Agent vs Smuggler forums

sidraconisalpha

I've levelled a 50 Operative, and began working on a Gunslinger. For most part, I blundered through levelling as an agent : the agent forums seemed to be filled with large amounts of complaints. No guides, nothing friendly, just large amounts of complaints and trolling.

Go on, ask a question about operative lethality-spec viability and see what responses you get.

(hint: It's usually the same few guys who will get the ball rolling with 'lethality is crap, concealment is crap, roll a sorc')

When the 'Impending nerf-bat' alarms sounded, IA forums were flooded with 'I UNSUB NAO NERF IS NOT JUSTIFIED SORC IS STILL OP' posts.

Just a few clicks away, I found the smuggler forums. A reprieve from the wretched hive of scum and villainy that was the Agent forums. Companion guides that don't start with' KALIYO SUCKS'! Rotation and skill guides for PvE and PvP! Videos! Theme songs!

Well, now that i've found a place where the Correllian ale isn't watered down with gungan spit, the holodancers don't charge you 50 creds a minute, and I get a goddamn wookiee pet, I might just stick to being a smuggler.

I've levelled a 50 Operative, and began working on a Gunslinger. For most part, I blundered through levelling as an agent : the agent forums seemed to be filled with large amounts of complaints. No guides, nothing friendly, just large amounts of complaints and trolling.

Go on, ask a question about operative lethality-spec viability and see what responses you get.

(hint: It's usually the same few guys who will get the ball rolling with 'lethality is crap, concealment is crap, roll a sorc')

When the 'Impending nerf-bat' alarms sounded, IA forums were flooded with 'I UNSUB NAO NERF IS NOT JUSTIFIED SORC IS STILL OP' posts.

Just a few clicks away, I found the smuggler forums. A reprieve from the wretched hive of scum and villainy that was the Agent forums. Companion guides that don't start with' KALIYO SUCKS'! Rotation and skill guides for PvE and PvP! Videos! Theme songs!

Well, now that i've found a place where the Correllian ale isn't watered down with gungan spit, the holodancers don't charge you 50 creds a minute, and I get a gosh darn wookiee pet, I might just stick to being a smuggler.

I have an operative, and I have to say I love the class. My tree is concealment, even though you burn through energy fast you crit pretty high. I was thinking maybe running a smuggler is it the same as an operative or is it a completely different class?

Haha I'm the opposite...about to finish a 45 smugs and when I do I was gonna start an IA because I've heard the story's so good. Now I know what I have to look forward to... :)

That seems to be a common theme across the classes...BH's are fun to play and have cool companions, but I hear the story is boring...IA gets a lot of hate for companions, but everyone loves the story...

The imperial agent story is quite good, in my opinion, though it seems to rub some people the wrong way. It involves a lot of cloak and dagger shennanigans, and as such you're often doing things that don't always seem directly related to the galactic war. The ending was superb, though.

The in-story respect you gain as the story progresses is quite nice - it really makes you feel like you've gained an incredible reputation when you can mouth off to sith lords and not get glowbatted to death.

For companions, Kaliyo's personality far outshines Ensign Temple's. Vector is.... kinda creepy. Lokin's like an 'old veteran agent/mentor' figure who also turns into a rakghoul. SCORPIO is like GLaDOS, which made her my favorite comp by far.

Well, now that i've found a place where the Correllian ale isn't watered down with gungan spit, the holodancers don't charge you 50 creds a minute, and I get a gosh darn wookiee pet, I might just stick to being a smuggler.

I am in the same boat...40+ IA Operative healer here. Looking for the other side...may try a Gunslinger and look for those dancers who only charge 50 creds. I was paying 75!

To the game play questions, yes we are the Agent's mirror class, so a lot of what you know palying them will aplly here as well. And a lot of what you find out in this happy place could be taken across to that hive of scum and villainy.

That said, there is a huge difference:

While we try to be humble, it is very hard, knowing how great we are.

have to agree with you there. out of the class forums i've visited, this one appears to be the most laid back. glad to have you aboard.

While we try to be humble, it is very hard, knowing how great we are.

i c wut u did thar

I have already mentioned this here actually. It is very obvious.

The agent forums were taken over by concealment spec elitist players and any mention of other spec's (including hybrids ... which are likely the most effective now ... yar!) was laughed off the forums. I completely stopped visiting it.

I then started coming to this forum and found MUCH more interesting threads, far less whining (recent nerfs aside) and interest in many things beyond 3 second gank rotations.

Consider this agent a friend to smugglers ... at least off the battle field :)

Edited by Tamanous

In part it's because the whole point of being a smuggler is being cool. In part it's because of the Smuggler forum culture in SWG.

Smugglers in Galaxies were repeatedly promised things that were never delivered, occasionally lied to, had our crafting abilities removed or nerfed for no apparent reason, and were otherwise the least likely to be FoTM or to be delivered any unique class content.

