The Old Republic at E3 2012!

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True it takes 2 willing players to engage in PvP combat, however the game needs to have more incentives for players to do so and areas, events +more dedicated to it.

Given the StarWars universe, there's so many interesting ways that BioWare could implement player versus player content like cantina brawls, space battles or even just open PvP areas on the planets with control points.

The incentive for people doing open world pvp IS open world pvp, there are areas for it, the den and and every other area in the world not blocked off to one faction or the other. Its the pvp community that either make or break open world pvp on its own community.

If you need a shiney to make you do open world pvp then your doing it for reward and not for openworld pvp. Bioware gave the tools once and players used it 1st as a pve excersices and mainly ignored the other side, then they started trading kills and then one side go to big for the other and ended up being ganked to the point where a bug hit and gravecamping started.

Edited by Shingara

The incentive for people doing open world pvp IS open world pvp, there are areas for it, the den and and every other area in the world not blocked off to one faction or the other. Its the pvp community that either make or break open world pvp on its own community.

If you need a shiney to make you do open world pvp then your doing it for reward and not for openworld pvp.

Personally, I'm saddened that these new PvPers no longer PvP to PvP. I still think the worst mistake in MMO history was to start offering rewards for PvPing. Now no one will do it unless they get a shiney for doing it.

Personally, I'm saddened that these new PvPers no longer PvP to PvP. I still think the worst mistake in MMO history was to start offering rewards for PvPing. Now no one will do it unless they get a shiney for doing it.

Agree, i used todo tauren mill and spent hours doing it, and even hours in AV back in the day when you got the rides out and the world boss's before it became a sprint passed each other and grab the flags 1st. It used tobe done because it was fun and a challange.

Edited by Shingara

We have the best pvp team corect? why is the pvp so bad then? How people think that 1 new wz and thats it for the year is acceptable is beyond me. With gw2 and other mmo's on the horizon this game better get in gear yesterday and quit screwing around here

We have the best pvp team corect? why is the pvp so bad then? How people think that 1 new wz and thats it for the year is acceptable is beyond me. With gw2 and other mmo's on the horizon this game better get in gear yesterday and quit screwing around here

The highest playerbase percentage playing PvP than any other MMO, and you think it's bad? Mmkay.

We have how many pvp maps, how many pvp match types. how long has the game been out and there is even another one coming so what are you on about exactly.

How much did EA pay IGN this time?

I prefer to judge a game from my own experiences, and SWTOR gets a solid 4/10. it loses points for being 100% themepark and the complete inability of the dev team to roll out simple fixes and introduce an RPG element to the game.

speech bubbles, an interactive environment which games 10 years old had at launch, a character creator that doesn't look like it was implemented at the last minute, player housing, and colour customization - all of these are the very basic requirements in an MMORPG and none of them are shown in this new content.

please gets the basics done first. i think the expression is not to run before you can walk.

Edited by kurzis

How much did EA pay IGN this time?

I prefer to judge a game from my own experiences, and SWTOR gets a solid 4/10. it loses points for being 100% themepark and the complete inability of the dev team to roll out simple fixes and introduce an RPG element to the game.

speech bubbles, an interactive environment which games 10 years old had at launch, a character creator that doesn't look like it was implemented at the last minute, player housing, and colour customization - all of these are the very basic requirements in an MMORPG and none of them are shown in this new content.

please gets the basics done first. i think the expression is not to run before you can walk.

LOL posts like this make me laugh... :p

Its called open world pvp. If you think 4 wz's is uber then lolz. Its been out 6 months and this is all they have? Seriously go play lotro or dcuo rift then youll see what im "on" about. Your just settling for poor pvp this is crap shrug...

We have how many pvp maps, how many pvp match types. how long has the game been out and there is even another one coming so what are you on about exactly.
Edited by hargrave

Its called open world pvp. If you think 4 wz's is uber then lolz. Its been out 6 months and this is all they have? Seriously go play lotro or dcuo rift then youll see what im "on" about. Your just settling for poor pvp this is crap shrug...

