Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bingobeawr
04.30.2015 , 10:12 AM | #1731
I wish they implemented chat bubbles. 3 years later still no chat bubbles but its better late then never. I feel like chat bubbles are on par for me with cape clipping and chat bubbles.
Free Character Transfer and other Goodies. Refer a friend
http://www.swtor.com/r/2cPtZt

Crimson_Merc
05.26.2015 , 06:02 PM | #1732
I just find it funny that Bioware still hasn't figured out chat bubbles for this game and we are pushing 4 years here. Every single MMO game out there has chat bubbles and I find it a little ridiculous. I love MMOs, but it is so hard to play this game with friends or RP without chat bubbles. Chat bubbles just makes it easier and it doesn't have to be for RP purposes, when there are 200 people on fleet are you are trying to talk to someone who is next to you, chat bubbles would be ideal. I am sure we will get them, but we have got to keep pressing the issue. Bioware is nortorious for giving fans what they don't want. For all the people who are complaining about chat bubbles- welcome to your first MMO because EVERY MMO has them!

Cave
07.27.2015 , 03:42 AM | #1733
Any news on chat bubbles? Surely Bioware could have figured out how to implement them by now. And them eating 400MB of video memory (which was the only reason they ran poorly on some systems that only had 256, 512 or 768MB of video card memory - although if you applied the same fix you did for nameplates before release it would take less!) shouldn't be much of a problem anymore anyway, since almost everyone has a video card with 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or even 12GB of memory nowadays. Thus Bioware could just be lazy and take the chat bubbles feature from Beta without any big problems.
Bioware, what's keeping you from adding an option to enable chat bubbles? Surely in almost four years there should have been a small opening to schedule finally adding this feature so many have been waiting for, right? You promised it, remember? Even MMOs that never promised chat bubbles or even said outright they would not add them have added them now (ESO, for example), why not you who promised them so long ago? Would you please respond and stop ignoring this, devs?
I've cancelled my subscription due to the lack of Chat Bubbles.
I will never give EA or Bioware another cent or play any of their games or use any of their software again until speech bubbles that fully display /say, /yell and /emote chat are implemented in Star Wars: The Old Republic and the needs of socializers and roleplayers are finally taken seriously.

EnkiduNineEight
07.27.2015 , 06:29 AM | #1734
I would say that this has been going on since Dec 2011 and they have done nothing about it should maybe give you a hint. It also took much less than 3.5 years to get more posts on the slot machine thread and they aren't going to do anything about that either.

You may want to just get the clue that the same small group of people posting this repeatedly is not going to change their minds.

Don Quixote knew when to quit better than this.
Statement: Referral Codes Never Work. Click HERE to prove me wrong! You know you want to!
Free character transfer and 7 days of sub time for returning players.
(Details) (FAQ)

Glzmo
08.07.2015 , 05:46 AM | #1735
Chat bubbles got asked about at the Cantina Tour Q&A from August 6th 2015 at Gamescom 2015 in Cologne, Germany. Here is the youtube video of it courtesy of Rashia, the talk about chat bubbles starts approximately at 6:08 into the video and ends at 7:34.

Transcript:

Audience Member: "Will we ever see the hood toggle or the chat bubbles?"

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "Will we ever see hood toggles OR chat bubbles?"

Michael Backus (Lead Designer): "I'm gonna be honest about this question right now. I...before I came to Germany sat down with the engineers to talk about chat bubbles. Uhm...there is...I'm not gonna get too technical but there is (CL Form?) in engineering and there is a performance issue with chat bubbles and I'm investigating a way to solve that because I really, really would like to give you guys chat bubbles!" *pauses for huge applause from the crowd and the other devs on the panel*

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "Yeah, I'll give you the Community Manager Disclaimer that in no way promises that chat bubbles will ever be reapplied into the game."

Michael Backus (Lead Designer): "Yeah, but..." *cutoff by Eric Musco*

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "We know it's been requested, so we're just always trying to find a way to get to get it in."

Michael Backus (Lead Designer): "I promise you we're investigating it and I promise as soon as you...as soon as we know it's a thing you guys will hear a big announcement about it."

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "I would bet that'll be the perfect kind of thing we would announce potentially on you and how a cantina as part of the questioning of our point answers, right, because it has been asked for in every cantina since we've been doing them over the years."

Audience member: "So you're saving it for...?"

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "I'm saving it for the cantina, yes - I've claimed it! I've stated the claim."

Audience shout in: "If you make chat bubbles make them an on and off preference!"

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "Oh we will, oh we will."

Michael Backus (Lead Designer): "We've got your back!" *points to the crowd in a triumphant manner*

Eric Musco (Community Manager): "I like there are two sides of that - the people who really like chat bubbles and people who like 'uh, uh'."

Stubacca
08.07.2015 , 03:37 PM | #1736
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Chat bubbles got asked about at the Cantina Tour Q&A from August 6th 2015 at Gamescom 2015 in Cologne, Germany. Here is the youtube video of it courtesy of Rashia, the talk about chat bubbles starts approximately at 6:08 into the video and ends at 7:34.

