Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

dprijadi
04.11.2012 , 07:04 AM | #21
the only thing i always noticed on Star Wars ships especially the triangular designs.. their skin / armour seem THICK.. enough to ram any ships..

feels different , really feels like a warships compared to other Sci-fi like star trek where the ships looks like a floating hotel/yahtc

BlueSouthPike
04.11.2012 , 09:09 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cylux View Post
I don't suppose anyone's bothered to look at the republic's symbol during episodes 1-3 yet? Looks suspiciously like the imperial crest. Clues for what happens in this war perhaps?
I think that you're on to something here. Think about it. What if, some time after TOR takes place, the Sith Empire is weakened enough that it opts to just capitulate and merge into the Republic. Give a few thousand years for cultural exchange and cultural melding, and the Republic begins to adopt some symbols of the old Sith Empire, including adopting it's naval tradition (the ship designs), it's insignias (the Imperial/Republic Crest), and titles (the title of "Moff" ets.).

If you look at the symbol of the Jedi Order used on the Clone Wars TV show, it's nearly identical to the insignia that the Republic uses in the TOR era; while if you look at the symbol used by the Republic government, it's very reminicent of the TOR era's Imperial Crest. Thus, we can draw the conclusion that, at some point in time after TOR, the Republic began to adopt Imperial iconography, while the Jedi absorbed the symbols of the "Old" (relatively speaking) Republic.

Or, maybe I am over-thinking things quite a bit....

Temeluchus
04.11.2012 , 09:26 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluerodian View Post
Is there even a Kuat Drive Yards (Builders of Imperial Star Destroyers in the OT era) at this point? o_O
Yup.

Kuat Drive Yards Missile Magazine
Binds on Equip
Missile Launcher
Total Stats:
Armor Rating 122
+7 Ship Armor
+6 Ship Missiles Count
Requires Level 49
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Darth_Solrac
04.11.2012 , 10:14 AM | #24
Sith Empire destroyer class cruisers (Star Destroyers) totally dwarf those funny looking Republic Corellian class.

Looks pretty clear they're better armed, & armored.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Jandi
04.11.2012 , 10:16 AM | #25
The current republic and empire will merge at some point. The Imperial ship design is far superior to the republics, it's only natural that when they merge, they will choose the better ship design. Once the rebellion kicks into gear in the OT, the ships are refitted support vessels and other, non-military grade vessels. Once the Mon Cal join in with their capital ships, only then does the Rebellion even have military grade capital ships. The B-wings are clone wars era ships, the X-wing a new prototype that was designed to be a hybrid and stolen by the rebellion.

The Republic capital ships, the big round ones, are fleet support ships. The Empire ones are designed for maximum firepower.

KidRaid
04.11.2012 , 10:55 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Nireves View Post
I definitely am over thinking haha, but my problem is that this puts Bioware's rendering of the star wars universe more on the side of what they think popular culture thinks a star wars game should be and less on the side of a true star wars universe.
Mmm.. well... Yes.

And I think that it is on purpose. They want to appeal to the Idea of Star Wars. Most poeples have in their mind empire = evil = tiangular ships.

3000 years is a Loooonng time. If they had wanted to make this make any sense then the ships would not look at all similar to the ones that are seen in episode IV V VI.

This is unless there is a true tactical or partical reasons for the shapes of the ships. For example air craft carriers all look basically the same since WWII no matter who's they are or when they were build. Some are bigger but the shape is basically the same. That is because there are only so many ways to build a functionnal carrier. However if that was the eason then both sides would have the same ships shapes.

So I just shrig and ignore the anachronisms.

DeaconDC
04.11.2012 , 01:02 PM | #27
The current Imperial faction has 2 components: Sith and Imperial military. The prevailing wisdom is that after the defeat of the Sith, a large part of the former Imperial forces will merge into the Republic. Over time, the "new" Galactic Republic will take on more of the trappings of the efficiency seen in the Imperial fleet... I find it fun to see the TOR republic insignia has the origin of the (now known to be renaissance) of the New Republic ABY era.

Fyurii
04.11.2012 , 11:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Larsjex View Post
It's possible that master Sifo Dyas (the one who ordered the clone army built and, btw, also later was "fused" biologically to create General Grievous)
Stop right there.
Greivous was not made from Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas' body.

To preserve his remaining organic components, Sifo-Dyas' blood was used. Nothing else.
He wasn't "fused" biologically. His blood was used to keep the remains of the Kaleesh Qymaen jai Sheelal aka Greivous alive.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Nikato
04.11.2012 , 11:33 PM | #29
Honestly Bioware screwed up the whole Imperial ships idea and its one thing that i really dislike the company for.

George Originally termed the giant wedge shaped ships Star Destroyers. They were unique to the Empire created by and for the empire. Originally (if i recall from early books and behind the scene stuff), this was the stuff for the EMPIRE. The rebel ships were mostly just random junk ships changed into combat roles.

Even in Episodes 1-3, the "Republic" (which becomes the empire) used a similar design of the star destroyer (again created by the current government), but the fighters and transport ships are COMPLETELY different from the empire's versions.

Yet here comes Bioware. They make a great game in KOTOR but then they go and say "lol no the wedge shape came from dudes super duper old!". I mean come on. At least these ships weren't EXACTLY like the galatic empire ships, though the fighters are pushing it.

Then we got SWTOR. When I watched the deceived trailer I did a double take. The fighters, the imperial ships, hell even the guards look nearly identical to the empire run by palpatine!! I mean what the heck?! Where is the imagination? We should see a steady evolution of vehicles but we don't. I mean who considers the ISF (the sith starfighter interceptors to be worse then TIE fighters?).

I love bioware but I am sorry, they did a poor job with the vehicles and armor. You have what...nearly 4k years between the story lines and you have hardly any change in that gap, but between the few hundred or what ever years between KOTOR and SWTOR, hell even Phantom Menance to ROTJ you have huge technological advances.

Just seems like they could have done stuff better.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Mantus View Post
This. Except Revan never laughs.

Hoth was a tropical paradise once, that is until Revan gave the barest of chuckles on it's surface. His ice-charged chortle wiped all but the hardiest life from it's surface.

Koiishi
04.11.2012 , 11:41 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Nireves View Post
But the ships that the Emperor has were the ships of the Republic left over from or built as a result of the clone wars.

Does that mean that the Jedi that commissioned the clone army and had those tall aliens build the fleet was a Sith?

And what did the Rebels do, dig up 3000 year old ships or build exact copies of 3000 year old ships
Simply put yes. It was mentioned that it was sifo dias that commisioned the army but it was actually palpatine who commisioned them