Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

Kiesu
09.20.2018 , 04:01 AM | #121
I would be supportive of US servers merging now that the server providers aren't separate either anymore.

There is plenty of germans on DM already and I see no reason to keep them out, I got some GTN stalker alts on german server and it's pretty silent there all day. They speak good english in most cases.
No idea what or how French are doing, it's very rare to come across any french players on DM in my experience.
Refer! - Alignment funzies - Arts -
What made Origin stories superior to KotFE/ET? All 8 story characters could co-exist.
Level and world designer, comic artist, general RP nerd and occasional snark novelist.
Legions of Lettow → Tomb of Freedon Nadd → Red Eclipse → Darth Malgus.

Wagerbane
09.20.2018 , 05:10 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Hellhog View Post
Ever since the first server merger occurred and it was discovered that there was only one NA and one EU datacenter the idea behind still segregating parts of the community confused me. I didn't understand why it wasn't just brought down to one server for each region to allow each aspect of game to have as healthy a population as possible regardless the time of day.

It's been 7 months since the server merge. The Operation side of content releases has finished for now. We all await the incoming PvP changes. The servers have had their time to settle since.

Since day one of the merger The Leviathan has been no different than any PvP server prior to merger, maybe a little exaggerated, but it is a dead zone that never left low pop when that information was still available. Tulak Hord seemed healthy along the lines of the west coast RP server. Small, dwindling, some communities exist but hurting in size. All the happenings were on and are on Darth Malgus. I understand the point of the servers is to allow players to better communicate via their preferred language but I'd venture to say that's already happening plenty on DM anyway. Back in the North American side of things, Satele Shan is seemingly smaller now albeit not by much than what Harbinger was pre-merger. Star Forge continues to come out strong and healthy compared to SS thanks to getting the 3 most populated of 5 east coast servers bringing it well above what Harbingers size is.

Thing is, the populations for different aspects of the games are broken among the two, made worse by the fact server transfers continue to be expensive. If someone wants RP and are on SS then they're going to have a more difficult time finding what they want. If someone wants NiM raiding but they're on SF they're going to have a more difficult time finding what they want. I'm not saying neither exist on one of the servers because they absolutely do. But with the population for those aspects being segregated by some wires hurts those communities.

The upcoming planned changes for Warzone, Arena, and GSF matchmaking are exciting and extremely refreshing to see. But there's a problem. Skill based matchmaking can definitely help better balance a team. And limiting roles will help provide better games, but such a system can only go so far if only 20-30 people are in queue. Take GSF for example. When it is popping on SS, I see at best 1 match going on at a given time, in some occasions 2. More so depends on the Conquest week actually. So if 10-20 people are queuing GSF and 1 match is going on at a time, skill based matchmaking can only do so much if anything to help balance a team, especially depending on the premade setup. Same goes for Warzones. It has a much healthier population than GSF by far, but even at times late at night, in the early morning where population is low, skill based can only do so much.

Another place that's hurting, at least on Satele Shan, is pub side. PUGs for Operations, Flashpoints, Uprisings are non-existant at times or slow to form (personally I think a way to cross-faction would help this just like what is coming to PvP) but I think step one is to liven up the population first, via a merger again.

I can understand why some people, just like with the previous merger would be against another one. Player names for one. It's something people hold dear to them, and that's fair, I respect that. But maintaining a name at the cost of population health is not ever worth the damage over time that does. Some people worry about not being able to do their objectives for clicking things, all I can say is when the servers were already larger, the issue was much much worse than it could ever be now. That and try out the PvP instances, that's all I play, half the time people don't attack each other... if you even see anyone as PvP instances are typically dead anyway. The only other big one I can see is Conquest, instead of 6 potential winners a week it'd be down to 3 (9 down to 3 on EU), but I think that would lead to better competition because although Conquest from the leaderboard aspect looks quite healthy, there's already some dominating guilds across both SF and SS that cannot be competed with at the moment. Given the changes not requiring top 10 anymore either, a merger would have no effect on hurting the chances of getting the guild target reward anyway.

I think we need one last server merger, all EU servers in one, all NA servers in one. Allow PvP, GSF, Operations, Flashpoints, Uprisings, etc. to have as much a player pool to draw from, which in turn helps keep player retention.
Nothing and population is still there. Subscribe to the game is what make you counted as part of population and keep the server open. Select your server location for your home street address location. If your address is inside Europe location for your language and you shouldn't see North America servers at the beginning your starting a character. As well those live in North America shouldn't see Europe servers at the beginning your starting your character. Your illegal for not being on correct location. People on wrong servers will be hacking, scam and taunting for server merge for PVP hack advantage against US or Europe. Bio ware game company may need to move people back to IP location.

fatsi
09.20.2018 , 06:06 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Wagerbane View Post
Nothing and population is still there. Subscribe to the game is what make you counted as part of population and keep the server open. Select your server location for your home street address location. If your address is inside Europe location for your language and you shouldn't see North America servers at the beginning your starting a character. As well those live in North America shouldn't see Europe servers at the beginning your starting your character. Your illegal for not being on correct location. People on wrong servers will be hacking, scam and taunting for server merge for PVP hack advantage against US or Europe. Bio ware game company may need to move people back to IP location.
At least they won't SPAM nonsense I guess.

RobertFKennedyUS
09.20.2018 , 09:03 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Well.. you are fully entitled to your opinion.... but that does not make you right, nor that others need to agree with you.
And why would you point that out? Is there any reason to do so other than how your comments are typically rude and disgusting towards anyone who is in favor of server merges at any point in time during this game's history?
Undo the tank nerf. Find a different way to deal with skank tanks in warzones. The tank nerf really sucks.

RobertFKennedyUS
09.20.2018 , 09:06 AM | #125
As I've stated on another thread:

I've got nothing against a server merger, would be for it if certain adjustments can be made to make it technologically feasible, but given BW's track record of making no-brainer decisions only after a years delay, I won't hold my breath.
Undo the tank nerf. Find a different way to deal with skank tanks in warzones. The tank nerf really sucks.

TUXs
09.20.2018 , 09:09 AM | #126
You guys realize this is a pointless debate right? There will never be another server merge. We could easily support our populations (NA servers) on one server, but it's not worth it...it'll never happen. This game will close before another merge happens.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)