Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

DieGhostDie
12.07.2014 , 10:11 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
I seriously think you've got it wrong about Stroke of Genius. The burst it gives on every second pair of snipes is great. It does take practice to use and I use it before my second snipe rather then my first as it's easier on the muscle memory.

You gave it a 1/10 PvE but it deserves much higher.

A player should be changing utilities to best match their fight but those 1.5 seconds you shave off every rotation using Stroke of Genius do add up.
That's wrong. Instant GCD Snipes don't really make a difference since Snipe is on 1.5 second cast anyway. As I said, it is not a DPS increase. It's an APM gain. I understand that you think I am undervaluing the utility Stroke of Genius, but realistically, I'm really not. Stroke of Genius serves to add ability clutter by being reliant on Cover Pulse. I will absolutely never use this ability nor will I complicate my flow of rotations. Snap Shot is honestly a better alternative here, and I rather use Cover Pulse for something else. Having both would be an instant death sentence.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Regarding stats, I'll note that in theory it could make sense for marksmanship to take some Aim instead of Cunning. The only ability Aim doesn't benefit is Corrosive Dart, and it will provide more ranged crit chance per point than Cunning because of the rapidly diminishing returns to crit chance from mainstat.
I don't think stacking Aim would be ideal here. I did see this discussion before that Aim could be a potential stat to go to, but to be honest, I rather put the stats in Surge, Critical, Alacrity, etc.

Feel free to theorycraft your own thoughts. I'm skeptical that Aim would benefit Marksmanship though.

Quote: Originally Posted by EBataleon View Post
Whats with the a,b,c,d with alacrity? Is that gear tier based?
Those are alternatives in terms of how much alacrity you should take. In this case, I offer four ways for you to take how much alacrity you can have for a Marksmanship sniper.

When I get a chance to gear my Sniper, I will trim down to which way is the best for a Sniper to take.
WrldFrst Forum T-r0l powered by FrankerZ

Kuciwalker
12.07.2014 , 11:29 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DieGhostDie View Post
Feel free to theorycraft your own thoughts. I'm skeptical that Aim would benefit Marksmanship though.
I mean Aim where you would normally have Cunning. Like, grab Aim implants or barrels or whatnot, with otherwise identical stats to what you would normally get.

LtBombshell
12.08.2014 , 12:45 AM | #13
Why do:

Snipe x2 > FT > Snipe x2 > Ambush > FT?

I always have done:

Snipe x2 > FT > Ambush > FT

Considering Ambush is already a 1.5 sec cast off the 2 previous snipes, I see no need to use Snipe 4 times before using one Ambush.
Andredd Gunnery Commando Andredi Marksmanship Sniper
Andreda Lightning Sorcerer Andredo Vigilance Guardian
Andredh Pyrotech Powertech Andredl Infiltration Shadow
Andredx Carnage Marauder Andrede Ruffian Scoundrel

Gyronamics
12.08.2014 , 01:38 AM | #14
Sooo...

~10,000 damage per target before crits, 8 targets, no cooldown.

That's uhh... an AOE Speed Shot.

Flyby gets nerfed into oblivion, Sweeping Blasters gets buffed into the sky?
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners

mastervalkar
12.08.2014 , 02:14 AM | #15
Please tell me you submitted this guide to Dulfy of Dulfy.net. This guide needs to be there allow with a Sharpshooter mirror.

This is one of the most thought out guides I've ever read. Well Done sir
Arkaine (Jedi & Sith) - Rendarr (Troopers/BHs) - Prowler (Agents & Smugglers)

midianlord
12.08.2014 , 02:16 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
Sooo...

~10,000 damage per target before crits, 8 targets, no cooldown.

That's uhh... an AOE Speed Shot.

Flyby gets nerfed into oblivion, Sweeping Blasters gets buffed into the sky?
I know, right?

[cyncism]

Just keep an eye on the PvP toilet --pardon: Sub-forum. By now, we should be able to predict quite closely our regularly scheduled nerfs.

[/cynicism]

Sharpshooter/Marksmanship (and Arsenal Merc, too!) forever though, no matter what.
Merc and 'Slinger since launch, Merc and 'Slinger for life
(Feels good, doesn't it? Well it certainly does for me!)

Ryuku-sama
12.08.2014 , 07:32 AM | #17
A few points..
For Takedown... Replacing Snipe > Snipe > FT by Snipe > TD > FT Is a DPS increase. You lose a single Snipe in a full SV rotation and replace three with TD... Three TD do more damage than four Snipe.
Doing an extra Snipe every Ambush CD is a waste of GCD.... Every SV window you have 5 fillers avaible. Two are for Corrosive Darts. One is for Snipe (or Trauma debuff if needed for the raid). The last ones are for energy regen....
Every three SV window, Adre Probe will be back up. For this one ignore all your energy management and use Snipe instead of managing your energy.
Target Acquired.. Use it ONLY inside SV Volley... The extra alacrity will make it comes back up faster (well.. If my assumption about alacrity is true.. If CD aren't constantly adjusted as alacrity changes.. my Slinger isn't lvl 57 )... When you use it, you can replace an auto attack with Snipe.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Marvict
12.08.2014 , 07:56 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DieGhostDie;7856232[SIZE="3"
The Rotation:
Spoiler
What an excellent post, Shulk, I sincerely hope that it gets published on Dulfy sometime soon.
The rotation you mentioned (above) I happened upon as it is similar to 2.10. My question is where do you fit in Series of Shots, considering it shares a CD with Penetrating Shots, does it have a greater dmg output?
The Abyssinian Legacy The Red Eclipse
Imps: Fierstalker, Dengral, Calimbria, Dre'zilo, Devistalker

Pubs: Marvict, Marisiah, Marishah, Artriss, Ral'shavi, Caessoral, Dre'Ziin

mr_twopercent
12.08.2014 , 10:27 AM | #19
You don't use SoS after you get Penetrating Blast. Remove it from your taskbar.

Also Gz on the guide guys. Nice work!
Dread Slayer Eviscerus The Eternal Warrior
Disciples of Babylon
The Red Eclipse

DieGhostDie
12.08.2014 , 12:23 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by LtBombshell View Post
Why do:

Snipe x2 > FT > Snipe x2 > Ambush > FT?

I always have done:

Snipe x2 > FT > Ambush > FT

Considering Ambush is already a 1.5 sec cast off the 2 previous snipes, I see no need to use Snipe 4 times before using one Ambush.
There is. Considering that Sniper Volley is a base 45 second CD, you need to get off your Snipes as quickly as possible. The extra 2 snipes ensures that you will have Sniper Volley off CD on your 3rd sequence (as stated previously, EP and OS were ideal to maintain this sort of fluidity pre 3.0). The added bonus from Honed Shots makes it all the more reason to spam more Snipes early.

I have plenty of ways to approach the sequence though, so sorry if I only listed 2. I'll add more ways to place those extra 2 snipes somewhere.

EDIT: I'm currently suffering through my last two weeks of finals, so I won't be able to answer all of the questions until then. I'll still be lurking around in the forums though!
WrldFrst Forum T-r0l powered by FrankerZ