Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Force Sensitive: Black Ops / special "forces" class ??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Force Sensitive: Black Ops / special "forces" class ??

xordevoreaux
06.05.2020 , 10:32 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
I've been giving this some more thought:
*** The idea has not failed .. I did (for a moment).
Considering there's a guild dedicated to Harry Potter, anything's possible. You're bound to find a few role players who'll go with the idea of force-sensitive gun toters, and over the years, I'm sure there have already been role playing groups dedicated to such at various points.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

DKEVINZ
06.05.2020 , 01:10 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
How could any shock trooper in the imperial military not be immediately identified as Force Sensitive and subsequently forced to go to Korriban?
I agree, I don't think force abiltiies/powers should be included on classes shock trooper or SIS agent.

"I think these are the only viable classes to add to the current game. Possibly... probably without force powers. to be introduced to SWTOR at this point as it follows lore and isn't a redundancy with other classes on their respective factions."

Monumenta
06.05.2020 , 02:18 PM | #63
I think the Force is ambiguous enough that the force sensitive imp class IS viable and the rest of the Sith and Jedi class stories, years of comics, other games, movies, tv shows, and novels are filled with the same type of exceptions that would allow for it.

As usual the suggestion forum has turned into the limitation creation committee.

'Always with you (people) what can not be done.' - paraphrased Yoda

Qouivandes
06.05.2020 , 02:48 PM | #64
An enterprising Watcher identifying a force sensitive that can be trained and honed to be a part of the Intelligence Division would prove to be a very valuable asset. Steps could be taken to keep the Sith from finding out...they control the information, dont they?

There...your idea is back on the table.

edit: in fact, i had always played my sniper as a Force Sensitive and eventually converted him to a Knight.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

OlBuzzard
06.05.2020 , 07:06 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by DKEVINZ View Post
I agree, I don't think force abiltiies/powers should be included on classes shock trooper or SIS agent.

"I think these are the only viable classes to add to the current game. Possibly... probably without force powers. to be introduced to SWTOR at this point as it follows lore and isn't a redundancy with other classes on their respective factions."
Earlier in one of the posts I did state that NFU (non force user) would eliminate such things as "force leap" and other related capabilities. I did so intentionally to keep this class separate from the other classes such as (Jedi / Sith).

Force sensitive would only act as a "bonus" ( for lack of a better term) .. in the introduction and execution of unique class skills as we mentioned earlier.

Also: this entire idea is simply a suggestion and a guideline. The development team is more than capable of extrapolating the best qualities that we have mentioned ( hopefully especially the weapons and related items such as stealth mode) would be used. Think of both classes (Republic and Empire ) as being a SWTOR version of a super spy with extremely well honed skills and abilities... that are not incorporating the use of the force.
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

DarkTergon
06.05.2020 , 08:59 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
Also: this entire idea is simply a suggestion and a guideline. The development team is more than capable of extrapolating the best qualities that we have mentioned ( hopefully especially the weapons and related items such as stealth mode) would be used. Think of both classes (Republic and Empire ) as being a SWTOR version of a super spy with extremely well honed skills and abilities... that are not incorporating the use of the force.

I definately like the ideas, would be great to get some feedback from the dev/creative team. Although they don't normally post on this, maybe at one of the future events, or podcasts, someone may have a chance to enquire
You know you can't fix an idiot, turns out you can't quarantine them either!!!
Feel free to click the link and get all the usual goodies
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

Townowi
06.06.2020 , 07:17 AM | #67
Maybe a different AC could be more workable, more so than a different class. Yes, you'll run into the same balancing issues as would adding any other new spec, just that you could fit Force-sensitive black ops into the existing class stories without creating unnecessary redundancies.
For those who never used a referral link, here's mine!

OlBuzzard
06.06.2020 , 07:38 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Townowi View Post
Maybe a different AC could be more workable, more so than a different class. Yes, you'll run into the same balancing issues as would adding any other new spec, just that you could fit Force-sensitive black ops into the existing class stories without creating unnecessary redundancies.
A subclass or modification of another class will not work. There really would be too many redundancies

** The lore for this class is well established and is scattered through out SWTOR ( the SIS is mentioned by name )
** The Empire has a similar office .. and from everything I've researched is actually better funded. I also remembered why the force sensitives were being rounded up by Imperial forces (even on Balmorra) Who was the emperor at that time? We see his game starting to unfold later on Ziost. So it's no little wonder he was rounding up as many force sensitives as possible...

