Tank Gear

xMaranathax

I've been seeing and hearing a lot about how Veteran mode operations can be skanked. When will this issue go away? First, the skanks took over PvP and made Miti tanks a laughing stock. Now they are taking over Operations too? Someone said they ran a skank and successfully cleared MM Scum and Villany. This is absurd. Its like a healer wearing accuracy gear and having no issues at all.

Tanks should be required to wear tank gear. Whether it be endurance heavy, or mitigation heavy, a high dps should not be allowed. What's worse, is the devs lowered the dps output of tanks. It appears they never stopped to think tanks are simply running dps gear nowadays.

Do we need to make it so tank disciplines can ONLY wear tank gear?

You should switch to dps gear too.

BW puts wayyyyy too much defense in the gear, so you have to use different B mods anyway, so you may as well put in Lethal mods. As for relics, tank relics are trash because auto-proc'ing relics don't mitigate spike damage. And finally, an Operation like SNV NiM is so old that any good tank that has run it 5 million times SHOULD be able to do it in dps gear. Don't be a hater.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

For PvE you do need shield/absorb enhancements, not the crit/alac ones. I personally run high endurance power mods (lethal b) because def rating is ridiculously high already.

I also run the crafted dps relics with endurance on them because, as already mentioned the tank ones are relatively useless

Edited by KendraP

So i've crunched some numbers.

If a tank gears in 258s, full tank gear (Resistive Armorings/Hilts, Warding mods, tank relics) the stat pool sits around:

6664 Mastery, 7506 Endurance, 4386 Defense Chance, 1120 Power, 3916 Shield/Absorb (+148 shield from relics), assuming 14 shield/absorb augments.

Edited by xMaranathax

So i've crunched some numbers.

If a tank gears in 258s, full tank gear (Resistive Armorings/Hilts, Warding mods, tank relics) the stat pool sits around:

6664 Mastery, 7506 Endurance, 4386 Defense Chance, 1120 Power, 3916 Shield/Absorb (+148 shield from relics), assuming 14 shield/absorb augments.

Which is an absurb amount of wasted stats.

Tanks are still better off with the 258 set bonus, and then lethal mods and high endurance enhancements. That leaves you with just over 2000 points in defense, and around 1800 to 2000 in shield/absorb depending on the augs and left sides.

Skank tank needs to be clarified - there is a difference between a tank running with some dps stats, and the one's I've seen showing up in MM fp with less than 1000 points in shield/absorb.

Full dps gear with a shield might work in pvp, but for pve unless you are one hell of a good tank with perfectly timed dcd's that's just asking for trouble.

So how should BioWare fix the defense stat? I've been thinking of ideas, and I think what they need to do is change how defense chance is calculated. Opposed to a stat curve like other tertiary stats (such as critical, alacrity, shield, et cetera), defense rating should work similar to power. It seems fitting because power and defense are the secondary stats.

As of right now, power adds 0.23 bonus damage per point of power. There aren't any diminishing returns, and the more you stack, the higher the bonus damage. Defense should be similar by adding x amount per point of defense. Not exactly sure how this would role into the defense chance, but there's a way.

Any other ideas?

Edited by xMaranathax

You are confusing things, the issue is simply that most players are far overgeared for Operation content, mostly SM and HM but this applies to MM as well (apart from Gods), you can do those operations in a mix of 236/242 but since most people are running around with 258 people are overperforming a lot compared to what the content requires.

Assuming you have decent players, running one or two skank tanks is perfectly fine for most content cause healers are so overgeared that the extra healing required isn't an issue. Having tanks "only" use tanking gear would only result in massive overhealing and make healers simply do more off DPS.

Defense would be positive to get some reworks to how it works in terms of DR, since 3.0 tanks have been getting far too much and used alternative gear (absorb mods, high endurance power mods or normal power mods). But I wouldn't hold my breath cause based on the comments from the developers regarding 258 B mods and high endurance enhancements, they don't agree with the tanks in terms of gearing.

Yeah, I agree. I think a lot of players will be shocked when new content in 6.0 hits and they can't skip out on mechanics in MM Operations. I completely agree that we are all overpowered.

I think adding the B mods would help tanks out a lot more too. This would give them more endurance and less defense.

The overall issue I am seeing is that tanks are forced to take such a high amount of defense rating for a stat that isn't used much. Sure, in a high M/R fight, it is great. But most fights aren't high M/R anymore.

I am curious what would happen if they allowed defense to roll against I/E attacks. It would make defense a lot more valuable as a stat and more tanks would take it.

I don't PVP but I believe the reason Defense doesn't kick in for Internal or Elemental damage is because that would make tanks basically unkillable in PVP? I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I think the solution could lie in another game of a similar genre. Why have tank gear? Let's just simplify things. Power = Defense when you are in a tank stance. While we are at it, Critical = Shield and Alacrity = Absorb. That way you can have one set of gear and only have to possibly swap out one or two pieces.

I don't PVP but I believe the reason Defense doesn't kick in for Internal or Elemental damage is because that would make tanks basically unkillable in PVP? I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I think the solution could lie in another game of a similar genre. Why have tank gear? Let's just simplify things. Power = Defense when you are in a tank stance. While we are at it, Critical = Shield and Alacrity = Absorb. That way you can have one set of gear and only have to possibly swap out one or two pieces.

And then nobody will play tanks. Just because it will do zero dmg in solo content, like dailies. Or in pvp. Currently I keep shield rate and swap absorb/defence to crit rate when I need some damage to do.

using the provided gear at 258 gives you what, over 4k defense? that's a ridiculous amount of wasted stat, of course people are using dps mods in pve as well.

if 6.0 really takes away our ability to modify gear (current slot-locked mods and enhancements seem to hint at that), they better do *something* to make all that defense worthwhile or give tanks power mods altogether.

Anyone else remember in 1.0 when you could just buy the mods and enhancements you wanted? You want a mod with more endurance? Buy the B version mod. You want High Endurance, with Power and Shield on your enhancement? Buy the Advanced Erudition Enhancement!!! Gearing used to be a little more fun back then. However, the math was a little more complicated to get the "Optimal Stats".

Some links to that old 1.0 stuff...

Advanced Erudition Enhancement 25

OR

Advanced Reflective Enhancement 25

Edited by vicadin

• 3 weeks later...