Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

springerjkreb
07.14.2015 , 05:14 PM | #21
I'd like to offer ditching the 4 piece in favor of reducing the energy cost of Quickdraw and extending it's range by 5 meters. Slingers/Snipers are all ready fodder, and the five extra meters are nice but don't really make that much of a difference against classes with quicker TTK's, so more range and easier energy management would be a nice tradeoff.
--Jüdas Creek, The Corellian League
--Jacson Creek, Beskar
--Olrac, The Corellian Cabal

Aetrus
07.14.2015 , 05:39 PM | #22
Look I'm just gonna throw this out there, since I posted the same ideas in the PTS forum and the devs ignored it. Sniper issues in PvP aren't DPS related, they're survival. If our set bonus(es) reduced Shield Probe's CD by 8 seconds and made it heal us for 5% of our maximum health when it collapsed, that would go along way towards helping sniper issues there. I would much rather see them add that into our utilities, but hey...I'll take what I can get.

And the 6 piece set bonus is so OP where Marksman is concerned. That's not to say Marksman is OP or Snipers are OP but you shouldn't be able to guarantee hitting someone for 20k twice every minute. I think the autocrit on set bonuses in general is sort of lazy and unimaginative.
Max Out Your Affection with Aetrus
A'etrus
<Eradication>

S'ynergy
<It's a Little Chewy>

Camelpockets
07.14.2015 , 06:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetrus View Post
Look I'm just gonna throw this out there, since I posted the same ideas in the PTS forum and the devs ignored it. Sniper issues in PvP aren't DPS related, they're survival. If our set bonus(es) reduced Shield Probe's CD by 8 seconds and made it heal us for 5% of our maximum health when it collapsed, that would go along way towards helping sniper issues there. I would much rather see them add that into our utilities, but hey...I'll take what I can get.

And the 6 piece set bonus is so OP where Marksman is concerned. That's not to say Marksman is OP or Snipers are OP but you shouldn't be able to guarantee hitting someone for 20k twice every minute. I think the autocrit on set bonuses in general is sort of lazy and unimaginative.
Honestly, what Bioware should do, not just for Gunslingers / Snipers but all Advanced Classes is bring them back to the point where the PvP and PvE set bonuses were different. Because in PvE, those set bonuses we have are wonderful, don't really need much of a change, however, the Quickdraw energy reduction would be a nice QoL improvement. Even then, the 6 piece could stay the same, even as unimaginative as it is.

So if Bioware was to separate the Set Bonuses, the PvE ones could stay the same (preferably with the QoL Dirty Fighting change), and change the 2 and 4 piece:

2 Piece - Decreases the cooldowns of Defensive Screen by 5 and Dodge by 10.
4 Piece - Using Dodge refreshes the Cooldown of either Defensive Screen or Hightail it.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Kjetil
07.14.2015 , 06:22 PM | #24
The 4pc Set Bonus might be fine as is, if Target Acquired / Illegal Mods had a cooldown of maybe 1 minute, rather than 2 minutes. The ability does seem to have an excessively long cooldown for it's effect.
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to make sure

Greg_TH
07.14.2015 , 06:55 PM | #25
Set bonuses are very fine.
For the energy management in dirty figthing / lethality, i propose to reduce the takedown / quickdraw cost by 3 per second of wounding shot / cull channelled. But this change must be in the tree, not in the set bonuses.
Malow Franc-tireur
<Le Cénacle> Battle Meditation

OMGITSJAD
07.14.2015 , 07:14 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Camelpockets View Post
Honestly, what Bioware should do, not just for Gunslingers / Snipers but all Advanced Classes is bring them back to the point where the PvP and PvE set bonuses were different. Because in PvE, those set bonuses we have are wonderful, don't really need much of a change, however, the Quickdraw energy reduction would be a nice QoL improvement. Even then, the 6 piece could stay the same, even as unimaginative as it is.

