PvP Healing Must be Fixed

Izariel

Playing a healing Sage at mid 20's, I think healing is just fine. The PvP I've done so far is usually in a premade group, granted, but the healing is still enough to keep the group going long enough to either break and destroy the opponent, or halt and fall back to recuperate a bit and hold our own.

Like others have said before, you need to spec into the healing tree to get any effect out of it, and spec smart aswell. What skills interacts with what else, and how do they synergize? Sage/Sorcerer has the shield, and a bit up in the healing tree you can completely remove the cooldown (bar the GCD, ofcourse). Shield is way underestimated aswell. Pre-shielding and pre-HoTing is just as important as in all PvP, but I rarely see other Rep healers do it on ToFN.

Meh, ramblings aside, healing is just fine as it is. Spend some time on stats and specs instead of on the forums, is my suggestion.

"Big cooldowns" - BIG is your opinion, CC's are on 1min cooldowns, that isn't BIG.

Making healers more effective wouldn't create stalemates b/c it isn''t a buff to the level in which you are referencing your position from ( that being your experience in wow). Making healing more effective would in fact bring it into line with damage and tanks in ability to effectively contribute to the match.

I could go on but your rant about some unbelievably hard concept of chaining CC together to burst down through the big bad healing monsters is obviously biased. Look at the system objectively and not through your anger of not being able to compete against healers. You can beat healers, you just have to be smart.

I know you have some agnst towards healers but the fact is people like to heal and its a portion of the player base that needs to be given some attention to. No ones screaming for healers to be invincible gods, just have the potential to contribute and be competitive, not useless.

Ripping someone for voicing "opinion" and then arguing your own opinion as fact kind of makes you look silly

I preffer the current gameplay so much over what you are aiming for. They did that in wow and healing created stalemates and hour long arena matches, healers in this game in warzones have a more versatile role, being able to deal damage and do SOME healing. You can't tell me that you would preffer a more stalemate situation in all warzones leading to far more 0-0' situations in huttball for example because the fight doesn't really go anywhere.

Furthermore and most important, this game has no hard 8 second cc's, all CC is on big cooldowns and are more to peel and to time well rather than trying to chain extremely long cc chains to kill someone through OP healing. Trust me its quite allright like this if you compare it to games where healing is OP. And it just wouldn't fit this game, with a lack of reliable constant cc to counter healers.

You're acting like there are only two choices and any change will make it a copy of wow.

That being said, i'm going to wait till 50 to judge.

Edited by Dystopic

I played a healer in great many mmos, mainly pvp. and I do infact find healing to be quite awesome in this game

you do have long cast times here, but use them early on when a player is on 95% seing the great awesome heal cost basicly the same as the small one just aim to get that off 80% of the time.

also when im healing and I encounter somekind of gun wielding maniac, I can most of the time hold my own. and kill them also, which is a big relief I am sick of tired of playing games. The second you are alone, you are basicly worthless as a healer.

few smugglers got me with there opener and stuns, but thats it.

also I am not level 50 yet, that might be why it does not work.

Buttomline, don't change it so it goes. Frost strike 75k frost strike 75k you died.

also both a slow knockback and ranged stun, is awesome I use them all the time

Healing here is just different than in WoW.

In WoW it was 1 heal and bang you healed your teammate back to 100% health. And at the same time, one hit could pretty much kill an enemy.

Heals do less in TOR, but thats because there is less damage as well and people survive longer. So your heals are doing fine if they dont heal your teammate back to full health instantly.

Edited by Raul

Soo... your complaining that pre 50, your small heal isnt worth it in comparison to your big heal....

._.

no comment

No, I'm really not. I said absolutely nothing of the kind!

My small heal grants a buff that allows my big heal's activation to be reduced by a second. Before trying to be a know-it-all please try to gain a little knowledge.

I played a healer in great many mmos, mainly pvp. and I do infact find healing to be quite awesome in this game

you do have long cast times here, but use them early on when a player is on 95% seing the great awesome heal cost basicly the same as the small one just aim to get that off 80% of the time.

also when im healing and I encounter somekind of gun wielding maniac, I can most of the time hold my own. and kill them also, which is a big relief I am sick of tired of playing games. The second you are alone, you are basicly worthless as a healer.

few smugglers got me with there opener and stuns, but thats it.

also I am not level 50 yet, that might be why it does not work.

