Darkness / Kinetic Combat Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Darkness and Kinetic Combat Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

Some ideas for tactical items (not putting numbers in cause I don't know how to balance the game):

- Kinetic ward gives defense instead of shield

- Change shroud to an evasion instead of a resist (M/R vs F/T damage)

- 3 stacks Depredating Volts heals (like the good old days) instead of giving DR

- Change the mechanics of discharge (maybe move from AOE to single target to make it relevant when fighting one thing)

- Any way (can't think of any) to sacrifice defense for offense

Set bonus:

- Taunt cooldown reduce is still useful in some situations and I would keep that somewhere

- Some way to reduce defensive ability cooldowns upon taking damage

- Flat DR increase (against all or certain types of damage)

- Movement speed increase

Well, I will be the first to throw my 2 cents in. Shadox from Darkest Hour here, thank you for the opportunity first of all to listen to us and ask for our feedback. It is really appreciated.

I've played since open Beta began and have seen the ups and downs that have come with the game and the various decisions made. One of the ones I was disappointed with was the consolidating of the skill trees into a more defined path more or less which removed some of the customization. Now I understand why this happened as a lot of people weren't properly taking what they should in order to best utilize their class and spec but I'm someone that reads and studies and experiments to figure out what will work best for the group I am in or going solo. So to bring back some customization is very welcome!

As a tank primarily, I would like something that does some self-healing like we used to have and either makes our AOEs a bit stronger damage wise or adds something to them, like short CCing or something of that sort. Deprecading (sp) volts used to heal and that was the reason we built our stacks up before using it. It gave us more to help ourselves and allowed the healers a potential break to help the raid or group a bit.

Also, moves that can increase our damage absorption or avoidance altogether would be a close second in my opinion or even gives more absorption for the group. It doesn't need to be a lot as our stats are already pretty decent but a tank should be absorbing that damage a lot and I know on some bosses, even with research, I still feel like paper. I don't think we should be OP by any stretch but I do want to feel more like "I can handle this guys, you do the damage to take him down." Tactics are still important as they should be so it's a balancing thing. I know bosses are super in their own right but man do I wish tanks could interrupt or better avoid some of their moves more often because that is our job.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for this opportunity to tell you my thoughts!

Tactical:

• At Three stacks Depredating Volts hit's all targets effected by Discharge.
  • Force pull pulls the target and all targets within 30 meters under the effect of Recklessness but consumes all charges or Recklessness.
  • Phantom Stride's range is set to >5 meters but when activated causes you to negate the next hit you take.

Set Bonus:

Small self heal on Depradating volts for each target it hits on full stacks.

Edited by Botho

Tactical Ability Suggestion:

Revamp Recklessness / Force Potency by adding one of these effects:

Choose between :

1. Negate all damage taken (from all sources) for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, the negated damage will be applied as a DoT that ticks over 10 seconds (not cleansable).

2. Adds 1 charge of [ChargeName]. [ChargeName] causes your next attack to apply [DebuffName] to your target for 10 seconds.

- [DebuffName] (Debuff on Enemy): All incoming attacks heal the attacker for [X]% of the attack's damage. (opposite of reflect)

This would make a tank choose between personal survivability, or raid survivability.

Originally was in my deception post, but placing it where it belongs.

Darkness

-Depredating volts now deals damage to all targets 5m from the initial at 50% reduced damage. Not sure if this is applicable, but it would hit the main target for full damage, but any targets it bounces to would be hit with the reduced amount, mainly to increase the AoE damage sin tanks can do without having to sacrifice their dark protection

-Whenever you shield an attack reduce the CD of wither by 1 second, rotational change that also increases DR due to current set bonus, and increases AoE damage.

-Force pull now has no minimum range, but within 10m you interrupt the target and root them for 3 seconds, most interesting one, as the other 2 tanks have extra interrupts on charge, yet sins don't. Both a pvp a pve application that might also reduce force pull's CD for extra force pull threat during boss fights.

-For every target hit by whither increase your DR by 2% for 3 seconds, just a different approach to the current set bonus as it is an AoE skill

How about bringing back the old set bonuses:-

(Old 2 piece set bonus) Increases shield chance by an additional 5% during Dark Ward/Kinetic Ward.

