life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

I have no problem with having a couple Life Day items on the Cartel Market, I could have lived with that... But having all of the items on the CM is just something that really gets me. It seems rather disrespectful to the players, if you ask me, to put all of the items on the market. A couple, fine, but not all of them. It is a bit insulting, there's no doubt about that.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said I have no problem with them putting some of the Life Day items in the shop, but they went too far when they put ever Life Day object in there. They didn't even bother to give us an event but then pretend we have something to celebrate about, I'm referring to the article asking us to post our celebration picture. I've played my share of MMO and I’ve never seen something like this done. The fact they would do this, doesn’t make me hopeful for the future of this game. If there was a time to do an event, it was this month.

They didn’t even have to do Life Day, but they should have done something for the game 1st year anniversary. Beyond the pitiful fireworks that aren’t even as good as SWG fireworks. Before anyone say then leave, I still enjoy the game and want to support it, that why I am a sub, but some of the thing they are doing isn’t making it easy.

Hopeful they will see how upset the community is and never do this again.

I have no problem with having a couple Life Day items on the Cartel Market, I could have lived with that... But having all of the items on the CM is just something that really gets me. It seems rather disrespectful to the players, if you ask me, to put all of the items on the market. A couple, fine, but not all of them. It is a bit insulting, there's no doubt about that.

I agree, +1

I am a pvper and don't normally post on forums, however the direction the cartel pack going is absolutely DISGUSTING. I thought all those nice blaster, lightsaber, color crystal, etc should have been drops for raid, but you guys choose to ask people to buy it. I felt the pvers had been betrayed and disrespected.

BIOFAIL your greed really knows no bound.

BioWare have already addressed this saying that they have separate teams working on both and it will not effect new Ops sets.

Also so far they are just re skins with some Holographic's on them, which IMO makes them look worse.

Finally, player spending money on them, means that they have more money to develop more stuff throughout the game, so player spending money to get these weapons, means there are more resources to develop more content which mans you will get new pretty guns faster. IF they made them ugly, no one would spend money, there would be less resources, you would get less shiny new looking guns long run.

Seriously I could do without the Life Day event and I'm glad it isn't in there. Seriously anyone who saw the Life Day special would agree lol. Anyway we're getting a new planet in one next month or two, so its not like it really matters anyway.

Although I can agree I don't like the insane prices they have for it. I think I spent like $10 in total for the Life Day tree, tinsel bomb and orb.

I just wished that they allowed us to get the schematics for the fireworks, vanity items and pets in the Cartel Packs so that we can make as many fireworks as we want like they did in FFXI.

Not having a Life Day event is one thing.

Selling time limited "Life Day" items only on the cashshop for a silly price is another thing entirely.

BioWare have already addressed this saying that they have separate teams working on both and it will not effect new Ops sets.

Also so far they are just re skins with some Holographic's on them, which IMO makes them look worse.

Finally, player spending money on them, means that they have more money to develop more stuff throughout the game, so player spending money to get these weapons, means there are more resources to develop more content which mans you will get new pretty guns faster. IF they made them ugly, no one would spend money, there would be less resources, you would get less shiny new looking guns long run.

So, you think they will spend the money they make on developing more content for you to actually play?

Wait, hold on a second.

This is a business, and they are in business to make money.

The money they make will be spent on items for the cartel shop so they can make more money.

To make more items for the cartel shop.

It is, after all, a business.

If you think a single dime is going to go into actual development of content to be released as a free update you are going to be so disappointed.

People make a game for one of two reasons. They make the game because want to play it, and want to see other people play it, or they make the game to make money.

One of these things is always before the other. Like movie tie in games. They are always ****, because they are designed to make money, and the quality of the game is secondary.

World of Warcraft has been successful because blizz set out to make a kick *** game. They never expected more than a million subs. Max.

The more things keep moving in this direction the more I see this game was designed with monitization as the primary concern.

Yes, Business is Business. EA and BioWare are both Big Businesses and therefor have people who look into what makes people play. They are also designed by people who play games.

No PvE/PvP content = no players = no one to use the cartel shop.

PvE/PvP content and gear = more players = more people buying from the cartel shop.

Ofc its not all going to go into other aspects of development, its about balance. I personally so far like the cartel store, Nothing which give an advantage in competitive content, some customizable items. You can use it or not as much as you want. No one is forcing you too.

Edited by Jetronin

So, you think they will spend the money they make on developing more content for you to actually play?

Wait, hold on a second.

The money they make will be spent on items for the cartel shop so they can make more money.

If you think a single dime is going to go into actual development of content to be released as a free update you are going to be so disappointed.

People make a game for one of two reasons. They make the game because want to play it, and want to see other people play it, or they make the game to make money.

One of these things is always before the other. Like movie tie in games. They are always ****, because they are designed to make money, and the quality of the game is secondary.

World of Warcraft has been successful because blizz set out to make a kick *** game. They never expected more than a million subs. Max.

The more things keep moving in this direction the more I see this game was designed with monitization as the primary concern.

This is way to closed minded. BW makes money when people play the game period. And like everything else, there is only so much people will deal with. But if people are buying stuff off of the CM then they want it. But I wouldn't have this grand conspiracy that they will never make content. If they don't make content, people will get bored and leave, and their CM will mean nothing.