Buttomline, don't change it so it goes. Frost strike 75k frost strike 75k you died.

also both a slow knockback and ranged stun, is awesome I use them all the time

I'm really encountering the opposite. As a support class I don't expect to be awesome 1v1, but I'm finding that my healing can't even begin to compete with the DPS of a smuggler or trooper. My best response is to stun them and run towards friendlies.

I suppose part of the problem is rolling in random battlezones. Once our guild is up and running I would expect them to keep the heat off me whilst I heal.

I really don't think standing still whilst healing is a good idea though. PvP is so fast paced that the isolated spot you choose to stand and heal is likely to be in the thick of it by the time you finish your ability activation.

Obviously there's a clash of opinion atm, but I would love them to abolish the activation time and instead bring in an extended cooldown for the heals. That way perhaps we could try to avoid more agro.

BTW, when we're on the topic of heal classes, does anybody have the stats of the static barrier? How much damage does it mitigate? I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Thanks.

"Big cooldowns" - BIG is your opinion, CC's are on 1min cooldowns, that isn't BIG.

Making healers more effective wouldn't create stalemates b/c it isn''t a buff to the level in which you are referencing your position from ( that being your experience in wow). Making healing more effective would in fact bring it into line with damage and tanks in ability to effectively contribute to the match.

I could go on but your rant about some unbelievably hard concept of chaining CC together to burst down through the big bad healing monsters is obviously biased. Look at the system objectively and not through your anger of not being able to compete against healers. You can beat healers, you just have to be smart.

I know you have some agnst towards healers but the fact is people like to heal and its a portion of the player base that needs to be given some attention to. No ones screaming for healers to be invincible gods, just have the potential to contribute and be competitive, not useless.

You bash him on his use of his "opinion" over the facts he supposedly failed to present but to me your entire response sounds like a hate filled opinion in its own nature. Healing can be extremely overpowered in PvP and he had a valid point in stating that. Whether or not its factual to compare this games PvP to other MMO's such as WoW may not be 100% viable but how else do we state a point without something to base it on. The original poster had facts to present and as much as he has his own point I agree with the guy your hating on. If healers are given as much a buff as they have been in WoW it would be exactly as he stated I to be: stalemates and long as endless games full of frustration and rage. Where is the fun in that. Let BW give healers a little better usefullness there's nothing wrong with that but don't make them better than everything else

I know there have been numerous threads on this. But in order for BW to get the point, we have to keep reminding them.

PVP Healing is broken, especially for the consular.

1. Cast times are too long, Interruptions too frequent, and heals too small to be of hardly any use in pvp. Ill try to heal on my sage- after the interminable wait, if it actually goes off- it heals for 1500 out of 12500... Its just rediculous.

2. Long cast times are the death knell of any class in pvp because it reduces their effectiveness in pvp by about 50%. Most of the time in casting rather than having an ability go off. Other classes have instant heals- consulars dont (without deep speccing).

Giving the length of casting, the incredible frequency of interrupts and the difficulties of a buggy UI, LOS issues, lag, and miniscule healing amounts- healing is just not worth it in pvp.

FIX HEALING IN PVP BIOWARE

I felt the same way for many of your concerns in beta. In the last few days of playing early access i've come to realise that healing is NOT broken. And here is why...

1. Cast times/interrupts and heal amounts are all fixed by going deep into your healing spec. It sounds to me you are likely between level 10-20 or are actually spec'd primarily dps thinking you should be able to spam heal yourself while being hit (assumption, albiet a highly likely assumption).

2. Cast times are an adjustment, true. But from what I understand, the intention is to promote TEAM play. Instant cast heals are not necassary if you work together. Let your team know in advance you are a healer, ask a tank to guard you and taunt your attackers (80% total damage reduction from both guard/taunt on you)

Interrupts are fixable, spec into your healing tree and that will be fixed. - Foresight - Tier 2 Seer talent.

Heal amount, healing amount is fair in my opinion if you work as a TEAM (<---There it is again) Why should you be able to heal through a focus fire of 2-3 people? Why is the standard that burst healing should be > burst dps? Adapt to a changing environment.

Instant cast heal, I haven't played a consular, but I know they are the mirror of the SI so i'd assume (could be mistaken) that you get an instant cast bubble correct? So you can pre-emptively stop damage at lower levels where as classes such as the IA can not and have to adjust to the damage after it has already happened.

