Razer Naga - Opinions (vs. Fang)

MichellMich

Looking for some honest opinions on the Razer Naga, and it's functionality in MMOs. I've been using the Zboard (now Steel Series) Fang for years, and don't really have any complaints other than the extra room it takes up on my desk. I've got the Razer DeathAdder and love the form and feel of the mouse. I'm just not sure about having 12 buttons bound to my mouse. I use the Razer Lycosa for my main keyboard, which is great for general use and FPS... but regular keyboard layouts just don't cut it for MMOs in my opinion.

- I assume the Naga takes practice, was it a hard adjustment for you guys?

- Can you accurately and confidently press all 12 buttons quickly without thinking about it now?

- Any issues/concerns to take into account with the Naga?

Thanks for reading,

Mike

Edited by MichellMich

Just ordered one myself so Im interested in what others have to say. Im sure there will be an adjustment period so I expect to be frustrated a bit as I learn it. Even more so for myself as I primarily used a Trackman trackball - the actual mouse itself will be a huge change for me.

Now if Razer would make a trackball with 12 thumb buttons like the Naga I would be all over it.

Hi M8, I used a merc zboard for around 3 years and a logitech game mouse until I upgraded windows to win7 , then my zboard just wouldnt work properly anymore.

I then tried loads of different combos with mice and keyboards, and used a WoW mouse and normal keyboard up until I bought the naga mouse and a g13 gamepad.

At first I found the buttons on the Naga a bit to small and hard to press the correct button , but if you persevere with it it will pay off. I am still not 100% with it but I find the g13 a good replacement for the zboard , which I loved using.

There are so many different ways to use your hotkeys etc, I have now found the best way for me I reckon and that is with a g13 gamepad and a Razer Naga.

There are some great gamers like Taugrim who ( dont quote me ) just use a normal keyboard and mouse . I have tried to copy his set up for keybindings but found it not to my liking .

So each to his own. Hope this helps. Good luck and may the force be with you !

Thanks for the reply

The Naga + G13 seems to be a popular combo with MMO people. That's a ton of keybindings you probably never run out of available hotkeys.

My Naga should arrive from Amazon tomorrow, and if I don't like it I can always return it. Still I'd like to hear from other people if they'd like to weigh in.

Thanks!

Edited by MichellMich

I have been using it for awhile now in Aion and Rift now this game and i love it.

It definitely takes getting used to but once u get it down you can pop off stuff without even thinking about it.

Response time is lightning fast when attacking and such.

It comes with some tactile sticker things to help train your fingers at first then you pull off.

Been using the Naga since my days in lotro, then wow, rift, and now here. It's been working quite well for me throughout. Keys 10, 11, and 12 are a bit of a stretch to reach, but not bad at all. LOVE having access to so many buttons on hotkey, VERY efficient, and no reliability problems whatsoever. Soon after you start using it, you won't even notice your mouse has 17 different buttons, plus the mouse wheel; should feel second nature rather quickly. I have averaged sized hands for a guy, I'd reckon, so I don't know how the device would pan out for someone with larger hands.

Also, I agree with the above poster who recommended pairing with a G13 if you can afford both. Provides a metric TON of buttons so you can have virtually *everything* hotkeyed. Awesome, esp for fast-paced pvp.

How is it ergonomically? I use a mouse for a living then come home and play games on a mouse. I'm a bit concerned about the thumb movement killing my hand/wrist muscles.

Ergonomically its the best mouse I've ever used. It fits my hand perfectly, though the end of my palm and pinky have to rest on my desk. A small price to pay for overall comfort and exceptional function.

How is it ergonomically? I use a mouse for a living then come home and play games on a mouse. I'm a bit concerned about the thumb movement killing my hand/wrist muscles.

The mouse is very comfortable to hold. Feels very natural in your hand. As stated above, the only issue is the bottom row of buttons (10-12), they're a bit of a stretch (literally), but not too bad.

I have been a MMO gamer for like 7 years now, just recently did i get the urge to try out the naga. I havent bought it yet, but i really think its necessary for me now that swtor does not have any mouseover macros or healing addons.

