Expanded Universe is stupid and im glad it is not canon

Reeny

EU is so dumb... what...unkillable palatine, boba fett, darth maul.

They are all dead and should have stayed dead.

Not some crazy fanboi trying to make them invincible and resurrect them in all sorts of ways.

Glad Disney/Lucas said that the expanded universe is crap and not canon.

Good job!

Admittedly some story lines aren't very good, but that goes for most licensed literature.

Ever tried any Black Library products, depicting Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K universe? They have Space Marines that make Storm Troopers look like, well, elite humans with good equipment. Compared to superhuman bionically and genetically enhanced superwarriors with equipment you just can't buy from Bob's Guns and Body Armor. Some of the books make even your average Space Marine fans retch - being a super fast, durable and strong enhanced human is OK, that's what they are. But when they move faster than sound, break open metal bulkheads with their bare hands and soak hits from anti-tank weapons with armor that (in-game) can't do it, well...

IMO many EU books were very good. Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, for example. And the X-wing series was generally reasonable too. Others were despicable junk, like the few Karen Traviss books I had the misfortune to check out.

• 2 weeks later...

How the heck does Darth Maul get cut in half, thrown down a shaft into space and still live.

Ridiculous.

Same goes for the stupid idea of infinite clones of palpatine and boba fett surviving after being chewed up in the salacc.

People understandably like those characters for some reason.

But Just die already.

How the heck does Darth Maul get cut in half, thrown down a shaft into space and still live.

Ridiculous.

Same goes for the stupid idea of infinite clones of palpatine and boba fett surviving after being chewed up in the salacc.

People understandably like those characters for some reason.

But Just die already.

What happens when you cut a worm in half? Maul isn't human. Just because that would kill you doesn't mean it would kill a Zabrak. Point is, there might not be any vital organs (or any organs at all) in his lower half. Even if there were, if he's strong enough in the dark side he could keep himself alive long enough for those organs to be replaced with mechanical ones - Darth Vader does pretty much the same thing as his wounds would easily have killed anyone else, even other Jedi.

Bobba Fett is more easily explained as you never actually see him die, just get swallowed hole. Considering he's wearing armour smothered in nasty bounty hunterish tech it's a fair assumption that he could either blast, cut, or jetpack his way out.

Despite all that, I do agree that vast swathes of the EU is pretty poor and am not sorry to see much of it go. The entire New Order series is definitely something I am not sad to see the back of.

The Timothy Zahn stories, however, are certainly something that deserves to be kept.

New Order, Yuzhan Vong being gone is good. Callista being gone is good. Sadly, Bria Tharen is still cannon. I hate her. Now Fate of the Jedi/the series before it started good and progressively got worst. However, if you look at my sig, I STILL WANT TO KNOW HOW THAT WOULD HAVE ENDED. If they aren't making books, they should show us the original story boards or something. Last thing we knew was Vestara escaped with a mechanical lower left leg, and Ben & Co is still doing fine.

Really if something was going to get the Non Canon bat I would hit A the Comic Series (which they did) simply because it makes everything futile.

B The Han Solo Trilogy. It was all awesome except Marie Sue Tharen

and C The Clone Wars. Way to much weird stuff in there.

I believe it was said somewhere that Boba Fett is making a reappearance in a game, and hence his survival will become cannon. It makes enough sense to me, I mean he had every advantage to getting swallowed whole. His father, on the other hand, died like an idiot, and that's cannon. :\

Invincible Palpatine was cool when I was like 15 (or whenever the comics came out) but in hindsight, it's meh. I like him much better as a very powerful character who can still be killed, not some kind of dark force god.

One key problem if ever, and that's a big if, Thrawn does become canon is Mara Jade and her relation with Luke: in the books when Luke met Mara it was something like 4 or so years post-ROTJ. With the timeline of the new canon with TFA, you now have an old Luke, so he can't possibly be paired off to Mara in any way. How would she fit in then and what would her role be, if ever?

One key problem if ever, and that's a big if, Thrawn does become canon is Mara Jade

If Thrawn was somehow made canon, it wouldn't have to include either Mara Jade or the events of Zahn's Thrawn series.