As for a buggy UI, I have had no issues with the UI for healing, or guard swapping. Same goes for LoS...I have found no issues at this time with LoS.

Lag, hrm...this is a difficult one, I can say my wife and I have personally never experienced any notable lag in SWTOR during BETA or during early access. Nothing out of the ordinary for any other MMO we've played anyways. But i've heard people complain about it so I won't say it doesn't happen.

I agree that healing is largely useless in PvP. Healing is reactive, so in order for it to be a factor, it has to be greater than damage, and currently it seems to be much less than damage. My sorceror can simply grind down a healer by spamming force lightning with no real need to CC, stack DoTs, team up, etc. Even a single interrupt is game over.

I'm only level 21 though and most of the people I'm playing against are also in their late teens and early 20s, so I'm sure we're all missing some key talents and abilities. I'd rather wait til 50 before I draw too many strong conclusions.

Even if healers really are weak in PvP at 50, I'm not sure that I really want to see it get buffed much though. PvP flows pretty well now, and if healing is just something you do to help the huttball carrier last a little longer or to top some one off between battles, it seems to still have some value, although the concept of a dedicated healer such as a heal specced sage or inquisitor, simply doesn't work.

I've yet to see a game that had a proper balance, where healing was strong enough to matter in the face of CC, pushbacks, interrupts, etc, and yet couldn't become quickly overpowered. I'd rather see the flow of PvP combat remain more or less the way it is in the 20s than have it bog down or become a race to see who can three shot kill some one before the healer gets a healbomb to go from 10% to 100% health.

Edited by Wintermutes

, ask a tank to guard you and taunt your attackers (80% total damage reduction from both guard/taunt on you)[/color]

I'm not sure if its 80% total it really depends how taunt works. If taunt is applied FIRST and THEN guard (not by the player but by the underlying system) then it works:

Guarded player (A)

Guarding player(B)

A normally takes 100% damage, taunt reduces it to 70% damage.

Guard splits 50% damage

50% of 70% = 35%

Player A takes 35% of normal damage

Player B takes the other 35% of normal damage

If it first counts Guard and then TAUNT:

(A) normally takes 100% damage, but Guard splits it to 50% damage

Taunt reduces it by 30%

30% of 50% = 15%, 50-15= 35% of normal damage

Player A takes 35% of normal damage

BUT Player B takes 50% of normal damage

OR it counts taunt and guard seperately both taking the normal value as basis:

A normally takes 100% damage, guard splits it to 50%, 30% reduction = 20% damage for A

50% damage for B

Im curious how it works :p

The only thing I say that needs to be fixed is the UI to give correct health percentages.

qft. This. I have been point and clicking every friendly target to heal them due to health bars not displaying when someone takes damage. They get like stuck and don't update.

I think its true, even though Im not deeply speced, and seeing what deeper talents will give me, I dont see how much of a difference it would be but:

on my Sage I cannot do something as trivial as outheal a TANK OR HEALING speced enemy that is dps'ing me alone.... that hardly seems right, I actually think my juggernaut tank lasts 3 times as much as my consular healing himself in that situation.

I like that tanking is way cooler and viable in pvp in this game, but healing I feel is just too weak, I'm really not going to argue about interupts and cast times, because specing into a healer fixes that fairly well, you have nice instant and hot abilities, but the blunt magnitude of heals are VERY weak, dunno if thats a lower level exclusive problem or not, but in the lvls 10-27 at least it is a problem.

The game and efficient game-play should start with the first 10 levels, not the last 50.

It does start at 10. You are a perfectly viable damage dealer at level 10, with plenty of tools to do so. You aren't a healer just because you spent one skill point in the healing skill tree. This isn't Warcraft, and they aren't using the Specialization bonus system. You aren't a healer until at least level 20 (when you get your first talented heal). In fact, I wouldn't even really say you're a healer until like 30 or so. Before then, you're just a DPS who *has* heals.

qft. This. I have been point and clicking every friendly target to heal them due to health bars not displaying when someone takes damage. They get like stuck and don't update.

YES!

Aside from this issue I think healing in PvP is absolutely fine! (IA Operative here).

My suggestion- Level a bit more, and see how it is once you're fully healing specced and geared. :)