sith vs jedi

Ferninator

Sometimes you gotta come down hard, especially when people are completely incapable of admitting that they're wrong (Revan fanboys are notorious for this). The Professor can come out with a lot of completely genuine facts for Star Wars really fast and that can be pretty overwhelming to people not as well versed in the lore and how everything fits together as he is.

The fact that he called Karen Traviss a hack to her face won him my undying respect, however.

I can definitely agree with him on that! Karen Traviss needs to have her right to publish revoked as far as I'm concerned! Then get everything she ever wrote in Star Wars retconned out so we can have our Mara back! :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of Jedi Order even though I play a Sith in the game .

I am going to say Draw on the two , one will win and then the other will come back and over again.

As for canon, People use cano to often to say they are right. I often have large debates over Canon and usually ends up with a Canon user saying I am insulting them because I do not share their point of view.

Alot of times over Revan , when funny enough he is not even on my top Ten Favorite Star Wars characters .

I look at whats there and not WHAT IFs.

Anakin will always be my favorite period, before and after EP1,2,3

Canon is not a brike wall of defense , heck it doesn't even stay the same as it is being constantly rechanged . EP,1,2,3 changed alot for us that grew up on EP4,5,6 the OTs.

I personally am not gonna get caught up in the whole canon debate of this thread ........... always seems to happen when Revan's name is mentioned lol.

Jedi vs Sith , really no loses because they just keep on coming back !

I HAVE to see that.

Link pretty please?

There's no video of it. The Prof. actually told the story back when it was still the pre-release forums and its been taken down now so you'll have to ask Walsh for the full story yourself. From what I remember, ProfessorWalsh went to a book signing, words were exchanged and Karen was called a hack.

There's no video of it. The Prof. actually told the story back when it was still the pre-release forums and its been taken down now so you'll have to ask Walsh for the full story yourself. From what I remember, ProfessorWalsh went to a book signing, words were exchanged and Karen was called a hack.

HA! she absolutely deserves it.

Feel free to put our canon back into consistency before you go, thanks!

and don't come back.

Also, just to get back on topic, to all the local posters, the Professor is right, in fact he is always right, difference between our posts and his, are that he first looks at the canon, thinks about it, then comes back and posts truth, listen to his truth as it is the path to Star Wars Canon enlightenment. *bows*[/color] Edited by Notannos

The Sith are proactive and the Jedi reactive.

Or...

The Sith make things happen, the Jedi wait for them to happen.

So it is easy to be more attracted to the Sith; playing defense all the time is dull.

Add to that, the movies constantly showing that it takes 2 Jedi to defeat 1 Sith makes the Sith look bad-***.

If you are playing to get involved with the universe, you need the right attitude to role-play a Jedi. Strength does not come from regressing to our animal-state. Strength comes from resisting those primitive instincts.

or...

It's easy to kill. It far more difficult and far more rewarding to spare a life and save a life.

Late point: Ask yourself this: Would you prefer to live as a Sith, constantly looking over your shoulder for the knife in the back, the poison in the cup and the bomb on your ship? To desire war over peace, hate over kindness?

If so, the Dark Side is for you.

"It's easy to kill"

Lol. No... it´s not. I even made a tread about it.. At least, not in real life.:D

"It´s far more rewarding to spare a life and save a life."

Naaa...I don´t know...people are ungrateful by their nature. They don´t even bother to send you a Merry Christmass card. :D

Edited by Ivanblood

LOL qft.

Also, just to get back on topic, to all the local posters, the Professor is right, in fact he is always right, difference between our posts and his, are that he first looks at the canon, thinks about it, then comes back and posts truth, listen to his truth as it is the path to Star Wars Canon enlightenment. *bows*

Well, then he might not want to start by saying "You're WRONG" and be a bit less heavy handed about it. I have to admit to getting a kick out of his confrontation with Karen Traviss though. She honestly deserves much worse, and "hack" is the least of the names I would call her. :D

She was trusted by George Lucas and the rest of the ExU writers to not muck everything up.... and what's she go and do???? lol

(For the record, and I've explained this in other posts, I call the Expanded Universe the ExU to differentiate it from the European Union EU)

Late point: Ask yourself this: Would you prefer to live as a Sith, constantly looking over your shoulder for the knife in the back, the poison in the cup and the bomb on your ship? To desire war over peace, hate over kindness?

If so, the Dark Side is for you.

I agree with her, if that is your nature then that is the way for you. Everyone is different.

I HAVE to see that.

Link pretty please?

There actually was a link to it at one time though the video (and the youtube account it was on) no longer exists to my knowledge.

Basically what happened was I was doing my Star Wars book/comic review thing and was buying some Star Wars books. I went to a local store and picked up the latest novel, which was the 3rd in the "Republic Commando" series: True Colors.

What I was unaware of was that the store I went to had a signing event and my friend really wanted to go. (He was a Fandalorian.)

I had already gained an advanced copy of the book and had read it. I was there because I wanted the hardcover for my collection. I was highly critical of the book for terrible dialogue and incredibly jumpy plot.

Discussing this with my friend as he stood in line I was vocally critical of Karen Traviss and her writing style as well as her professed non-adherence to previously established continuity.

She had overheard me and took offense, when she asked me what I said I was rather blunt and upfront with my opinion of her and informed her that I did indeed feel that she was a hack who was unable to write within the established guidelines of the setting.

I live by a very strict code.

One of the pieces of my code states that I will never say something on the internet that I am unwilling to say in person. This is why I also explained, when I interviewed Drew Karpyshyn at Celebration V, to Mr. Karpyshyn what I didn't like about the Darth Bane ending and I used the exact same wording I used in my forum posts.