As a result, the ultra-hardcore, entitled jerkbags all ran away to be Jeedai or Fettishists, leaving us to crack jokes, make fun of one another, and otherwise note how much cooler we were than everyone else on the SOE forums. Eventually we would take turns becoming disenfranchised, leave, join a forum for other disenfranchised SWG smugglers, forget our logins to said third-party forum, come back to SWG, crack jokes again, leave again.

Finally, in the end, some of us were left wondering how many fat kids it took to create that unfortunate obsession with beer and pie that the later smugglers had.

Edited by Rhudian

Agent is favored by BW as they do not have to wait for animations to finish to actually do some healing or damage.

On the other hand Smuggler is screwed on purpose as we have like 5 different slow abilities that have long animations before we even begin to do damage.

There is a posted list that proves the love for IMP over REP by the number of slow abilities that are not mirror abilities. Any disadvantage is ALWAYS on the REP side.

Go ahead and claim it is not true but BW admitted that mostly the Dev played IMP and you can see the results just like you saw in WoW.

The good thing about mirror classes is, that if you can translate the abilities, you can always visit your brothers- and sisters-in-gaming for help.

I'm really starting to grow on my smuggler, during the first ten levels or so I was convinced I would never stop missing my brutally charming, British Imperial Agent.

Edited by Colster

Agent is favored by BW as they do not have to wait for animations to finish to actually do some healing or damage.

On the other hand Smuggler is screwed on purpose as we have like 5 different slow abilities that have long animations before we even begin to do damage.

There is a posted list that proves the love for IMP over REP by the number of slow abilities that are not mirror abilities. Any disadvantage is ALWAYS on the REP side.

Go ahead and claim it is not true but BW admitted that mostly the Dev played IMP and you can see the results just like you saw in WoW.

And all of this is relevant to this thread how exactly?

In part it's because the whole point of being a smuggler is being cool. In part it's because of the Smuggler forum culture in SWG.

Smugglers in Galaxies were repeatedly promised things that were never delivered, occasionally lied to, had our crafting abilities removed or nerfed for no apparent reason, and were otherwise the least likely to be FoTM or to be delivered any unique class content.

As a result, the ultra-hardcore, entitled jerkbags all ran away to be Jeedai or Fettishists, leaving us to crack jokes, make fun of one another, and otherwise note how much cooler we were than everyone else on the SOE forums. Eventually we would take turns becoming disenfranchised, leave, join a forum for other disenfranchised SWG smugglers, forget our logins to said third-party forum, come back to SWG, crack jokes again, leave again.

Finally, in the end, some of us were left wondering how many fat kids it took to create that unfortunate obsession with beer and pie that the later smugglers had.

Let me get this straight. If the Dark Side (Sith) has the cookies, then the slack side (smugglers) has the beer?

If so, I'm good with that. :cool:

And all of this is relevant to this thread how exactly?

Wel the title of the Post says vs so who does BioWare favor obviously the Imp as they have thel least problem of animation as the are all almost instant.

Really look at the Republic and then look at the mirror IMP and almost every single time you see a long animation for Repulic that delays our ablilities.

A Imp said it best when he observed that when a Smuggler goes to throw a bomb he can see he has time to interupt me easy. But when the Imp Agent does the same thing it is instant.

Wel the title of the Post says vs so who does BioWare favor obviously the Imp as they have thel least problem of animation as the are all almost instant.

Really look at the Republic and then look at the mirror IMP and almost every single time you see a long animation for Repulic that delays our ablilities.

A Imp said it best when he observed that when a Smuggler goes to throw a bomb he can see he has time to interupt me easy. But when the Imp Agent does the same thing it is instant.

buddy, the OP was talking about the behavior of people in the IA forums as opposed to the behavior of people in the smuggler forums..... you did actually read his post, right?

Wah, I have levelled both a Chiss Operative and a Human Scoundreless, and I discovered that I am not made for sinister things. Taking a light side and cracking a joke over a corellian beer and charm the next handsome lass is more fun for me than wondering whether/when that Sith lady is going to electrocute you after the first night, or fetching some torture droids for questioning captured Jedi, or invading a hospital to make sure the injured guerillia fighters will never again cause an unrest.

Besides, role-playing a female smuggler on a RP server still makes some ppl think I am actually a damsel in distress. You still get helped by from time to time in very gentlemen fashion. :D

Besides, role-playing a female smuggler on a RP server still makes some ppl think I am actually a damsel in distress. You still get helped by from time to time in very gentlemen fashion. :D

Haha!

Lucky you, there is no ingame marriage :p You could have to dodge more than just Corso's wedding proposal otherwise.

Haha!

Lucky you, there is no ingame marriage :p You could have to dodge more than just Corso's wedding proposal otherwise.

I very narrowly escaped it. Was just going through Corso's usual farmboy talk absent-mindedly when I saw the choices of "Yes" and "No" which kinda made me wonder. When I realised what was going on, I was in the "Disappearing Act" mode instantly and then avoided him in the ship corridors :D

Now I see the how girls don't have this easy and have to be on the guard :eek: