eliminate cooldown reset between arena rounds

sumquy

currently with arenas, if you win/lose the first round, 9 times out of 10, the same is going to happen the second round too. i think that one of the main reasons for that is that by resetting the cooldowns between rounds, you give unfair advantage to classes with powerful, but long cooldown duration defensives. the problem with mercs and snipers in arenas illustrates this: both classes have weak to middling defensives that are supposed to be compensated for by the short cooldown duration. resetting the cooldowns completely negates that and, imo, is the main reason they struggle so much. come the second round they still can't win because the enemies strong defensives are given right back to them. if that were changed these classes might actually have a chance to kill before being killed. again. i think if they changed this, we would see a lot more 3 round matches than we currently do. it might not change the final outcome, since the strong defensives would probably be back for the third round, but on the other hand, it would force players to think about which cooldowns to use instead of just spam all, they are coming right back anyway. discuss? Edited by sumquy

the problem is that your way you'd give an unfair advantage to those classes with short DCDs, and consider that some classes are viable only thanks to the ''spam all'' friendly system of arenas.

how do you mean? i think, for the most part, the defensives are relatively well balanced in terms of what they do vs. time cost. for example, a snipers evasion is just a weaker version of a maras undying rage. this is supposed to compensated by the shorter cooldown on evasion, but, with the reset, it's not. without the reset, you get the same effect as in an 8v8, where defensives keep their cooldowns through death.

also, which classes are only viable because of spam all? not sure what you mean.

Edited by sumquy

currently with arenas, if you win/lose the first round, 9 times out of 10, the same is going to happen the second round too. i think that one of the main reasons for that is that by resetting the cooldowns between rounds, you give unfair advantage to classes with powerful, but long cooldown duration defensives. the problem with mercs and snipers in arenas illustrates this: both classes have weak to middling defensives that are supposed to be compensated for by the short cooldown duration. resetting the cooldowns completely negates that and, imo, is the main reason they struggle so much. come the second round they still can't win because the enemies strong defensives are given right back to them. if that were changed these classes might actually have a chance to kill before being killed. again. i think if they changed this, we would see a lot more 3 round matches than we currently do. it might not change the final outcome, since the strong defensives would probably be back for the third round, but on the other hand, it would force players to think about which cooldowns to use instead of just spam all, they are coming right back anyway. discuss?

The cooldown reset is pretty necessary. As for favoring long cds vs short, well, that's kind of just the nature of things. The real issue runs deeper, which is balance, which Bioware can't handle. To be fair, they aren't alone, but they are by far the slowest to address everything, including balance, which is usually the slowest thing addressed in any game.

The cooldown reset is pretty necessary. As for favoring long cds vs short, well, that's kind of just the nature of things. The real issue runs deeper, which is balance, which Bioware can't handle. To be fair, they aren't alone, but they are by far the slowest to address everything, including balance, which is usually the slowest thing addressed in any game.

see, that is what i am asking. why is it "pretty necessary"? it is "the nature of things" right now, but why does it have to be? while i agree that balance is a huge issue, it is also a difficult one to fix. this is very simple, and i think would change arenas in the way i described.

Edited by sumquy

marauders would have, in round two, only camo and cloak of pain, no dome shield for snipers, deflection, battle readiness for shadows, no electronet for mercs, while operatives, PT, SORCS would have all of theirs shortly after 2nd round starts, and juggs could easily save some of their numerous cds. considering how 2 of the most op classes of recent swtor pvp would benefit from your suggested system i say no.

spam all classes:

mercs, PT, shadows, sentinels, operatives. on those classes you hardly can avoid to pop everything and any class without cloaks or force barriers must do it under focus.

marauders would have, in round two, only camo and cloak of pain, no dome shield for snipers, deflection, battle readiness for shadows, no electronet for mercs, while operatives, PT, SORCS would have all of theirs shortly after 2nd round starts, and juggs could easily save some of their numerous cds. considering how 2 of the most op classes of recent swtor pvp would benefit from your suggested system i say no.

spam all classes:

mercs, PT, shadows, sentinels, operatives. on those classes you hardly can avoid to pop everything and any class without cloaks or force barriers must do it under focus.

force barrier, saber ward, and sniper shield are all on 3 minute cooldowns and mara and sniper can spec for 30 sec reductions, while sorc cannot, EDIT:SORCS CAN AS WELL WITH FORCE HASTE. not sure why you think sorcs would get bubble back faster. and it's not like i am saying to nerf them, they still get full value on the defensive, they just wouldn't get to use them again before the cooldown runs out naturally.

"any class without cloaks or force barriers must do it under focus". well ya. maybe not asking the question correctly. why do powerful defensives like bubble, saber ward, etc. get their cooldown timers cut in half for arenas only?

Edited by sumquy

First thing, the OPs idea is not a good idea. But I was struck by the underlined statement.

