Qyzen - didn't like, liked, then didn't like again

kalimarr

My only character in SWTOR is a Jedi Sage currently level 28. When I first read about the companions I was all like "no really? Consulars have a Bossk like companion following them around? :( "

Once I actually started the game I thought meh I dont have to have him out doing missions in the game world etc he can just do crew skills for me. Me no likey.

The way he is introduced and his back story plus the fact he is a beastly tank companion made me like him. Very unexpected and unlikely team up (sort of like Han and Chewie) and was happy that the game managed to win me over with this companion. Now me likey!

So yeah things are good. Qyzen thinks I'm the next messiah calling me the Herald and that, he's great at archaeology (sp?) and yeah he's really growing on me. Get to around 2000 affection then he wants to have a talk. After this conversation I no longer like him again...

Here's why:

During the 2000 affection conversation, Qyzen reminisces about his time on Kashyyykk (too many y's or k's in there? :p ) and he he took great pride in telliing me how he hunted and killed Wookies! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was shocked. I was so pleased when I eventually found out that Qyzen is different from other Trandoshans (Bossk being my frame of reference and I've learned that Trandos are a brutal, violent hunter species) but after him telling me about hunting Wookies he is back in my dont likey books. I even berated him (chose the relevant option) during the conversation which he seemed to shrug off.

Then he goes on to tell me how he lost his eye on Kashyyykk and even let the prey get away.... when he joined me on Tython after being caught and having his points taken away by the Scoremaster I took pity on him. But now I just get the feeling he is an all round failure. He failed on Kashyyyk losing his eye and his prey. He failed on Tython and now follows me around trying to suck up to me calling me Herald in what I now interpret as a comment to flatter me.

Well I have another 22 levels to go so maybe I'll change my tune again. But at the moment I cant forgive him for slaughtering wookies (big Chewie fan here).

Theran Cedrax isnt much better but he's only just joined me so lets see how that goes...

Just sharing my thoughts while I'm bored at work.

My only character in SWTOR is a Jedi Sage currently level 28. When I first read about the companions I was all like "no really? Consulars have a Bossk like companion following them around? :( "

Once I actually started the game I thought meh I dont have to have him out doing missions in the game world etc he can just do crew skills for me. Me no likey.

The way he is introduced and his back story plus the fact he is a beastly tank companion made me like him. Very unexpected and unlikely team up (sort of like Han and Chewie) and was happy that the game managed to win me over with this companion. Now me likey!

So yeah things are good. Qyzen thinks I'm the next messiah calling me the Herald and that, he's great at archaeology (sp?) and yeah he's really growing on me. Get to around 2000 affection then he wants to have a talk. After this conversation I no longer like him again...

Here's why:

During the 2000 affection conversation, Qyzen reminisces about his time on Kashyyykk (too many y's or k's in there? :p ) and he he took great pride in telliing me how he hunted and killed Wookies! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was shocked. I was so pleased when I eventually found out that Qyzen is different from other Trandoshans (Bossk being my frame of reference and I've learned that Trandos are a brutal, violent hunter species) but after him telling me about hunting Wookies he is back in my dont likey books. I even berated him (chose the relevant option) during the conversation which he seemed to shrug off.

Then he goes on to tell me how he lost his eye on Kashyyykk and even let the prey get away.... when he joined me on Tython after being caught and having his points taken away by the Scoremaster I took pity on him. But now I just get the feeling he is an all round failure. He failed on Kashyyyk losing his eye and his prey. He failed on Tython and now follows me around trying to suck up to me calling me Herald in what I now interpret as a comment to flatter me.

Well I have another 22 levels to go so maybe I'll change my tune again. But at the moment I cant forgive him for slaughtering wookies (big Chewie fan here).

Theran Cedrax isnt much better but he's only just joined me so lets see how that goes...

Just sharing my thoughts while I'm bored at work.

isn't the thing that bested him on kashyyyk, a terrantarek?

And yea sure maybe he doesn't like wookies, but that's because a lot of his culture is based around killing wookies. because trandos don't like wookies and vice versa...

I cant remember the name of the creature that bested him. If a terranterek is a particularly fearsome creature then he clearly bit off more than he can chew.

Its the wookie slaying part that got to me, so I started to doubt him as a more noble version of his species and doubted even more his capability as a hunter.

This is all purely from a character rp standpoint. He's still a good companion in a game scenario and combat roles etc

Hopefully he'll do or say something that redeems himself in my eyes.

I cant remember the name of the creature that bested him. If a terranterek is a particularly fearsome creature then he clearly bit off more than he can chew.

Its the wookie slaying part that got to me, so I started to doubt him as a more noble version of his species and doubted even more his capability as a hunter.

This is all purely from a character rp standpoint. He's still a good companion in a game scenario and combat roles etc

Hopefully he'll do or say something that redeems himself in my eyes.

