What happens if you DON'T transfer?

Blekinfar

I am kinda new to all this... I play with my wife in the game throughout both of our entire stories. I am just asking, since I cannot really find it by search or digging. What happens if you DON'T transfer? Are they closing the servers? Will they do a forced transfer to the stragglers at some point? If so, that would make the available name pool even smaller, I woudl think.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am kinda new to all this... I play with my wife in the game throughout both of our entire stories. I am just asking, since I cannot really find it by search or digging. What happens if you DON'T transfer? Are they closing the servers? Will they do a forced transfer to the stragglers at some point? If so, that would make the available name pool even smaller, I woudl think.

Thanks!

the majority of your server transfers to the destination server.. which is the logical thing to do.. you dont, end up playing by yourself hating the game in a short time then quitting id assume...

if you hold out long enough for paid transfers, you might realize that you were a bone head and pay to be moved to the server of your choice...

but of course.. whoever did that would rant on the forums about how unfair it was to have to pay for the transfer when others didnt have to...

dont forget that part:P

You will be playing by yourself on your dead server.

I think they MAY change the origin server into the trial servers for the new level 15 free to play trial.

But we would have to wait for the official stand on this.

Likely if you are an origin server, you were on one of the lower pop servers. This likely means that most people will be taking the transfer, leaving you and a bunch of unplayed toons. When they see fit, they will force you to transfer.

This is just speculation, but there really aren't any other options.

Thanks!

You will be forever alone.

You will be playing by yourself on your dead server.

I think they MAY change the origin server into the trial servers for the new level 15 free to play trial.

But we would have to wait for the official stand on this.

That would seem to be the direction they are headed. I heard Rift and/or WoW did something similar. It would make sense to separate the freebies from the paid sub population to avoid the inherent griefing and RMTs that come along with free stuff.

In answer to the OP. Nothing will happen right now. BW has made the transfers voluntary. So all you will see for the time being is less people on the server. They have said that they will maintain the transfers for as long as necessary, so it seems like you do have some time to decide. However, I would imagine that at some point down the line, the server will either be shut down or force merged into several other servers, if they don't shard as a trial server.

BJ

My guess?

If you don't transfer you will get to sit on a largely empty server while BioWare drops a press release stating that they had NO IDEA how POPULAR the COMMUNITY SUPPORTING TRANSFER SERVICE would be, and that since ALL EXPECTATIONS have been smashed, they will be relocating remaining accounts to the associated destination server and taking the unnecessary server hardware offline.

What you won't see is the word "merger" used anywhere. Because this isn't a merger... It is a spontaneous and unexpected player driven migration.

What you won't see is the word "merger" used anywhere. Because this isn't a merger... It is a spontaneous and unexpected player driven migration.

The soft drink I was drinking shot out my nose when I read that! :p

For some amount of time you'll be playing on a less populated server. After that, BioWare hasn't said.

If we follow the seemingly safe assumptions of no impending major influx of players and merges into "super-servers" at some point in the future, you'll probably be forcibly merged someday.

Our guild decided we didn't want to accept a transfer. We are pretty self sufficient so we can still do many HMs and Ops on our own. Plus PvP will be cross server so that doesn't really present an issue.

The only thing now is that I think we are being forced to move. I personally don't want to have to go and change the names of my characters. I'm happy with where I am even if other guilds leave... but now I'm not sure about that decision anymore since it may have just been futile...

My guess?

If you don't transfer you will get to sit on a largely empty server while BioWare drops a press release stating that they had NO IDEA how POPULAR the COMMUNITY SUPPORTING TRANSFER SERVICE would be, and that since ALL EXPECTATIONS have been smashed, they will be relocating remaining accounts to the associated destination server and taking the unnecessary server hardware offline.

i LOL'd.

My guess?

+1 Internet - this forum has more humor than the game.

Wow, that TRANSFER SERVICE offers INCREDIBLE VALUE!