(Old 4 piece Set Bonus) Increases Elemental, Internal, Kinetic and Energy damage reduction by 2%.

I think bringing back the old self healing tank game play would be very popular, Maybe something like this:-

While Dark Ward/Kinetic Ward is active you are healed by X% of your maxium health every second, additional when you gain a charge of Dark Bulwark/Kinetic Bulwark the heal increases by X% per charge.

Also maybe make tanking relics more useful for example, reducing the cooldown timer of certain defensive abilities (eg. Deflection, Force Shrould/Reslience).

Some ideas for tactical items (not putting numbers in cause I don't know how to balance the game):

- Kinetic ward gives defense instead of shield

- Change shroud to an evasion instead of a resist (M/R vs F/T damage)

- 3 stacks Depredating Volts heals (like the good old days) instead of giving DR

- Change the mechanics of discharge (maybe move from AOE to single target to make it relevant when fighting one thing)

- Any way (can't think of any) to sacrifice defense for offense

Set bonus:

- Taunt cooldown reduce is still useful in some situations and I would keep that somewhere

- Some way to reduce defensive ability cooldowns upon taking damage

- Flat DR increase (against all or certain types of damage)

- Movement speed increase

Hya! Long time no see! :)

On to the content, here, first, I'll start with the set bonuses. I agree, keeping the taunt reductions is an idea to consider. It's useful at times, particularly for the quicker triple taunt opener and for any aggro drops, and for PvP, it's pretty good, helps tanks do their job better. And for your second bullet point, are you thinking of something like Lightning Reflexes, but possibly for Overcharge and Deflection as well? If so, that's an idea. I also agree with your third point, this was our pre-3.x Set Bonus and it was rather useful, particularly the internal and elemental damage part. I'd also favor a movement speed increase.

Onto tactical items. I agree with the DV heal. If it is a 2% per tick heal like it was in the old days, it'd still be powerful, but not ridiculously slow, like in early 1.x. I'd also appreciate a tactical item that lets us speed up the channel of DV, at the cost of some of its damage, much like Madness Sorcerors get with Force Ligthning. This helps overcome the problem of having to stop your highest DPS ability to pop a cooldown. We're the only tanks that have this problem, and while it's a small one, a way to overcome it would be nice. And I'll have to brainstorm ideas of how to increase our damage but reduce our defenses.

In the Star Wars movies, force users have the ability to deflect blaster shots and potentially redirect them at a target, This is a game of course, so all the shots can not be deflected/redirected, but it does feel like it should be more common.

I personally feel all the force user classes should have some ability to do this, with melee being able to do it more often than rdps /healers, and the tanks more often than melee. However, I have to post this someplace, and it makes more sense to post this in the tanking section than anywhere else, so....

I also realize the Guard/Juggs/Shadws/Sins have an ability that can be used over a short time which deflects 100%. I'm not proposing anything that will minimize nor negate those abilities,

I propose 2/4/6 bonuses that do the following:

- 2 set bonus that has an increase X% chance to deflect white damage and a smaller y% increase to redirect back to the target,

- 4 set bonus that has an increase X% chance to deflect special damage and a smaller y% increase to redirect back to the target,

- 6 set bonus that has an increase X% chance to deflect AoE damage and a smaller y% increase to redirect back to the target,

• 2 weeks later...

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

DARKNESS/KINETIC

Tactical Suggestions:

• Depredating Volts is now instant, consumes 50% less force, deals 50% less damage, builds an extra stack of Dark Protection (5 total) and can be activated at 30m
  • Discharge grants the next melee attack to proc Energize and Shock. Energize procs consumes no force.
  • Force pull has max range set to 15m, pulls up to 8 targets in the radius of 8m (of the target you pulled) and has it’s cooldown increased to 1m30sec. Only usable on non-player characters
  • 30 meter depredating volts with recklessness.
  • Item which can be placed to replicate the old phase walk healing circle
    • Assassin’s shelter

[*]Wither refunds 5 force per target hit and deals 20% extra damage to primary target

[*]Losing Dark bulwark heals you by 1% per stack. Can only happen once every 30 seconds

[*]Shroud of Darkness changes Recklessness effect. Staggers 50% of the damage taken for the duration of Recklessness and the remaining 50% you take as periodic damage over 20 seconds (ticks every second).The periodic damage cannot be cleansed.

