Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

Soazak's Avatar


Soazak
02.03.2012 , 11:48 AM | #381
In good versus evil, the evil side are...evil.

In other news, grass is green.
Legions of Lettow (EU PvP)

Sorc, Marauder
Guardian, Scoundrel

Sunstarr's Avatar


Sunstarr
02.03.2012 , 12:06 PM | #382
Quote: Originally Posted by TooTall_Jedi View Post
Hi!

I'd like to thank shampoo for his wonderful post. I myself am proof that he is 100% correct.

I am 16 years old and played a sith warrior for a few days. After I was forced to repeatedly sexually abuse and cause harm to my female companion in game, I realized that this is the exact way I am supposed to treat all females in real life. As we all know, games are exact representations of all things in real life.

Since then, I went out and put a shock collar on the first woman I saw and repeatedly pressed the shock button. I'm so glad SWTOR taught me that I should be aroused by this, or else I'd have possibly had some sort of moral opposition to electrocuting another person.

I don't know why, but someone called the police on me. It was confusing to me why the cop didn't understand when I told him "it's ok, because they do this in star wars."

/sigh

If only the ESRB had labeled this game as mature, I obviously would have never even played it then. Now my life is ruined. I have no idea how to make any moral decisions in life, and everyone thinks I'm evil. I guess on the bright side, maybe someone will come end my miserable existance with a laser blaster. I know a lot of people tried to kill me with those as I was playing my sith.

Beware this game, it will end the world as we know it!
There will be a substantial reward for anyone finding this perpetrator. You are free to use any methods nessesary, but I want him alive.

NO DESINTEGRATIONS.

sfthirteen's Avatar


sfthirteen
02.03.2012 , 01:06 PM | #383
I never encountered any "sexual violence" or anything of the sort towards Vette at all. In fact, I wasn't given the option to flirt with her until my class quest on Tatooine. I didn't just "give her gifts until she married me", I leveled up her affection through conversation choices, mostly bilking people for credits. I don't know what game you played, but I was able to actually treat Vette with respect and still reach Dark V. And I never even shocked her but one time. I took the collar off the moment she asked me to.

As was said, you're a Sith. You're supposed to be pure evil.
Helm of Graush - Urukor - Sith Marauder - Annihilation

tehjai's Avatar


tehjai
02.03.2012 , 01:30 PM | #384
Quick question -- is the OP a man? Because if they are, that brings the whole 'gender equality' argument to a screeching halt, because here we have a man telling us women what is and isn't appropriate for us. That's white-knighting for us Poor Oppressed Women Who Need A Man To Tell Us What's What, and that's sexist at best and misogynistic at worst.

So stick that in your gender equality pipe and smoke it.

Even if the OP was a woman, the arguments still fall flat, because there's really no sexual overtone in the treatment of Vette. Also, as another poster said, I like how Quinn is not brought up at all by the OP, but remember that Abuse is Okay When It's Female on Male, as though it "doesn't count".

The fact of the matter is that these things are put in the game specifically to address the fact that it actually *is* okay in the Empire. If we as players are made to feel uncomfortable by it, then the writing and design has done its job. But our characters, by design, by the fact that this is their world, do not necessarily have to feel the same way. The treatment of Vette (and Quinn) is not a heinous crime in this universe. Bioware would ruin it by making it any other way.

But I think in the end we all have to realize that we are not our characters, and if the OP can't make that dissociation, they should probably cease playing a story-based MMORPG, or go over to the Republic side (which isn't really all sunshine and rainbows, but it certainly isn't the Power Uber Alles vibe of the Empire).
The Oboa Legacy - Playing Pretend on The Ebon Hawk

Tiona, 60 Mercenary || Perkele, 60 Sorcerer || Hanneke, 60 Mercenary || Rachilde, 60 Gunslinger || Roche, 60 Scoundrel || Tio'na, 60 Sniper || Maz'ahid'erinth, 60 Operative

sfthirteen's Avatar


sfthirteen
02.03.2012 , 01:44 PM | #385
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkiii View Post
I am an art major who has worked in the Advertising/Graphic Design industry as an Art Director for one of the largest advertising firms in the United States (for the past 25 years) ... video games are not art and will never be deemed "art." They're entertainment.

Video games, such as this one, are based on Science Fiction or Fantasy. It isn't real. To put a real world spin on it is a farce.

Blowing up an entire planet of people with a huge lazer in a movie didn't have you making posts about the immorality of murder, did it? So why do it here?