As much as fans of those books, and Thrawn fans might not like it, that's the only way he, or any other EU characters can become canon.

The character can be made canon, the original events that character took part in don't have to be. New/different events can easily be made for any and all of the EU characters, if they're ever made canon.

This is coming from someone who has been a long time fan of the original Thrawn series since they released as paperbacks in the UK. They're my most read out of all of my collection of EU novels and graphic novels.

What happens when you cut a worm in half? Maul isn't human. Just because that would kill you doesn't mean it would kill a Zabrak. Point is, there might not be any vital organs (or any organs at all) in his lower half. Even if there were, if he's strong enough in the dark side he could keep himself alive long enough for those organs to be replaced with mechanical ones - Darth Vader does pretty much the same thing as his wounds would easily have killed anyone else, even other Jedi.

Bobba Fett is more easily explained as you never actually see him die, just get swallowed hole. Considering he's wearing armour smothered in nasty bounty hunterish tech it's a fair assumption that he could either blast, cut, or jetpack his way out.

Despite all that, I do agree that vast swathes of the EU is pretty poor and am not sorry to see much of it go. The entire New Order series is definitely something I am not sad to see the back of.

The Timothy Zahn stories, however, are certainly something that deserves to be kept.

Kao Cen Darach was a Zabrak, and he didn't deal with getting cut in half too well...

The best part is all that youzaan vong stuff is gone. And the whole caedus/jacen going bad thing. Thank goodness.

I agree with you on this I'm a huge Jacen Solo/Jaina Solo and Tenel Ka fan they are my favorites out of everyone else and it really pissed me off what they did to Jacen going bad and then have his sister kill him, I especially hated the legacy of the force series I read that and after that I stopped reading star wars novels cause I lost all faith in the authors for star wars

I will miss the Bounty Hunter Wars and the Thrawn Trilogy. While I enjoyed Mandalorians taking a bit of a spotlight later in the books, by the end of Fate of the Jedi Luke was basically Goku and even the no-name Jedi were so strong they were just slaughtering mandos and sith like it was nothing.

So dumb. Literally zero threat to jedi characters in the books, they're all written as absurdly OP

I agree with you on this I'm a huge Jacen Solo/Jaina Solo and Tenel Ka fan they are my favorites out of everyone else and it really pissed me off what they did to Jacen going bad and then have his sister kill him, I especially hated the legacy of the force series I read that and after that I stopped reading star wars novels cause I lost all faith in the authors for star wars

Sadly I believe Jacen going dark was NECESSARY. Many hated Legacy of the Force/ Fate of the Jedi. I viewed them as necessary, and long term they would have been good. Look at my sig :D. A new "generation" needed to come. Ben- the next Luke but somewhat more naive/darker. Vestara- The Joker to Ben's Batman... and also a love interest. Jaina was going off with Jagged Fel so the Comic's Fel Empire might have been upcoming... and she would be out of the picture.

So many more and new characters were coming, I feel like the author's were going for a new slate. And because of the sell, we will never know where it would have gone:mad:.

I will miss the Bounty Hunter Wars and the Thrawn Trilogy. While I enjoyed Mandalorians taking a bit of a spotlight later in the books, by the end of Fate of the Jedi Luke was basically Goku and even the no-name Jedi were so strong they were just slaughtering mandos and sith like it was nothing.

So dumb. Literally zero threat to jedi characters in the books, they're all written as absurdly OP

the Jedi wheren't being written as OP but you're right along the lines of zero threat. look gonna be blunt here, but despite the slop Traviss tries to Push Jedi are gonna in a "all equal" situation, gonna take down a Mandalorian. (and before you point out Jango fett, Jango was an exceptional Mandalorian. and when he went up against an exceptional Jedi he got his *** kicked) this isn;'t that Mandalorians suck but Jedi have some pretty huge advantages in the force. Remember they know what you're doing before you even start doing it. without some sort of edge or the element of suprise the Jedi have the advantage.

and the Sith in that book series where well... earlier Sith we'd seen woulda found em an amusing joke. this was the descendants of the crew of an old starship. all of whom where lower in the ranks of the old sith empire and thus their training likely has suffered in comparison to others. Meanwhile the Jedi of that time period are pretty well trained militarly, having had plenty of reasons in the last 10-20 years to learn their martial skills

Sadly I believe Jacen going dark was NECESSARY. Many hated Legacy of the Force/ Fate of the Jedi. I viewed them as necessary, and long term they would have been good. Look at my sig :D. A new "generation" needed to come. Ben- the next Luke but somewhat more naive/darker. Vestara- The Joker to Ben's Batman... and also a love interest. Jaina was going off with Jagged Fel so the Comic's Fel Empire might have been upcoming... and she would be out of the picture.

