An example of how unpolished endgame is

Dont forget bud. This operation is getting a major overhaul come patch 1.1 later this month =p

So space is getting a major overhaul, operations will get them as well and what else .... the game may actually be decent in a year.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out that the only reason people are struggling on hard-mode Soa, which is the last boss of Eternity Vault, is because during phase transitions he randomly kills people being thrown around and the lightning balls that have to be dodged throughout the fight randomly teleport around the room. Basically, the only thing that makes the boss difficult is bugs.

This is a pretty huge deal.

Edited by GeLopez

My preference is Bioware delayed the game for a month or so and ironed out these bugs. MMORPGs usually only get one shot to hook players in, and the first impressions of endgame are not hooking many people in.

It would've taken half a year to fix this wreck they've launched with. Perhaps longer. They released it because it was Christmas, and at Christmas people are vulnerable to expensive **** that doesn't work. Endgame raiding is just so incomplete - there's no point discussing it or taking it seriously because of the amount of issues there are. It's pretty simple to understand this game misses out on fundamental, basic functions that are integral to good MMO gameplay.

Edited by Cranberries

Thanks for beta testing the endgame for us people who are slower :p When I am 50 it'll hopefully be fixed.

Don't blame Bioware for a rushed launch, it's the big wigs at the green table who desperately wanted the christmas money to increase their bonus. Managers seem to only plan short term these days.

Edit: big wigs at EA that is.

Edited by Tharrn

All I saw was mention of things no other MMO has either at launch.

No MMO I know of had well tuned and polished end games, not even WoW *gasp*! Most MMO's launch with tons of problems with end game, sometimes they don't even have any end game.

Certainly the games got some issues, but what you are griping about for end game has NEVER been accomplished by any other MMO to date at launch.

UBRS in wow, 15man instance. got tuned down years later to 5man

but was perfectly polished endgame back then.

UBRS in wow, 15man instance. got tuned down years later to 5man

but was perfectly polished endgame back then.

MC and Ony were in the game too but Blizzard made it clear their loot tables were incomplete and should be sought purely for the challenge as they were working on proper, rewarding loot tables.

Rumors of Onyxia, an enormous black dragon, have been heard through out Azeroth. Be sure to bring many brave warriors for she won’t take kindly to intruders in her lair. Both factions will need to complete unique, and challenging quests to gain access to the Onyxia encounter. **During the beta testing there will be a temporary placeholder vendor who sells keys to Onyxia’s lair for testing purposes.

Discovered in the heart of Blackrock Mountain beyond the Depths, lies the Molten Core. Within the Molten Core lives a multitude of ancient and powerful evil. Adventurers be ware, for the dangers found within the Molten Core are many and takes many forms.

** Raid loot is being worked on and temporary loot has been placed in raid encounters.

It would've taken half a year to fix this wreck they've launched with. Perhaps longer. They released it because it was Christmas, and at Christmas people are vulnerable to expensive **** that doesn't work. Endgame raiding is just so incomplete - there's no point discussing it or taking it seriously because of the amount of issues there are. It's pretty simple to understand this game misses out on fundamental, basic functions that are integral to good MMO gameplay.

Actually, what makes so many of these issues aggravating is that so many of them seem like they're pretty basic. Things like where the boss spawns or making some spells simply turn off during phase transitions do not seem like they'd be massive coding challenges. Same thing with PVP issues like the Ilum daily and weekly requiring killing players and players dropping Mercenary Commendations in Ilum and Outlaw's Den.

MC and Ony were in the game too but Blizzard made it clear their loot tables were incomplete and should be sought purely for the challenge as they were working on proper, rewarding loot tables.

Most of the loot was their, it just had placeholder art. I remember getting my rogue bloodfang but it was just a red version of the tier 0 armor for a long time.

Raid culture was still new back then. Hardcore raiders were probably still in eq, or hedged their bet on eq2 instead. Wow also launched with significantly more differentiators compared to eq, than swotr has with wow for example. This is important because bug tolerance is higher when you have newer features.

Edited by kalexkhan

The OP rushes to level 50 in a game which has only just been released, and then complains about lack of polish. Hilarious.

It's not "polish." A lot of things are completely broken, as in they do not work at all.

I am patient enough to wade through these bugs. My point is that most people aren't, and when those top guilds complain loudly about the bugs it could spell trouble for the game's health.

Edited by GeLopez

Rift.

/argument

Rift's endgame wasn't quite as polished for atleast the first month as some people seem to remember, there was bugs, crashes, boss problems, bugged mechanics and not to mention exploits which caused atleast one whole guild to be banned for exploiting.

so no, no /argument

I really wanted to roll an alt while I waited for endgame to be fixed only to be put off because I'm worried I will miss out on some cool character creation option when Legacy gets implemented. Seriously considering just canceling my account for now and then starting up again when things are running smoother aka working properly. Or at least working enough to get through without too much of a headache. Edited by Cryptoling

Rift's endgame wasn't quite as polished for atleast the first month as some people seem to remember, there was bugs, crashes, boss problems, bugged mechanics and not to mention exploits which caused atleast one whole guild to be banned for exploiting.

so no, no /argument

Why are people trying to pass rift as a perfect game?

As far as I remember it, it was actually worst then this at launch...

Why are people trying to pass rift as a perfect game?

As far as I remember it, it was actually worst then this at launch...

It wasn't. It had most of what WoW had. Even had better graphics and, in my opinion, better ideas - the 'rift idea' was one of genius. Server wide events that can entice mass pvp and mass exodus of creatures in order to gain special items. That's totally genius.