** This post provided by Stevethecynic some time back does a nice job of sorting this out

Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Let's review where we are with this, although this will be my take on that review and I might miss a few points or change a few things. The intent here is to push the discussion back toward being on track.

First up, the primary idea is some kind of Force-sensitive non-Force User class that I shall hereafter refer to as an FSNFU. That is, like Raina Temple, the character is capable of wielding things like the Jedi Mind Trick (JMT), but no lightning, no rock-throwing, no balls of Force Energy. If the FSFNU wants to "Open the Blast Doors", he can't do what the Consular does(1), and must revert to slicing the lock, blowing a hole in it, or finding a different route to the other side.

However, faced with a Force User Moment in a conversation, the FSNFU gets options, as Temple did, to JMT people. The initial Pubside archetype of who the FSNFU is would be someone *like* Raina Temple, but recruited covertly by the SIS rather than being, in some way, 'on the run' from the Sith like Raina is.

I think part of the problem in this thread is that people have been getting hung up on the narrative comparisons with the Imperial Agent. The FSNFU is not a mirror of the current Imperial agent, but a completely new class. One suggestion noted early in the thread is whether it should have a new weapon type (citing as examples the FN F2000 among others). I can see how that could be interesting, although I would have cited the similar FN P90 instead, but more generally a submachine gun. (No, not a Sten!)(2) Perhaps a machine pistol instead of a larger submachine gun (the distinction rates a line from DSJ: "it's fuzzy"...).

Anyway... One of the obvious sticking points is how to integrate an Imperial mirror of this class into the existing game lore, especially given the difficulties encountered by Raina Temple because she has some level of Force sensitivity but has deliberately avoided Sith training. I can't emphasise strongly enough that I don't off the top of my head have a good answer for this, except perhaps for appealing to things like the Imperial Science Bureau referenced in Dr Lokin's class-companion story.

In any event, I think it would add something to the lore of the game, offering a way to explore the fuzzy area that's hinted at in more than one way(3) between full Force User people (Jedi and Sith, as well as various others like Voss Mystics and the Order of Shasa) and "ordinary" people like the four existing gun classes. We just need to avoid wandering too close to things like the Sixth Line - they are actual Jedi, so full FU types rather than FSNFUs.

(1) In The Junction on Taris if memory serves, where the Consular goes to rescue workers who are being poisoned by gas released by someone. The Consular uses the Force to open the door in a dramatic and definitively permanent way.

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten The Sten gun (properly just "STEN") was a low-cost and highly unsafe submachine gun chambered initially in 9x19 Parabellum, and used extensively in World War II. Not really a good choice for a "service weapon" for an intelligence agent.

(3) The two most obvious examples are Raina Temple and Guss Tuno, but the conversations with Master Oteg in the missions surrounding the Taral V and Maelstrom Prison flashpoints are also interesting.

xordevoreaux
06.06.2020 , 01:50 PM | #69
BW has had 8 years to add another class. If they were going to do it, they would have done it by now.
How about just have a free combat proficiency, one that doesn't make force-wielding classes feel compelled to use (because by rights they should already have the ability) but doesn't upset the applecart for PVP types, either.

For example, a combat proficiency called "Force Sensitive" might be a broad grab-basket of utilities gleaned from things the existing force wielding classes can already do (and I can already hear players say but wait that just dilutes what it means to be one of the existing force wielding classes).

No one alive would be able to craft such a free combat proficiency that wouldn't make one group or another scream bloody murder that it's horribly unbalancing, but an add-on like a proficiency is far more likely than a completely new write for a new class (and its mirror).
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

OlBuzzard
06.06.2020 , 06:29 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
BW has had 8 years to add another class. If they were going to do it, they would have done it by now.
How about just have a free combat proficiency, one that doesn't make force-wielding classes feel compelled to use (because by rights they should already have the ability) but doesn't upset the applecart for PVP types, either.

For example, a combat proficiency called "Force Sensitive" might be a broad grab-basket of utilities gleaned from things the existing force wielding classes can already do (and I can already hear players say but wait that just dilutes what it means to be one of the existing force wielding classes).

No one alive would be able to craft such a free combat proficiency that wouldn't make one group or another scream bloody murder that it's horribly unbalancing, but an add-on like a proficiency is far more likely than a completely new write for a new class (and its mirror).
Maybe... Maybe not !

I think that would be better determined by the development team.

At least now we're back on track ! (and that's a good thing). So for now .. we'll just keep the dream / idea alive. And if we happen to think about anything else to add

The glass is still half full. So for me : .. Well .. let's just wait and see what happens.