Maintenance: 24 January 2017

TaitWatson

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on 24 January in order to apply Game Update 5.1: Defend the Throne. The website will also be unavailable during this time.

Details:

DATE: 24 January 2017

TIME: 5:00AM - 8:00AM PST (1300 - 1600 GMT)

VERSION: 5.1

Patch Notes will be available on Monday, January 23rd.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

I like the GC system.

The GC system is like ramming your head against a brick wall and expecting it not to hurt just to get the chance at a double. It actively punishes you for playing more than one character unless you don't really play intensive group content and gear never meant anything to your chances, really.

Should have titled it "Patch 5.1: Defend the Sub Losses from the universally hated GC System."

To late, I just unsubscribed. Bored out of my mind with this expansion. They should have keep the chapter a month idea, at least that keep me around. And Yes, the GC system is, well, I do not have time to figure out the best way to u se it,

Most people don't have a problem with the GC system as such, but the part that is RNG gearing.

ROFL

whats the difference with you having a re-ocuring sub and time card? You are supporting Bioware regardless!! You didnt last long unsubbed!

ROFL

whats the difference with you having a re-ocuring sub and time card? You are supporting Bioware regardless!! You didnt last long unsubbed!

Right, let me explain the differences that escape you.

As you correctly surmised I used to have a recurring sub that ran out January 3rd. Even though I actually never lost my forum privileges, I chose not to post anymore. Then a thought occured to me. I've always stated that the RNG part of the gearing system in 5.0 is the reason for my discontent. What that means at the same time is that I do like this game as such. Also something I never hid. Now please understand that I took a break from the game before 5.0 (though my sub was active) and that I came back for 5.0 and I hated the gearing. It killed my fun. So I stopped playing again in less than two weeks. So even though it may not be long that my sub ran out, I haven't played much at all in the last 4-5 months. So for me the distance from the game was much longer than my sub lapsing.

So my sub lapsed and we got closer to 5.1 and I had to ask myself this: do I give the game in its current iteration a second chance? And, secondly, do I want to try it out a bit more and have some data going into 5.1 and make an honest comparison and not just go by what others tell me in the forums and such?

The answer you know, but you do have a point about my putting money into the game again as a consequence of my choice. However, the timecard is significantly different in a couple of ways.

1) It's not a recurring sub. It doesn't automatically renew itself anymore. That's a big difference because many people just stay subbed out of habit because it's automatic. I now have to choose to actively renew it when it expires.

2) It's cheaper. There are two elements to this. First of all instead of spending 26 bucks for 60 days I paid 20. That's 6 bucks less invested. Secondly, by getting it via a third party site they also need a margin so BWA get even less money from me.

That was the compromise I made with myself.

I am currently playing and trying out the game now so I can compare it to 5.1 tomorrow. I have played for just over a week again and I found that if 5.0 persisted I would run out of interest. In fact after playing a week, I see what crafting can do and what RNG doesn't do. It's a nice start up with crafting because you feel like your gear is progressing and once that part is done, it comes to a grinding halt. Pun intended.

Now here's one more thought. I used to easily spend 150 bucks per month in the CM. When I took my break about 4-5 months ago this stopped. It was already slowing down just before it. I am fully aware that my sub is but a pittance compared to what I spent on the CM. That is over for sure. I've not even wanted to buy new cartel packs and that is telling to me anyway.

So make of it what you want. I was angry and let my sub run out as a consequence. Then I decided I still wanted to try it and bought a timecard instead of resubbing for the reasons above. I don't see a point in staying angry but the reality is that I still don't care for 5.0 gearing and I do want my voice to be heard when it comes to 5.1 and the livestream.

Edited by Tsillah

Most people don't have a problem with the GC system as such, but the part that is RNG gearing.

Precisely, RNG gearing is the most hated portion of 5.0. Galactic command is an interesting concept that was very poorly executed. GC can be salvaged by making a few changes to the GC system as well as by removing RNG gearing.

5.1 is nothing more than an inadequate band aid to try to maintain the RNG gearing system while throwing a very small and very meaningless bone to raiders when they could fix everything and make almost everyone happy except the forum white knights by increasing CXP rate, making GC legacy wide and reinstating 4.0's operations gearing in its entirety. Then Bioware can stay true to their vision for GC by allowing non-raiding PVE players to be able to get BiS raiding gear without raiding while not destroying the raiding community.

Thank you for keeping promises made to the playerbase!

Please kindly say that after they give us the points. We still have folks missing that extra chapter, the cartel coins for the double recruit event, the free month that they gave out a few months ago, etc....

I promise you. I'll be first in line thanking them for doing so.

Precisely, RNG gearing is the most hated portion of 5.0. Galactic command is an interesting concept that was very poorly executed. GC can be salvaged by making a few changes to the GC system as well as by removing RNG gearing.

The RNG portion is part of the problem. It may just be the worst aspect but the grind itself is just as player hostile. Both need to be solved.

Please kindly say that after they give us the points. We still have folks missing that extra chapter, the cartel coins for the double recruit event, the free month that they gave out a few months ago, etc....

I just hope people realize they're only giving us back the aggregate achieves that only show you which tier you hit and none of the detail. I mean it's great for those that got Legendary but some of us came up a bit short (had troubles with certain HMFP's). While it doesn't bother me I do know for those with more of an Achiever mindset it would probably drive them nuts.

Seriously BW ?

I am not that mad about lack of balances fixes, but my main gripe is there is no mention in your patch notes about fixing double stance bugs ... there is a vague note fixing one of the consequences about it on 1 class .... but seriously you need to investigate this issue further. THIS SHOULD OF BEEN FIXED AS A HIGH PRIORITY ISSUE because it directly affect player balance, some people have the bug some don't and not just assassins.

Resolved an issue that was causing certain character created prior to 5.0 to receive additional charges of Breaching Shadow / Static Charge in some cases.
/lol

It just doesn't affect that . .... It also is present on some new char creation tokens ..... The whole Passive stance is presetn twice, with some assassins having double armor etc... Please read this thread in bug reports : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=904336