Transcript:

Spoiler
So basically nothing new? They should hire Glz so he can fix the bubbles for them and he can put his money where his mouth is!
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

Ganden
08.18.2015 , 10:11 PM | #1737
Still waiting for chat bubbles. It hurts me deep that they're still not included
Ganden Venorsi
Ataru shall set me free...
Ex-Editor-in-chief
SWTOR-RP [RIP]

Nightblazer
08.18.2015 , 11:25 PM | #1738
Quote: Originally Posted by Ganden View Post
Still waiting for chat bubbles. It hurts me deep that they're still not included
Already been said that unless they can resolve the performance issues they cause they won't be included. They know people want them and will get them in when they can.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

Schokoplunder
10.06.2015 , 12:54 PM | #1739
I almost gave up, but still: /push
Edit: I do understand their point of view concerning chatbubbles, and in fact I can even understand, that these cause or may cause performance issues. But still, I believe that they are capable of providing something at least similar. I don't know. Mabey some sort of "marking"," pointing" or "highlighting". My idea is - ONLY AND JUST ONLY IF REAL CHATBUBBLES WON'T BE POSSIBLE - to have some sort of highlightning.
Let's say we have person A and B. Person A types something into /s and sends the message. Person B will now recieve visual feedback. Something like a tiny arrow that points towards person A or mabey person A starts "blinking" (the way it does when you mouse-over someone). My point. It's not the chatbubbles themselfs being so annoying. It's the Problem they cause! And that Problem is the clustered and confusing chatbox that doesn't allow any customization. Yes I WANT and I NEED chatbubbles But in first place I believe we Need something that simply helps us identifying the one speaking/typing. How about some sort of arrow over their head? In a manner of "Hey you! Look at me! I spoke!"

But still: Dear SW:TOR Team. Please, please, please add real chatbubbles. The real one's. Please

lightningseven
10.13.2015 , 10:12 PM | #1740
NO. NO. and HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Click here to read the first Unread reply to this topic
Chat Bubbles: Please add speech bubbles and a toggle option to enable them for /say, /yell and /emote chat!
Originally posted December 17, 2011.
Last Updated September 28, 2015. <- Over 45 months - that's right, well over 3 and a half years - with hundreds of pages and thousands of posts/views in support and still going strong and mostly floating on top or near the top of the Suggestion Box forum with more and more players supporting the cause every day make this the longest running active thread on the forums - Thank you!

Introduction
Dear developers and other employees of Bioware, Lucas Arts, Disney and Electronic Arts!

A large part of the player base can't enjoy the game properly because of the lack of chat bubbles (aka speech bubbles). Therefore, on behalf of the affected players, we are hereby suggesting and formally requesting an option to toggle chat bubbles for spatial chat (/say, /yell, /emote).
This thread has started in beta shortly after chat bubbles were removed from the game for "optimization", reposted after the forum wipe and has now run an incredibly long amount of time while still remaining constructive and has garnered a lot of support ever since.

Fact is, chat bubbles make a big difference in the perception of human presence around the player in the game. With chat bubbles the chat text is strongly associated with the likeness of the player's character that you're talking to, leading to a much richer (and more natural) form of social environment. The game world simply feels too sterile and lonely without them.
One could say that chat bubbles are for the roleplaying and social aspects of the game what the group finder is for the PVE aspect and the warzone queing and the galactic starfigther hangar interfaces are for the PVP aspect. These three have been implemented a long time ago, yet players of the social and roleplaying aspects have never received their equivalent - speech/chat bubbles.

A large part of the player base, and an even larger part of the potential player base (and the player base that left the game because the feature has been missing so long and wish to return once it's implemented) needs an option to toggle on chat bubbles. Indeed, chat bubbles are a "must-have" feature to be able to enjoy the game and their playstyle for many of the socializers, roleplayers, casual players as well as players suffering from certain medical conditions out there. People are leaving the game every day due to this feature missing. On the bright side, many have voiced interest to return once the feature is implemented...but the longer it takes, the easier it will be to loose them permanently.

Even simple chat bubbles or overhead text for /say, /yell and /emote chat would go a long way:

Bare Minimum Implementation
The following is the Bare Minimum Implementation that a large part of the player base feels to be a must-have and most would feel comfortable with:

• Add chat bubbles (or, at the very, very least overhead chat text) with all the typed text in /say, /yell and /emote chat channels to appear above the head of the player characters that are saying it (above the head of other player characters as well as your own), in addition to the same text being displayed in the chat window.
  • Add a client-side option to toggle chat bubbles on/off on each computer individually so people can choose whether they wish to see chat bubbles above player characters' heads or not.

Additional Community Suggestions
The following are additional suggestions by players in this thread which would improve the experience even more and could be added after the bare minimum implementation detailed above has made it into the game. They are some of the ideas the community has come up with on how to design and implement chat bubbles really well (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Reasons: Why Chat bubbles?
The following is a short summary of the reasons why chat bubbles should be implemented.
Spoiler

Related Links
The following are hyperlinks related to the topic of chat bubbles (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Media Articles about the lack of Chat bubbles
The following are articles from various media on the topic of missing chat bubbles in Star Wars: The Old Republic (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Timeline of Official statements by Bioware on the topic of Chat Bubbles
Would you like to know what exactly the developers and other Bioware representatives said about chat bubbles? This is the place (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view)!
The following is a timeline with quotes from various official non-beta statements of TOR developers and other Bioware representatives on the topic of chat bubbles including links to the statements where available (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Original Post from the Beta Forums
A quote of the old, prose version of the original post that started it all and was first posted in the TOR Beta Forums back in Summer 2011 for those that like to read it (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

PS.: The development team will receive cupcakes once chat bubbles are in the game. The longer they wait, the older the cupcakes get. So hurry up, it's for your own good!
My NEW ideas for FUTURE #SWTOR6 #KOTET content:
Post-5.0 BUG LIST / FUTURE Content Requests AND Addendum: REVOLUTIONIZING SWTOR!
LEGACIES (Type "/CJOIN [legacy name]" IN CHAT to find me!): Satele Shan: CELESTIA; Star Forge: PALLADIUM; Darth Malgus: UNIVERSALYS