First time as healer in fp went badly

Jonrobbie

Told the group immediately that it was my first time as healer and to please have patience in case it didnt go smoothly. One player said thats fine. So anyway, im concentrating on healing the tank mostly. Everything goes smoothly until one of the group decides attacking one mob at a time isnt enough and goes off towards another direction attacking another. So next thing you know, the entire group goes down fast.

Tank explains one thing to me i wasnt aware of in regards to healing, which was the combat support cell. So i quickly figured that out and was testing it out before engaging in another mob when as quickly as she had explained it to me, she then voted to have me kicked, her reason? That i had downs

She then goes on to tell me that she had explained the combat support cell to me in her own words "Like 10 times" Unless my counting is fuzzy, she only told me once

Is it too much to ask for consideration and patience in a game?

I know its silly to say this, but it left me a little rattled. Why cant people just be thoughtful? Patient? Co-operative?

Edited by Jonrobbie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Told the group immediately that it was my first time as healer and to please have patience in case it didnt go smoothly. One player said thats fine. So anyway, im concentrating on healing the tank mostly. Everything goes smoothly until one of the group decides attacking one mob at a time isnt enough and goes off towards another direction attacking another. So next thing you know, the entire group goes down fast.

Tank explains one thing to me i wasnt aware of in regards to healing, which was the combat support cell. So i quickly figured that out and was testing it out before engaging in another mob when as quickly as she had explained it to me, she then voted to have me kicked, her reason? That i had downs

She then goes on to tell me that she had explained the combat support cell to me like in her own words "Like 10 times" Unless my counting is fuzzy, she only told me once

I know its silly to say this, but it left me a little rattled. Why cant people just be thoughtful? Patient? Co-operative?

Welcome to the world of MMOs, a wonderful land filled with new adventures and abilities to learn. Wait, ain't nobody got time for dat!

No seriously it really depends on the people in the group. A few people might be kind enough to let you learn and figure things out for yourself. Most however would rather kick you and find someone who already knows what they're doing. I'm certainly not saying I condone such actions but still, I tend to expect the worst from people.

As for the matter of learning how to play your healer or getting a better feel for it. Have you tried looking at websites with detailed information on your abilities, talents, rotations / priorities and (or) just running around with your companion or on fleet doing mock healing sims?

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

Welcome to the world of MMOs, a wonderful land filled with new adventures and abilities to learn. Wait, ain't nobody got time for dat!

No seriously it really depends on the people in the group. A few people might be kind enough to let you learn and figure things out for yourself. Most however would rather kick you and find someone who already knows what they're doing. I'm certainly not saying I condone such actions but still, I tend to expect the worst from people.

As for the matter of learning how to play your healer or getting a better feel for it. Have you tried looking at websites with detailed information on your abilities, talents, rotations / priorities and (or) just running around with your companion or on fleet doing mock healing sims?

Yeah, i read up on this site about which skill tree points to go towards, about rotation, some things about it were fuzzy, one thing i didnt understand was the key element of how combat support cell was attached to Hammer shot. Now i know. Perhaps I need to watch some video tutorials on youtube before engaging in another fp

Yeah, i read up on this site about which skill tree points to go towards, about rotation, some things about it were fuzzy, one thing i didnt understand was the key element of how combat support cell was attached to Hammer shot. Now i know. Perhaps I need to watch some video tutorials on youtube before engaging in another fp

Or just run around with your companion and mess around. It's pretty simply really, you shoot friendly targets heals with hammer shot which add 3 stacks of supercharge, in addition to using medical probe which adds 6 stacks.

It's a good idea to use advanced medical probe before you use medical probe so you get the cell cost discount. Then just weave in some hammer shots between casts to reduce your cell consumption. And don't forget to use kolto bomb when you activate your supercharge cells. The 5% damage reduction from the shield isn't much but it's still nice to have up.

It may take a few hardmodes to get the feel for your healer but if you're reading up on your class and trying your best, you will get there. :D

I'm a healer and the best advice I can offer you is to solo heroic 2+ and heroic 4 content with a tank companion. You will learn the value of good crowd control along with basic healing fundamentals like managing your resources and reacting to spike damage. Just be sure that you and your companion are decently geared for the heroic missions you plan on doing (being a bit over-leveled for the content will help too).

As for dealing with people in groups... welcome to the internetz! No serious, some are better than others and if you pug then you need to be thick skinned and roll with the punches. The best flashpoints are the ones where the tank can't hold the aggro of multiple enemies... or even a single enemy.

Or just run around with your companion and mess around. It's pretty simply really, you shoot friendly targets heals with hammer shot which add 3 stacks of supercharge, in addition to using medical probe which adds 6 stacks.

It's a good idea to use advanced medical probe before you use medical probe so you get the cell cost discount. Then just weave in some hammer shots between casts to reduce your cell consumption. And don't forget to use kolto bomb when you activate your supercharge cells. The 5% damage reduction from the shield isn't much but it's still nice to have up.

