5.0 Combat Sentinel/Carnage Marauder Guides by Hayete

Bahadori

Hey there Twin Saber fans!

The guides are now live! I was literally contacted by Dulfy.net moments ago in regards to writing the 5.0 guides for their site. Since the request came so late and I pretty much have already done the work on my own site (29 hours plus!) for the mean time I'll keep them hosted on Hayete.net. I did give Dulfy permission to link over to my guides if she so chooses. A lot of time and thought went into the structure, format, and look of these guides. If you have any suggestions on improvements feel free to let me know.

As with 3.0 and 4.0 I wanted to officially start a thread here for those of you who want to ask questions through the forums. My guides do have their own comments section for questions if you would rather leave them there or do not have the ability to post here (sorry F2P). As with all my guides and forum posts here please feel free to comment with your feedback and questions. As always I aim to keep my guides and posts informative and progressive. Feel free to open up dialogue with your fellow gamers and offer advice and opinions as that is the only way we learn. With that said please no trolling, negative "Sentinels/Marauders Suck" comments, etc. doing so will be reported. Lets keep this a positive post for those who enjoy the class/spec and are looking to progress. Thank you, have fun, and I hope you enjoy the hard work! :D

Update (12/27/16):

Update(12/31/16):

Added the following topics to the "Tips & Tricks" chapter of both guides

• Cooldown Text
  • Ability Action Que
  • Keybinding
  • Click Playing (Clicking)

Update: (1/24/17)

- Guides updated for 5.1

- Double Alacrity bug has been fixed. If you were affected by this bug your Alacrity percentage will have dropped by 3%

Update: (3/28/17)

- Guides updated with new Alternate Rotation (Rotation image and explanation)

Edited by Bahadori

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks for this. I've just came back to try out the game after the recent performance fixes and am playing sentinel again.

No clue about a lot of the new skills let alone rotation.

Well you may benefit heavily from the "Abilities" chapter of the guide then. Welcome back and hope you enjoy the game. :D

Well you may benefit heavily from the "Abilities" chapter of the guide then. Welcome back and hope you enjoy the game. :D

Yeah i've just now found out that 'blade barrage' was a replacement of 'blade dance' which was a replacement for master strike?.

I think last time i played sentinel combat was a broken and "avoid at all costs" spec and it was all about stacking crit and surge to land one big op smash.

anyway, ye...great guide and presentation.

You Carnage guide has quite a number of names messed with Combat.

Also, may i suggest adding links towards next section at the bottom of each page? Current site setup isn't very convenient, forcing you to scroll back to top every time.

Edited by Frenesi

You Carnage guide has quite a number of names messed with Combat.

Also, may i suggest adding links towards next section at the bottom of each page? Current site setup isn't very convenient, forcing you to scroll back to top every time.

Can you specifically point out these typo's mate? As you can imagine translating over from one to the other things are bound to be missed. Additionally, check the bottom right of each page... there's a "back to the top" button for that reason.

Follow his priority system for precision/ferocity windows and take the utilities that grant better movement, root breaks, and sticking power (can take pacify DR buff instead of blade blitz root break for more survivability but less movement) and that's mostly everything you'll need. Delaying precision for a couple seconds for a larger burst (to wait for lance or something like that) is beneficial in pvp to kill people where it isn't in pve.

Yeah that I knew, I'm mostly interested about stats\gearing.

Can you specifically point out these typo's mate? As you can imagine translating over from one to the other things are bound to be missed. Additionally, check the bottom right of each page... there's a "back to the top" button for that reason.

Ok, one moment :p

Rotation/Ferocity Priority

3.Devastating Blast (With Opportune Attack proc)

Aaaand that's all i can find, lol. Could have sworn I've seen more yesterday :p

Edited by Frenesi

Ok, one moment :p

Rotation/Ferocity Priority

3.Devastating Blast (With Opportune Attack proc)

Aaaand that's all i can find, lol. Could have sworn I've seen more yesterday :p

Fixed! No worries mate. I appreciate the help proofreading it. After hours and hours of work everything just starts to blend LOL. Every expansion I seem to always miss something when translating the guides, so thanks for helping me fix that :)

Thank for the guide!