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Shock heals you by 2% of your total maximum HP per activation
  • 4 set - Wither reduces the cooldown of Mind Control and Mass Mind Control by 2 seconds.
  • 6 set - 3 stacked Depredating Volts reduces the cooldown of Overcharge Saber by 1 second per activation.

Cause I posted in the wrong thread as well I will post here for visibility.

I think my idea is the best of all and should be implemented, no discussion. It 100% will alter the way you play Darkness and will make for very interesting gameplay.

New tactical item: Tome of Darth Flatulence

Tome of Darth Flatulence changes the name of Dark Ward to Dark Fart. Instead of giving you 15 stacks you start at 0. Every time you shield an attack you hear a quiet fart sound and you gain one stack of Dark Fart and like Dark Ward you surround yourself with a gas cloud, this cloud will grow larger and the fart sounds will get louder and more violent with each stack you gain.

When you reach 15 stacks you gain a temporary ability called Wrath of Flatulence where you can unleash your deadly fart cloud on your enemies, suffocating and poisoning them with the smell of 15 farts. This can either be an area attack or a single target attack. The single target attack makes you use the power of the force to compress your gasses into a tiny little but very dense cloud where the area one lets your gasses flow freely and hurt anyone in its path.

As a bonus for another temporary ability:

When Dark Fart reaches 15 stacks you get to smell your own farts. The dark side force energy stored in your farts will heal you / your team for x amount of HP.

Edited by DarthYun

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Darkness and Kinetic Combat Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

I specifically Re-Subscribed to solely be able to message on these forums on this thread

( so imagine how many others Subscribers that'll return if you consider my idea )

Tactical Items = More Action-Combat Abilities ( i.e. abilities that does not require a target ( some already established abilities are " Cyclone Slash " , " Whirling Blow " , " Gun Sweep " Mortar Volley " , " Force Quake " and others

My only request - no more telegraphs ( can you remove them? )

An example

• " Force Jump " = Just like in the movies, some Jedi and Sith can Jump. An ability that'll look different from the environment. Think of Ataru Form ( ... the Original Ataru Form via acrobatics
  • Blade Twirling: Could be outside of Combat. Could also be an RP gig ( idk )

Aim for Jedi Academy's Style Combat.

Bring back the Jedi Forms

• Shi-Cho
  • Makashi
  • Ataru ( Acrobatics .. not a " speedy " form )
  • Soresu
  • Shi-en / Djem So
  • Niman
  • Juyo ( not the previous one )

Give shadow tanks chanced heal as old good days back. I.e. procs of Combat technique additionally heal.

Balance shadows (serenity) can do more heal too (as it was initially). That has sense - if you want kill such a shadow - dont do 5 people assisted leap on it.

For infiltr. not sure. Played it 1 week since 2012. Never liked :D

Shadow Stride may be changed to jump to friendly target additionally - any other class can do that - op/jug/mara kinda (with no target jump)/pt ...

Return back teleports, which are sage exclusive now? - Some item may do that 1st class.

But ye, hardly miss self heals. That's why never played infil - bcs it never had.

Basically you can use initial design as reference - that was really cool. Not sure why you had to change that.

Maybe u can make it look new - for example "vampiric force" - critical force hits heal user for some amount (critical aoe on many targets heals many times). Important. It should trigger all relics too, so can use healer's one to make mega heal (and loosing some defence/damage of coz). Or it can be just random, like 30% chance of any hit to heal (and that is just copy of healing Combat Tech :D). Or it can be just plain - 5% of damage actually done heals you (i.e. accounting all resists on target). So in pvp people will think ...if they want be full dd, when others heal-to-full hitting em.

Counter critical - shielding/resisting/dodging crit automatically grants crit for u on next ability.

Edited by alexzk

• 3 weeks later...

Tactical Items:

Wither and Discharge are no longer AoE abilities but now hit twice as hard. In addition, Force Pull has no minimum range and deals X amount of damage. (doesn't need to be a large amount of damage, but something notable) (increase to single target)

Shock and Depredating Volts now strike up to two additional targets when used. In addition, Force Pull now pulls in up to 7 additional enemies within 15m of the original target to you. (increase to AoE)

While in combat, every 1.5 seconds you go without shielding an attack, you gain a stack of X (not sure what to call it... maybe Efficient Technique or something similar) which decreases the force consumed by all abilities by 2% per stack and stacks up to 20 times. (useful in fights where you don't get to shield attacks which aren't many if I recall correctly)

Increases the DR provided by the level 60 passive Premonition by an additional 15%. In addition, the cooldown of Overcharged Saber is reduced by 15 seconds.

