Galactic Trade Network on Nar Shadaa, is it only local there?

KungFuKennobi

I noticed yesterday that GTN on Nar Shadaa had almost nothing to sell compared to the Fleet GTN. I just looked into the New Player Guide, it mentions Nar Shadaa has a special status for Items on sale, but it doesn't mention that GTN is not linked to the rest of the Galaxy. It is the only reason I've found to explain why there was nothing on sale compared to all the times i went on GTN before. it only had barely 4 hilts on sale, no Diplomacy items, 8 color crystals, etc. all filters were off. Why???

Is there another reason why there was nothing on sale yesterday on Nar SHadaa GTN?

It's a neutral Trade Network that is local to Nar Shadaa only. You will notice it is not actually called a Global Trade Network either. The fact that it is local is why it is all but dead, because no one wants to spend the time traveling to Nar Shadaa just to post or to look for something. It's far too much of a hassle that it is not worth the time. The might as well take it out of the game unless they fix it so that it is more accessible. Maybe even put a Hutt Trade Terminal in the fleets? Probly not gonna happen tho...

The GTN on the moon of Nar Shaddaa is separate on its own. It is a neutral "auction house" run by the Hutts. Because it is isolated and requires a starship to get there, not many players use it on a regular basis. Another reason is because it is not linked to the faction-based GTN.

On a side note, the faction-based Galactic Trade Network isn't really galactic at all. It was nerfed toward the end of beta as all the GTN kiosks were removed from all planets except for each faction's capital planet. The faction-based GTN can be accessed at both the Fleet and your faction's capital planet.

There are 3 different GTN

Republic GTN (accessible to republic players only)

Imperial GTN (accessible to imperial players only)

Hutt Cartell GTN (accessible to republic and imperial players)

Obviously people visit Nar Shaddaa less often than they do their fleet, so of course stuff on the Hutt Cartell GTN is going to sell less often than stuff on republic or imperial GTN

Despite the Hutt Trade Network on Nar Shaddaa being a tad out of the way, and more often then not scarce of many items, occasionally you can find a great many deals up for sale.

Often times I take a quick trip to Nar Shaddaa when I am looking for some needed crafting materials. While it's never a sure bet, I can sometimes find some of the things I need at prices far below what I'll find on the Galactic Trade Market on either of the fleets.

If there is something you really need for crafting, it would behoove you to at least check the HTN once in a while since you may get lucky.

Edited by Taren

I know it will break the lore BUT I feel that the terminal SHOULD be accessible on any planet. I don't mind if they are in starting are on each planet (except starting planets)

I think that will help people "stocking" the network. People can sell only to Empire/Rebel (RP wise) or can sell to Hutt Network. To entice players, maybe the listing fee on the Hutt will be cheaper ;) since can only be access on the planetside (while each fleet will only have their faction auction house)

Possible added idea: maybe allow us to BUY a terminal for our ship (I know that will break lore but we can access cargo anywhere as long there is a terminal doesn't really make sense either) We can buy our faction terminal or hutt terminal ;)

I'm playing a Sentinel and I found a Dark Side offhand weapon on Tatooine so I made the trip to Nar Shadda to put it up for auction on the HTN. It was such a pain to locate and travel to that I wished I had just vendored it. I had to help some strangers with a heroic to make the trip feel worth it. The item did sell, though. In retrospect, there are enough Republic players trying to go Dark Side that I probably would have had a fair chance of selling it on the fleet GTN...

I'm playing a Sentinel and I found a Dark Side offhand weapon on Tatooine so I made the trip to Nar Shadda to put it up for auction on the HTN. It was such a pain to locate and travel to that I wished I had just vendored it. I had to help some strangers with a heroic to make the trip feel worth it. The item did sell, though. In retrospect, there are enough Republic players trying to go Dark Side that I probably would have had a fair chance of selling it on the fleet GTN...

Alternatively, maybe instead of using my idea above, maybe allow players to use the "SAME" terminal and choose if they want to sell on HTN for a slightly higher cost but more customer base vs faction.

Buyer can see it all and just buy from anyone. This will promote more people to put on auction house.

Also, REMOVE THE TIME LIMIT for stuff to sell! Since you can only list items for sale for a max of 48 hours it's a real pain to relist things. Because of that I toss stuff on the market and if it ends unsold I simply vendor it... it isn't worth the trouble. Lately I haven't even bothered tossing much onto the market in the first place... I'm just going to vendor it in a couple of days anyway so why bother?

Added to the ludicrous anti-"search" function of the market it's hard finding things even if they are listed for sale. If the dev's want the market to attract interest and be functional for players then first you need to have a "list until it sells" option (as default) and you need functional search tools to find what you're after.

A second goal would be to link the various server markets; this would lead to far greater availability and stable demand from server to server. One server has a glut of item "x", another has an extreme scarcity of "x" but loads of "y". Linking the market cross server takes care of both problems.

I find that the market here is one of the worst design decisions in the game, along with the extremely slow travel (hey, we fly in FTL starships and have self aware droids as companions yet we have to WALK everywhere? And our "high tech" speeder bikes can't break 30MPH? Didn't the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi move MUCH faster than that?) and a rather shortsighted armor design for Jedi. Still, for all the (plentiful) warts in the game I am having fun at the moment... there's just so much room for improvement it isn't even funny.

Also, REMOVE THE TIME LIMIT for stuff to sell! Since you can only list items for sale for a max of 48 hours it's a real pain to relist things. Because of that I toss stuff on the market and if it ends unsold I simply vendor it... it isn't worth the trouble. Lately I haven't even bothered tossing much onto the market in the first place... I'm just going to vendor it in a couple of days anyway so why bother?

