New player, got some questions!

Arccai

Hiya,

I just added a subscription and ready to get into this lovely game, but i got some questions before i do :]

1. I did check the differences between a subscriber and f2p status @ http://www.swtor.com/free/features

And it clearly says Full access to all character creation choices, but yet theres some species to unlock, maybe i misunderstood this part :\

2. Is it possible to achieve all achievements eventually? or are there some where youre too late to finish, maybe some events back in 2012 or somthing familiar?

3. And i know this will create a kitty fight so i wont ask which is number 1, but top5 DPS classes in the end game?

4. Which server is most populated, with most english players?

I just dont enjoy seeing mixed languages all over the general chat.

How would the ping turn out if i started on NA servers, when i live in europe (sweden) with 100mbit DSL?

(will also be looking for a active guild with great community!)

Thats it for now,

Appreciate it!

Edited by Arccai

You have access to all the races, BUT at the start not all races are available to each class (in other words, you can create a Twilek Smuggler, but not a Twilek Consular). When you bring any toon to L50, his or her race unlocks for everyone at creation - this is your L50 reward (now you can create a Twilek of any class). Or you purchase the unlock for cc or from the GTN.

EDIT: Oh, and Cathar is an exception, as it is a later introduction and has to always be purchased/unlocked, but then it is good for your entire Account.

I have no answers to the other questions. I do play in a EU server from NA with my friends, and it lags far more. I don't think there is any server with an exclusively English chat.

Edited by DomiSotto

1. Until you get a certain race to level 50 or buy the unlock using in-game credits or real money Cartel Coins, each race is restricted to certain classes. This is stated here in the manual: http://www.swtor.com/gamemanual/getting-started/species-selection . There is a chart of which species can go with what classes here: http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Species . Getting that species to level 50 or buying unlocks will allow you to use that species on all classes and unlocks all non Cartel Market customization options for that species.
  2. You can achieve all achievements besides the armor ones. Certain armors were only available during certain one-time events.
  3. All classes are close to each other in DPS in the end game. The "Top 5" right now could be the bottom 5 in a few months. (See Focus Sentinels / Rage Marauders, Snipers / Gunslingers, ect. For the opposite effect, see Vengeance Juggs / Vigilence Guardians, Madness Assassins / Balance Shadows, ect.)
  4. All NA servers are about equally populated. The EU servers are less populated, but all the servers have about the same population. Not sure what your ping will be like: you can try to play a character to level 10 on an East Coast NA server and see.

Edited by Bstr

I just dont enjoy seeing mixed languages all over the general chat.

I Play on Red Eclipse PvE English server and rarely see non English text - mostly its just on the fleet with specific langauge guilds spamming recruitment messages

Most achievements were designed in having a lot of alts in mind. You can always grind them out on just 1 character, seems to go a lot faster when you just leveling a few alts up though. I never tried to do the starting planet ones, I just made enough alts that I ended up getting them all completed lol

http://www.torstatus.net/ can give you a semi good idea of what servers are more populated. To bad it doesn't tell you if that is more empire or republic heavy.

Edited by Hoshkar

Thanks alot for the answers :]

I think im gonna go for a Gunslinger - Miraluka

Gonna have to purchase that tho, its worth the blindfold look :]

One question tho, is there any gallery of armor sets? Is it possible to have a hood as a Gunslinger?

Im trying to find pictures, but all i can see are cowboy hats >.>

Are there some kind of remodeling in this game? Like transmog from world of warcraft?

Or costumes with no stats?

This is a bounty hunter Lv1, what is he exactly wearing in this picture? :o

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/swtor-revan-armor-set.jpg

Or costumes with no stats?

Moddable gear, yes. There's a lot of it, from different sources. Flashpoints, vendors, reputation factions, the Cartel Market...

This is a bounty hunter Lv1, what is he exactly wearing in this picture? :o

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/swtor-revan-armor-set.jpg

Darth Revan's set. One of those moddable ones. (and an incredibly expensive one, since it came from packs that are no longer readily available)

Edited by Callaron

I think im gonna go for a Gunslinger - Miraluka

Gonna have to purchase that tho, its worth the blindfold look :]

One question tho, is there any gallery of armor sets? Is it possible to have a hood as a Gunslinger?

Im trying to find pictures, but all i can see are cowboy hats >.>

It's probably worth buying outright since it's your first character and all, but you can also buy those species unlocks (and every other Cartel Market item) from the in-game GTN (Auction House), where other players sell it for in-game money.

And it's entirely possible to wear Jedi/Sith armor as a Gunslinger if you want a hood. (as long as it's a moddable set that scales to your class, which most of them do these days)

As for that gallery... here you go! http://tor-fashion.com/

Edited by Callaron

Robes (chest slot) tend to be what give you a hood appearance (you may need to turn off helm to see). There is a new one from the recent cartel pack, called Agile Reconnaissance (LINK), really cool looking chest, with a hood. Using it on my sniper myself, love that set :D

Well i dont have any money in the game since i havent started my character yet :p

So my only choice is to unlock this from Cartel Market.

