SWTOR: Complete Guide to Cleansing in PvP (5.9)

kissingaiur

Rambol and I have just finished work on a guide to cleansing in PvP. Cleanse (known as “Dispel” in other games) is an underused ability, even among seasoned players. Learning how to cleanse will raise your gameplay and make you a greater asset to your team, whether you are a healer or DPS. We hope this guide will be useful to players of all skill levels.

We cover the basics, including a breakdown of effect types, and more nuanced ideas like cleansing priority. We’ve included a cheat sheet so you can check which effects can be cleansed by which disciplines. We also give some suggestions for optimizing your UI so you can cleanse more quickly and accurately.

This guide is the culmination of a lot of hours of research and testing but if there are any errors or omissions, please let us know.

Edited by kissingaiur

Must be from pros to pros. :)

I just use them when i have 3+ debuffs or slows or when i see that someone is mezzed. I can barely keep in mind my own buffs, not to mention debuffs from my enemy. Too much information for me to process. :D

Must be from pros to pros. :)

I just use them when i have 3+ debuffs or slows or when i see that someone is mezzed. I can barely keep in mind my own buffs, not to mention debuffs from my enemy. Too much information for me to process. :D

It helps to activate “show only cleanable debuffs”, this will filter out a lot of crap and make it easier for you to identify which debuffs are ones you should cleanse. Remember that the debuffs that have the most value in cleansing are ccs which are have 6 unique icons. In pvp these are the only ones you should be paying attention to, which makes it easier.

It helps to activate “show only cleanable debuffs”, this will filter out a lot of crap and make it easier for you to identify which debuffs are ones you should cleanse. Remember that the debuffs that have the most value in cleansing are ccs which are have 6 unique icons. In pvp these are the only ones you should be paying attention to, which makes it easier.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve never thought to change it.

This is a good guide.

But is pointless atm, since is at least 5 years overdue and now makes no difference at all for the many ******* that „play” wz with cleansing CD set to 0 and macro it in a loop even for their whole group!

Yet, is better to come out with a guide too late and pointless for the players, than compose it too soon and pointless for the devs!! - that 5 years ago had still a solid base of payers-players and could not care less about their insights.

So thank you for it you "real player" guide writer - since an advertise stun in time is worth more than a big black bird in the air!

Edited by Marmeladix

Hottie, quick question as I can’t find how you do this properly. At first I assumed you meant to do it under preferrences, but I couldn’t find the setting.

I then looked at the GUI editing and saw you can select how buffs operate, but I can’t see a specific setting to show only cleansable debuffs.

Am I looking in the right area? If so, what setting should I have it on?

Thanks in advance

Edit: sorry one more question that’s been bugging me for a while now and I don’t really trust anyone to really know the answer except you and rambol.

With Sabre reflect and other reflecting type abilities different classes have. Do the reflects record as damage “you” actually do? If so, does that mean if a Merc does 34k crit while I’ve reflect up, that I will record a 34k hit?

Hottie, quick question as I can’t find how you do this properly. At first I assumed you meant to do it under preferrences, but I couldn’t find the setting.

I then looked at the GUI editing and saw you can select how buffs operate, but I can’t see a specific setting to show only cleansable debuffs.

Am I looking in the right area? If so, what setting should I have it on?

Open interface editor > Click operation frame > Scroll down till you find the toggle show only cleansable effects. This is only for showing debuffs in the ops frame.

Edit: sorry one more question that’s been bugging me for a while now and I don’t really trust anyone to really know the answer except you and rambol.

With Sabre reflect and other reflecting type abilities different classes have. Do the reflects record as damage “you” actually do? If so, does that mean if a Merc does 34k crit while I’ve reflect up, that I will record a 34k hit?

Yes it counts as your damage. It even counts as your kill when you kill a player with a reflect ability up.

Edited by Ld-Siris

Open interface editor > Click operation frame > Scroll down till you find the toggle show only cleansable effects. This is only for showing debuffs in the ops frame.

I don’t want it in the Ops frames. Is there another option?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Yes it counts as your damage. It even counts as your kill when you kill a player with a reflect ability up.

Yeah, you can actually see when defeated.

34K reflect from so and so.

I hate dying from my own attack

I love killing other players with their own attack lol

OP Guardian move that needs a nerf, prove me wrong ... in fact, nerf guardians in general! Only 'mandos should have a reflect!

On a serious note are their any healers out there that dont keep their cleanse on CD?? Or is it just me while face tanking?

OP Guardian move that needs a nerf, prove me wrong ... in fact, nerf guardians in general! Only 'mandos should have a reflect!

On a serious note are their any healers out there that dont keep their cleanse on CD?? Or is it just me while face tanking?

No one cleanses in swtor, majority of players in ranked also do not actually cleanse team mates, which is sad.

No one cleanses in swtor, majority of players in ranked also do not actually cleanse team mates, which is sad.

Then they are bad, and should feel bad for being bad. I can't comment on ranked, that stuff is toxic to my fragile combat medic ego, but anything I can take off while facetanking 5 ppl at mid or trying to keep my tank alive while she is doing that for me is worth a 1.3 sec GCD. Your guide looked specifically at stun types, and that may be more important in ranked than regs, but being able to remove a few DOTs may just mean the difference between dying and getting that shield off CD.

Then they are bad, and should feel bad for being bad. I can't comment on ranked, that stuff is toxic to my fragile combat medic ego, but anything I can take off while facetanking 5 ppl at mid or trying to keep my tank alive while she is doing that for me is worth a 1.3 sec GCD. Your guide looked specifically at stun types, and that may be more important in ranked than regs, but being able to remove a few DOTs may just mean the difference between dying and getting that shield off CD.

I complete agree. Cleanses can change the outcome of fights but I only see 1% of the community doing them and even less as dps hence why I made this guide. To remind players what they can cleanse and to actually incorporate it in combat.

I complete agree. Cleanses can change the outcome of fights but I only see 1% of the community doing them and even less as dps hence why I made this guide. To remind players what they can cleanse and to actually incorporate it in combat.

But isn't it better to just let the healer stay stunned, and then force him/her to either let someone die, or pop their cc break in the first ten seconds of the match, and then rage at them when their team loses? I mean that's what usually happens right?

But isn't it better to just let the healer stay stunned, and then force him/her to either let someone die, or pop their cc break in the first ten seconds of the match, and then rage at them when their team loses? I mean that's what usually happens right?

That’s how you play SWTOR EzClap