Crystals/Comms--> Credits

DarthJimilingus

So as we know with 5.0 all of our Crystals and Commendations are being converted to credits. We don't know the conversation rate as yet but I'm curious what people are doing with their comms/crystals. Just waiting and letting them convert? or getting all of the gear you can get now? Does it even make sense to accumulate gear as the tiers will most likely go up with 5.0 Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

We need to know what happens to gear vendors and all the vendors who accept crystals for items. If they are all staying in the game except taking credits instead we need to know both the new cost of items and the crystal to credit conversion rates before 5.0 in order to know whether to spend them before or after the patch. Hopefully they don't screw stuff up too badly. Another issue is that you can buy companion gifts with crystals as well as the rare crafting materials which depends on the GTN but you can sell these items for a fair bit of money so if the conversion rates are bad and you can't cash out before the expansion hits you will get screwed over and lose money.

They may not even announce it before the expansion if it is going to effect the in game economy that badly but that would also be kind of a bad thing to the players not to give them the info in advance of what crystals will be worth.

Im more interested in credit cost for mods/enchant/armorings.

BW is going to remove comms system becouse it's "DUHHHH!!!! ITS SO COMPLAKATED!! DOES NOT COMPUTE!!".

So... New players are gonna pay gredits for their armor updates. And im REALLY interested how much they are gonna pay for this "QoL" change :rolleyes:

I expect that if they're trying to sink more credits (which I'd hope and expect, due to inflation), then the conversions are going to be undervalued compared to current rates. So while a rank 5 purple gift might cost 10 Common Data Crystals right now, what we'll see is maybe those same 10 crystals being worth 10,000 credits on conversion, but the vendor for selling 20,000 in 5.0.

I'm holding on to all my stuff for now, but if they don't give concrete answers before I take my Thanksgiving vacation, I'll probably go ahead and spend any Commendations and Crystals I have.

So many good points already in this tread but I think like others, the main thing that has me concerned is that we don't know the ratio at which comms/crystals will be converted. I think as has been pointed out the most likely conversion ration is 1000 per common crystal, which would mean I got 100,000 credits for my common data crystal. Which to me doesn't seem like very much, i can make almost 3X as much doing a couple of weekly heroics. However if they up the rations to 10,000 then I'd be more interested as I would get 1 mil per toon that has 1000 crystal.

While this would be nice I don't see BW injecting that amount of money into the economy. I have 26 toons and the majority have 700-1000 common crystals on them so I'd be quite happy with that payout. I can also hear the screams of outrage when the players with 2-4 toons figure that out.

So I guess like the majority in this post I'm going to sit on them till we know the conversion rate and if it sucks I'll also be converting them into stuff I can sell. On second thoughts maybe I should do it now before there's a glut on the market and the price tanks.............

I saw the post about war zone commas being converted to credits. Did the confirm the same for the PVE crystals as well?

I'm with you. I haven't seen this about the crystals either.

It's going to be interesting to see because just with the PvP comms alone this will mean trillions more credits in the game economy. I am rather wondering if they just don't care about it inflating or if we're going to see a bunch more credit sinks.

I'm with you. I haven't seen this about the crystals either.

It's going to be interesting to see because just with the PvP comms alone this will mean trillions more credits in the game economy. I am rather wondering if they just don't care about it inflating or if we're going to see a bunch more credit sinks.

Here:

Hey folks,

It is our intent that Warzone Commendations will convert to credits (as will Crystals) with Eternal Throne’s launch. We are still working out the conversion rates and I am hopeful that I will have that information for you later next week.

-eric

Since vendors are staying but take credits instead knowing the conversion rate is not helpful for deciding to spend commendations or take the credits. Because vendor prices will might be totally different in relation to conversions ...

In other words you don't know if you can make a deal or not.

Edited by KnightOfTython

So as we know with 5.0 all of our Crystals and Commendations are being converted to credits. We don't know the conversation rate as yet but I'm curious what people are doing with their comms/crystals. Just waiting and letting them convert? or getting all of the gear you can get now? Does it even make sense to accumulate gear as the tiers will most likely go up with 5.0 Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

I am waiting till something official and specific appears. So far they have told that comms will be most likely converted to credits. That is too vague to react to this ... :cool:

I'll spend them while I've got them. Conversions rarely go well.

Well your feelings were confirmed. On the live stream yesterday they put out the conversion rates:

1 Warzone Commendation = 50 Credits

1 Common Crystal = 500 credits

1 Glowing Crystal = 1,000 credits

1 Radiant Crystal = 1,500 credits

Ill spend them all prior to the conversion. This definitely isn't worth it.

Well your feelings were confirmed. On the live stream yesterday they put out the conversion rates:

1 Warzone Commendation = 50 Credits

1 Common Crystal = 500 credits

1 Glowing Crystal = 1,000 credits

1 Radiant Crystal = 1,500 credits

Ill spend them all prior to the conversion. This definitely isn't worth it.

That's all?

Ugh. Stick an extra zero on the end of those and we might be getting somewhere but if that's the true conversion rate, that's just bullpoopy

That's all?

Ugh. Stick an extra zero on the end of those and we might be getting somewhere but if that's the true conversion rate, that's just bullpoopy

It doesn't really matter. If they gave everybody tons of credits, the inflation would explode and all the GTN prices would shoot up even more, meaning that all that extra money doesn't do you much good anyway.

You know Senya's Lightsaber? I am on TRE, one of the most populated servers. There is ONE of them on the GTN for 250 million. Give everybody tons of credits and it will just cost double after that, so having that many credits just makes no sense.

Well, I susppose everybody could buy their own guild ship then or something.

That's all?

Think about this for a moment: the typical cost of a piece of gear from a crystals vendor is 120 (some as low as 80 some as high as 150 but most are 120). if you buy a piece of gear from the crystals vendor you will get about 15k gold for selling it outright. That's roughly 125 credits per crystal.

Yes, there is the gifts and exotic materials from vendors for crystals. But the market for exotic materials is drying up fast because we expect new exotic materials with the new expansion (not known but probable), so that leaves common crystals for gifts. Any smart player (I know that they can be few and far between), would have heard of this conversion and stopped buying gifts off the GTN and just wait for the vendors to accept credits.

The prices would be less skyrocket-y if they finally did something about those credit spammers!

But they aren't harmed by what BW does there, the loyal players are. This game starts to insult and cheat its players at the same time.

Here is something else to think about:

with comms/crystals, there is a hard cap, and as one approaches that cap they have to make a decision: make a purchase that is totally unnecessary just to get "something" for those crystals, or hit the cap and not get anymore crystals.

With credits while there is a known hard cap, it is so high that very few will ever hit it. So there is virtually no risk of capping out and HAVING to make a purchase just to stay uncapped.

I am not saying I like the conversion rates (sure I would like it to be higher, but I agree with TUXs that it is better than I expected) and the conversion hard cap (IMO unnecessary), but I do understand the logic and rationale.