Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

They should allow me to opt out of seeing any homosexual prompts.

Hello,

And also it should be possible to opt out of the heterosexual prompts.

In fact, a dual on/off switch would be ideal.

Opposite Gender Romance Prompts: Y/N

Same Gender Romance Prompts: Y/N

This way you could accommodate asexual people, bisexual people, heterosexual people, and homosexual people.

Edited by Sireene
reply to edited post

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should allow me to opt out of seeing any homosexual prompts.

Good thing they do already. I know when I see a "Flirt" option come up with someone I don't want to flirt with, I have a very usable option -- I don't click it.

If for some reason you feel compelled to flirt with people of the wrong gender... well, that's really something you need to think about, isn't it? Bioware's already addressed the issue. Toggles would be redundant, time-consuming to implement, and no matter how much people would like them to, don't make scary people go away.

Edited by Yvin
edited quote

I too would like to know what the plan is. Are we talking SGRA implementation within the next couple of patches or are we talking a year or two down the road?

I don't want to assume or anything, but are the recent rantings of the usual antigay suspects that was recently reported on Massively.com an indication of that crowd's latency or an indication that SGRAs are actually close to implementation? Are they just behind or are we not in the loop?

The reason I ask is that I'm wanting to play other characters other than my ultra-LS Jedi Knight who, character-wise, would never get involved in any sort of relationship because he follows the Jedi Council's advice on the matter of attachments and relationships.

No other character would be celibate, and without SGRA options available, I'm missing out on aspects of my character's storyline that others get to experience with their heterosexual orientation taken into account.

• My DS Consular would follow the "dark path" of a relationship, but just like no other hardcore heterosexual guy wants to do homosexual stuff, I don't want to do any heterosexual stuff with my characters.

• The other classes like IA and Smuggler are supposed to be flirty, but again I'm not going to play a class who's supposed to be flirty (and has great dialogue for it, from what I understand) only to skip all the flirt options because my characters, like myself, are not heterosexual.

• My two Sith are also in a holding pattern. Both of them would pursue relationships because there's no strict prohibition of attachments, but so far my LS Sith Warrior is just Vette's really non-threatening gay BFF. He treats her with respect and shops for clothes with her but doesn't make any advances. (Sooner or later, she's gonna figure it out. lol)

• The one class that I would love to play but which seems to have its own inherent issues is the Bounty Hunter. I rolled my BH and within the first few dialogue choices--none of which were marked as [Flirt] dialogue options btw--my BH was saying "Cute girls and big guns, where do I sign up?" I'm sorry, no. Just no. I can play this character, but if there's more of this along the way, then this one's also out of contention until SGRAs are implemented.

I really want to dive into this game wholeheartedly without any reservations, second-guessing, or wondering if I'm going to have to re-roll a character in order to experience SGRA-enabled companion storylines. I think it would be helpful for us to have an idea of when SGRAs will be implemented or at least an idea of where they are in the development timeline.

Bioware's already addressed the issue. Toggles would be redundant, time-consuming to implement, and no matter how much people would like them to, don't make scary people go away.

Well said. It made me grin. :)

I don't want to assume or anything, but are the recent rantings of the usual antigay suspects that was recently reported on Massively.com an indication of that crowd's latency or an indication that SGRAs are actually close to implementation? Are they just behind or are we not in the loop?

They are behind. It seems they only got wind of last summer's announcement that same-gender companion romances would be added post-lauch at launch, and then failed to comprehend that the content is not yet even in the game. That is, as should be no surprise, they have no idea what they are talking about.

That said, it does us no good to be complacent. It can't hurt to offset the pitchforks-and-torches crowd by writing to let EA and BioWare know that you want them to stick to their guns, and want to see same-gender content in game.

The other classes like IA and Smuggler are supposed to be flirty, but again I'm not going to play a class who's supposed to be flirty (and has great dialogue for it, from what I understand) only to skip all the flirt options because my characters, like myself, are not heterosexual.

I can tell you from experience that levelling a male Smuggler who swings from his own side of the tree is painful as the game stands. It really is what got me thinking hard about the absence of same-gender content. I didn't miss it on my Consular - like you, I am playing him by the Code.

But male Smugglers are hit with a barrage of [Flirt] prompts all through their story line missions - all from the ladies, of course. And the palpable subtext of advernturing with Corso as your companion, knowing there is no option to romance him, is salt in the wound. If you like Corso at all, anyway.

