Rift

Machshoot

Anyone still playing Rift? I played it at launch for a few weeks and then uninstalled/unsubbed, haven't touched it since. A few of my friends recently started playing it, so I was wondering if it's any better or worse than it was when it first came out? I didn't find it all that fun at the time, however since it went F2P, I'm sure they must have added some perks n such.

Rift is a fantastic game. Though it can get a little bland after a while. The new housing thing was amazing!

Kind of left Rift when they did their first server merger, and I lost my name. Guild broke up ect. Went back, it was meh.

The story is kind of blah. PVP was pretty fun though. Not opposed to going back when I have time. But leveling was a pain in the arse. Something I don't want to do again.

Does not compute.

Simple, it's a great game. Just not for me. But production values are there, and it has everything people would want in an MMO.

Enjoyed the first play through a lot, but it's not something I'm willing to attempt again.

Edited by Alavastre

Simple, it's a great game. Just not for me. But production values are there, and it has everything people would want in an MMO.

If a game is not a good game for me to play, it's not a good game as far as I'm concerned. Which is not to say others are not free to disagree and consider it a good game. Rift, to me, is not a good game, It's just another boring, generic "Elves and Orcs" fantasy MMO.

If a game is not a good game for me to play, it's not a good game as far as I'm concerned. Which is not to say others are not free to disagree and consider it a good game. Rift, to me, is not a good game, It's just another boring, generic "Elves and Orcs" fantasy MMO.

Yeah, the story, graphics and all of that is generic fantasy. They could have done a way better job giving the game more life in that sense. But the gameplay is rather fun. Dungeons are pretty tough. Lots of customization ect. But yeah, if you don't like generic fantasy, you won't like Rift.

Housing system is amazing though. I saw some of the stuff people created, and it just awesome.

In the 3 or so years I played LotRO, I visited another character's house once. No other character ever visited my house. No one plays an MMO for its housing.

Uh, no.

People do play for housing. And Rift is less than housing, than creating your own environment. So yeah, people would play just to do that. Even if it's just the RP crowd.

Uh, yes.

Uh, your turn!

Uh.

Of course after that, I explained the comment. But you're showing your true ignorant self. Congrats! Kind of like making a generic comment about how people will never play an MMO just for housing.

Truth is people play for different reasons. Don't generalize people into one bland statement because you don't like a game. We get it, you don't like Rift. Sweet. You don't like housing, double sweet. Here's a cookie for being one of a billion other non helpful people on the internet. And here is your medal for being completely original. You are the coolest dude in school after all.

In the 3 or so years I played LotRO, I visited another character's house once. No other character ever visited my house. No one plays an MMO for its housing.

Must be no reason to visit. The games that did it right, like SWG and UO; it held your vendors. UO, you couldhave things available for the public like a forge if your house was near a mountain. SWG, the player cities provided an entire other system of play in developing towns. Guilds could put up bases.

I wil say, just plopping housing in for the sake of just having housing is kind of silly to me. There should be reasons other than it being just your personal bank and to decorate for your own pleasure.

Must be no reason to visit. The games that did it right, like SWG and UO; it held your vendors. UO, you couldhave things available for the public like a forge if your house was near a mountain. SWG, the player cities provided an entire other system of play in developing towns. Guilds could put up bases.

I wil say, just plopping housing in for the sake of just having housing is kind of silly to me. There should be reasons other than it being just your personal bank and to decorate for your own pleasure.

There's a reason LotRO decided not to put stuff like that in housing areas: to "force" people to congregate in public hub areas. Given that the SWG way has failed, I doubt we'll see that kind of stuff much any more.

Truth is people play for different reasons. Don't generalize people into one bland statement because you don't like a game. We get it, you don't like Rift. Sweet. You don't like housing, double sweet.

Who said I didn't like housing? You seem to get most of your exercise jumping to conclusions.

No one plays an MMO for the housing. If they want housing, they'll play something like Second Life. Just because someone likes housing and takes advantage of it in the game does not mean they are playing it for the housing.

:rolleyes:

Edited by branmakmuffin

There's a reason LotRO decided not to put stuff like that in housing areas: to "force" people to congregate in public hub areas. Given that the SWG way has failed, I doubt we'll see that kind of stuff much any more.

Who said I didn't like housing? You seem to get most of your exercise jumping to conclusions.

No one plays an MMO for the housing. If they want housing, they'll play something like Second Life. Just because someone likes housing and takes advantage of it in the game does not mean they are playing it for the housing.

:rolleyes:

You conveniently forget Ultima. That game has lasted longer than this game or 95% of the games that come out could even hope to last even so much as half as long. It probably isn't all on player housing for the reason, but neither would the reason SWG failing have anything to do with it.

I do know this. I know people who have kept a UO account active for years even when not playing it, just to not lose all the time they invested in their virtual house. It provides an attachment to the game.

You conveniently forget Ultima. That game has lasted longer than this game or 95% of the games that come out could even hope to last even so much as half as long. It probably isn't all on player housing for the reason, but neither would the reason SWG failing have anything to do with it.

I do know this. I know people who have kept a UO account active for years even when not playing it, just to not lose all the time they invested in their virtual house. It provides an attachment to the game.

An attachment to a game they don't even play, according to you.

So again, no one plays an MMO for its housing.

Oh, absolutely. I compare every new MMO to UO and no game has done housing or pets/hunter/tamer correctly either. I go back once in awhile, log into a couple toons, pull my pets out of the stable and look at them, hunt a little bit. But mostly I go to my house (if ti's still there, sometimes it hasn't been) and go looking for a new plot and spend a month or two building and designing and decorating.

Heck, the last time my roommate played, that's just about all he did was work on his houses (we were on Demise, so had a cluster of homes). Such fun.