Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP changes coming in July

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP changes coming in July

KendraP
05.20.2018 , 03:16 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post
Long time no see my friend. Don't forget that together we won the war to leave guard as it is

I also loved it when PVP had more lore value to it, but it all opposed a simple fact: role-based matchmaking is obsolete as long as it wouldn't break the faction barrier when necessary, especially with the decreasing amount of players in queue from either faction in any given point in time.

I also hope that the matchmaking system will still favor leaving the groups more faction-exclusive if the balance isn't harmed by it. Just glad that matchmaking got into the list of "things to consider when forming a match" finally, and with a higher priority than things that don't directly concern the odds of any side having an advantage before the game even begins.
Hey I helped with the guard war too!

Personally I'm not a fan of cross faction but I also play with friends, so faction imbalances dont hit me as hard.

Matchmaking if included should be a plus.

Janglor
05.20.2018 , 04:57 PM | #42
As far as roadmaps go, this one gave me more hope than anything in the last few years. I'd like to see them condense Star Forge/Satele into a single NA server though, the populations have already begun to suffer from the last merge.
STOP RESISTING
Janglor
Bo'Jangles
Diabeetus

TrixxieTriss
05.20.2018 , 09:45 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Although, as I've related my experience in the cross-faction maps we have so far (Yavin & OPG)... I'm skeptical that cross faction is the holy grail that a lot of people seem to think it is. I haven't noticed anyone going "oh, thank GOD it's a OPG, now we will finally have a fair match". Or "Oh frik, another hypergates. I wish we'd get a Yavin so we'd have a more fair match".

I'm more hopeful about match making and choosing maps. Liked the algo that Rafi has outlined a couple times for match making. That seemed like a good start to me. And for picking maps... I hope they do something like GW2 does, where you vote for a map after the pop. That way it won't slow down pops. And at least, hopefully, we'd have less of a chance of getting the unpopular maps. Not perfect, either one, but I think both better than we have now.

The reason those maps with crossfaction still don’t give us fair matches, it’s because there is no match making in them... yet
At least Bioware have finally addressed the elephant in the room, the need for match making. This will be easier to implement because of a combined crossfaction queue. I think thats the reason they’ve never been able to implement matchmaking before.
The announcement of matchmaking is the best thing to come from this roadmap and is one of the most significant changes for regs since launch.

TrixxieTriss
05.20.2018 , 09:49 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Janglor View Post
As far as roadmaps go, this one gave me more hope than anything in the last few years. I'd like to see them condense Star Forge/Satele into a single NA server though, the populations have already begun to suffer from the last merge.
This is true. Honeslty, there should never have been 2 servers in the same data centre, they should have just made one be be done with it.

I do not think they will merge again this year and probably not even next. This will probably see a decline of activity until it’s dead.

Now the US servers are in the same data Center. There is no reason they can’t have cross server for the US and they could do the same for the EU region. Have regional cross server and not total game cross server.

WayOfTheWarriorx
05.21.2018 , 03:42 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Janglor View Post
I have heard some people express concern that Hot Pocket....I mean Satele [=p] has some lower numbers, but I have also seen a few posters contest that. I play on Star Forge, so I can't speak to the specifics as applies to Satele, but I can this, Star Forge Numbers are steady and strong and pops fast, quite honestly, I couldn't be happier with the state of PVP on Star Forge [class balance/matchmaking aside]. Impside is very strong. I will leave the situation on Pubside to those who can speak from a first hand experience there.

That said, I would not welcome a merge between the two servers for several reasons.

1 - There is no population issues or any issues for that matter on Star Forge that would benefit from a merge. It's already the biggest server in the game, making it bigger would be a bad thing for it. Devs have already stated that the reason they didn't just make one big NA server was because it would cause to many traffic problems and slow things down. Plus, if you have two servers and one goes down for some reason, you're not pissing off everyone in that part of the world. If its one server and it goes down, you've just pissed off an entire continent with people from LA and NY in it who love to riot and shoot people!. I <3 NY!

