Only issue with Disney.

Murasakikitsune

From what I know of Disney, I expect it will have been a smart move. However, I have one major issue.

Disney has a very harsh history of shutting down fan work.

Star Wars is a highly fan-driven series. Lucas himself personally observed face-to-face many violations of his intellection property, and was proud of what he saw. The series has become deeply rooted into our modern pop culture, and it would be a disaster if Disney treated Star Wars the way they treat much of their IP.

Do you expect Disney will do the smart thing and leave fans well enough alone? Or do you expect they'll cause problems for us?

All I know about disney and mmo's is while I was waiting for swtor and fed up with wow. They bought UTV Games and shut down almost all the games they had going including the game Faxion (6 months old) which I loved and since then the Austin part of UTV has not produced anything since from what I can tell . While I was seething I read they were buying out small studios and publishers and just shutting them down. So who knows what will happen. I am still p.o'd about Faxion!

I hear you.

But with the clone wars cartoon out there, i dont feel that much of the EU has been safe anyway.

Greedo is an old vet by the time he meets Han and the mandalorians, well they are alot different as well.

There has already been a great deal of changes.

From what I know of Disney, I expect it will have been a smart move. However, I have one major issue.

Star Wars is a highly fan-driven series. Lucas himself personally observed face-to-face many violations of his intellection property, and was proud of what he saw. The series has become deeply rooted into our modern pop culture, and it would be a disaster if Disney treated Star Wars the way they treat much of their IP.

Do you expect Disney will do the smart thing and leave fans well enough alone? Or do you expect they'll cause problems for us?

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/hollywood-studios/special-events/star-wars-weekend/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4HlOkvV_U

not an issue.

All I know about disney and mmo's is while I was waiting for swtor and fed up with wow. They bought UTV Games and shut down almost all the games they had going including the game Faxion (6 months old) which I loved and since then the Austin part of UTV has not produced anything since from what I can tell . While I was seething I read they were buying out small studios and publishers and just shutting them down. So who knows what will happen. I am still p.o'd about Faxion!

So you think that they bought Lucasfilm to shut them down? They are hardly a "small studio." Fine, fine, you're upset about Faxion, but it seems that that is all. I don't have any idea what this has to do with the OP.

So you think that they bought Lucasfilm to shut them down? They are hardly a "small studio." Fine, fine, you're upset about Faxion, but it seems that that is all. I don't have any idea what this has to do with the OP.

No but they have no problem closing things down early in it's running Swtor>Faxion but with all the negative talk about swtor you think I trust them nor would i want to put money or time into something that could be easily shut down. Hopefully they can address any concerns. I have no idea why you care about my reply you have no part in my experience with Disney absolutely none!

To the OP, we won't know how it will go until it happens. I have a Star Wars fan fiction blog. Though I have taken a break from it, I do plan to continue publishing stories there at some point. But if they shut it down, atleast I had fun doing it. :)

No but they have no problem closing things down early in it's running Swtor>Faxion but with all the negative talk about swtor you think I trust them nor would i want to put money or time into something that could be easily shut down. Hopefully they can address any concerns. I have no idea why you care about my reply you have no part in my experience with Disney absolutely none!

couple things.

1. Disney didn't buy EA.

2. EA has a contract to license out Star Wars odds are its at least a 5 year contract starting after release.

3. As long as EA has the contract Disney gets the money so it doesn't help them to shut it down.

couple things.

1. Disney didn't buy EA.

2. EA has a contract to license out Star Wars odds are its at least a 5 year contract starting after release.

3. As long as EA has the contract Disney gets the money so it doesn't help them to shut it down.

Exactly. EA has signed an agreement that licences them to produce the Star Wars IP and should Disney try to pull the licensing early, it would be a breach of contract that would cost Disney millions. Having bad publicity isn't something Disney avoids, breaching contracts as a standard makes them less appealing to do business with. While Disney can do a lot, it can't do everything on it's own. For example, the next 3 movies will have to be done with Fox, even though Disney has Touchstone. This is due to the licensing. Just like Star Trek must be done with CBS' approval. Disney puts no money into this game, nor does Lucasfilm/Lucas Arts. They just recieve money as part of the licensing contract with creative oversight.

Edited by Thylbanus

OP: For Disney's future treatment of Star Wars and Indy fan creations, you'll have to look at what they've done with Marvel properties. As far as I know not much has changed with respect to Marvel fan creations.

As for SWTOR not much will change, Lucausfilm mainly collected the licensing checks from EA/Bioware. They have some input on what is allowed and disallowed, but that's about it. The contract EA/Bioware signed with Lucausfilm still stands and nothing outside of signing a new contract can change that. Disney has to honer all prior contracts made by Lucusfilm, just like they had to honor all contracts made by Marvel (X-Men is still licensed to Fox, Spider-Man to Sony, and Avengers/Iron Man/Thor/Captain America to Paramount)

As for Mickey Mouse being written into any SW movies of games, All I can say is... I haven't heard about Disney forcing Mickey or any other character into issues of Spider-Man over the last 2 years. So I really doubt it will happen with SW.

The only major issue I see would be with ILM, I cannot imagine other production studios giving money to Disney (indirectly) for CGI effects. While ILM was independent separate production companies supporting them would be fine, but handing money over to your competition seems like a bad idea to me.

You mean like Disney won't let robot chicken make fun of Star Wars anymore or what? Who cares they are making new movies. They aren't going to shut down your mickey mouse fan fiction. Only if you're making money off it should you be worried. Edited by MorgonKara

• 4 weeks later...
DIsney has sucked for a long long time. What I think of them now is mainly as producers, not anything creative.