Relax, it's not real. If you think it's too offensive, LEAVE.
Storytelling, drawing/painting/illustrating of any sort, music. You would agree these are all art forms yes?

Video games utilize all three of these. How you can say they aren't art is baffling.
Helm of Graush - Urukor - Sith Marauder - Annihilation

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
02.03.2012 , 02:18 PM | #386
First thing I have to say: I disagree with the OP.

Still, there is at least one case of sexual abuse in game (Not by the player's character himself). On Alderaan the Sith Warrior can deliver Lady Renata to Duke Kendoh. And between the lines it is very clear that he wants more then just "question her".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zg8Wgznz9c (you can start at 04:20)


Also, before you get Vette you see the prison keeper shocking her just for fun. When I saw this I thougt: '(If male guards can do with female prisoners whatever they want just for fun, then) sexual abuse must be very common in imperial prisons.'
Yes, this is not directly from the game and I don't think Bioware wanted me to think this. But if the Empire were real, it would definitly be a footnote in their list of crimes.


I think it is good, that the Empire is shown as evil. It is good that their crimes are made clear in game. Everyone who plays Empire should say at the end of the day: I know that I won't like to live there if I could chose.

So if this is not clear enough, then the game has a little flaw here. but I think it is pretty clear.


The Sith Warrior can't abuse Vette. He also can't force her into the form of relationship he likes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQR8zqGeyE
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Mechavomit's Avatar


Mechavomit
02.03.2012 , 02:28 PM | #387
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Also, before you get Vette you see the prison keeper shocking her just for fun. When I saw this I thougt: '(If male guards can do with female prisoners whatever they want just for fun, then) sexual abuse must be very common in imperial prisons.'
Yes, this is not directly from the game and I don't think Bioware wanted me to think this. But if the Empire were real, it would definitly be a footnote in their list of crimes.
But it's not only in the Empire. You think republic is full of saints?
Star Wars is just portrayed very child-friendly, but in reality, it's a crapsack world.

Back on topic, about how having a female slave is sexist, people seem to ignore that there are PLENTY of male slaves too. More than enough for every female SW out there.

fanuvstarwars's Avatar


fanuvstarwars
02.03.2012 , 02:40 PM | #388
There are a lot more baddier baddies in real life than in SWTOR
"What are Sith 'light side points'? A quick death."

Rouge's Avatar


Rouge
02.03.2012 , 02:52 PM | #389
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Also, before you get Vette you see the prison keeper shocking her just for fun. When I saw this I thougt: '(If male guards can do with female prisoners whatever they want just for fun, then) sexual abuse must be very common in imperial prisons.'
Yes, this is not directly from the game and I don't think Bioware wanted me to think this. But if the Empire were real, it would definitly be a footnote in their list of crimes.
Just look at Mako's biography to see what BW hints to when it comes to childcare under Hutt rule. Horrible, but also very believable in the context of their reign and culture. The shadows in SW are really deep if you bother to really look at them.
Think of this: If you will play a Jedi or a Sith, now you will never get to take your apprentice to fight with you in flashpoints, warzones or raids. You will never face together any of the big end-game bosses.

AJMTL's Avatar


AJMTL
02.03.2012 , 02:59 PM | #390
Quote: Originally Posted by tehjai View Post
Quick question -- is the OP a man? Because if they are, that brings the whole 'gender equality' argument to a screeching halt, because here we have a man telling us women what is and isn't appropriate for us. That's white-knighting for us Poor Oppressed Women Who Need A Man To Tell Us What's What, and that's sexist at best and misogynistic at worst.

So stick that in your gender equality pipe and smoke it.

Even if the OP was a woman, the arguments still fall flat, because there's really no sexual overtone in the treatment of Vette. Also, as another poster said, I like how Quinn is not brought up at all by the OP, but remember that Abuse is Okay When It's Female on Male, as though it "doesn't count".

The fact of the matter is that these things are put in the game specifically to address the fact that it actually *is* okay in the Empire. If we as players are made to feel uncomfortable by it, then the writing and design has done its job. But our characters, by design, by the fact that this is their world, do not necessarily have to feel the same way. The treatment of Vette (and Quinn) is not a heinous crime in this universe. Bioware would ruin it by making it any other way.

But I think in the end we all have to realize that we are not our characters, and if the OP can't make that dissociation, they should probably cease playing a story-based MMORPG, or go over to the Republic side (which isn't really all sunshine and rainbows, but it certainly isn't the Power Uber Alles vibe of the Empire).
I love you.