What makes you believe that to be true? It seems like this idea would hurt Assassins, Mercs & Snipers the least, not the most.

Cooldowns - Defensive and Offensive

Powertech

Explosive fuel - 120 sec

Energy Shield - 120 sec

Kolto Overload - 180 sec

Thermal Sensor Override - 120 sec

Marauders

Cloak of Pain - 60 sec

Obfuscate - 60 sec

Force Camo - 45 sec

Bloodthirst - 300 sec

Frenzy - 150 sec

Undying Rage - 180 sec

Saber Ward - 180

Assassins

Blackout - 60 sec

Force Cloak - 120 sec

Deflection - 120 sec

Force Shroud - 60 sec

Overcharge Saber - 120 sec

Phase Walk - 45 sec

Sorcerers

Force Barrier - 180 sec

Polarity Shift - 120 sec

Unlimited Power - 300 sec

Phase Walk - 45 sec

Mercenaries

Electro-Net - 90 sec

Power Surge - 60 sec

Energy Shield - 120 sec

Kolto Overload - 180 sec

Thermal Sensor Override - 120 sec

Snipers

Evasion - 60 sec

Entrench - 60 sec

Diversion - 60 sec

Laze Target - 60 sec

Ballistic Shield - 180 sec

Target Acquired - 120 sec

Imperial Preparation - 180 sec

see, that is what i am asking. why is it "pretty necessary"? it is "the nature of things" right now, but why does it have to be? while i agree that balance is a huge issue, it is also a difficult one to fix. this is very simple, and i think would change arenas in the way i described.

Think of how the matches end, they burn their cds, and sometimes, right after, they still die. Well, now round 2 pops, and they have no cds. Guess who is getting tunneled?

Plus, it's as we said, if R1 was a failure, your team needs to refocus and change tactics, because even if you only lost because of teh op cds, you have to realize, you'll "win" r2 because of those mean old cds, but they will be back in r3, so what does it matter?

Think of how the matches end, they burn their cds, and sometimes, right after, they still die. Well, now round 2 pops, and they have no cds. Guess who is getting tunneled?

that is exaclty the point. it would force some thought about which cooldowns to use and when instead of just spam all.

Plus, it's as we said, if R1 was a failure, your team needs to refocus and change tactics, because even if you only lost because of teh op cds, you have to realize, you'll "win" r2 because of those mean old cds, but they will be back in r3, so what does it matter?

my point in the first line of op still holds, if you lose the first round, it is maybe 1 in 10 that things will be different in the second round irregardless of "change tactics." it matters, because class balance is hard and bw either can't figure it out or just doesn't care. this is easy and would at least bring it closer.

for some reason this post seems to have caught the attention of the one liner rehards, but only a few willing to address the question: why is it fair or right that powerful defensives get their cooldowns cut in half for arenas only?

currently with arenas, if you win/lose the first round, 9 times out of 10, the same is going to happen the second round too. i think that one of the main reasons for that is that by resetting the cooldowns between rounds, you give unfair advantage to classes with powerful, but long cooldown duration defensives. the problem with mercs and snipers in arenas illustrates this: both classes have weak to middling defensives that are supposed to be compensated for by the short cooldown duration.

Yes please, I will spec my ED to 90 sec and will dominate everything.

Actually this will hurt BH / troopers even more, because they will certainly lose kolto overload. Marauders will suffer the most, by losing two major 2+ min cooldowns reset.

Jugs will benefit

Operatives will benefit

Assassins and sorcs will stlll be able to PW and heal2full.

currently with arenas, if you win/lose the first round, 9 times out of 10, the same is going to happen the second round too. i think that one of the main reasons for that is that by resetting the cooldowns between rounds, you give unfair advantage to classes with powerful, but long cooldown duration defensives. the problem with mercs and snipers in arenas illustrates this: both classes have weak to middling defensives that are supposed to be compensated for by the short cooldown duration. resetting the cooldowns completely negates that and, imo, is the main reason they struggle so much. come the second round they still can't win because the enemies strong defensives are given right back to them. if that were changed these classes might actually have a chance to kill before being killed. again. i think if they changed this, we would see a lot more 3 round matches than we currently do. it might not change the final outcome, since the strong defensives would probably be back for the third round, but on the other hand, it would force players to think about which cooldowns to use instead of just spam all, they are coming right back anyway. discuss?

lol

pls tell me u run a sorc

lol

pls tell me u run a sorc

i have 4 different toons that i run dailies on, yes one of them is a sorc, and for him, what i propose would be a considerable nerf. it doesn't matter anyway. what i have learned from this is that all the talk about class balance is just ********. everybody says they want it, but if you start talking about the specifics of why some classes dominate and others are not viable, then i'm an idiot/troll/n2l2p/etc. it is those other classes that are op, mine is weak and needs a buff. this is my last post on this thread. i am done with it.

Edited by sumquy