Disney has always sucked. They literally made only one movie, changed the characters a bit and sold it to people over and over because the general public is too stupid to notice. Want proof? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKo5veKjVU

You mean like Disney won't let robot chicken make fun of Star Wars anymore or what? Who cares they are making new movies. They aren't going to shut down your mickey mouse fan fiction. Only if you're making money off it should you be worried.

Disney is a member of the MPAA, an organization known outside Hollywood solely for suing everyone and their dog, the majority of whom weren't making a profit.

Edited by Jawa-Punter

Disney has a history of stopping people from making money using unlicensed artwork.

I like the idea of fan art and fan fiction but it crosses the line when people are making money from unlicensed artwork.

Edited by Tomb-Stone

Disney has always sucked. They literally made only one movie, changed the characters a bit and sold it to people over and over because the general public is too stupid to notice. Want proof? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKo5veKjVU

Nonsense. You actualy left out where Disney, owns plenty, of film companies out there, companies that actualy made great films.

The following is a list of movies that came from the Disney Corporation's subsidiaries...

Pulp Fiction

Clerks

No Country For Old Men

From Dusk Till Dawn

The Aviator

Gangs of New York

There Will Be Blood

Trainspotting

City of God

Kill Bill 1

Kill Bill 2

The Royal Tennenbaums

Duce Biggalo: Male Giggalo

The Waterboy

Enemy of the State

Coyote Ugly

Oh Brother Where Art Thou

The Hitchhiker's Guide

Apocalyptica

The Tempest

Real Steel

War Horse

The Help

Lincoln

Arachnophobia

Encino Man

The Rock

Grosse Point Blank

The Sixth Sense

Angels In the Outfield

Those are just the ones I picked out. If you want the full catalogue just look through the products of the following companies...

Walt Disney Pictures

Touchstone Pictures

Hollywood Pictures

Caravan Pictures

Miramax Films

Buena Vista Home Entertainment

ABC.com

ABCNews.com

Oscar.com

Disney.com

Family.Com

ESPN Internet Group

NFL.com

NBA.com

NASCAR.com

Soccernet.com

Buena Vista Music Group

Hollywood Records

Lyric Street Records

Mammoth Records

Walt Disney Records

ABC

The Disney Channel

SoapNet

ESPN (partial ownership with Hearst)

A&E (partial ownership with Hearst and GE)

The History Channel (partial ownership with Hearst and GE)

Lifetime (partial ownership with Hearst)

E! (partial ownership with Comcast, MediaOne and Liberty Media)

Television Stations 10 television stations

Television Production/Distribution Buena Vista Television Touchstone Television Walt Disney Television, Animation

Radio

ABC Radio Networks

Radio Disney

ESPN Radio

27 radio stations

Books

Walt Disney Company Book Publishing

Hyperion Books

Talk/Miramax Books

Magazines

Discover Magazine

Disney Magazine

ESPN Magazine

Talk

US Weekly (50% stake)

Daily Newspapers

County Press (Lapeer, MI)

Oakland Press and Reminder (Pontiac, MI)

Narragansett Times

St. Louis Daily Record

ports

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Anaheim Angels (partial ownership)

Theme Parks

Disneyland

Walt Disney World

Disney-MGM Studios

EuroDisney (partial owner)

Disneyland Japan

Epcot

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disney's California Adventure

Disney Cruise Line

Theater

Walt Disney Theatrical Productions

Oh.... and I almost forgot... Lucasfilm.

That list is 11 years out of date as well, but in those 11 years they acquired Pixar and the value of the corporation has doubled

Every one forgets that will be lucasfilms still making the movies...

Edited by Spartanik

flimsy strawman

I obviously wasn't saying they only made 1 movie ever. I was saying their old cartoons, which is what made them rich in the first place, were all one cartoon with the characters modified. I was using it to illustrate that the suckage is not new and has in fact been present from the beginning.

Edit: And you included an Adam Sandler movie in a list of "great films", therefore your opinion is invalid. About anything. Forever.

Edit 2: And you actually think Disney had anything at all to do with most of your list? Disney, the company who thinks open toe shoes are too sexy for its employees to wear in Disneyland? That's who you think is responsible for Trainspotting? Seriously? Plenty of companies, including my last job, are owned by other companies who have little to no interaction with them. I'd bet my left nut that's the case here.

Edited by Jawa-Punter

I obviously wasn't saying they only made 1 movie ever. I was saying their old cartoons, which is what made them rich in the first place, were all one cartoon with the characters modified. I was using it to illustrate that the suckage is not new and has in fact been present from the beginning.

Edit: And you included an Adam Sandler movie in a list of "great films", therefore your opinion is invalid. About anything. Forever.

No it isnt, the films worth stands on their own without my or even yours opinion. I just provided examples so that everyone can see, they actualy made sucessfull films, or rather those companies made it for them.

That list Not even translates my personal taste on movies, its there to make weight to the point to begin with. Nice strawmen yourself. :p

But to your original point all art works that way anyway, the japanese Anime was also very influncied by early disney works for instance, interesting to see, all of this years Anime also has it take on holywood with live action films, and american animation as well. Even star wars was strongly influencied by the classic adventure books like "john carter of Mars".

Honestly historicaly when star wars didnt see George lucas directing in their films , it was when it was at its best "empire strikes back anyone"?

let just hope we get a decent director. Im not very worried about disney changing the status quo that much on sw media. Probably because not only depends on them.

Edited by Spartanik