Cast for Star Wars VII Released

StarSquirrel

IMDb

Star Wars' Facebook announcement

NPR article

Edit:

Star Wars.com Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie casted for Episode VII

IMDb article on the new additions

So, the cast has been revealed. Obviously Fisher, Ford, Hamil etc... are returning as was rumored (and expected) but now we know the newbies. It'll be interesting as they haven't stated their roles yet, but from looking around they all seem to be relatively unknown at least to an American audience. Do our British users recognize them at all?

So, anyone have an opinion on how this cast is shaping up? Who do you think is the most interesting casting choice?

Edit: So, two new ladies join the cast. What is everyone's thoughts on the newest casting development?

Edited by StarSquirrel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere a few months ago that Ian McDiarmid was going to play a Sidious Force Ghost. It seemed like one of the more concrete rumors but still a rumor. It appears either his role will be extremely small or (more likely IMO) he won't be in the movie at all :(

Having said that I am still very excited and looking forward to Eps VII!!

Edit: Andy Serkis has been in roles that Americans know (Gollum, Caesar) but I do agree that it seems British audiences will know much more

Edited by sell-dog

To be honest most of these British actors (not sure if everyone would agree) are fairly obscure, aside from Domhnall Gleeson - who played a minor role in the last Harry Potter film - I haven't see any of these actors on screen and I only recognize one or two. As far as I'm aware Daisy Ridley is pretty much a complete unknown and only ever been on TV.

So I really don't have much to say, I'm definitely happy that they are bringing in less Hollywood "faces" (you know the kind) but I would like to see a some classic British actors thrown in there like in previous films.

EDIT: There is something about that photo that exudes the classic OT cool though. Loving it. :D

EDIT: I tell I lie, I have actually seen Max von Syndow in a film called Incredibly Loud or something, he didn't actually speak throughout the whole thing so I'm not sure I can judge, but the role he played was very well done.

Edited by Beniboybling

Oscar Isaac! *swoon*

I've seen him in the movie Sucker Punch, and he did a great job in my opinion. However, his role was a sinister, creepy type of character in that movie. Maybe he'll be a villain here too?

I seriously hope so, because Adam Driver does NOT strike me as a very imposing villain. Maybe it'd be interesting if he's more of a cunning, sly villain like Loki, but he's definitely not Sith-like in appearance. Maybe he's a non-Force user, but would it really be Star Wars without a Sith villain?

Anyways, Oscar Isaac is my new Star Wars hottie! Let's just hope they don't cover his face up with an alien mask.

That being said, I really hope that one of the main characters in this movie is an alien. Even better if they're a race we haven't seen before.

I seriously hope so, because Adam Driver does NOT strike me as a very imposing villain. Maybe it'd be interesting if he's more of a cunning, sly villain like Loki, but he's definitely not Sith-like in appearance. Maybe he's a non-Force user, but would it really be Star Wars without a Sith villain?.
Yeah... my thoughts exactly.

Honestly I can't see any of these guys as Sith, but hey a little makeup can work wonders these days.

Edited by Beniboybling

Max von Sydow, and of course Andy Serkis, are the only names I recognize - which honestly seems like such a close parallel to the casting of the original film (where they brought in one or two "known" names with Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing among a cast of unknowns) that it's got to be deliberate.

As long as they can act, that's all I care about, now that hopefully they'll be given competent lines and direction. Heck with Serkis on-board even the CG characters might have some real life in them.

Casting Serkis is awesome, he is an uniqe talented actor, i'm really thrilled about that. But the female lead cast is just awful. I don't want to jump to early conclusions, but she has like no experience and looks like a 13 years old brat. The fact that she is the only announced female character so far (apart from Fisher ofc) just makes it even worse.

Casting Serkis is awesome, he is an uniqe talented actor, i'm really thrilled about that. But the female lead cast is just awful. I don't want to jump to early conclusions, but she has like no experience and looks like a 13 years old brat. The fact that she is the only announced female character so far (apart from Fisher ofc) just makes it even worse.
Wow, you can tell she's a 13 year old brat just by looking at her?

Hamill, Fisher and Ford had 'no experience' either. You are jumping to early conclusions.

Edited by Beniboybling

Wow, you can tell she's a 13 year old brat just by looking at her?

Hamill, Fisher and Ford had 'no experience' either. You are jumping to early conclusions.

I said she looks like it, how else can I tell but looking at her? Her look is obviously a personal opinion, has nothing to with how she will do in the movie, but her experience does.

Harrison Ford had 11 years acting before New Hope, Mark Hamill had 14 years and Fisher had 8 years. You are the man of facts here, what happened now?

My biggest concern though is the 1/7 female/male ratio.

Edited by cs_zoltan

Max Von Sydow has been around. not quite obscure. A quick check of IMDB shows a few roles I know he has been in.

Shutter Island - Dr. Naehring

Dune - Doctor Kynes

Never Say Never Again - Ernst Stavro Blofeld

Conan the Barbarian - King Osric

Flash Gordon - The Emperor Ming "The Merciless"

The Exorcist and Exorcist II: The Heretic - Father Merrin

he's even played Jesus

The Greatest Story Ever Told - Jesus

I said she looks like it, how else can I tell but looking at her? Her look is obviously a personal opinion, has nothing to with how she will do in the movie, but her experience does.