So, come what may come, but if I am willing to say it online I'm willing and proven willing to say it in person. So that has to account for something regarding my personal integrity.

Also, just to get back on topic, to all the local posters, the Professor is right, in fact he is always right, difference between our posts and his, are that he first looks at the canon, thinks about it, then comes back and posts truth, listen to his truth as it is the path to Star Wars Canon enlightenment. *bows*

I'm not always right. There are things I do miss and things I misremember. I've been caught a few times and I admit to it.

There actually was a link to it at one time though the video (and the youtube account it was on) no longer exists to my knowledge.

Basically what happened was I was doing my Star Wars book/comic review thing and was buying some Star Wars books. I went to a local store and picked up the latest novel, which was the 3rd in the "Republic Commando" series: True Colors.

What I was unaware of was that the store I went to had a signing event and my friend really wanted to go. (He was a Fandalorian.)

I had already gained an advanced copy of the book and had read it. I was there because I wanted the hardcover for my collection. I was highly critical of the book for terrible dialogue and incredibly jumpy plot.

Discussing this with my friend as he stood in line I was vocally critical of Karen Traviss and her writing style as well as her professed non-adherence to previously established continuity.

She had overheard me and took offense, when she asked me what I said I was rather blunt and upfront with my opinion of her and informed her that I did indeed feel that she was a hack who was unable to write within the established guidelines of the setting.

I live by a very strict code.

One of the pieces of my code states that I will never say something on the internet that I am unwilling to say in person. This is why I also explained, when I interviewed Drew Karpyshyn at Celebration V, to Mr. Karpyshyn what I didn't like about the Darth Bane ending and I used the exact same wording I used in my forum posts.

So, come what may come, but if I am willing to say it online I'm willing and proven willing to say it in person. So that has to account for something regarding my personal integrity.

I can respect that, and I have to give you a o/\o highfive for telling that ******* ***** Karen Traviss what I wish I had the opportunity to tell her, myself! :D

Just to interject a little G-Canon into the discussion, here's what Lucas had to say on the subject in the AotC commentary.

LUCAS AOTC Commentary : We're cementing [Anakin's] determination to become the most powerful Jedi. The only way you can really do that is to go to the dark side because the dark side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power, you really have to go to the stronger side, which is the dark side.

Obviously "more powerful" doesn't always mean "better", since the dark side obviously has a number of drawbacks that aren't present on the light side. But in terms of power, there's a reason that people who pursue power turn to the dark side.

Edited by raelimar

Well 99.9% of the time your right.

Well mostly the issues in canon is that people have a really hard time with what characters say.

Whenever a character says something this means one of any number of possible things:

1. The statement is 100% factual, it is true.
  2. The character believes a statement to be true, but it is not true.
  3. The statement is 100% false, and the character is trying to mislead someone else.
  4. The statement is partially true, or false, but the character believes it to be true.
  5. The statement is partially true, or false, but the character is presenting it as a completely truthful statement.

A lot of arguments, when people go against canon, usually use terms like:

"But X character said Y in Z."

I can give no better an example than looking at Gnost Dural.

In the timeline on this very site he says:

"An Imperial Squadron" when referring to the forces destroyed by the "Republic Fleet" in the Battle of Bothawui prior to the ground invasion. He also acts as though the Republic Fleet just happened to be there when the Sith Squadron hit Bothawui.

In the Journal of Mast Gnost Dural that I got with the Collector's Edition those events are recounted considerably differently.

First off, the Republic fleet didn't happen to be there. It was made clear in the Journal that the Republic military had outsmarted the Sith and predicted their movement. They had placed the fleet there purposefully to ambush the Sith.

Secondly in the Journal it was not a "Squadron" (which is about 12 fighters) it was a full Battlegroup.

So the Battle of Bothawui entry on the site, if it were canonically accurate, would read far differently.

However... We have a problem.

We don't canonically know what happened there. Canonically we know the Sith attacked Bothawui and were defeated. We know that they tried to take the planet but when they defeated the defenders there were not enough Imperials left alive to hold it. We know that 4000 Troopers and "several dozen" Jedi were the only defenders and they defeated 50,000 Sith and their forces before reinforcements arrived and even then they killed around 40,000 more Sith and their forces.

The issue though, is canonically we only have a character's interpretation of events so we don't know exactly what happened. We have a Journal by Gnost Dural and the words of Gnost Dural but neither of these things makes those words true, or canon. These things are only canonically confirmed to have been said and/or written by Gnost Dural.

Just to interject a little G-Canon into the discussion, here's what Lucas had to say on the subject in the AotC commentary.

Obviously "more powerful" doesn't always mean "better", since the dark side obviously has a number of drawbacks that aren't present on the light side. But in terms of power, there's a reason that people who pursue power turn to the dark side.

Waitwhat? I do believe he said that Anakin perceives the dark side as more powerful, not that it actually IS more powerful.....

He could full well be talking in reference to what Anakin believes.

As there are many ways to interpret his statement, and the fact they can outright contradict other interpretations of the same statement, show us that it isn't really something one can base an argument on.

I've smacked that comment down before Raelimar and you know that.

When Lucas was interviewed he was asked about that comment and he specifically stated that he was relaying "Anakin's thought process" he was giving Anakin's rationalization. He also said in the Revenge of the Sith commentary that Anakin and the Sith have no control and that is why they are weak whereas a Jedi is strong because they have self-control.

He also said at the Celebration V interview with Jon Stewart that "The Light Side is always stronger than the Dark Side, and that is why Good always wins over Evil."

Your my new hero.

I just analized the SW religion and I came to a conclusion that Sith filosophy is better

Read it here.

How can you argue with that? If you did, you might get analized too. I'm not sure what that is actually, but I'm pretty sure I dont want it to happen to me.