I want to mention as a tangent that we have heard nothing either way on whether BioWare intents to extend same-gender options beyond the (virtually invisible) companion romances into the (much more prevalent) [Flirt] prompts as well. If you want to see same-gender content beyond companion romances, I would invite you to say so in the relevant thread on the Suggestion Box forum, here.

I really want to dive into this game wholeheartedly without any reservations, second-guessing, or wondering if I'm going to have to re-roll a character in order to experience SGRA-enabled companion storylines. I think it would be helpful for us to have an idea of when SGRAs will be implemented or at least an idea of where they are in the development timeline.

Yeah - I am just going ahead and playing, and planning to reroll if the added options also apply to the 1-50 storylines. But I can't recommend this on classes where you want to have romantic or flirt options, because only seeing ones that don't appeal while knowing there are none that do is disheartening.

Nadia wants to get married, but I told her (In my Head ;p) that I'm holding out for white-bread Iresso :(

Now she wont give me gifts everyday-- the perk of being married in this game. Sounds awfully similar to how things work in RL with Government benefits with regard to this topic :-P

I know bug fixes are priority, as-is new FPs/OPs/Warzones coming in March. I just hope that they don't forget their promise made long ago. I'm being patient about it, but I won't get married with Nadia because it's not the direction my character is going to go. Especially since if they ever did SGRAs later, I might not be able to.. say..divorce O.o

I'll also note, that my ship was a sausage fest until level 44ish, and thus I had like 60+ Courting Gifts banked up. SGRAs would give another option for this item? ;)

Edited by KatrinaKatt

Corso likes my manly courting gifts just fine. :)

See, this actually got my hopes up with my Sith Warrior - Vette appreciates the courting gifts from her just fine - as does Kira on my Jedi Knight.

Now I know that technically it could be said that courting gifts are just another type of gift - but their very name and the fact that some same gendered companions give affection gain and the other myriad hints and not-so-sub-subtexts (My Imperial agent is having a cold shower every night having to listen to both Kaliyo and Temple - even worse when Watcher Two makes a call :confused:) lends credence to the theory that most of the content is already there just waiting to activate.

I've dabbled in modding previous Bioware games before and assuming they've kept the same tlk/dlg file set-up (From the leaked Mass Effect 3 script - which I am trying to avoid at all costs - it appears they have) - it really is as simple as removing the gender qualifier from the dialogue tree. Of course some re-editing of the voice work will no doubt be needed to remove non-neutral gender pro-nouns if they are used, but it's more time consuming than difficult - certainly would take a lot less time and resources than creating a whole new set of companions - especially when the consensus is that we like the ones we've got just fine. :)

So, um, yeah - let us romance who we already have please :D

(And give us that ETA, thanks)

So, um, yeah - let us romance who we already have please :D

(And give us that ETA, thanks)

If they had any foresight at all while building their tools giving us access to the content that already exists would be a pretty quick and painless thing to do. So it isn't a question of time or resources or priorities. It is a question of whether they want to include the loyal pro-same gender fanbase they have cultured in their previous games in this game or not. So far that answer is no.

We will see the first 10 replies from the Developer Q&A thread tomorrow. If same-gender content is not addressed, remember to ask again for the following week. With any luck at all, enough voices chimed in on the topic so that the Devs at least know that it is not content that only appeals to a tiny, financially negligible minority.

Another way to keep same-gender content in the eyes of the developers is to join the same-gender [Flirt] discussion on the Suggestion Box forum. Right now it has sunk to virtual invisibility on Page 4. Keep these issues visible. Bumping to bump is poor form - but there is always something more to say.

Visibility reminds BioWare that we have not forgotten, and however long content may take, information on where they are in the process, how they envision going about it and how long it might reasonably take are not unreasonable subjects to address.

Edited by Uluain

...even worse when Watcher Two makes a call :confused:

Yeah. There's just no way that isn't intentional. Watcher Two and my IA are flirting in every conversation, and the options aren't even properly there yet :D

Of course, now she's joined my other gay characters who are sitting around in cantinas, waiting until they can flirt with someone they're actually attracted to rather than NPCs they wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. I'm running out of straight/asexual characters I'd actually want to play.

Right now they have screaming fans that VASTLY outnumber you that are upset over crashes, blue screens of death, ability delay, stuttering animations, poor performance on machines, etc.

These are issues that affect the GAMEPLAY of 100% of the player base. SGRA's are affecting a NON-GAMEPLAY element of the game for a minority of players. I know it is tempting every single patch to hop up and start screaming about being ignored, but we are not even 90 days out yet and Bioware has a LOT of nearly gamebreaking issues still needing resolution.