I agree.

they should of had more open world areas than a tiny area of tatooine and ilum and give players an incentive for competing, SWG did it right with the civil war update.

we can all run around with our pvp flags turned on but whats the point? theres no incentive, if republicans kill all the imperials on tatooine what do the republicans gain? nothing.

they should give an option for each factions outpost to be able to be lost to the other faction. e.g.; republicans win the imperial dune sea outpost. for imperials who have opted to participate in the faction war they can no longer take a speeder to that outpost and the imperial NPC's are replaced by hostile republican NPC but have the option of gaining it back by killing the republican NPC's and staying in the area for x amount of time.

people who haven't opted for faction warfare will see republican npc's at the outpost until the imperials win it back but wont be attacked by them and can still take a speeder there.

opting into this system could have a lockout. so you can only opt in once per day, 5 minutes out of combat and you can opt out, if you opt out you'll have to wait for the next days reset to get back in, this'll prevent people exploiting by opting out to use the speeders then opting straight back in.

thats just a very basic idea using the same elements SWG did.

seriously Bioware. this game has spent years in development including around 2 years worth of beta testing, did you listen to the beta testers or were the testers hand picked through a employee friends and family scheme?

how can you get pvp so wrong and continue to get it so wrong?

****!

"We did something great, showed that only to choosen onces, and got a reward! And you just go and pay! We'll have a nice future"!

Dear Bioware,

If you don't tell the community what is so great you gonna make there is a possibility noone would just wait it... =\

Wy do not tell everyone? Or loyal subscribers? Just look at quantity of players dinamics!

I have an idea, turn on your pvp flag and organize stuff wih other like minded people on your server for open world pvp, people are doing it in the den and in open worlds areas on servers like jun, if you like those other games so much go play those its as simple as that, if they are so great you wouldnt be here, take off the rose tinted glasses.

That E3 debacle is nothing but a load of rubbish.

I would like to know what game they were on about as it can't be this pile of drivel. I have never been so bored so quickly in an mmo and i have certainly played alot.

Nah its a load of old bumkum, i sense that they are suffering from a panic attack.

If you need a shiney to make you do open world pvp then your doing it for reward and not for openworld pvp. Bioware gave the tools once and players used it 1st as a pve excersices and mainly ignored the other side, then they started trading kills and then one side go to big for the other and ended up being ganked to the point where a bug hit and gravecamping started.

The idea that mass open world PvP has ever existed in a MMORPG for mass open world PvP's sake is largely a myth.

Ganking? Sure. Especially when MMORPGs had full looting and you could make someone body rot..... but that's not the same thing (and frankly that doesn't exist in many MMORPGs these days either).

RvR is the only form of open world PvP that has ever drawn and kept mass players and mass battles, and SWTOR simply doesn't have any (as they withdrew what little they had).

Disapointingly if you look a Planetside 2 (or even Planetside 1 :eek:) you can see exactly would could have been done with SWTOR PvP and RvR.

The idea that mass open world PvP has ever existed in a MMORPG for mass open world PvP's sake is largely a myth.

Ganking? Sure. Especially when MMORPGs had full looting and you could make someone body rot..... but that's not the same thing (and frankly that doesn't exist in many MMORPGs these days either).

RvR is the only form of open world PvP that has ever drawn and kept mass players and mass battles, and SWTOR simply doesn't have any (as they withdrew what little they had).

Disapointingly if you look a Planetside 2 (or even Planetside 1 :eek:) you can see exactly would could have been done with SWTOR PvP and RvR.

This isnt an RvR game, warhammer and guildwars etc are RvR games. And when we had what we had, of which the den is still in it became abused, people ignoring the pvp todo pve/pvp dailys, trading kills, base ganking via a bug.

Edited by Shingara

I have an idea, turn on your pvp flag and organize stuff wih other like minded people on your server for open world pvp, people are doing it in the den and in open worlds areas on servers like jun, if you like those other games so much go play those its as simple as that, if they are so great you wouldnt be here, take off the rose tinted glasses.

That shouldn't be needed, it should be optional.

With a decent RvR basin there should be 24/7 RvR and PvP in SWTOR, however Ilum was a terrible RvR basin in pretty much every way (I have no idea how people that worked on Warhammer Online could build one so intrinsically rubbish :() and the engine is suspect too (and will need serious optimisation).

If they'd just cloned DAoCs frontier system from 2001 they'd have had something infinately better than Ilum.

I wouldn't mind if they hadn't promised PvP and the artist formerly known as RvR (although I suspect them refusing to refer to it as that meant they didn't buy the hype they were pushing at the time - which raises serious questions), but they did.

They could even had just clones a basic basin set up from WAR (with a 1.3.6 balance system) and again that would have been infinately better than Ilum. :(

That shouldn't be needed, it should be optional.

With a decent RvR basin there should be 24/7 RvR and PvP in SWTOR, however Ilum was a terrible RvR basin in pretty much every way (I have no idea how people that worked on Warhammer Online could build one so intrinsically rubbish :() and the engine is suspect too (and will need serious optimisation).