2 - There is already a shiz ton of toxicity on Star Forge as it is, it doesn't need more. Some people from Satele, probably ex-harbingerists made a campaign out of trying to make Star Forge look bad and label it as "an RP server, so anyone who wants to pvp/raid should go to the 'official' BS PVP/PVE server, because they couldn't live with the fact they were no longer the big boy on the block server wise. There is already bad blood from people talken tons of BS when visiting Star Forge from Satele and talken smack. While I wont paint them all with the same stroke, there are many people from Harbinger who are proud of being jerk offs who like to insult people for no good reason and I am personally not interested in helping out people like that. They can enjoy the 'fruits of their labor' on their 'official PVP server' with less people. Perhaps if those who were so inclined weren't such collosal A-O's to everyone less people would have transferred off Satele and not come to Star Forge in the first place.

3- Unless it was absolutely necessary, it would be a very bad move because if any server needs to be merged again this soon after another merge has already taken place it sends a terrible message and would without question serve as a symbolic 'dying throes' of the game. It would be the 'writting on the wall' marking the imminent end of things and I honestly do not think we are anywhere near that point if Star Forge, 6.0 and new storylines that are in the works is any guide.

I've seen people from Satele refutting the population woes on Satele too boot. People who perhaps play on both servers may notice a difference and are misreading it's significance. Does Satele have less population and perhaps slower pops compared to Star Forge? That's certainly possible and if fact stands to reason. More people more pops. It's not necessarily a bad sign, its what you would expect of a population difference such as they are between the servers. That's not better or worse, that's simply relative.

Only BW has the data and are in a position to judge the state of affairs on the servers. If they say it's necessary, than it's necessary. One big mega server would not be a good thing, it would be a bad thing IMO.

They were wrong with what they did to West Coast/ APAC players, that was unfair of them, but, in business, fair is not much of a consideration. The almighty dollar calls the shots.
~ I am Grim.

"There's a word for Lightside Sith. It's called Jedi."

WayOfTheWarriorx
05.21.2018 , 04:13 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post
Long time no see my friend. Don't forget that together we won the war to leave guard as it is

I also loved it when PVP had more lore value to it, but it all opposed a simple fact: role-based matchmaking is obsolete as long as it wouldn't break the faction barrier when necessary, especially with the decreasing amount of players in queue from either faction in any given point in time.

I also hope that the matchmaking system will still favor leaving the groups more faction-exclusive if the balance isn't harmed by it. Just glad that matchmaking got into the list of "things to consider when forming a match" finally, and with a higher priority than things that don't directly concern the odds of any side having an advantage before the game even begins.
That would at least be something and I would be grateful for it. I very much like the idea that if there is enough players from both factions queced to make full teams of IMPs VS. Pubs that would be the priority to do so. While perhaps not my personal ideal, I could live with it.

The matchmaking thing, I don't know of anyone this isn't a concern for and I think that's all something we agree on. Lack of matchmaking is probably the single greatest cause of dissatisfaction among PVPers. {That and all the friggen CC's!!}

Some of my concern lies is not really knowing if cross faction will serve as the great panacea of the woes in PVP. I have to admit, based on a lot of what you have said and others like you, there does seem to be a reasonable basis for thinking it could and that's why I have never been comfortable in stating my aversion to all cross faction without acknowledging the soundness of the technical basis of it. Simply put, on the surface, you have stronger arguments than mine.

That even in seeming 'victory' you still acknowledge the feelings of those who are against cross faction in principle and would like there to be something in place that might spare them a total loss of what up til now has always been a possibility [matches of full imps. vs. pubs] is admirable, and from me, appreciated.

We may disagree from time to time on some of the finer points, but our love for the game is our bond.
~ I am Grim.

"There's a word for Lightside Sith. It's called Jedi."