If you DON'T transfer, you will be on a server with next to no one on it, which you might not mind if you just play with your wife. Although, I believe they pay for the servers in advance, so they probably still have time left on them, which is why they aren't forcing people to leave right now. If its true that they pay in advance, they might see that its financially better to have the rest of the players transfer also, so they can close some of the servers instead of paying for a whole server that barely anyone plays on..... Just my guess from things I've read.

Our guild decided we didn't want to accept a transfer. We are pretty self sufficient so we can still do many HMs and Ops on our own. Plus PvP will be cross server so that doesn't really present an issue.

The only thing now is that I think we are being forced to move. I personally don't want to have to go and change the names of my characters. I'm happy with where I am even if other guilds leave... but now I'm not sure about that decision anymore since it may have just been futile...

Where did you see PVP will be cross server? From what I've seen, any type of cross server will be their last resort...very very last resort. These server transfers are a main reason for them not having to do the cross server stuff, that is why we are having it a few weeks before patch 1.3

I heard Rift and/or WoW did something similar.

Trion labeled a bunch of servers "trial server" and forced people off them, in reality the trial / "free to 20" players are on the normal servers, there's no way to see the trial servers unless you still have a char on them.

They aren't doing cross-server PvP any time soon if at all. They've stated this repeatedly.

1 of 3 things can happen.

1, they leave you there and let you carry on

2, they set them as servers that are used by the incoming trial accounts to 15

3, in a few months they simply bang all the left over servers into one huge regional server (s)

Results are Spectacious.

I am curious as well... lots of people no longer play but may choose to come back in the future. They may or may not be keeping up with what is happening. Will be interesting to see what happens to their characters if they choose, say 6 months from now, to come back... Where will they be? Will they be all alone and leave again because of it?

Not everyone visits forums and reads log in screens, especially if they are currently abiet temporarily playing something else.

There must be thousands of players in this state.

Thanks!

Here's what I believe will happen, based on past experiences. If a select few on your server choose to hold out and not transfer, eventually your server will be merged or shutdown at some point.

If a merger happens then basically you'll just be logging into a server with a different name. No transfer needed. Everything is done for you and all the email and GTN restrictions put on you for transfers are normally negated during this process.

If your server gets shutdown, without being merged, you might be forced to transfer your character to another server. BW can then take the following steps: First....they may transfer your character to a server of thier choosing without consulting you after they announce the closure of your server. Second....they may inform you of the closing and ask which server you'd like to be transfered to. Third....they may announce the closure and then inform you that, since you chose not to take advantage of the free transfer, you have to pay a small fee to keep your chacter from being deleted by paying for a character transfer to a server of your choice.

If your server is offered the transfer you do not have to accept it. However, if there isn't enough people left on the server to justify keeping it open you might find future options a bit more restrictive and undesirable. This is just my opinion, not what will actually happen, but you might want to consider the worst case scenario if you choose not to transfer.

I am curious as well... lots of people no longer play but may choose to come back in the future. They may or may not be keeping up with what is happening. Will be interesting to see what happens to their characters if they choose, say 6 months from now, to come back... Where will they be? Will they be all alone and leave again because of it?

Not everyone visits forums and reads log in screens, especially if they are currently abiet temporarily playing something else.

There must be thousands of players in this state.

They've stated that the free transfers will remain available to the selected destination servers, probably precisely so people who reup can remain with their friends without too much difficulty. I've found that most of the time, my friends who unsub come back for the first big content patch, and that is probably one reason they chose to raise the level cap and add a new planet/race so soon in the development cycle, along with the HK fluff companion for incentive. Most of my friends who've gone to play other games stay in touch with.....me. I keep them informed.

But for those who haven't kept in touch, they rarely do something like reup unless they're aware of the state of the game. I imagine BW will do two things if they merge servers. I bet they send emails to inactive accounts talking up the next big content patch before it arrives, and discussing server transfers, because mass emails are easy. They've already done them. And they'll likely have some kind of notification when you log in if your character has been moved to a new server since you last logged in, if merges go into effect.

Thanks!

You will be like this guy.....

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4346/5824.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2126/5825t.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/654/5829.jpg

Edited by Majestic_Jazz