If they'd just cloned DAoCs frontier system from 2001 they'd have had something infinately better than Ilum.

I wouldn't mind if they hadn't promised PvP and the artist formerly known as RvR (although I suspect them refusing to refer to it as that meant they didn't buy the hype they were pushing at the time - which raises serious questions), but they did.

They could even had just clones a basic basin set up from WAR (with a 1.3.6 balance system) and again that would have been infinately better than Ilum. :(

Like i have always said illum was badly designed, it should have been on a timer like wows with a flashpoint or operation within it, but what we had was abused and its laughable for anyone to deny that, the dailys in there were done whilst ignoring the other side, there was basically a truce held by the community to just do the dailys as fast as possible and get out of there. then they put kills in the mix and people started mass trading kills again perpetuated by the community. And the straw that broke the camels back was a bug hit and one sided spawn camped the gy to rank up the valor to the degree of insanity thus putting the nail in the coffin as to say for illum.

This isnt an RvR game, warhammer and guildwars etc are RvR games. And when we had what we had, of which the den is still in it became abused, people ignoring the pvp todo pve/pvp dailys, trading kills, base ganking via a bug.

That stuff happens in all "RvR" games (DAoC, PS, WAR etc., I've seen all that in all of them).

It doesn't take long for a combination of tweaking the game systems (dimishing returns and balancing systems), bug fixing and GM enforcement to sort those things out to a managable level.

That's no excuse for the worst implimentation of RvR ever seen in an MMORPG and then removing it. :mad:

And SWTOR was sold on it's RvR and PvP strengths......... I completely agree they didn't exists, but you'd never know that from the pre-release sales hype.

That stuff happens in all "RvR" games (DAoC, PS, WAR etc., I've seen all that in all of them).

It doesn't take long for a combination of tweaking the game systems (dimishing returns and balancing systems), bug fixing and GM enforcement to sort those things out to a managable level.

That's no excuse for the worst implimentation of RvR ever seen in an MMORPG and then removing it. :mad:

And SWTOR was sold on it's RvR and PvP strengths......... I completely agree they didn't exists, but you'd never know that from the pre-release sales hype.

The only way that could have been policed is for a gm to sit and watch the zone all the time and to physicaly create hatred between the factions to want to kill each other on sight, that wasnt the case, both sides worked as a team in the main to gain the pvp ranks.

And that was the problem, there was no lose involved with it, there was nothing but gain via the ranks, warhammer worked because it gave buffs to the zone and it made it possible to attack the main citys, wows works because there is a raid and vendors only usable when you control the zone. That made them worth fighting the other side for.

If they put a pve 8/16 man operation that gave pvp drops in illum now and pvp vendor only usable within a 1-3 hour time window and made all daily missions only doable when you control the zone or are taking it then illum would work instantly. Blizzard may poach ideas like a burglar likes silver but when they get the idea right, they really get the idea right.

Edited by Shingara

Looking forward to this new content, especially HK-51, please release a video preview so we can see him so all us KOTOR addicts have something to look forward to :)

it was HK-47

what does hk-51 a rip off droid inspire u to do but cry at what they have done lol:confused:

Edited by TheLordMagnus

The only way that could have been policed is for a gm to sit and watch the zone all the time and to physicaly create hatred between the factions to want to kill each other on sight, that wasnt the case, both sides worked as a team in the main to gain the pvp ranks.

And that was the problem, there was no lose involved with it, there was nothing but gain via the ranks, warhammer worked because it gave buffs to the zone and it made it possible to attack the main citys, wows works because there is a raid and vendors only usable when you control the zone. That made them worth fighting the other side for.

If they put a pve 8/16 man operation that gave pvp drops in illum now and pvp vendor only usable within a 1-3 hour time window and made all daily missions only doable when you control the zone illum would work instantly. Blizzard may poach ideas like a burglar likes silver but when they get the idea right, they really get the idea right.

Proper diminishing returns would have made it pointless, with it kill trading in WAR only worked if you did 100% of the damage, were a lot lower in rank AND had a large pool of people to line up to die (which made it effectively pointless, over actually fighting, for everyone but gold farmers).

But again the utterly horrible design of the zone was also largely to blame, there wasn't enough reward for winning or losing or indeed a clear way to win or lose really.

I could have seen it from a dev team that had never been anywhere near an RvR game, but just playing an RvR game would have allowed most people to design a better systems, never mind that many of the people working on SWTOR had worked on WAR (and that Biware was running WAR). :(