Back from long break a bit confused

Mupus

So the worries i got is fact that im back in swtor after half year break and want bang one in with my commando, but i dont know if i should stay commando cause after reading through several threads i get an impression that the only thing commandos good at is PVE and sucking off in pvp. So yeah share what you think about that should i stay with commando till endgame or should i reroll to vanguard? :confused:

So the worries i got is fact that im back in swtor after half year break and want bang one in with my commando, but i dont know if i should stay commando cause after reading through several threads i get an impression that the only thing commandos good at is PVE and sucking off in pvp. So yeah share what you think about that should i stay with commando till endgame or should i reroll to vanguard? :confused:

I have pvped with both and I have to say that with a commando, you have to be far more situationaly aware than with a vanguard because of your lack of movement.

The vanguard is, by far, a lot easier to pvp with because of their movement and the number of insta cast abilities that they have.

That being said, there is something immensely entertaining about shooting a Sith in the face with a Demo Round and watching them die because they were stupid enough to let you get off all three of your Grav Rounds.

• 3 weeks later...
Just hit 37 on my commando and tbh i love smacking down imps in pvp. Lot better in a group but seems to do alright soloing most people, i find that i have to los a lot but hey that's life and interrupts just give me an excuse to use another perk, proc,attack on who ever is attacking me. Down side i get targeted a lot as my trooper puts out a lot of damage. Cant wait till i get demo round :D

I've got a level 45 Vanguard on Jedi Covenant and a level 50 commando on Harbinger. It's definitely easier to pvp with the vanguard, but I enjoy the challenge of pvp with the commando. I can't stay still, must keep moving, must pay attention to my surrounding, throw some damage, run away, sneak back, throw some more damage, rinse and repeat.

Having played both I def like the commando more but I thrive on ranged too. 10m is death to me.

But commando needs much more skill to play than most classes, once you become good at strafing you can really improve your survivability. Don't listen to people who say it's worthless, I'm not a pro player but in recruit gear I'm usually placing at 50% of my team in medals, and upper 25% in dps. Doesn't get you the MVP votes but considering the circumstances its not bad.

However you will die alot, people assume you're an easy target, and even if that's only part true when 3 marauders focus on you you will go down. I've actually had players peel off my healers to attack me. But by burning my defensive cooldowns I didn't go down easy and it diverted 3 enemies to one person. Doesn't win you medals but it does help the team. Especially when you can burn them all down to 60% health before you fall.

Commando is more or less fine in Assault Build with full WH/augs gear. I have about 20k and burn pretty painfully BUT what you must learn or surely forget that you're not Rambo anymroe as we were when spamed gravs and blew peeps up too fast for they could realize you're shooting them. Being assault you are a kiter now, LOS-man and a corner/wall lover. If you just run with the rest of your team, be sure monkies have already targeted you and ready to leap. Their first target is commando ALL THE TIME. I had to COMPLETELY change my style. Earler i just ran and exploded healers, now i burn monkies jumping on our healers first and catch stealthers staying behind our healers leting our monkies anihillate their healers meanwhile. Usually i stand out of anyones sight and quite often imps don't even know there's a commando in our team. I come out only to stop cap or so. THere was a match on CW when i didn't die a single time participating in crazy mess on mid like 7vs7 (imp premade). We won that match.

Yesterday i met a commando 21k with awesomely tuned gear. No accuracy but power/surge/crit. He's done 680k on void w/o much AOE, i had only 460k and i had the 2nd line. THe 3d was about 380k. So, commandos can burn even maras if lucky with CDs. Even if you die, your foe will also do being DOTed if you do all right. If i see that i'm almost dead, i use Techover and throw all i've got before the killing blow: Plazmanade, Plastique, Sticky, Incendiary and HIB if i manage. It's usually enough to kill mara or juggernaut. Our deadly enemies are ssins hybrids. No chance at any circumstances. Opers are also strong against us.

So, in general if you really love your commando, it's playable more or less. If you doubt, Vang assault is much more solid AC tbh. I really hope for 1.6 - 1.7 changes but judging by the Devs' work, we'll wait really really long. They prefer buffing Marauders/Juggernauts with monkey 5-7k strkes.