Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

(Guardian PvP) Vigilance spec needs help

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
(Guardian PvP) Vigilance spec needs help

ffuller
01.22.2012 , 10:30 PM | #11
vigilance is awesome for pvp once you are 50 and geared. the attacks costing 5 focus isnt an issue at all while using shien form, i never find myself starving for focus. people that complain about this spec are not geared, bad, or haven't even tried it.

this is the spec i use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500frZIMrRruddMo.1
i have full champ besides chest and weapon, but i use the tier 2 pve weapon and rakata chest piece
jdz - 50 guardian
fuller - 50 sage

Ethias
01.22.2012 , 10:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ffuller View Post
vigilance is awesome for pvp once you are 50 and geared. the attacks costing 5 focus isnt an issue at all while using shien form, i never find myself starving for focus. people that complain about this spec are not geared, bad, or haven't even tried it.
couple questions if you don't mind...
1) how hard are you hitting with plasma brand and overhead on 50s with some gear?
2) do you ever feel like you should be guarding with soresu? I end up feeling kinda guilty when I don't run it, lol
3) what kind of gear are you talking about exactly? full bm?

ffuller
01.22.2012 , 10:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ethias View Post
couple questions if you don't mind...
1) how hard are you hitting with plasma brand and overhead on 50s with some gear?
2) do you ever feel like you should be guarding with soresu? I end up feeling kinda guilty when I don't run it, lol
3) what kind of gear are you talking about exactly? full bm?
i edited my post at the same time you posted and answered some of ur questions :P

1) plasma brand hits for about 2.2k crit and ticks for 300 a tick. overhead hits for 3.5-4k depending what kind of armor whoever i hit is wearing and how many stacks of sunder armor they have. overall when i have all 3 dots ticking i feel like the dots do really help. the dots also help to keep bad shadows/other classes with in-combat stealth from stealthing.
2) no, i use my aoe taunt/single target taunt/guardian leap when i see someone taking pressure or im in a big team fight not being targeted. im playing a dps spec, so i leave bodyguarding to tank specd players.
3) i use full champ with tier 2 pve weapon and rakata chest peice. i also have biochem at 400 and use the might stim.
jdz - 50 guardian
fuller - 50 sage

Ethias
01.22.2012 , 10:58 PM | #14
I'm in a mix of champ/centuring gear, so I'll wait until I am better geared. Not bad numbers, though I have to wonder how you'd do with focus.

if you enjoy it and feel effective, that's what is important. Glad to finally hear how a *geared* player hits with it, I know most people who I've seen with it haven't been well geared.

ffuller
01.22.2012 , 11:03 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ethias View Post
I'm in a mix of champ/centuring gear, so I'll wait until I am better geared. Not bad numbers, though I have to wonder how you'd do with focus.

if you enjoy it and feel effective, that's what is important. Glad to finally hear how a *geared* player hits with it, I know most people who I've seen with it haven't been well geared.
focus hits hard everyone 20-30 seconds, but i don't find it very fun to play, especially since force sweep tends to miss a lot due to this games engine being terrible.
jdz - 50 guardian
fuller - 50 sage

Ethias
01.22.2012 , 11:08 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ffuller View Post
focus hits hard everyone 20-30 seconds, but i don't find it very fun to play, especially since force sweep tends to miss a lot due to this games engine being terrible.
yeah sweep does miss on people who are moving, it is... frustrating. that is actually why I have been trying to find Vig info. I may try it once I have better gear, but I also am typically needed for guarding our healer so I don't know.

Taxablemango
01.23.2012 , 12:36 AM | #17
I am not really seeing the issue with Vigilance spec outside of the Zen Strike upgrade. Master strike may be highly damaging but it is far to situational to be effective in PvP, and for that reason it is not in my regular rotation.

I do not notice any problems maintaining Focus while running Shien. It requires proper priming and an efficient rotation. If you open with Saber Throw, Force Leap, and Sundering Strike you'll have a pool of 9 Focus (With the Sundering Strike perk). Follow with Plasma Brand and rotate from there. A rotation that goes SS-PB-FS-SS-OH-BS will still have the free bonus on Blade Storm as well as the crit bonus chance.

Vigilance really requires a Crit/Surge build which isn't really all that hard to do. My Guardian has 25% Crit and 77% Multiplier bonus and I'm 0-15 on my Champ bags

Use the combination of DoTs and decent hitting abilities to bring a target down to 19% Health then you start slinging 3-4k crits on a 6 sec timer.

I tried Focus, didn't like it. Its too slow and doesn't flow nearly as well as Vigilance does. That is my opinion at least.