LOL, really? They have two teams working on it. I've actually, not jokingly, actually seen amateur mod teams fix bugs and put out content faster than Bioware has since the employment shake up. Sure, maybe it isn't Bioware's fault, but it is certainly EA's fault.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to hard to love this game as I have since launch. As I did even when my guild of 3 years left me here 2 months after launch. It's like trying to love a pro-sports team when you know the players are solid, but the coaching staff is in over their head and the Owner/management is micromanaging everything badly with dollar signs in their eyes.

Edited by Elfa

Wait, hold on a second.

I agree with you to a point, but lets face it, they have to make some content at some point, you can make all the stuff you want for the cartel shop, but if your playerbase has left the game because there is nothing to do, the cartel shop won't be much help at that point. they gota keep players playing to keep them buying, I don't really like the direction of the cartel shop, I sub I like to play the game, not purchase things from the cartel shop, I like to have options to get my items through game play and not the click of a button, I don't mind some things being exclusive to the cartel shop not just everything being in the cartel shop, thats my biggest concern...:)

LOL, really? They have two teams working on it. I've actually, not jokingly, actually seen amateur mod teams fix bugs and put out content faster than Bioware has since the employment shake up. Sure, maybe it isn't Bioware's fault, but it is certainly EA's fault.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to hard to love this game as I have since launch. As I did even when my guild of 3 years left me here 2 months after launch. It's like trying to love a pro-sports team when you know the players all solid, but the coaching staff is in over their head and the Owner/management is micromanaging everything badly with dollar signs in their eyes.

I've never seen an amature mod team make an entire MMO.

Bugs happen in every aspect of software development. Look at every MMO. After a major patch there is always several smaller patches to fix the random bugs that happen when you add a new patch.

We are not dealing with a mod that is already built on top of an existing game. We are talking about Billions of lines of code.

It was said if Apple managed to fix 99.99999% of all bugs on the new Iphone it would still have over 100,000 bugs just due to the shear amount of code.

Bugs are the nature of MMOs.

To the OP. The cartel market does not affect PVE in any way.

I don't mind the weapons and most of the armor, because as most have said, they're just reskins. But, I agree that epic items like the masks and the mounts (chair and throne) should have been drops and should be BoP. Why even bother raiding when better looking/more epic items can be bought on the GTN or CM? Edited by Galbatorrix

I don't mind the weapons and most of the armor, because as most have said, they're just reskins. But, I agree that epic items like the masks and the mounts (chair and throne) should have been drops and should be BoP. Why even bother raiding when better looking/more epic items can be bought on the GTN or CM?

But you see, this is a taste thing. Personally I prefer the look of the PvE and PvP gear. Infact with the way PvP gear is going with old sets being replaced as the base set gets buffed and the top set, some of these sets will be incredibly rare soon. More so than any CC items.

OP, as a mostly PVE player, I appreciate your concern. Only a very small part of me agrees with you (though all of me appreciates your sentiment). From a PVE perspective, it would have been nice to 'earn' this stuff but as another poster said, this is a huge boost in revenue for them, which will in turn lead to overall further development of the game. With the exception of the Space Gear (Bioware, you've made somewhat ambiguous post regarding this- DO NOT EQUATE CARTEL MARKET EFFORT AS EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN PLAYING THE GAME- NO STAT GEAR PERIOD ON THE MARKET) the cartel market items are cosmetic, and I like the effects. Of the two nifty lightsabers with effects, one will be for pvp and one for pve. In short, I'm ok with this- but thank you for thinking of players across the board from you!

I am a pvper and don't normally post on forums, however the direction the cartel pack going is absolutely DISGUSTING. I thought all those nice blaster, lightsaber, color crystal, etc should have been drops for raid, but you guys choose to ask people to buy it. I felt the pvers had been betrayed and disrespected.

BIOFAIL your greed really knows no bound.

You're right! Pardon EA/Bioware for trying to use our beloved SWTOR to make money. For shame!

There is NO guarrentee of any money from the SWTOR Cashshop going into SWTOR development, it goes into EA coffers, what then comes out of that (and what stays as EA profits and shareholder dividends) is entirely up to EA.

Buying of the Cashshop no more guareentees SWTOR development than having a Warhammer Online subscription guareentees SWTOR development or buying an EAsports game.

There is NO guarrentee of any money from the SWTOR Cashshop going into SWTOR development, it goes into EA coffers, what then comes out of that (and what stays as EA profits and shareholder dividends) is entirely up to EA.

Buying of the Cashshop no more guareentees SWTOR development than having a Warhammer Online subscription guareentees SWTOR development or buying an EAsports game.

No guarantee, but in all probability the revenue that a product makes determines how much development funding it gets, unless you're claiming EA develops products not based on profit but out of the goodness of their hearts?

Edited by Vandicus

Precisely. EA didn't reach its completely asinine goal of toppling WoW, so they held off developing major content for 4+ months to get a secondary source of revenue implemented. I have no idea why people think that, with that on their track record, any of this money is going to be put back into the game.