So if Bioware was to separate the Set Bonuses, the PvE ones could stay the same (preferably with the QoL Dirty Fighting change), and change the 2 and 4 piece:

2 Piece - Decreases the cooldowns of Defensive Screen by 5 and Dodge by 10.
4 Piece - Using Dodge refreshes the Cooldown of either Defensive Screen or Hightail it.
While these could be nice, they could NOT be part of set bonuses because lol Operatives with almost nonexistent evasion cooldown. Instead they should be either be part of a baseline skill exclusive to Snipers or as a Utility. Also, while yes, the set bonuses are "unimaginiative", and each spec shares similar skills, who cares? If you really want to play with a class it should be in the class itself, not the set bonuses, especially since not everyone has them(and they are shared with PvE where those set bonuses would not be necessary). Set bonuses should not be make or break for specs, just nice bonuses that further your damage/heals or reduce your damage taken by a somewhat small but noticeable margin.
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
How to play Sniper in Solo Ranked ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Camelpockets
07.14.2015 , 07:29 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
While these could be nice, they could NOT be part of set bonuses because lol Operatives with almost nonexistent evasion cooldown. Instead they should be either be part of a baseline skill exclusive to Snipers or as a Utility. Also, while yes, the set bonuses are "unimaginiative", and each spec shares similar skills, who cares? If you really want to play with a class it should be in the class itself, not the set bonuses, especially since not everyone has them(and they are shared with PvE where those set bonuses would not be necessary). Set bonuses should not be make or break for specs, just nice bonuses that further your damage/heals or reduce your damage taken by a somewhat small but noticeable margin.
Oh true, I didn't consider the Scoundrel/Op using this set Bonus as well. Could then have dodge reset the CD of Hightail It then, although, I'm not sure what we could do with the 2 Piece.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Whojoo
07.15.2015 , 04:21 AM | #28
(going full imp here since I dont feel like double typing abilities).
I'll start with saying that the setbonus does not need changing for PvE.
2pc is just like all others.
4pc allows every dicipline to burn a bit more energy. More so in Engineering and Virulence, but also Marksmanship.
6pc is the extra crit a minute which they want to give to every class. Maybe not as effective in every Dicipline of a Sniper, but good enough.

I do suggest splitting PvP and PvE again. I can imagine that PvP benefits more in other areas and the 2pc and 4pc are more sustained damage increases. 4pc can be used for a slightly longer burst, but I don't know how that translates to PvP since I don't PvP.
But I can understand if the current setbonuses are not as usefull in PvP as in PvE.

I see alot of the same suggestions and I think most of them are because they want Virulence be more like the old Lethality for Snipers. I am aiming for the cost reduction on Takedown.

First of all, if Bioware does give Virulence a cost reduction on Takedown, then something needs to be nerfed as well. Virulence is strong enough as it is. A cost reduction on Takedown without some nerf will make the dicipline OP.
And honestly (no offence Bioware) I prefer if this dicipline does not get touched, at all. It is performing fine and I am afraid that any rebalance attempt by adding in the cost reduction for Takedown will lead to either a nerf, or being OP which will be followed by probably a big nerf.

I personally am fine with how Virulence plays now. You got Lethal shot which hits more in 2/3 of the situations and is potentially cheaper. It adds some challenge to predict your energy not just for the current rotation block, but also the next. Overall I do not miss the old Takedown cost reduction at all.

In fact Virulence does not need a cost reduction in Takedown. We are performing quite well without it so I see no reason why we should get it. Other than making the rotation easier which I think is not necessary.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

Ardarell_Solo
07.15.2015 , 06:47 AM | #29
Energy cost reduction for Quickdraw needs to come back.
El'ethon - Sentinel <Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> T3-M4

Glower
07.15.2015 , 07:30 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetrus View Post
It's 12-13k max on PvP geared char. And all 6pc bonuses have "This effect can't occur more than once every minute" part. And you can run away or hide from long-casted Ambush. Please, don't QQ about snipers in set bonuses discussion.
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"; Summer 2018 PvP changes - finally, Bioware delivers...