Activating an Adrenal or Medpac doubles its duration and effects. (might be worth putting it on all specs and adrenals)

Set Bonus:

2pc: Each time you lose a charge of Dark Ward or Kinetic Ward you have a 40% chance to restore 1% of your maximum health. This effect cannot occur more than once a second. (the "leaked" set bonus which I really like)

2pc: Activating Deflection increases the damage of all your force attacks by 15% for the duration

4pc: Dealing damage with Discharge increases DR by 2% for every target hit (modified of the "leaked")

4pc: Maul and Assassinate now deal an additional 15% damage.

6pc: Each stack of Harnessed Darkness heals you for 4% when used

6pc: Depredating Volts can now benefit from the Energize passive as well. In addition, the channel duration is reduced by 50%.

One set bonus for insane survival ability and another for a bump in damage. I think every tank may want a choice like that since some fights benefit from the tank dealing more damage and others need tanks to withstand massive damage. Balancing this for PvP may be an issue however... perhaps as simple as not allowing the damage increase set bonuses in PvP WZs and Arenas. I'm not sure what would be best honestly.

Edited by SpleneticGamer

• 4 months later...
Well, I will be the first to throw my 2 cents in. Shadox from Darkest Hour here, thank you for the opportunity first of all to listen to us and ask for our feedback. It is really appreciated.

I've played since open Beta began and have seen the ups and downs that have come with the game and the various decisions made. One of the ones I was disappointed with was the consolidating of the skill trees into a more defined path more or less which removed some of the customization. Now I understand why this happened as a lot of people weren't properly taking what they should in order to best utilize their class and spec but I'm someone that reads and studies and experiments to figure out what will work best for the group I am in or going solo. So to bring back some customization is very welcome!

As a tank primarily, I would like something that does some self-healing like we used to have and either makes our AOEs a bit stronger damage wise or adds something to them, like short CCing or something of that sort. Deprecading (sp) volts used to heal and that was the reason we built our stacks up before using it. It gave us more to help ourselves and allowed the healers a potential break to help the raid or group a bit.

Also, moves that can increase our damage absorption or avoidance altogether would be a close second in my opinion or even gives more absorption for the group. It doesn't need to be a lot as our stats are already pretty decent but a tank should be absorbing that damage a lot and I know on some bosses, even with research, I still feel like paper. I don't think we should be OP by any stretch but I do want to feel more like "I can handle this guys, you do the damage to take him down." Tactics are still important as they should be so it's a balancing thing. I know bosses are super in their own right but man do I wish tanks could interrupt or better avoid some of their moves more often because that is our job.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for this opportunity to tell you my thoughts!

i agree..as a dark sin . i see more taken away than given.If we are to tank we need a bit more self heals.

Our dps is lower than most so any thing for survival to me is better than dps.

i agree..as a dark sin . i see more taken away than given.If we are to tank we need a bit more self heals.

Our dps is lower than most so any thing for survival to me is better than dps.

Honestly, I haven't tried anything in pvp yet but I feel as tho we have nothing that will prop us up without a healer currently and we feel lackluster.

"Luck always change" - drops from FP MM (had like 5 already ) Can be replaced by "durasteel wall" if you need guard for long.

1 crit proc relic

1 crit stat item (ear/implant)

all other balanced shield, with rising rate by augs later

1 healing relic (which procs 15k heal during 3s) - craft or use sork to get

4 items set for self heal - drops from fp

2 items set for ala - drops from fp, but not sure if it is working yet (any 2 items bonus)

Well, 22 medals on 1st day of using it. Very often crits. Hard times for new infiltration cheaters. They cannot kill with 2 stealth yet :D

Had fight with one such ... he lost his HP, had auto-heal proc to full and lost it again to 20% (all the time he was doing stealth-stealth-stealth) then I had to die to spawn on next door faster.

• 4 weeks later...