Added to the ludicrous anti-"search" function of the market it's hard finding things even if they are listed for sale. If the dev's want the market to attract interest and be functional for players then first you need to have a "list until it sells" option (as default) and you need functional search tools to find what you're after.

A second goal would be to link the various server markets; this would lead to far greater availability and stable demand from server to server. One server has a glut of item "x", another has an extreme scarcity of "x" but loads of "y". Linking the market cross server takes care of both problems.

I find that the market here is one of the worst design decisions in the game, along with the extremely slow travel (hey, we fly in FTL starships and have self aware droids as companions yet we have to WALK everywhere? And our "high tech" speeder bikes can't break 30MPH? Didn't the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi move MUCH faster than that?) and a rather shortsighted armor design for Jedi. Still, for all the (plentiful) warts in the game I am having fun at the moment... there's just so much room for improvement it isn't even funny.

server wide market would be pretty cool (not sure if that can happen, but still cool idea)

I don't think we should have "list until we sell" cause then some items might be there forever and clog the auction house. I say at LEAST give us longer time like a week (change 1 to 2 days to 5 and 10 days)

I think the walking is to keep the world smaller. If we can travel fast from day one, then the world is will be much smaller. I think the current system is good, but I do suggest that level 40 bike should be at LEAST 120% vs 100%. I mean 10% increase for 210k credits? yeesh!

But then you'll be undercut 2,000 times and still won't sell it (depending on the GTN health on your server)

That will quickly become self correcting as prices stabilize. If people are undercutting you then the demand for your item isn't enough to command the price you're asking. The problems now are twofold... first because it's such a nuisance to have to relist everything constantly people tend to not bother and just vendor items instead causing a shortage of available items on the market. It's too much trouble to leave the planet you're on, go to the fleet/capitol and list the stuff, particularly when a fair amount of it will come back to you the day after tomorrow. The lack of a supply on the market makes it less useful for players trying to find things so they don't bother and just go to the vendors for their gear. Also the lousy market interface makes finding items a chore.

I've come from City of Heroes where, while admittedly our market has it's problems, at least there tends to be a decent supply of most items and prices tend to hold relatively stable. The very most desirable items are, of course, in short supply and priced accordingly but you can drop by the market on your way to a mission and toss stuff on the market and not worry about it; it'll stay there until you take it down or it sells. If you price something too high then yes, it'll sit there unless you take it down (paying the commission) and relist it at a lower price. Because of that, and because all servers and both sides use the same market, there's nearly always supply and a given item tends to always sell in a given price range. It means that good items tend to be more expensive and rare while the junk tends to always be available dirt cheap.

That means that buyers can find stuff they want while sellers get top dollar for the good items they have drop. Naturally the rich players have an easier time getting top tier stuff, but the perfectly good lesser stuff frequently sells at bargain basement prices allowing the rest of the players to acquire good items at good prices. Sure, everyone would like to have the absolute top tier stuff but that stuff is rare and very rare because it doesn't drop often.

The nuisance of constantly relisting items causes a lack of supply almost makes the market irrelevant; if you need it then it isn't for sale and if you want to sell it the buyers aren't there.

I think it would be neat if you could post stuff on either faction, but you'd have to go to the kiosks in a pvp area, like on Tattoine. I think if they made cross faction items or crafting mats drop you would have more people in those PVP zones trying to sell items.

Storywise, this would seem not to make too much sense as you'd be supplying your enemies with gear and items, but then they would be supplying you with credits :-)

I tend to get a lot of opposite faction schematics so have to use the HTN to sell any of those I craft, ideally it would be nice if they allowed Smuggler and Agent (or BH) classes to be able to email each other, it would fit with their characters, wouldn't mess up lore and allow you to transfer things between factions which could then be put on the factional markets, much better than the HTN, a smuggler truly would be a smuggler then :D

I tend to get a lot of opposite faction schematics so have to use the HTN to sell any of those I craft, ideally it would be nice if they allowed Smuggler and Agent (or BH) classes to be able to email each other, it would fit with their characters, wouldn't mess up lore and allow you to transfer things between factions which could then be put on the factional markets, much better than the HTN, a smuggler truly would be a smuggler then :D

You can use the HTN to overcome the same-faction only mailing system, it's just a bit more of a hassle because both characters have to travel to Nar Shaddaa. I don't know if it was intended for us to buy stuff from our other characters, but it certainly gives the HTN a valuable function for people who play both factions.

Funny that niether SWTOR nor SWG had smugglers that actually smuggled. Seems like an opportunity for all those cross factions schematics. Maybe smugglers should have an ability to change the schematic from one faction to another?

The GTN on the moon of Nar Shaddaa is separate on its own. It is a neutral "auction house" run by the Hutts. Because it is isolated and requires a starship to get there, not many players use it on a regular basis. Another reason is because it is not linked to the faction-based GTN.

On a side note, the faction-based Galactic Trade Network isn't really galactic at all. It was nerfed toward the end of beta as all the GTN kiosks were removed from all planets except for each faction's capital planet. The faction-based GTN can be accessed at both the Fleet and your faction's capital planet.

Incorrect.

There are imperial and republic GTN terminals on Tatooine, in the Outlaw's Den area.

Can imperial sell on the republic terminal there, and vice versa?

No, sadly. They're in the same room, two of each, but it gives an error message if you try to use the other faction's terminal. It would have been nice to be able to slice in though (Hey, I have Mako, and she's good enough to crack top secret records...).