When you think about it most trandoshans arent as noble as he is. For example, other transdoshans are slavers and bounty hunters. So you think Qyzen is more noble than them? Also about the wookie thing, they hate each other. It is in his culture to kill wookies. Also wookies are not all sweet either.

At one point you see a wookie who goes around killing trandoshans when they are preforming a ritual that weakens them.

Kk, so it appears I over estimated his nobility. If it is a mutual hatred then so be it. I just thought Qyzen would have risen above the whole wookie killing thing. He wasnt even remorseful when I berated him. Hence my re-thinking him and his personality.

Our frienship has hit a bump in the road is all.

Just to play devils advocate: what about my reasons for Qyzen not being that good a hunter? Failed hunt on Kashyyk and captured on Tython?

Qyzen will have quests for you has you get up in level and loyalty.

You will confront a Wookie that has come to trap Qyzen and kill him. You will confront a Clan Leader working with the Wookie to kill others of Qyzen's race. You will make Qyzen Clan Leader.

He of all the pets is the hardest by far to get to 10k affection. He is the only one I have not at 10k.

Has a Sage I see more of them using Zenith then Qyzen.

Seems to me the most common pet used are Zenith for Sage and Theran for Shadow(Kinetics at least)

Nadia is fun and I use her when I play with my guildie that id Heal Speced and geared Sage.

Edited by Rejectoo

Kk, so it appears I over estimated his nobility. If it is a mutual hatred then so be it. I just thought Qyzen would have risen above the whole wookie killing thing. He wasnt even remorseful when I berated him. Hence my re-thinking him and his personality.

Just to play devils advocate: what about my reasons for Qyzen not being that good a hunter? Failed hunt on Kashyyk and captured on Tython?

It means he's willing to take on difficult challenges rather than easy ones for honor. The opponents in question are presented in story as some of the most difficult opponents even an average elite warrior would face.

to be fair on Kashyyyk instead of continuing of hunting wookies, he went after something he didn't know what it was he just saw a bigger prey. Then on Tython, well he was tricked he did say he thought it was Yuon Parr, rather then the twi'leks.

Despite Trandoshans' and Wookiees' traditional hatred for each-other, you have to analyze why.

You can, without too much of a stretch of logic, consider Trandoshans' desire to hunt Wookiees to be a major sign of respect and admiration. Wookiees are big. They're very strong. They're brilliant with machinery and ranged combat. To the Trandoshans, Wookiees are like the sharpening stone to their cutting blade. Enslaving them or separating them from their pelts is the ultimate trophy.

I'm not saying I agree with them, the vast majority of Trandoshans are considered evil by the vast majority of the galactic community, but it doesn't just mean that they sit around pooing on Wookiees. They fear and respect Wookiees to an extent that they don't with any other species.

I've seen two quest-related Wookies in the game so far. One was the wookie in consular companion story line mentioned earlier. The other one was a batshiat insane pirate wookie trying to rip my arms off. They're no Chewie and aren't exactly sweet.

You see Qyzen talking about the Score Keeper from when you first get him as your companion. You know, the concept deeply imbedded in his tradition? What made you think he'd not abide by certain things in Trandoshian tradition when he's all over the Score Keeper's nuts?

He seems to be more of a die hard old-fashioned Trandoshian. Keep in mind, Trandoshians see their religion to be valid, just like how Jedi and Sith see their respective interpretations of the force to be valid. You won't see him go, "OH MAN THIS IS WRONG BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE JEDI WAY" and not want to kill wookies.

Qyzen's been in the wookie/boogie hunting business for a long time now. He's pushing mid life. Failing two hunts doesn't exactly make him failure material to me.

Trandoshans originally lived in the Same Galaxy as the Wookies. In fact, they even visited Kashyyyk initially to start a new colony there but the Wookies drove em out - forcing them to leave behind one of their ships which then gave Wookies space travel.

When Cyzrka(sp) took over the Wookie Homeworld during the jedi civil war, the Trandshodans got slavery rights over the Wookies which probably is what started their hate relationship.

Later the Wookies got representation in the Senate, who then were the ones who "spoke" for the Trandoshans - which Trandosha of course didn't like. Which then led to Transhoda attacking a wookie vessel; you get the point..... They don't like each other at all and the feeling is mutal.

The relationship has always been iffy at best between them. So it wasn't surprising to see what Qyzen had done.

I appreciate Qyzen's love for the hunt.

For him it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life. In fact, it's the Trandoshan way of life, not just some path Qyzen decided to choose. It's part of his culture.

I play my Consular sort of like a diplomat, so we get along well in terms of our sense of justice, although we tend not to see eye-to-eye when given the choice between killing someone in the story or letting them live. My Consular will always choose to let them live.

But at least as far as Qyzen is concerned, his way of life is to hunt, and the Scorekeeper rewards greater points for taking down more formidable foes. Knowing that, it's easy to see how there would be times Qyzen might bite off more than he can chew, but ultimately it's his way of pleasing his deity.