It may take a few hardmodes to get the feel for your healer but if you're reading up on your class and trying your best, you will get there. :D

Thanks for the helpful advice. i copied and pasted this to remember

I'm a healer and the best advice I can offer you is to solo heroic 2+ and heroic 4 content with a tank companion. You will learn the value of good crowd control along with basic healing fundamentals like managing your resources and reacting to spike damage. Just be sure that you and your companion are decently geared for the heroic missions you plan on doing (being a bit over-leveled for the content will help too).

As for dealing with people in groups... welcome to the internetz! No serious, some are better than others and if you pug then you need to be thick skinned and roll with the punches. The best flashpoints are the ones where the tank can't hold the aggro of multiple enemies... or even a single enemy.

Im going to do exactly that now :) Did it with a few mobs solo just running normal missions but ill try it with heroics, thanks :)

I would recommend doing heroic 4 with a full group if possible as well. They are easier, dont have to usually worry about any type of boss mechanic and will get you used to healing a full group. You will have to heal dps in flashpoints at some point anyways so it will be good practice. you dont have to be a great healer for that type of activity

I'm sorry to sound like an *** or something but you should have at least read your spells and instance cells before badly influence the game experience of other 3 players. Honestly, you weren't unexperienced, but lazy, and thats a reason to be mad at.

Every time I try a new spec I just visit a website to check rotations/spell priorities, it's not that hard and it's kinda of "ethical" when you are going to group up.

Yeah they shouldnt be rude, but you did very wrong either. IMHO you were more disrespectful than them.

Edited by Capote

OP, just going by your side of the story, you did great. The fact that you told them that you are new and asked for patience tells me that you were also willing to take instruction.

I would take you into a flashpoint anytime. Players that don't know their role are a dime a dozen. Players open to instruction so that they can learn are a bit more rare.

Edited by TheBBP

Looking at the other member's perspective, if you zone in a FP as the healer and you have a DPS stance selected through the first wipe, you probably need to read up a little more on how to play your class. Not trying to be mean but that's a pretty obvious tell.

She then goes on to tell me that she had explained the combat support cell to me in her own words "Like 10 times" Unless my counting is fuzzy, she only told me once

My opinion on that would depend on what content you were doing, for example if you were doing low level flashpoints then I agree they should of given you time to get some experience with your healing role and learn your abilities.

But if you were doing high level content or hard modes and you queued as a healer without knowing your role/abilities then I'd say the kick served you right. You can't expect to jump into harder content and heal without even knowing what cell you're supposed to be using, I'm guessing you probably weren't specced as a healer either.

well they were a lot more rude then needed...but to be honest. you really should have practiced healing solo with your companions before jumping into a flashpoint...esp if it was a heroic (unless I missed it you didn't say)

that said at the very least you should have gone over everything and had some idea on what you were doing.

again..not justifying how rude they were nor the insults...but...the fault isn't entirely off your shoulders either.

My opinion on that would depend on what content you were doing, for example if you were doing low level flashpoints then I agree they should of given you time to get some experience with your healing role and learn your abilities.

But if you were doing high level content or hard modes and you queued as a healer without knowing your role/abilities then I'd say the kick served you right. You can't expect to jump into harder content and heal without even knowing what cell you're supposed to be using, I'm guessing you probably weren't specced as a healer either.

I was just coming off the double weekend xp, creating a healer for my guild as they are low on healers

I just made my first attempt at level 20 in a fp. i did practise solo with my first companion, doing a few normal missions on coruscant, reading up a bit before heading into my first fp

I did read up, but thing is i guess i learn more from doing than from reading, and honestly i did practise

In my view it would have helped if they had not gone after two mobs, everything was going fine until that point

Its not like this was a level 55 hardmode fp

I had an easier time as dps. I can see why its so hard to find a healer in queues now

Eh, I can see why they'd be a bit fussed that you didn't read your skill descriptions. That said, kicking someone who was polite (I assume you were) and up front about being new at a role at level 20 is just nerdragers being nerdragers. The important thing is that you learned something.

Some people take games way too seriously because they don't have a lot going for them offline. Don't let it get to you. You'll be blamed for things that weren't your fault too and ya just gotta shrug it off. Just be sure it really wasn't your fault -- we all have room to improve so it's also important, imo, to examine criticism leveled at you as objectively as possible, even if it wasn't delivered in a very nice way. :)

I'm gonna give the opinion most players will feel, but you're not gonna like it.

Random strangers didn't sit in queue to teach you how to play healer so you could get a faster queue.

When I'm in queue for 3 hours and it finally pops and the tank is undergeared and has no clue how to tank, the DPS is improperly geared to the point of doing no damage, the healer has no clue what they're doing, etc. it's really annoying.

