Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please consider deleting ALTs you are not going to use

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please consider deleting ALTs you are not going to use

Phenglei
10.06.2017 , 09:34 AM | #21
I see a few comments here about the impact that the server merge will have on available character slots.

If this helps any, the developers are looking into increasing the number of character slots available per server with the merge. From the thread "SWTOR Autumn Roadmap 2017" :

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=933608&page=8

Quote: Originally Posted by serenitty View Post
So say my limit at the moment is 27, and I end up with over 52 characters on one server and I want to make a new one, I have to delete at least 26 toons?? This does not make me happy.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Totally hear you on this, and it is a fair concern. We are looking at two numbers to potentially increase. First, maximum chars allowed per server (currently 52) and the amount of "default" char slots a sub has (currently 12). Hoping to have some locked down details to share in the next couple of weeks, with the ultimate goal of largely alleviating the issue you presented above.

-eric
When I first saw this, my immediate reaction was, "Okay, they're going to increase - or TRY to increase, anyway - the character slots per server, but how much? Increasing the slots by, say, two or three per server isn't really going to help much under these circumstances. In order for it really make a difference here, they'd have to increase the number of slots by a substantial amount."

Eric Musco said they would try to "largely alleviate" the issue. What exactly that means, though, is anybody's guess at this point.
"What I mean is ... Yes, they are blue berries, but they're not necessarily blueberries. Because while all blueberries are blue berries, not all blue berries are blueberries. You see?"

Foambreaker
10.06.2017 , 09:39 AM | #22
Ok, I'm the bad guy.

So no.

I am saving those alts names in case I lose my names.

If they had done their jobs and come up with an algorithm, they could have asked me if they don't know how, I would not need all these alts.

Johrun
10.06.2017 , 10:03 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
In the spirit of cooperation and similar warm and fussy feelings, I will implore everyone to clean house prior to the coming mergers. You should obviously not delete toons you intend to use, but if you already know that you will not be playing that toon on that server, well, be a good sport and go delete them. So far I have deleted 30 or so toons, and I will probably be deleting an additional 100 or so toons in the next couple of days (yes I have been maxed out globally for a long time).
I'm not so sure many people fancy deleting characters they invested likely days/weeks in leveling (unless bot did it for them).

I'm sure some of my character's names will clash with others. Guess I'll have to get creative coming up with new ones.

Transcendent
10.06.2017 , 10:18 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzsi View Post
I made a bunch of characters instead -- sorry but since they are tossing all my chars on the one server now and I only had a few spare slots -- I wanted to be sure to always have spares.
I paid for all those extra char slots, I certainly intend to make the most of them.
Do you know what, that isn't a bad idea.

While I understand the intent to both free up names / make the transfer process quicker, the part where we can exceed the cap makes this an interesting proposition.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

Phenglei
10.06.2017 , 10:22 AM | #25
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in some cases, the announced server merge has actually motivated players to NOT delete alts that they had been planning to delete.

The reasoning basically goes like this :

"I was going to delete these useless alts ... but now, I think I'll keep them instead, at least until after the merge.

If these alts wind up losing their names in the merge, then it doesn't matter what I do with them.

But if these alts wind up keeping their names in the merge ... I can delete the alts after the merge, and give their names to whichever of my mains have lost their names."

Jagaimee
10.06.2017 , 10:55 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Phenglei View Post

But if these alts wind up keeping their names in the merge ... I can delete the alts after the merge, and give their names to whichever of my mains have lost their names."
...wait. Is that how that works?
Okay... and what if said alt is level 30-something, with the same name as a level 70 (level 70 has much more play-time and achievements to its legacy, etc.) on a different server that'll get merged? I wonder which character would keep their name? Does it matter?
"'But why,' some say, 'choose the moon? Why choose this as our goal?' And they might well ask, 'Why climb the highest mountain? Why, thirty-five years ago, fly the Atlantic?' Why click some random person's referral link?'"
- JFK...mostly. Save for that last part (FAQ about referral links)....... Quinnmancer

RikuvonDrake
10.06.2017 , 11:14 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagaimee View Post
...wait. Is that how that works?
Okay... and what if said alt is level 30-something, with the same name as a level 70 (level 70 has much more play-time and achievements to its legacy, etc.) on a different server that'll get merged? I wonder which character would keep their name? Does it matter?
Honestly, I should just direct you towards the FAQ, but in this specific case assuming you are both subscribers and you are getting merged to the same server, the person with the most playtime will get to keep the name while yours will be something random that you will be able to change.

I ask you to read the FAQ, Bioware was aware that there would be multiple questions about this and it's all outlined in simple English in the FAQ with examples as well as the rules.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Phenglei
10.06.2017 , 11:16 AM | #28
what if said alt is level 30-something, with the same name as a level 70 (level 70 has much more play-time and achievements to its legacy, etc.) on a different server that'll get merged?
The alt would lose the name to the Level 70 character.

And if that's the case, then the player will just rename and delete the alt after the merge. In practical terms, this is really no different from deleting the alt now.

But suppose that the alt is Level 30, and there's a Level 20 character, with the same name, but less play time, on the servers being merged.

The player was planning to delete this alt, no matter what happens. But the difference is this :

If the player deletes the alt now, then that Level 20 character will get to keep the name permanently.

But if the player waits until after the merge to delete the alt, then he/she can keep the name, and then give the name to a main who has lost his/her name.

That's how the players are reasoning it, anyway.

ETA :

There is a caveat to these players' plan. When you delete the alt, you have to IMMEDIATELY rename one of your main characters with that alt's name.

Otherwise ... If you delete the alt, and then another player happens to create or rename a character with that alt's name before you rename one of your mains with it, then the opportunity will be lost.

Estelindis
10.06.2017 , 11:16 AM | #29
what if said alt is level 30-something, with the same name as a level 70 (level 70 has much more play-time and achievements to its legacy, etc.) on a different server that'll get merged? I wonder which character would keep their name?
I imagine that the character with the most play-time would keep the name, on the basis of the criteria the devs have given us.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

Jagaimee
10.06.2017 , 11:45 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
Honestly, I should just direct you towards the FAQ, but in this specific case assuming you are both subscribers and you are getting merged to the same server, the person with the most playtime will get to keep the name while yours will be something random that you will be able to change.

I ask you to read the FAQ, Bioware was aware that there would be multiple questions about this and it's all outlined in simple English in the FAQ with examples as well as the rules.
They're both my characters. I didn't like the playstyle of one, so I started a new character with the opposite advanced class, and the same name and appearance, on another server. This new character is the level 70 with much more play-time logged to it. I'm just worried about losing that one's name; I have a list of alternate names in hand in case my other characters are forced to change their names, but for that lone character, there are no alternate names that I'd feel okay with changing it to.

I have read the FAQ. I was concerned that I misread or missed something altogether (that happens a lot...I tend to read way too fast, form opinions based on incomplete knowledge, and then get horribly confused when the correct information is pointed out to me. In short, I'm a dunce. XD). Thanks for answering the question, though! I feel a bit better about keeping my character's name.

So, in short - once the servers merge, my higher-level alt keeps his name while my lower-level alt with the same name loses his? Sounds perfect to me.
"'But why,' some say, 'choose the moon? Why choose this as our goal?' And they might well ask, 'Why climb the highest mountain? Why, thirty-five years ago, fly the Atlantic?' Why click some random person's referral link?'"
- JFK...mostly. Save for that last part (FAQ about referral links)....... Quinnmancer