I got some money coming to me from a fantasy football league i won, im gonna buy it then. Ill post back here after i get used to it and post my thoughts :p

Also, is there an in game interface for setting up the mouse in SWTOR? Or will all the buttons show up in the keybindings interface?

I had a Naga and I was dreadful at it. Could never get the hang of the button locations. I bought a Logitech G700 last year and haven't looked back since. The thing is pretty much immaculate. Side-buttons that you can press UP as well as IN (making using side-buttons an incredibly comfortable experience - VERY impressed by this part of the design), totally customizable and saves settings on itself so you don't have to customize it on each machine you move it to, able to work wired and wireless, good weight and comfortable grip. Love it. Edited by Bibdy

Should be arriving UPS today, I'll post my initial thoughts on it and then come back and post a more thorough analysis for anyone who's interested. Thanks for everyone's comments, and please keep contributing. It's nice to hear people's thoughts on it for would be buyers.

• 2 weeks later...

just got one myself. So far im still adjusting to it, the only issues i have with the buttons are number 10-12. Its a pain to reach them. My solution is to sit my hand further back on the mouse.

However this makes hittine mouse button 4 & 5 (not on the number pad) kind of annoying.

Im sure after a long time ill be using the number pad on this mouse over the one on my actual keyboard.

For practice use it for typing in your authenticator key. keep trying to do it faster and faster using only the mouse number pad. It gets your thumb used to jumping around the buttons fast.

For practice use it for typing in your authenticator key. keep trying to do it faster and faster using only the mouse number pad. It gets your thumb used to jumping around the buttons fast.

That is a Grade A good idea. I've used a naga for about a year now, and never though to use this "exercise" to help boost muscle memory

Love my Nage + old school G15, the ultimate MMO combo. For those that dont have one, the Naga comes with stick on tactile dots for the side keys to 'train' with, they really help. The ergonomics are great for my hands (large) though I found that my thumb natually rests on the '1' side key so I've learnt to map that to non critical functions, usually an auto-run toggle as in the excitment of combat I sometimes press it!

Since I got my G15 I've never even considered another keyboard and similiar can be said for my Razer Naga.

I bought a Naga for Christmas since I've been wanting a gaming mouse for some time and I was also curious if it would improve my gameplay experience in SWToR. So I paired it up with the Razer Scarab and even though it felt literally ALIEN to have buttons under your thumb and it was definitely not as easy to get used to them as I had initially thought, after a week or so of using the mouse for a few hours every day it totally blew me away.

On the Scarab the glide is silky smooth and precise and the ergonomics of the mouse make every gaming session a dream. I would recommend it to anyone wholeheartedly, but with the added word of caution that the first few days might be potentially frustrating!

Looking for some honest opinions on the Razer Naga, and it's functionality in MMOs. I've been using the Zboard (now Steel Series) Fang for years, and don't really have any complaints other than the extra room it takes up on my desk. I've got the Razer DeathAdder and love the form and feel of the mouse. I'm just not sure about having 12 buttons bound to my mouse. I use the Razer Lycosa for my main keyboard, which is great for general use and FPS... but regular keyboard layouts just don't cut it for MMOs in my opinion.

- Can you accurately and confidently press all 12 buttons quickly without thinking about it now?

Thanks for reading,

Mike

I was "Frustrated" as hell with my naga when first got it. The overwhelming amount of buttons took me by surprise. And the learning curve on it varies. It took me a week to get it down, and after playing with my naga for the past 2 years. I wouldn't give it up for anything Ever. (my naga is actually out for RMA because i broke it.. I'm useing a standard 5 button mouse right now and its making me sad and frustrated as a player I'm spoiled at this point)

The Naga has 17 buttons, not 12. I can use 14 of them, as the last 3 I have to reposition my hand to get to. However I use them for things like meditate, summoning my ride ect..

For me it took a week. It comes with trainer stickies. I used them.

There are 17 buttons. I use them all easily except 10 11 12.

Save your receipt for warranty work. Or buy the "Epic" version. Its weightier, changes colors, you can use it wirelessly or wired. Has 3 adjustable palm rest.