Holocalls - why always standing?

NRieh

A question that bothers me a bit. Why each and every holoconversation happens while standing only? Through all the game I can't recall anyone accepting my holocall, lets say, siting at the table. And even on my ship I used to accept holocalls in a special place and also standing. Are there any known lore-like reasons for such a thing, or is it just a side effect of in-game mechanics? Though, in films I don't remember any "siting" or "lying" holochat either.

I can't imagine how anyone in the galaxy (even FFA) would invent and implement communication system that is so inconvenient to use.:p

i don't know about the game but in Ep. V, in the holo-call between Vader and Sidious,

Vader kneels, that's not exactly sitting but i think it serves the point.

although you make an interesting point, until now, every holo-call i had in the game was

a standing one and it made sense.

possibly, its a matter of respect, for example when you vid-call to someone (in real life)

you will make sure you look decent out of respect, same here, possibly standing conversation

is just the norm.

in Ep. V, in the holo-call between Vader and Sidious,

Vader kneels

I think remember this scene you're talking about, but not clear. He kneels before the STANDING holo, right? It's just I can't remember who was accepting a call in that case. :D And if I remember it right...do you really think Sid (Emperor!) would stand up and still just to accept\make call and hear what his subordinate has to tell him?

And also - being polite is ok. But when my smugllady reports her job's done - they always stand, and those are busy people. So either they really had to stand up, or...idn what to think.

some members are on holocall but sitting in their council seats.

So, jedis have enough Force not to stand up still while talking? :rolleyes: Or are they not polite? C'mon, even Satele and Orteg appear standing while holocalling....oh, well...Orteg is not a good example, may be...:D And all of "bad guys"...

Let's take Malgus. In FP he appers standing (talking to his subordinate Kilran). In all of his Ilum chain his holo is standing(afair). Why would such a person bother even to lift a finger while "helping" to the "republic ****"?

Social convention makes the most sense to me. Basically you're in whatever position you would be in if you were physically present with the person you're talking to. Reporting in/getting a briefing? Standing. In a long meeting, like the jedi council? Sitting.

Social convention makes the most sense to me. Basically you're in whatever position you would be in if you were physically present with the person you're talking to.

Somehow evil guys break this idea, imo. Mentioned above Sidious, Malgus, smuggler's class vilians. I can't imagine those lifting their rear parts just to say "hello, my servants, kill them all" or "hello, I hate you, you will die".

Risha (smug companion) appears standing when in "lightspring" (smug class mission). And there's also an interesting moment, by the way, where she tries to avoid old man touching her holoimage, as if he realy could touch her hair.

Another class-related bad guy (name in spoiler) was also always standing, though it's very unlikely in few situations that he had no other things to do (in context of the story), and it's the last person in the galaxy who could show any politenes to anyone, and my char was out of his "be polite to those ladies" list anyway, due to many circumstances.

it's about Skavak, yes, in case someone considers naming him directly a spoiler

Because seeing them sitting in the holograms would look stupid.

And why, actually one may need to see something but the face for a talk? When you skype with your friend using a webcam - do you usually stand up and make sure he sees all of you?

Because even the NPC's are allowed to sit in only three chairs in the whole galaxy

And all those were already taken by holo-siting jedis, I suppose..:D Well, that explains much.

I've always wondered what the holocall looks like at the remote end. At my end I usually see a smaller than life-size hologram of the person I'm talking with, especially with the hand-held holocommunicators. However, in a few scenes the hologram turns around to look at someone else at my end. How does that work exactly? What does the person at the other end see for that sort of gesture to make sense?

Some times. What of it?

Sometimes is sometimes, usually MOBILE (and holocom is a mobile device, which is used widely, though there are also some stationary holocoms seen) ways of communications do not require any extra actions. And also routine communications hardly involve seeing all of the person you talk to from top to feet.

However, in a few scenes the hologram turns around to look at someone else at my end. How does that work exactly? What does the person at the other end see for that sort of gesture to make sense?

Yes, as I mentioned there was a scene where holoimage of Risha was trying to avade man's hand. It also a part of question, actually. But I'm afraid this part is more of a movie-type effect.

I belive that several people may use same holocom, but "on the other side" they will appear either something like "splitscreen" or one per time (like, the one who's talking is visible). When we see several persons on our side - we usually also see several projectors (like scenes on Voss) And images appear only where they appear - not around speaker, especially if speaker uses portable small holocom.