Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Standard" Hybrid PVE Tanking build?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
"Standard" Hybrid PVE Tanking build?

Kurugi
12.02.2012 , 04:11 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Provide Unremitting to all Guardians as a default benefit
Oh I'm sure the PvP community would love that. Focus would become even stronger, since one of the main weaknesses of the spec is not being able to spec Unremitting without dropping Force Exhaustion, which would severely hinder your ability to build singularity, not to mention it would also make it harder to counter a Focus guardian since the CC immunity would prevent him from being KBd or stunned after he leaps to, quite literally, drop the bomb.

Darcmatter
12.02.2012 , 07:29 PM | #72
Hello all.
New to the boards and I've just started at guardian tank. Simple to say, I'm also new to tanking. So, taking this into account, I've decided to build the pure Defense tank instead of the hybrid... purely for (from what I've read) it's ease of use. I just find the hybrid a bit intimidating at this point.

I'm researching some openers and priority tactics but having difficulty in locating some more up-to-date rotations.

I'm VERY open to suggestions. I've been in one FP so far and it was horrible. I couldn't hold aggro, and simply couldn't recover quick enough to keep mobs off the dps. Keep in mind, I'm only lvl 11, so I really don't have much to work with... but damn, I should be able to hold better than I was. So I'm clearly doing it wrong.

grallmate
12.02.2012 , 08:05 PM | #73
At level 11 you aren't a tank. You can start being a tank at level 14 when you get Soresu form, until then everyone is really just a DPS and some of them can heal a little bit too.

To start with, grab Victory Rush and try get Lunge ASAP. While leveling you may find Momentum useful but at endgame get rid of it. Basically, your goal is to round out Focus generation, which you're really going to notice when you do get Soresu and everything generates 1 less focus...
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Darcmatter
12.04.2012 , 11:24 AM | #74
Well that makes sense. I'll be 14 by tonight and start working on it. Thanks.

GarfieldJL
12.06.2012 , 10:20 PM | #75
In my experience the skill tree actually has very little to do with tanking. While I haven't tried tanking a HM Op, I can say that I have been able to tank HM flashpoints AND storymode ops as a vigilence guardian and with a dps/tank hybrid gear setup.

I also normally generate more threat than any guardian tank that I have ever ran with (while I am in shien form and they are in sorseu).

Do I think I could tank EC storymode or HM ops? Probably not, but then I'm primarily a dps my gear emphasizes DPS over tanking.

Do I think I could tank a HM ops if I was in full tank gear without switching to the tank skill tree? Actually I think I might be able to pull that off, the Tank tree in all honesty is a disaster area, it doesn't generate enough threat to keep critters focused on you, and it's damage mitigation is minor when you compare it to being geared up as a pure tank.

The reason isn't because vigilence is OPed, the reason is the tank tree is a joke, it provides some better damage mitigation, but it's nothing you can't get the same effect with quality gear.