So... The story's personal now from Rishi onward?

Kelgert

Me and my girlfriend have been playing SWTOR together now for about two weeks now, and we've been having a really good time together; Sharing in the glory of the story missions, watching each otherdeliver dialogue, me sitting there nervously as a Light-Side character as she wins Dark-Side rolls and kills everyone. It's all good fun.

However, our stories have reached Rishi now, and we're not really sharing the story anymore. Only times we get to see each other interact with something together is when we're outside of instance zones, but honestly it's kinda boring just like that. It was fun on Makeb and Ilum because we were essentially two Sith Lords working together to do X thing, but on Rishi we just sort of split off, and it's not as fun that way.

So is this what the story will be like now? Solo story experience? If yes then that is a real disappointment, as our Siths essentially aren't working together anymore. Now we're playing a combination of Bounty Hunter and Agent, likely play up until Rishi again before we change classes again because it's not much fun playing the story without one or the other spectating/helping in the story.

Sincerely, a disgruntled boyfriend and story enthusiast.

This is what happens when the single-player content of the initial days gets praised as the best part of the game, but the devs no longer have the budget to give each class a separate story.

This... Isn't much of an answer.

I'm not even looking for class unique stories for me and my gal to have separate stories. We just want to be able to do the story together, like on Makeb or Ilum. Makeb especially, since the whole story didn't seem to really bother if you are a singular hero saving the Empire, or if there is a group of you saving the Empire.

Yeah, the stories are fun, but at the very least up until Rishi you were able to do them together. I want to know if it's still worth doing them together or if it's just gonna be solo from now on.

This is what happens when the single-player content of the initial days gets praised as the best part of the game, but the devs no longer have the budget to give each class a separate story.

What does the first part, praise for the OC class stories, have to do with the second part, later development and the story direction?

Unfortunately, OP, the stories do become homogenized after the class story, and it only gets worse from here. When you get into the Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne expansions it will be even harder to do anything together. I believe Oricon plays like Makeb insofar as having multiple people in conversations. I do not know for certain, but I expect that Jedi Under Siege and Onslaught will be like Shadow of Revan where the game will expect only one person being present and everyone else is stuck in spectator mode.

I understand the limitations that have resulted in a single story for all, but I do wish they had chosen to, or are able to in future content, craft a story where the player is not considered the sole protagonist. I would much rather have a story that plays out like Makeb, one wherein the player is not the sole protagonist, so that it could be played with a group. Of course, this would be a lot easier to do if they had not gone the direction they did with Fallen Empire, which is when our character becomes the sole protagonist. As we see with Ilum and Makeb, just because there is a single story for all does not mean that our character is the sole protagonist.

* Yes, technically there are two stories for Ilum and Makeb, but since one can only group up within their character's faction, and all characters within the same faction have the same story, there is effectively a single story for all.

Yeah, the stories are fun, but at the very least up until Rishi you were able to do them together. I want to know if it's still worth doing them together or if it's just gonna be solo from now on.

Not exactly. You were able to be a spectator in her story while she was a spectator in yours. The only "shared story" things were the various kinds of side missions, including the <Planetname; Story Arc> missions.

If you and she had chosen to be the *same* base class (both Warriors or both Inquisitors), you'd have had the same problem, of having to be a spectator in one pass through each segment and the participant in another. (In essence, the class story instances are class-locked examples of the things called "Personal Phase" in later content.)