Harrison Ford had 11 years acting before New Hope, Mark Hamill had 14 years and Fisher had 8 years. You are the man of facts here, what happened now?

You can't! You can't possible draw the conclusion that someone is "bratty" simply by looking at them!

Pay attention to the use of speech marks, I'm using your own hyperbole here. Just like the Big Three this person's acting experience is limited, but that doesn't mean she can't act. Clearly J.J sees great potential in her.

And lets not even get into the "facts" when you are in possession of none.

Edited by Beniboybling

Max Von Sydow has been around. not quite obscure. A quick check of IMDB shows a few roles I know he has been in.

Shutter Island - Dr. Naehring

Dune - Doctor Kynes

Never Say Never Again - Ernst Stavro Blofeld

Conan the Barbarian - King Osric

Flash Gordon - The Emperor Ming "The Merciless"

The Exorcist and Exorcist II: The Heretic - Father Merrin

he's even played Jesus

The Greatest Story Ever Told - Jesus

*shrug* I wouldn't call those "big" movies. At least for the past decade.

Not to say he lacks experience.

Edited by Beniboybling

You can't! You can't possible draw the conclusion that someone is "bratty" simply by looking at them!

Of course you can! Prime example

Pay attention to the use of speech marks, I'm using your own hyperbole here. Just like the Big Three this person's acting experience is limited, but that doesn't mean she can't act. Clearly J.J sees great potential in her.

Maybe, we'll see.

And lets not even get into the "facts" when you are in possession of none.

Why are you taking this so personally? You want facts? Here they are:

New hope came out in 1977

Ford's first appearence: 1966

Hamill's: 1963

Fisher's: 1969

They certainly beat your "no experience" claim.

Why are you taking this so personally? You want facts? Here they are:

New hope came out in 1977

Ford's first appearence: 1966

Hamill's: 1963

Fisher's: 1969

They certainly beat your "no experience" claim.

/facepalm I said there acting experience is limited, you were the one who claimed Daisy Ridley had no experience when this is clearly not true, and that she is a bratty 13 year old when that is pure assumption on both accounts.

EDIT: Funnily enough, just because something is not about me doesn't mean I can't take issue with it.

Edited by Beniboybling

/facepalm I said there acting experience is limited, you were the one who claimed Daisy Ridley had no experience when this is clearly not true, and that she is a bratty 13 year old when that is pure assumption on both accounts.

Who do you try to fool? That's not what you said:

Ridley has 1 year experience compared to 1 decade of the old 3. It's not even the same ballpark.

If you think experience doesn't matter go watch Transcendence.

Also I said that her looks is personal opinion, as it is with everyone in every case. What else you want me to say? I can't even express my opinion on a forum which is made for that purpose exactly?

Edited by cs_zoltan

Who do you try to fool? That's not what you said:

Ridley has 1 year experience compared to 1 decade of the old 3. It's not even the same ballpark.

If you think experience doesn't matter go watch Transcendence.

Also I said that her looks is personal opinion, as it is with everyone in every case. What else you want me to say? I can't even express my opinion on a forum which is made for that purpose exactly?

"Pay attention to the use of speech marks, I'm using your own hyperbole here."

As I said when you said she as "like no experience" I assume you were exaggerating and meant limited, hence my use of your terms. But clearly you are not as you seem to think her seeming one year of on-screen experience counts for nothing. I could bring up a list of younger actors who've shown talent, but you can look that up yourself I'm sure.

Your entitled to your opinion, but you need to be prepared to be told that your wrong.

EDIT: What do I expect you to do? Give the girl a damn chance, maybe she is a brat with limited acting ability way in over her head but we don't know that yet, and clearly others think otherwise.

Edited by Beniboybling

I can't believe I missed this. Not good.

Hopefully the female lead will be more than some princess in need of saving. But the lack of any supporting female characters at all (so far) is very concerning. Especially because it decreases the chances that there will be a non-stereotypical, kick-butt type of woman in the cast.

I really wanted a female Sith villain. :confused:

Edited by Warren-Stride

I can't believe I missed this. Not good.

Hopefully the female lead will be more than some princess in need of saving. But the lack of any supporting female characters at all (so far) is very concerning. Especially because it decreases the chances that there will be a non-stereotypical, kick-butt type of woman in the cast.

I really wanted a female Sith villain. :confused:

Well with Fisher and Ridley both having speaking rolls they've already at least doubled Episode IV and V's number of women characters, and tied all the other movies. So... yay? :rolleyes:

EDIT: My mistake, Episode One had THREE women with speaking roles, I forgot both Real!Amidala and Fake!Amidala had lines.

Edited by DarthDymond

Alright just to clarify, when I said "obscure" I meant they aren't "A-list" or known for main roles in major blockbuster films. And of them all I don't think any of them have been leads in Television shows either.

This is of course excluding the older actors who are of course much more well established.

Also, Daisy Ridley (according to IMDb) started her acting career last year and has only been in British TV and now she has a lead role in Star Wars VII. I'm curious if Lucas did the casting himself because this is vintage George. Probably not, but it's an entertaining thought.

Max Von Sydow is been acting since 1949 -- he is in his 80s. He has appeared in well over 100 movies and is a well known actor. He has had two academy award nominations and a host of other (lesser) nominations. He is a great actor and I am very pleased to see him in this movie. IMHO he would make a great Sith Sorcerer.