So about the Name purge....

merovejec

So if I understood it correctly, besides the thing that names will be considered based on that criteria (sub, level 1, played days....) there will also be a name Purge? So toons that did not login for 90 days will have their name be available again?

I wanted to use the system now to grab some names I wanted but they are on level 50 toons, who never logged in (as far as I could see), but those names are taken on all servers :(

So is there gonna be a way to get them with the server merge if they are no accounts that dont play?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the blog about the merge:

To proactively offset unnecessary challenges around character names, we are initiating a process of removing names from long inactive accounts. Any character that has not logged in for 90-days or more which has not progressed beyond level 10 will be flagged to rename their character.

So if I understood it correctly, besides the thing that names will be considered based on that criteria (sub, level 1, played days....) there will also be a name Purge? So toons that did not login for 90 days will have their name be available again?

I wanted to use the system now to grab some names I wanted but they are on level 50 toons, who never logged in (as far as I could see), but those names are taken on all servers :(

So is there gonna be a way to get them with the server merge if they are no accounts that dont play?

On the stream they said only characters under lvl10 would be subject to the purge.

From the blog about the merge:

To proactively offset unnecessary challenges around character names, we are initiating a process of removing names from long inactive accounts. Any character that has not logged in for 90-days or more which has not progressed beyond level 10 will be flagged to rename their character.

That's good. Level 10 is a bit low imo, but it's something.

I would flag all lvl 50s and lower for rename. If they belong to active players, they would just log on them once and keep their names, but there's a TON TON TON of years-inactive level 50s out there. Reminder - ROTHC came out in mid 2013 (increase to lvl 55), that's still 4.5 years of no playtime. Lvl 10 is too low Edited by Pietrastor

When is the purge supposed to happen?

It's part of the server merges so November 8th will be the moment we get to the new servers and see which names we can keep and which ones we lost. Also then the purge will have happened so we hopefull have less trouble replacing the names we lost.

It will be an exciting and depressing day at the same time I think, but I do think it's necessary.

It's part of the server merges so November 8th will be the moment we get to the new servers and see which names we can keep and which ones we lost. Also then the purge will have happened so we hopefull have less trouble replacing the names we lost.

It will be an exciting and depressing day at the same time I think, but I do think it's necessary.

Where did it say that? I can't find it.

I would flag all lvl 50s and lower for rename. If they belong to active players, they would just log on them once and keep their names, but there's a TON TON TON of years-inactive level 50s out there. Reminder - ROTHC came out in mid 2013 (increase to lvl 55), that's still 4.5 years of no playtime. Lvl 10 is too low

Agreed.

Edited by Eshvara

Where did it say that? I can't find it.

This blog is about everything that has to do with the server merges that take place on Nov. 8th.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20171002

It doesn't specifically state that the purge will be done on the 8th of November but it does say that the purging is done to support the renaming of our characters when the merge happens. So it seems a reasonable and logical conclusion that this happens at the same time since it's all part of the same process.

This blog is about everything that has to do with the server merges that take place on Nov. 8th.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20171002

It doesn't specifically state that the purge will be done on the 8th of November but it does say that the purging is done to support the renaming of our characters when the merge happens. So it seems a reasonable and logical conclusion that this happens at the same time since it's all part of the same process.

Ahhh right. I thought the purging could have been done before.:)

Ahhh right. I thought the purging could have been done before.:)

Yeah but if they are they wouldn't tell us. Clearly they are trying to make sure people don't abuse the situation. In the livestream they also wouldn't go into detail on how they decide exactly who has priority on a name.

To me that's the biggest worry because especially my main that I made at the start of the game in 2011 is a name that I really want to keep. I know the name is taken on the other two servers that we'll merge with and I just really hope that I don't lose my name because they happened to've played more hours even when my character is the oldest. I really hope they don't just look at hours played but also how old names are. I mean, I play a lot of alts so I divide my time between them. If it's just about time played I might be screwed with my old names just because I play less on each alt individually.

I was there for the original two server merges and lost all but two of my original names. If I lost those two now, it would be heart-breaking. The rest would be annoying but I'll live. These two though...that'd be really rough.

Yeah but if they are they wouldn't tell us. Clearly they are trying to make sure people don't abuse the situation. In the livestream they also wouldn't go into detail on how they decide exactly who has priority on a name.

To me that's the biggest worry because especially my main that I made at the start of the game in 2011 is a name that I really want to keep. I know the name is taken on the other two servers that we'll merge with and I just really hope that I don't lose my name because they happened to've played more hours even when my character is the oldest. I really hope they don't just look at hours played but also how old names are. I mean, I play a lot of alts so I divide my time between them. If it's just about time played I might be screwed with my old names just because I play less on each alt individually.

I was there for the original two server merges and lost all but two of my original names. If I lost those two now, it would be heart-breaking. The rest would be annoying but I'll live. These two though...that'd be really rough.

And what are these two special names?:rak_03: I wont tell anyone I promise!

Jokes aside, I really want this certain name and I can only get it if the purge happens before the merge on a certain server.:rak_06:

A level 13 doesn't need that name.:rak_03:

This is certainly going to be ...interesting.

As things are, I'm likely to lose the name of my second; not sure about my main. I'm not going to rename anything. Names I lose are toons I consider lost. If there are none left to play, then that's it. I refuse to bend over backwards and scramble to somehow make up for their decisions.

Same reason I won't reroll another char after the nerfs to the classes. If by their actions they show me that they don't want me to play any more, that's fine. I am not a hamster you can throw on another wheel to run on.

That's good. Level 10 is a bit low imo, but it's something.

A bit low? You mean it should be like level 50 or something? See, I don't care about toons that can be recreated in a couple hours...anything below 51 should be purged imo.

A bit low? You mean it should be like level 50 or something? See, I don't care about toons that can be recreated in a couple hours...anything below 51 should be purged imo.

50?

No, I think 35 would be better. Most of the crappy planets I hate are after that. With the exception of my PT who was level 54 before completing act 1.

50?

No, I think 35 would be better. Most of the crappy planets I hate are after that. With the exception of my PT who was level 54 before completing act 1.

51. The reason being that anyone who hasn't reached 51 by now, likely hasn't played in literally years. Characters who haven't been played in 3-4 years, should not get to sit on their names just because they once played and reached level 11...the existing customers are who this needs to help, not toons from years ago who have moved on in life.

Level 10 may do the greatest good while doing the least harm. Every curious person who tried SWTOR and then walked away from the game, yet locked up a good name, could be a very high number indeed, and a simple sql statement run by one of their devs could show the % of the character population that fall into the < 11 + 90 day no login category.

Yeah level 10 is still very low. But it must make a difference or they wouldn't do it I guess.

It frees all those "reserved" character names that were once claimed by players who long since left the game.

Edited by Mubrak

51. The reason being that anyone who hasn't reached 51 by now, likely hasn't played in literally years. Characters who haven't been played in 3-4 years, should not get to sit on their names just because they once played and reached level 11...the existing customers are who this needs to help, not toons from years ago who have moved on in life.

Agreed!

Well, in that case they wouldn't still be a sub and would lose their name in a conflict..

Well, in that case they wouldn't still be a sub and would lose their name in a conflict..

True. I'm more concerned about freeing up names though...not protecting ones that players had to construct with sýmßöls.

The purge is not about the conflict between names but about people having more names available when they have to rename their characters due to losing their current name.