Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the republic boring

IoNonSoEVero
12.23.2018 , 10:40 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Rift Alliance is self serving as they want proof their valued members of the Republic. Which is why the Rift Alliance is made, to be proven they are.

Balmorra didn't want the Empire there and the Republic had to leave due to treaties. That's what treaties do, someone gets stuck in the middle of who gets what property.

Scourge is evil. He's a bad guy. He just doesn't want to see the galaxy destroyed, because he's one of the idiots living in it

Sith want to impose their view of the force on everyone. Not to mention, there's nothing showing the Voss aren't more dark side aligned. They did side with the Empire after all. Remember, they're mystics can see the future, so they know the Empire is evil. They just don't care. They even kick out their own force sensitives because they're not mystic class.

Gaden-Ko may say grey side, but really, it's self serving side. That's the Voss way.
We'll have to agree to disagree on all of this, and I'm afraid that if one just takes the view that one side is evil, there isn't anything worth discussing further.

But I think the Republic is just as terrible as the Empire, they just like to pretend they're righteous. There are plenty of examples of their own human rights abuses, looking the other way at slavery, genocide campaigns and so forth. Neither side is good.

Interesting thing, the Republic tries to stop Voss from training Sith and go on about how they are dark sided and want to impose Jedi ways on them, but the Empire doesn't do the same. They think the Voss ways are silly but they never try to stop them from being who they are.

SithKoriandr
12.23.2018 , 11:56 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on all of this, and I'm afraid that if one just takes the view that one side is evil, there isn't anything worth discussing further.

But I think the Republic is just as terrible as the Empire, they just like to pretend they're righteous. There are plenty of examples of their own human rights abuses, looking the other way at slavery, genocide campaigns and so forth. Neither side is good.

Interesting thing, the Republic tries to stop Voss from training Sith and go on about how they are dark sided and want to impose Jedi ways on them, but the Empire doesn't do the same. They think the Voss ways are silly but they never try to stop them from being who they are.
Odd that you think the anti sex slave, anti slave period, anti racist group, who might have some bad seeds in it, you see as equally as bad as the group that is pro sex slave, pro slaves period, pro racism (specism?), loves to stomp those beneath them under their boot.

I can understand the idea of thinking they're the more fun to play, but the Empire is evil. There is no "From a certain point of view"

The Voss share that ideal when they believe the Gormak to be a different race by the way. Only when they find out (which going by how skipping ahead has all dark sides chosen) they're related, so because the Republic was honest with them, not the Empire, do they stop fighting with them.

The Republic doesn't pretend to be righteous. What they do is say they have the moral high ground. Which they do. Empire's morals is "If I can kill you, serve me or die. If you piss me off, possibly die anyways."

Just because the good guys aren't perfect, doesn't make the bad guys good.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

ShieldProtection
12.24.2018 , 07:35 AM | #43
I hope we can get a full romance with Major Anri, I'm pro human but I also like twi-leks too, her voice actor is so good, my agent got a mail from her at the end.
I make long posts on SWTOR forums, read it or not, thank you anyway

AlrikFassbauer
12.24.2018 , 07:38 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
because GOOD IS DUMB
I guess you've been reading as much TV Tropes as I did yesterday ? https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsDumb
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

katiekrossover
12.24.2018 , 07:52 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I guess you've been reading as much TV Tropes as I did yesterday ? https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsDumb
My money is on he is quoting spaceballs.

Ylliarus
12.24.2018 , 07:58 AM | #46
Why the Republic is boring? Because it's fun to play the bad guys :P

Likely, most of us would never support a system like the Sith Empire irl. I guess that's why we enjoy playing the bad guys in a fictional world, because most of us would never do such irl. Story wise I have always been rooting for the bad guys, in Star Wars it's the Sith and in Mass Effect it's the Reapers. Why is that? I think because being evil, cruel, merciless is completely contradictory with my own nature and personality, so it's interesting to explore it in a fictional setting, to try to understand it from a distance (at least for me). It's also why I always loved playing the antagonists back when I was part of a theatre group in the plays we performed, because it was interesting to try to get into the head of someone who is completely your opposite.

The funny thing is that people often discard the Sith as evil and bad, but if you think about it the Sith Code isn't that much different from how people daily live their lives. Don't we praise people's passions, encourage them to be passionate? Don't we see strength as something good and that we should all strive for? Power can easily be translated into careers, wanting to increase your status or position, wanting to advance. And victory, well, we all strive to succeed in our ambitions, we all want to win. Ultimately, it is freedom that we seek, to be free from any chains that hold us back, to be able to live our lives the way we want to. Doesn't sound so evil at all, does it? If you take "Peace is a lie" literally, then that might be a tad messed up, but if you take "peace" as "stagnation" or "complacency", then our society tries to eliminate that as much as possible as well.
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

AscendingSky
12.24.2018 , 08:39 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post

Are you SERIOUSLY going to argue that a fascist state with an infrastructure maintained by a vast number of slaves, where sexual exploitation of said slaves is a totally acceptable practice, where anyone not human or pureblood is automatically considered a second-class citizen at best, where the citizens have nothing passing for protection of their rights and can be killed at whim by a ruling class of emotion-driven space wizards, and where all Force Sensitive children are forced upon threat of execution to be given up by their parents... is somehow morally equal to a representative democracy where members of all species have the same rights, slavery of all kinds is outlawed, giving up your child to the Jedi is voluntary, and the space wizards don't have any more power/authority/rights than any other citizen?

I think it's very telling--and disturbing--that you would hold and express such an opinion. No one's claiming the Republic is perfect (because it definitely isn't), but the Empire is so incredibly morally bankrupt by any reasonable standard of ethical judgment that trying to defend it as being just as 'good' as the Republic (simply because the Republic has also had some bad people in it and did some bad things too) is on the level of saying North Korea has just as ethical a government as the EU member nations today, or that Nazi Germany was just as morally in the right as the United States in WWII.

Also, what you said about the Sith not trying to convert the Voss to their ways? 100% untrue. There's a Republic side quest series dealing with a Sith, Lord Beldiss, trying to convert failed Mystics to the ways of the Sith through lies (saying that learning the Sith ways would let them become actual Mystics and undo their failure in the trials, basically).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beldiss
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yashu-Vo
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

OldVengeance
12.24.2018 , 12:33 PM | #48
I think that's the quest that also shows that the Jedi aren't eager to turn Voss Mystics into Jedi, because the Jedi Master you send the failed Voss potentials to for training is not happy about this.

SithKoriandr
12.24.2018 , 01:07 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I think that's the quest that also shows that the Jedi aren't eager to turn Voss Mystics into Jedi, because the Jedi Master you send the failed Voss potentials to for training is not happy about this.
Not eager, but still do it.

"I don't know about this, but...we'll do it."

Versus the Sith side

"Hahaha...we'll use you and squash you beneath our boot if it serves our purposes!"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

vingmotor
12.24.2018 , 01:16 PM | #50
because of the light side community vs the dark side.
the light side is a couple of stiffs basicly with no sence of humor.