But im having doubts about it now tho, from the look of the Customized Sets on TOR Fashion, im not even sure ill hide my helmet at all, and therefore the blindfold would be pointless anyways :p

Damn theres some really good looking helmets, more like masks.

Btw, the stateless modable ones (from cartel market) that you only using to merge into ur real gear just for the look, are those pieces consumable? or do they stay in ur inventory so you can keep merging with newer gear that ull find?

Edited by Arccai

Well i dont have any money in the game since i havent started my character yet :p

Thanks alot for all the answers, i think im all ready to begin :]

Hehe yeah, that's what I figured. But it'll be worth it to get the look that you want. :p

Have fun! And welcome!

I Play on Red Eclipse PvE English server and rarely see non English text - mostly its just on the fleet with specific langauge guilds spamming recruitment messages

I play on Red Eclipse too and see loads of foreign text almost every day, and loads more with angry people yelling at them to speak English.

Thanks alot for all the answers, i think im all ready to begin :]

Crew skills, scavenging, slicing, underworld trade, bioanalsys, can make you some decent money, depending on your server's needs / grade of items.

If you have a lot of cartel coins, find out what items sell for a good price, buy the item, wait 36 hours for the item to unlock, then sell. Fastest way to make credits. You can also buy cartel packs, and gamble at the chance to get a million+ credit item out of them (good luck lol).

Btw, the stateless modable ones (from cartel market) that you only using to merge into ur real gear just for the look, are those pieces consumable? or do they stay in ur inventory so you can keep merging with newer gear that ull find?

All moddable gear either acquired in-game or through the GTN (Auction house) or Cartel Market are permanent armors that you can keep for as long as you like. I wear some modifiable gear as a level 55 that I got at level 10. To increase their stats while leveling, you can modify the armor. There is a tutorial at level 9ish that teaches you how to do this with your first modifiable weapon. The best way to get mods is to get Planetary Commendations as loot and as mission rewards and spend them on the fleet in the "Supplies" section. (There are also vendors on the planets, but those have a limited variety of mods and are more difficult to find.)

Someone recently asked a similar question about custom gear and modding here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=750867

Edited by Bstr

Alrighty, just bought Exterminator's set & Eradicator's Mask, also a mount :]

Got some more question tho, these empty shells can be used to remodel with? How tho?

And second option, could i also use them and add crystals to it?

But i think id rather just keep the look from them and uses regular equipments behind it, especially the end-gear, how far have they come with the gear in this game? Tier 14?

Got some more question tho, these empty shells can be used to remodel with? How tho?

And second option, could i also use them and add crystals to it?

But i think id rather just keep the look from them and uses regular equipments behind it, especially the end-gear, how far have they come with the gear in this game? Tier 14?

You can't change the look of the empty shells, except for the colors of them. You can use Dye Modules to change the armor colors, and crystals to change the colors of weapon effects, like Lightsaber color and blaster bolt color. A suggestion is to just dye the chest piece, then use "Unify Colors" to have the colors apply to all pieces of armor.

What I mentioned before was to change the stats of the armor. You can't really adjust the stats until level 10 after you get your first modifiable weapon for free from a class quest. There is a tutorial that will explain how you can change the stats of these empty shells (as I explained earlier.)

You can only add crystals to Main hand weapons and Offhand items. They change the color of the Lightsaber or blaster bolt and occasionally change the color of other items on the weapon.

End game gear is retired after a while in this game. Currently, there are 4 tiers of level 50 PvE gear, 4 tiers and 2 half tiers of level 53/55 PvE gear, and 2 tiers of PvP gear available:

Level 50:

Tier 0: Level 49 items from the Corellia Vendor.

Tier 1: "Rakata" mods from the Makeb Vendor. (Called "Rakata" since they are the same strength as this retired tier of gear.)

Tier 2: Black Hole / Campaign Gear. Campaign gear is found from the Classic Vendor; Black Hole is acquired through loot drops.

Tier 3: Hazmat / Dread Guard: Tokens used at the Classic Vendors come from level 50 Operations.

Level 53/55:

PvE: See http://dulfy.net/2013/04/14/swtor-level-55-endgame-gearing-guide/ . Kell Dragon / Shadowed and Dread Master / Dread Touched gear are half tiers that come from Nightmare Mode Operations.

PvP:

Tier 1: Obroan: Regular Warzone Commendations

Tier 2: Brutalizer: Ranked Warzone Commendations

What i meant was to remodel the gear, (not the empty shells)

Its not possible to take the skin from the empty (orange) item and apply that to your main gear?

Thats what i meant by saying merge it together, just like any outfit item in most MMORPGS, transmog in world of warcraft etc.

I guess i was wrong then, i really though that was possible since its stateless, a skin item sort of.

But how will these orange gear be equal to the real lv55 gear?

And arent those 55 gears also open for mods, which means ud get the original stats from the armor + the mod stats(crystals)?