I'm curious about the relics. I assume you ran the numbers and mathematically it is simply better but why do you get mix of power and mastery relics? I would have thought double mastery was better considering mastery also contributes to critical chance/multiplier.

Thank for the guide!

I'm curious about the relics. I assume you ran the numbers and mathematically it is simply better but why do you get mix of power and mastery relics? I would have thought double mastery was better considering mastery also contributes to critical chance/multiplier.

I'm assuming by double mastery you're referring to using two Focused Retribution relics. If that is indeed what you meant you would not want to do that. If you equip two of the same relic only one will proc, the other is wasted, meaning you cannot double proc the same relic.

Yeah that I knew, I'm mostly interested about stats\gearing.

I haven't done too much experimenting with gear, but I have tried removing some alacrity for crit as well as power and my burst felt lackluster compared to with high alacrity. The slight increase in damage per hit was nothing compared to being able to fit a 4th ability in precision under zen. I have yet tried removing most of my accuracy for crit/power due to lack of pieces (rip rng) and I haven't bothered to buy the 230s yet. My guess is that the best thing to do is replace accuracy with mostly power and a bit of crit due to crit diminishing returns.

Update:

Hey guys for the Carnage guide there was a mistake in the rotation image in the "Burst 2" line. The first Massacre and Battering Assault under Berserk SHOULD BE swapped compared to "Burst 1" That change has been made and the guide is updated to reflect it. My fault for Copy and Pasting "Burst 1" and forgetting to swap them :(

Sorry to bother you again but I took closer look at your gearing recomendations and my eye got caught by the crystal usage (compared to your 4.0 numbers) and then I realized that pretty much every tier of gear has different approach towards striving for each stat (e.g. alacrity is gained through diffferent "stat distributors" in every tier... like via augments, mods and whatnot) and it got me wondering if you set out to achieve certain ceiling goal for each individual stat and then just kind of filled in the blank (pardon the expression :D ) or if you "just" did the math for each tier and as a result each stat is being differently treated to get the optimal DPS values.

Basically I'm curious about the thought process behind the stat distribution (and why is it being approached differently in every tier).

thanks again, cheers :)

Sorry to bother you again but I took closer look at your gearing recomendations and my eye got caught by the crystal usage (compared to your 4.0 numbers) and then I realized that pretty much every tier of gear has different approach towards striving for each stat (e.g. alacrity is gained through diffferent "stat distributors" in every tier... like via augments, mods and whatnot) and it got me wondering if you set out to achieve certain ceiling goal for each individual stat and then just kind of filled in the blank (pardon the expression :D ) or if you "just" did the math for each tier and as a result each stat is being differently treated to get the optimal DPS values.

Basically I'm curious about the thought process behind the stat distribution (and why is it being approached differently in every tier).

thanks again, cheers :)

The stats come from a simulation model. Basically the model is front loaded with all the possible combinations of stats/gear for the given item level being looked at and the stat values desired. The model then runs all of those configurations numerous times and takes the average of each distribution set up. The setup with the highest average is what you're seeing in the guide. So the reason they differ from item level to item level is because that is more or less what the model showed was optimal for each given item level. Hopefully all of that makes sense lol :cool:

The crystals and gearing recommendations do not matter all that much though. Having different crystals is not going to cause a noticeable change in your DPS while in game.

Edited by Bahadori

The crystals and gearing recommendations do not matter all that much though. Having different crystals is not going to cause a noticeable change in your DPS while in game.

Of course, I just wanted to show my train of thought :D

Thanks for the clarification, I really do appreciate it.

Update:

Edited by Bahadori