So many more and new characters were coming, I feel like the author's were going for a new slate. And because of the sell, we will never know where it would have gone:mad:.

The problem with LotF and FotJ was that we already HAD a new generation waiting for the torch to be passed to them. They had spent several years and books growing their characters naturally and grooming them into being the heroes of the saga. Then they killed Anakin, killed Jacen, and relegated Jaina to a supporting character. Then they speed-grow Ben from a little kid to Jedi Knight in a span of five years.

When you consider that Jacen was only 30-31 when he died, as well as how many years and books the Big Three had managed to stay active, Del Rey could've used Jacen and Jaina--and eventually Ben, after he went through the same natural character development process his cousins went through--as the main heroes for at least the next ten years or so. But instead they threw away all those years of character development and force Ben into the spotlight even though we've only really known his character for about six years and have yet to establish that same kind of connection to him as with his cousins.

Ben Skywalker is basically the Roman Reigns of Star Wars Legends.

The problem with LotF and FotJ was that we already HAD a new generation waiting for the torch to be passed to them. They had spent several years and books growing their characters naturally and grooming them into being the heroes of the saga. Then they killed Anakin, killed Jacen, and relegated Jaina to a supporting character. Then they speed-grow Ben from a little kid to Jedi Knight in a span of five years.

When you consider that Jacen was only 30-31 when he died, as well as how many years and books the Big Three had managed to stay active, Del Rey could've used Jacen and Jaina--and eventually Ben, after he went through the same natural character development process his cousins went through--as the main heroes for at least the next ten years or so. But instead they threw away all those years of character development and force Ben into the spotlight even though we've only really known his character for about six years and have yet to establish that same kind of connection to him as with his cousins.

Ben Skywalker is basically the Roman Reigns of Star Wars Legends.

Thing is, Ben was never really pushed into the spotlight any more than Jacen / Jaina / Anakin and their peers had been, it was always just that the main line of books could never seem to let the 'holy trio' of Luke / Leia / Han actually pass the torch at all. Other characters, including Jaina and Jacen, were frequently about as significant to the stories as the big three, but they never stood on their own in the main line. By Crucible, Jaina was older than any of the trio were at the end of RotJ, but the narrative still had her coming across as a sidekick to the old-timers.

Ben did get his hero's journey in LotF and FotJ, but Jacen and Jaina and to a lesser extent Anakin had all had theirs in NJO as well, the issue is that they were all subplots to the ongoing adventures of Luke Skywalker. When secondary characters have finished their main arc of character development, they usually don't get any more screen time the way the big-ticket main characters do.

It makes some degree of sense, most people buy Star Wars books because they want more stories about the characters they liked in the movies, heck I still enjoyed reading about them, but it did have the effect of the EU falling into the same trap that mainstream comics do - the Status Quo Is God, at least as far as character focus is concerned. Ben never got more focus than Jacen did, it's just that both have always played second fiddle to the movie heroes.

Edited by DarthDymond

One key problem if ever, and that's a big if, Thrawn does become canon is Mara Jade and her relation with Luke: in the books when Luke met Mara it was something like 4 or so years post-ROTJ. With the timeline of the new canon with TFA, you now have an old Luke, so he can't possibly be paired off to Mara in any way. How would she fit in then and what would her role be, if ever?

Disney can use thrawn but not the novels he is in, hell he could be made cannon and be in one of the spin off films as the main villan.

Was it ever cannon? I never wanted to get into it because I never thought it was official. so was kind of pointless to me. Iv just started with the marvel Star Wars comics though. got the first 4 issues today.