With all due respect, I hope you realize that the issues you've mentioned are not handled by the people who would be working on the SGRs. To the best of my knowledge, BioWare's writers write the scenes and script how the conversations play out in-game - camera angles, expressions, movements, and so on. (I believe this is true because I applied for a writing job at BioWare Austin several years back, and doing things like that in a NWN module was part of the application.) The writers would not be handling problems with ability delay, animations, machine performance, etc.

Therefore, the people working on the gameplay elements that you've brought up are not hindered at all by other people working on SGRs. The idea that SGR implementation will somehow delay fixes for gamebreaking problems is incorrect.

We will see the first 10 replies from the Developer Q&A thread tomorrow. If same-gender content is not addressed, remember to ask again for the following week. With any luck at all, enough voices chimed in on the topic so that the Devs at least know that it is not content that only appeals to a tiny, financially negligible minority.

Another way to keep same-gender content in the eyes of the developers is to join the same-gender [Flirt] discussion on the Suggestion Box forum. Right now it has sunk to virtual invisibility on Page 4. Keep these issues visible. Bumping to bump is poor form - but there is always something more to say.

Visibility reminds BioWare that we have not forgotten, and however long content may take, information on where they are in the process, how they envision going about it and how long it might reasonably take are not unreasonable subjects to address.

Well said; quoted for truth. :D I'm optimistic that we'll get an answer tomorrow, but that's mostly because I find it much easier to hope for the best than assume the worst.

With regards to the posters who wanted to be able to opt out of seeing same gender flirt options. I don't mind that. It should of course go both ways.

If a toggle, either for the whole game or per character, means that more or higher quality same gender romance content can be added with less controversy, then I'm all for it. The world isn't perfect, and facing reality I can see how that might be the best way to go.

I still find it strange how people react to that considering the Sims with same gender flirt options have been here since like forever.

Edited by gekko_s

I still find it strange how people react to that considering the Sims with same gender flirt options have been here since like forever.

Worse still; from what I remember, in the Sims I couldn't even CONTROL it. One of the men I created ended up going out on a date with another man and I had no input into the process! In this game, you have to pretty much TRY to flirt.

Nothing new to really add, just wanna go on record saying I hope they at least give us an update on this soon. I don't mind waiting, my SW and Quinn are carrying on a pretty good romance in my head and it's tiding me over, but waiting without having any idea how long until they add this, or even if they will, gets frustrating. And it's BioWare's own damn fault too that I'm so eager. I was perfectly fine settling for the normal, opposite gender romances until Dragon Age. After that I was totally ruined. I needs my same sex romance dammit! lol.

Id leave. story and immersion are key to me and despite this being a mmo which generally lack in both of those, this one was supposed to be the exception, as far as rpgs are concerned if romances are an option I only play those that have the ability for samesex included or have mods to allow it. Honestly I wouldnt have gotten the game to begin with had they not announced that they intended to include it back in the quote from september and as such my will to hold out diminishes with each passing day they dont give us any more information. People might say thats very petty or silly but its an aspect thats important to me just like aspects that are important to other people that I dont really care about.

Count me as a vote to have the upcoming same sex relationships as a feature you can disable. Heck, I'd like to disable the relationship feature altogether, not just the same sex. In an ideal world we'd have two new options under social; enable relationships and enable same sex relationships.

BTW, this post was edited by a forum Community Rep to take out some inflammatory content. Where that originally irked me, it seems that this censoring is being done with an even hand. Thanks for leaving the important points of this post, rather than deleting it altogether.

Edited by Shaynee

I am one of those people who is quietly losing interest because I can't romance the companion that I want to romance, while having to endure endless flirting from Mako.

I think that's a justifiable feeling to have, and here's why. From what I have played so far there is nothing gender-specific about the (Flirt) dialogue I have seen or done. So unless Bioware has some big plan to have gay companions with same-sex-specific dialogue, it is very strange that they described the issue as some kind of tough choice over what to spend time developing for launch.

From what I can tell, it wouldn't have cost anything. I think the real issue is that Star Wars, like Star Trek, is a very well known IP with an older following, and they decided not to rock that boat. There's simply no other explanation for it considering they have already published games with open romance options.

Hello everyone,

This thread has reached post threshold and we have recreated it. Please continue the discussion here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=289101

Please remember when posting that replies must be on-topic, constructive and respectful to all members of the community. Replies that do not adhere to this, or replies that discuss politics, religion or morality will be removed.

Thank you for your cooperation as we all work together to continue keeping this forum a safe and welcoming environment for the entire community!