little-to-no defense against it.

(anyways, just wanted to show support of what you all have said so far)