Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

4.0 Vanguard Tank Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles
4.0 Vanguard Tank Guide

sumquy
09.19.2016 , 10:53 AM | #21
this seemed like a pretty good guide to me. i don't agree 100% with everything in it, but none of those issues are critical in nature. the biggest issue i have with it, is that the lack of formatting makes it very difficult to read. you obviously spent some hours working on this, spend 20 minutes using the forum tools to color code section headers and such to give it organization. also, you should be a little less combative to people who comment on it. read what they have to say, comment on why you agree or not, and change the guide or not. what you can't do is put this on the forums and then pretend like it is some safe space that people aren't allowed to criticize. personally, i do not agree with some of the nitpicking complaints, but just telling them to go away isn't going to work.
...how i learned to love the dot and other short stories.

Greezt
09.19.2016 , 11:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by gabigool View Post
My recollection is:
2.75m and closer: +10%
2.76m and further: +30%

Likewise I believe the range to rip threat is identical.

Players 2.75m or closer require an excess of 10% threat to pull
Players 2.76m or further require an excess of 30% threat to pull
As far as I know, melee distance is 4 meters from the center of the boss. Since the distance read out is show from the edge of theboss's circle (and every boss has a differeny sized one) you get a different distance read out for each boss. 2.75 meters is only for a dummy.

Within melee range you get 110%, outside of it you get 130%.

gabigool
09.19.2016 , 11:51 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
As far as I know, melee distance is 4 meters from the center of the boss. Since the distance read out is show from the edge of theboss's circle (and every boss has a differeny sized one) you get a different distance read out for each boss. 2.75 meters is only for a dummy.

Within melee range you get 110%, outside of it you get 130%.
That's interesting and it makes total sense.
Quote: Originally Posted by BenIrving View Post
The harder part to address, because you have to take my word for it, are all the features and content we are working on that we havenít yet announced.... ...and we have started the early design phase for new, non-chapter, content.... ...we have some REALLY cool stuff to talk about later this year and the whole SWTOR team canít wait to announce it.

Torvai
09.19.2016 , 12:01 PM | #24
Actually the other way around. Melee distance is 4m from the edge of the circle, which is what is displayed ingame.
Threat range is from the center of the circle. And in essence, this means that you'r almost always beyond melee range, at least for taunts, due to the size of some bosses

Greezt
09.19.2016 , 12:09 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Torvai View Post
Actually the other way around. Melee distance is 4m from the edge of the circle, which is what is displayed ingame.
Threat range is from the center of the circle. And in essence, this means that you'r almost always beyond melee range, at least for taunts, due to the size of some bosses
Ehh, that makes sense. Thanks for the correction.

Torvai
09.19.2016 , 02:28 PM | #26
Ehh, that makes sense. Thanks for the correction.
Oh and for the record, the "place an aoe per double tab" is also center of the hitbox.

DarthCadius
09.19.2016 , 03:54 PM | #27
So I have glossed over the guide and see things that I can use to improve and others that I am not quite sure I agree with.

My main area is Relics, in the Guide the OP is using DPS relics, I can see the benefit in using them for some DPS tight fights, but I would like to hear from other tanks and the OP... Is this such a good Idea? I have looked at the Tank relics and while therw is benefit to them I wonder if going DPS may be a more preferable alternative
Seething hate, rage ANGER I will harness unlimited power.I live off the sufering of the weak, their pain gives me strength, their agony gives me life and their death feeds the force from which I keep their suffering never-ending.

GhOsTPrOz
09.19.2016 , 04:52 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Torvai View Post
First off, I haven't read your guide.

What I don't get is: You post a guide. Obviously you're aware it isn't perfect. But instead of accepting hints and additions that would make you as a player and your guide even better, you start throwing insults at these people.
You're like those bads in GF that start yelling: "I PLAY HOW I WANT, LEAVE ME ALONE" while spamming force storm a single mob.
I don't get it. I consider myself a pretty good player. Cleared all content with my guild at level. But I still come here to the forums to ask questions if I see something I don't understand. I frequently look up guides. Not because I'm a bad player. But because there's always room to improve. And there are always things you don't know yet.
I get that, and I reasoned with him, and I even took some of his advice and added some things where he was right but this one same guy has gone through and nit picked the tiniest little errors over and over, I address them and he does it again with different stuff, some of the time he's just completely wrong like telling me 3 taunt opener isn't the best opener and it's just like....clearly he's picking a fight to pick a fight, I would love to hear constructive criticism but with him it's become harassment and isn't constructive.

Also for the record I have done almost all NiM content in 4.0 as a vanguard tank.
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

GhOsTPrOz
09.19.2016 , 04:58 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthCadius View Post
So I have glossed over the guide and see things that I can use to improve and others that I am not quite sure I agree with.

My main area is Relics, in the Guide the OP is using DPS relics, I can see the benefit in using them for some DPS tight fights, but I would like to hear from other tanks and the OP... Is this such a good Idea? I have looked at the Tank relics and while therw is benefit to them I wonder if going DPS may be a more preferable alternative
It's really up to you, I explained my stance on relics I prefer the DPS ones but I switch to tank ones on fights like dread guards NiM.

There's math somewhere that shows up all the tank relics get discredited by RNG and crazy math algorithms, I did not include it because I am really not good with math, but the main point is your DTPS won't be affected too much if at all regardless your choice, if you go with DPS relics not only will you do more damage which will equal more threat but you gain a higher health pool which is useful.

Honestly the way things are right now you have the room to play around with the relics and any of the gearing methods I mentioned and if you don't like it you can probably find your own happy medium and still be viable for almost all content. It's kinda sad but as long as you have the proper offhand and your in tank spec you can pretty much do anything with a pair of great healers.
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

UberSamoyed
09.19.2016 , 08:43 PM | #30
Only the cool PT's run the Shrouded Crusader. It's a fashion choice anyways...
Psy-Ops
Uberghost the Revanchist

The Harbinger