Edited by Arccai

What i meant was to remodel the gear, (not the empty shells)

Its not possible to take the skin from the empty (orange) item and apply that to your main gear?

Thats what i meant by saying merge it together, just like any outfit item in most MMORPGS, transmog in world of warcraft etc.

You can take the mods out of your main gear and apply them to the empty shells to use the stats of your main gear with the looks of the once empty shells.

Example: My Mercenary has almost a total set of Verpine endgame gear. I like the look of the Blue Scalene Armor on him: http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/swtor-blue-scalene-armor-gree.jpg Example of the Chestpiece and how it has 3 mod slots that make up its stats: http://www.torhead.com/item/eNapbrH/blue-scalene-chestguard. I take the mods out of the Verpine gear and put them into the Blue Scalene Armor. I then wear the Blue Scalene Armor and have the same exact stats as if I was wearing the Verpine gear.

This is the primary way of getting new gear: you get mods that you can insert into the gear that gives it its stats.

Go through the Mod tutorial and all of this should be explained step by step. Also, play around with Mr. Robot's character builder. Here is an example of a character that has modified armor: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/0c243325-ed9f-4285-a742-7d1889da45e7

Setup similar to how my Merc is set up currently: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/3c2669ad-b25b-48af-9b97-9ebb1e127f6c

Edited by Bstr

Ahhh!! now i get it, thanks alot! :] That makes sense =)

Hmm but that brings up another question, dosent that mean that everyone rolls on all kinds of gear, like a medium armor user needs on heavy? just to get the mods out from it, to add to his medium?

Edited by Arccai

Hmm but that brings up another question, dosent that mean that everyone rolls on all kinds of gear, like a medium armor user needs on heavy? just to get the mods out from it, to add to his medium?

I have seen multiple Warriors / Knights do what you state: Need on Medium / Heavy armor that has the strength stat. It is OK if you check with the group first: those that use that weight of armor have first dibs.

For other Primary Stats, they only come on one type of armor: Aim on Heavy, Cunning on Medium, and Willpower on Light. Needing on something that is not your Primary Stat is prohibited by the player base in 99.9% of situations.

Also, shells that are not "Adaptive" shells will affect the amount of armor you receive. For example, someone with 100 armor rating on an armoring in a light armor will have less armor than those with a 100 armor rating in a heavy armor. So wear the heaviest armor shells that you can. (Adaptive armor will adjust to the heaviest you can wear.)

One thing about "need" rolls: among my guild and among many other players it's considered normal to only roll "need" if the item you want is an immediate upgrade, not roll "need" on all "your stat" items blindly. For example, if you are a Mara who has pants with level 19 str mods, and a medium chest with level 25 str mods drops, it's yours by right - you need the mods. But if you already have level 29 mods everywhere, a level 25 chest won't do anything for you, so "greeding" it is the natural choice, especially if there's another Mara/Jugg in the group who's level 25 and needs this more.

(There's an exception, though: people need on items that are a bit worse than their current ones, IF these have a set bonus - that's for levels 50 and 55).

I might aswell keep using my old thread,

I've noticed that the mods you purchase with commendations has higher endurance than the main stat,

But checking the Lv31 set filled with 80 purple mods showing it seems to be more equal, 44/40/29 power etc,

So theres different mods? with less endurance and more main stat, and vise versa? in that case, where are those obtainable from? :o

I might aswell keep using my old thread,

I've noticed that the mods you purchase with commendations has higher endurance than the main stat,

But checking the Lv31 set filled with 80 purple mods showing it seems to be more equal, 44/40/29 power etc,

So theres different mods? with less endurance and more main stat, and vise versa? in that case, where are those obtainable from? :o

What are known as "lettered mods" (mods with an A or B at the end), are typically less optimized than "unlettered" varieties. The unlettered varieties are usually only available from orange gear pieces with the item modification in then. These items are usually available running flashpoints and planetary heroic quests (gives players a reason to continue running content).

Hm i see, so the other pieces from commendation mod vendor are same, its only the ones with either A/B at the end thats less good?

Is it only a specific one that has this? Enchantment? Mod? Armoring?

But how can only one piece make such change? My blues 19 that gives same to all pieces are (somthing like 26/19/10)

And the purple 80 sets from cash store has same total stats on just 4 gear pieces out of 6, the other 2 are different, and yet its still 80 purple mods, like the others. So those gotta have different 80 purple mods then yea? (I hate that i cant check the mods in them without buying) would clear it all out ;/

You really don't need the purple set from the cash store(Cartel Market). Before level 50 there's no real difference between commendation blues and expensive purples, so save your money, and just do your daily/weekly flashpoint runs whenever you need new armorings(every 4-6 levels) and mods and enhancements(every 8-10 levels).

After you hit level 55 and start grinding for ultimate commendations, there will be time to find out about gear optimization and various secondary stats, but I don't think getting into these details is important for levelling gear.

Edited by Kulyok