Confused about HM flashpoints.

Hi guys I have run several HM flashpoints (BT, foundry, BP etc) and im confused as to whether it is a requirement or not to have completed the normal version first.

For example I have been told that to complete the D7 flashpoint on heroic you need to have completed it on normal. However I have managed to access several other flashpoints on heroic first time without completing on normal (Kaon).

Is there a set rule of which flashpoints can and cant be completed straight away on heroic?

To do Foundry you will need to have done Boarding Party to advance the story quest. For Republic side, you need to have completed Taral V in order to do Maelstrom Prison. These are the only restrictions - you do not need to complete a flashpoint on normal before you can do it on hard - you simply need access to the [GROUP] Flashpoint quest (having done the necessary story dialogues to obtain them). At this stage you can abandon the [GROUP] quest and pick up the [HARD MODE] version from the NPC outside the instance.

For example, on Republic side you get the story quest "Jedi Prisoner". This is the storyline quest for Taral V (level 33) and Maelstrom Prison (level 37) flashpoints (Empire side has a similar quest for BP/Foundry but I can't remember the name). If you have not done Taral V before and are level 50, you need to get this quest and then talk to the NPC inside the group phase. He will give you the quest [GROUP] Flashpoint: Taral V. At this stage, you should abandon this [GROUP] quest and keep Jedi Prisoner. Then talk to the NPC outside the Taral V instance and opt to start the flashpoint in Hard Mode. After completing Taral V on either normal or hard mode you will advance the Jedi Prisoner quest and be able to access Maelstrom Prison.

A similar trick also works for Directive 7. Get the story quest, talk to the NPC inside the group phase. He gives you [GROUP] Flashpoint: Directive 7. Abandon this, take the hard mode version from the NPC outside the instance.

Hope this makes sense!