Rift lacked a 'big name'. That's the really depressing thing.

It wasn't. It had most of what WoW had. Even had better graphics and, in my opinion, better ideas - the 'rift idea' was one of genius. Server wide events that can entice mass pvp and mass exodus of creatures in order to gain special items. That's totally genius.

Then... go play rift?

I played it the first week it came out and both me an my friend found it completely bland and lifeless and we couldn't find a single thing that the game did exceptionally well. It was like the swiss army knifes of mmo's. It wasn't really a bad game but it wasn't really that "good" either. It was just an average MMO with a lot of stuff thrown into it. But hey, if thats your thing then I suggest you stop wasting your time playing TOR and go back to a game you actually enjoy.

Unpolished, but seemingly working.

EQ2: world boss downed, dropped vendor trash

Vanguard: raid dungeon cleared, no loot at all

Bosses not dropping loot has been a problem. After a dozen wipes, I was in a group that was finally able to kill the over-tuned final boss of Boarding Party using a strategy that I highly doubt is intended (kiting one of the three boss enemies outside of the room and using a "die and run back" strategy). After completing this overtuned encounter, the loot chest would not open. While I believe this particular bug has been fixed, I've encountered several bosses that drop no loot at all.

The entire endgame loot system seems unpolished right now. People are getting the Rakata gear (highest gear level currently) from easy mode operations and hard mode flash points. That's just silly and needs adjustment.

Edited by Azkit

Interesting read and much as I suspected. Pre-made lvl 50 toons came very late in the beta, most end-game has only been tested internally by BW. I do recall hardmodes coming in VERY late in the beta.

I don't think BW should have held off the game longer, but maybe not included hard modes in the launch. They could have patched that in two months or so later when enough had cleared normal modes. With the staged early access it would also have given guilds an equal start for world first races.

Lets hope BW are working on this.

Bosses not dropping loot has been a problem. After a dozen wipes, I was in a group that was finally able to kill the over-tuned final boss of Boarding Party using a strategy that I highly doubt is intended (kiting one of the three boss enemies outside of the room and using a "die and run back" strategy). After completing this overtuned encounter, the loot chest would not open. While I believe this particular bug has been fixed, I've encountered several bosses that drop no loot at all.

Chests not opening after you wipe on a boss is still an issue, even in low level Flashpoints.

I have to agree with OP ...

Better to have had 2 fully complete/functional Operations then to have a bunch of "almost complete" Operations.

If you do something, do it good or dont do it at all.

I think they never expected whole guilds to be doing lvl 50 endcontent within 2 weeks after the release.... they underestimated the no lifers :p (j/k!!!)

It's not "polish." A lot of things are completely broken, as in they do not work at all.

I am patient enough to wade through these bugs. My point is that most people aren't, and when those top guilds complain loudly about the bugs it could spell trouble for the game's health.

When those kinds of guilds/members complain and move on, I hope it will be good for the game's long term health, as it hopefully will not cater to the average WoW addict enough to keep them around.

I'm in no way a "SW fan". I find the movies ridiculous and badly written drama. Thumb Wars amuse me more than any of the movies, as I happen to have seen the first three and fell asleep to the jar-jar binks movie once. But I do like a good casual game which has the potential to last for a very long time, that I can play with family and friends.

I used to "hardcore" raid on and off in EQ1. I did my early game 48h raids in PoF with short breaks for bathroom and food, back when i was in my early 20s. I do not seek that anymore. I want something else, which I think SWTOR can give me, but WoW failed at. At least early WoW, which turned me off so much I will never play the game again.

Perhaps there is not one perfect game, which will satisfy all, like many seem to suggest. Perhaps this game is not meant to satisfy the powergamer who get to max level in one week and want to Be First with all the content then run around and show their loot off to the non-elite players who hopefully will ooh and aaah...? Or whatever people get off on, who feel the need to do so.

For a good, balanced PvP experience and such, perhaps FPS games are a better choice. They usually get you right to the end game and you can work on minor gear changes while playing the end game, like modern warfare, battlefield, etc.... I enjoy those games as well, but when I play RPG I don't mind RPG elements, and a different pace.

Chests not opening after you wipe on a boss is still an issue, even in low level Flashpoints.

Is that the source of the bug? If you ever wipe on a boss, the boss's chest won't be available when you kill it?

Sorry, but Rift lacked atmosphere. The world events (the rifts) we're useless and annoying once you had done a few... it became massive chaotic things that people hogged.

and dont get me talkign about PVP ...

The idea was good.. but it was just not what people wanted... atleast not the first 2 months (then i quit)...

enough of Rift and WoW though.... its getting boring comparing dick sizes the whole time.

[edit]

HEY .. "dick" isnt a bad word :D

Edited by Guarrand

Then... go play rift?

I played it the first week it came out and both me an my friend found it completely bland and lifeless and we couldn't find a single thing that the game did exceptionally well. It was like the swiss army knifes of mmo's. It wasn't really a bad game but it wasn't really that "good" either. It was just an average MMO with a lot of stuff thrown into it. But hey, if thats your thing then I suggest you stop wasting your time playing TOR and go back to a game you actually enjoy.

While it might have been bland and lifeless (which is subjective, because people could easily say TOR is lifeless), it was designed and marketed as the swiss army knife of MMOs.

And just like a swiss army knife, all of the 'stuff' Rift had worked! And that's the point of this thread. A lot of TOR's basic functions are broken, or not working as intended.

That's not to say they won't be fixed, but it is simply stupid to deny that many features are not working as intended.

And the 'it has just been released' defense is nothing more than an excuse.