You say you didn't know what support cell is or basic things like that. When you get a new skill, read what it does, don't buy it and forget about it. That's other player's time and repair bills you're messing with. They aren't your guildies, they aren't your friends and they don't owe you anything and it's not fair to expect them to teach you basics of your class after they sit in queue and know how to do their jobs.

Edited by Mindshard

I'm gonna give the opinion most players will feel, but you're not gonna like it.

Random strangers didn't sit in queue to teach you how to play healer so you could get a faster queue.

When I'm in queue for 3 hours and it finally pops and the tank is undergeared and has no clue how to tank, the DPS is improperly geared to the point of doing no damage, the healer has no clue what they're doing, etc. it's really annoying.

You say you didn't know what support cell is or basic things like that. When you get a new skill, read what it does, don't buy it and forget about it. That's other player's time and repair bills you're messing with. They aren't your guildies, they aren't your friends and they don't owe you anything and it's not fair to expect them to teach you basics of your class after they sit in queue and know how to do their jobs.

/thread

It's an MMO... not a day at work where you have to finish x amount.

I'll give you a sample of a bad healer I've ran into doing mandalorian raider.

1. he ran head first into any enemy group he saw

2. he didn't heal a single time, the tank was constantly at 10% after each group

3. when I mentioned that he is the healer... having combat support stance but he continued to start throwing dead from above = pulling aggro.

4. after we failed 2 times on the first boss, he was kicked because he can't heal.

If someone tells me that he is doing the flashpoint for the first time or it's his first time as a healer in a flashpoint you can point out obvious things. Not having healing stance would have been a first before any mob is pulled. Explaining to stack his 30 stacks to increase the healing % is another very easy thing to do. Furthermore explaining that casting the ae heal will increase any further heal is again very easy to explain and to understand.

If this was at lvl 20 it was most likely Hammer Station or Athiss, L2P flashpoints really and with above comments it most likely would have been a breeze to go through the flashpoint. Not everyone understands the class right from the get go and above is explained in a fraction of a full minute.

On the other side for OP, it's important to understand that all the skill trees are built in a similar fashion. You get talents and you improve existing talents but you have to check how they are being improved to understand that casting 1 heal makes another heal for free etc. .

As a fellow healer, you have my sympathies. It's an undervalued skill and people don't realize that considerable consideration and thinking goes into healing (or, at least, healing efficiently).

You should bare in mind that this was double xp weekend. That means that a lot of the lower level toons running around are alts for higher levels and they don't shed their uber-perfect mindset just because they're running with people who may not be at that level of experience.

My advice to you would be to practice healing on your own and don't be discouraged. It's rare, but when you run into a group who appreciates your efforts, it actually makes healing enjoyable.

I would pvp heal first in randoms. That way you get a feel for how to heal and no one will get mad at you for how you heal in pvp randoms. You can then move over to try out pve healing.

My guess is your up in the levels and waited to heal until towards endgame. If you want to heal you really should start off much lower lvls (but sometimes ******es there also). Don't level up to 50-55 then start running fp's hoping to figure out how to tank or heal all of a sudden because its a faster queue. If that's what you do practice solo some first with your companions.

My guess is your up in the levels and waited to heal until towards endgame. If you want to heal you really should start off much lower lvls (but sometimes ******es there also). Don't level up to 50-55 then start running fp's hoping to figure out how to tank or heal all of a sudden because its a faster queue. If that's what you do practice solo some first with your companions.

he already said he was level 20 though

I primarily DPS but I've done my fair share of healing and tanking as offspec on my toons, to get faster queue pops. And it's not exactly rocket science tbh, as self important dedicated tanks/healers may feel.

The thing is, I only do that on characters I'm confortable with my abbility on. I've healed endgame FPs/ops on my sage and my scoundrel but never on my commando. Cos I'm not comfortable enough with my mastery of it to roll the dice and waste other peoples time and credits.

I would never do what you did OP which is basically wen't in completley blind. Yes patience and practice is required, ideally with other people, but that is what guildies and solo play are for. You can't saddle 3 strangers with your birthing pains like that. They've got theirown lives and can't be expected to hold your hand from the very basics. It's not fair to them one bit. They were well in their rights to kick you.

I mean we're not talking about not having the perfect rotation or a bit slower exectution, we're talking the alphabet of the classes mechanics, the flipping cell+hammershot heal. I'm sorry but that's inexcusable. That'd be aking to a dps only using his base attack. I'd be polite to you but I'd vote for the kick and /w you with suggestions no how to practice before ever queueing as a healer in FPs again.

In this thread you'll probably get the healer brigade backign you up cos they have a special snowflake thing going on but the brutal truth is that as any other role in the group you are expected to perform just a tiny bit. It was wrong for them to insult you but just because you queued as a healer does not mean you're a sacred cattle 3 other people have to placate for 3 hours to slug the way through a flashpoint racking up insane repar costs in the process.

Edited by aeterno