BW's first big mistake - the Era.

DPCummerbund

So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The era is actually fine, this gives BW a huge open spot to put in their own lore and all that. Whereas if they did it in a different era, they would have to be careful in how they would go about making the game and trying not to disrupt any lore....especially if the game was set during the movies era, then your really limiting what is able to happen.

they already made one in Darth Vader's era, and all the ******es drove that in to the Toilet too. The Expanded Universe is the bread and butter of Star Wars merchandising (It paid for the prequels)

Most people who play these games arent Star Wars fans anyway. I am, and I like it.

The era is actually fine, this gives BW a huge open spot to put in their own lore and all that. Whereas if they did it in a different era, they would have to be careful in how they would go about making the game and trying not to disrupt any lore....especially if the game was set during the movies era, then your really limiting what is able to happen.

I was thinking about that too. A lot of people would get mad if you messed up the EU lore. However, I think the majority of Star Wars fans don't even know what the EU lore is, and couldn't care less if you messed it up anyway.

I think LOTRO did a really good job of this. This game could have gone on concurrently with the original trilogy, that would have been great. They frequently have areas that are set either right before or right after events in Lord of the Rings. Star Wars could have done the same. For example,

Hoth - when Luke left, the last of the Republic forces were still clearing out. Empire forces could be trying to round up the last of these Republic forces, especially trying to capture critical data or people before they got off planet. Republic forces could be trying to save them from the Empire's assault.

Alderaan - right before it's blown up. It would be cool to see everything, knowing you're going to be one of the last people to see the planet before it explodes. Both sides could be tracking down rumors of a secret Empire superweapon headed their way...

Endor - right before the battle. Republic players could be out recruiting Ewoks (kind of like the Twi'lek pilgrims on Tython).

Tattooine - pretty much any time!

So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.

The Era is better for creativity than the one portrayed in the movies. The movies created left no real room to expand on, except for the period after. Also, you'd know quite a lot about everything you said you have no clue about if you'd played the original games made by BioWare, Knights of the Old Republic. They were great games. That's why this game was made. It wasn't made to deviate from the stories already in place from the movies.

If you want a game that does stay within the realms of the movies, play The Force Unleashed. Be prepared for disappointment, as well. The stories are terrible and clunky. Why? Because they tried deviating from, but staying within the boundaries of the movies. It just doesn't work.

SWG was in the original trilogy era and that certainly did not play out better

uhh... im pretty sure it played out better. it lasted around 8 years and even when they took it down it still had a populated server.

oh yeah, and it was fun. there was stuff to do end game.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?.

Are you kidding? He was in every single cinematic leading up to the game's release.

He kills Satele Shan's Master, Kao Den Darach. He kills Darth Vindican, his own Master. He leads the assault on the Jedi Temple and destroys it. He kills Master Ven Zallow, the leader of the Temple. He's there in the assault of Alderaan. He nearly kills Satele Shan AND Jace Malcolm by himself!

He orchestrates everything the Empire does. Every single flashpoint is a single stroke of his master plan. He has the players go to Hammer Station in order to obtain the Advocent technology. He has the players go attack Clan Varad in order to gain an allegiance of a competing Mandalorian Clan. He has players track down and kill Darth Revan so he can control the Foundry. He has the players perform in the Colicoid War games to have access to their weaponry. He has the players assault the Red Reaper and kill his Master's master, Darth Ikoral, to ensure that the Pureblood Hegemony will not return to the Empire.

Then when all of this is complete, he performs a coup d'etat, using every single element of all the previous flashpoints as his own tools to become the New Emperor so he could make the Sith Empire more like the Republic.

uhh... im pretty sure it played out better. it lasted around 8 years and even when they took it down it still had a populated server.

Sandbox and Themepark two different things, and no SWG didn't play out any better. What did you really do that connected a person with the SW world? Sure you could be a moisture farmer....you could travel around planets, but in terms of quests and missions what was there really? The only thing remotely that connected someone to the actual battle between the Rebellion and Empire was the Battle of Hoth heroic.

300 000 subscribers at its highest and 10 000 concurrent users two years later isn't anything close to better, and proves that putting it in that time era does not make a game better

Have you been paying attention to the story at all?

SWG was the one game OP should've looked at and yes it did play out better no matter how much people say it didn't.

I think that the era is a great fit for bioware as they released the previous two games in the ToR series they aren't going to go and expand on an over used era that has no room for imagination they are going to stick with their bread and butter which is prior to the movies era. It just allows them to expand their Star Wars universe from the first two games.

If it wasn't in the Old Republic era, even fewer people would play. Why?

Everyone wants lightsabers. And this is one of the only eras where there are numerous Jedi and Sith.

People forget that SWG didn't originally allow you to be a Force user.

I agree.

The game needs to be in a different timeline then the movies. And it is.

Are you kidding? He was in every single cinematic leading up to the game's release.

He kills Satele Shan's Master...

Have you been paying attention to the story at all?

Yes, I've been paying attention to the story in this game. But my point is that none of these things are in the original trilogy. And if the whole point in throwing a bunch of money at an established franchise - and then making it F2P to attract casual gamers - is to appeal to the casual players and casual fans, none of whom know or care who Darth Malgus is.

And pretty much every comment I've seen about Darth Malgus on on-gaming sites is "Who is this guy? He looks like Darth Vader, except without a mask. How lame."

The game exposes you to planets and lore that are mere sketched outlines in the movies. They expanded lore detail for you and you complain about it.

Conclusion: you want to play an MMO in the movie timeline. That's fine, but you know... they did not hide the fact that the lore was in a different timeline. You purchased it knowing this.

Edited by Andryah

The game exposes you to planets and lore that are mere sketched outlines in the movies. They expanded lore detail for you and you complain about it.

Conclusion: you want to play an MMO in the movie timeline. That's fine, but you know... they did not hide the fact that the lore was in a different timeline. You purchased it knowing this.

Yes, I knew what this was when I purchased it. And a lot of people undoubtedly saw what it was and decided NOT to purchase it, or purchased it and then quit.

Case in point - the CE is now on sale for like $30 at many stores. I'd consider getting it, and putting the statue on my desk, if it was Darth Vader instead of Darth Malgus. I'd bet a lot of people feel the same.

Umm...you know the first two words to the title of this game should be enough to attract casual gamers..."Star Wars".

My bud doesn't know any of the extended universe story or lore, but none the less he is enjoying himself greatly.

Hasn't even jumped on his PS3 in almost a week now...that says a lot.

And the CE get's you more than the statue....jeez picky people.

Edited by grombrinda

Not me, for one. I probably wouldn't have bought the game. This just smacks of all the moments in the prequels that shamelessly referenced the original trilogy for no reason other than misguided fan service. I'm not saying you can't set a game at some point during the movie timelines - many good games have done this - but it shouldn't just be because you need it in order to make the story compelling.

Umm...you know the first two words to the title of this game should be enough to attract casual gamers..."Star Wars".

My bud doesn't know any of the extended universe story or lore, but none the less he is enjoying himself greatly.

Hasn't even jumped on his PS3 in almost a week now...that says a lot.

And the CE get's you more than the statue....jeez picky people.

I'm not saying the game isn't enjoyable as it is, or that the story for this era isn't allowed to be better than the original trilogy. I'm just saying that for the casual gamer and casual Star Wars fan, the more closely it sticks to the original trilogy, the better.

And I'm not saying that there aren't any cool Star Wars elements. I think the Jedi & Sith powers are very well done. And my BH feels very much like I would expect a BH to be.

And there definitely are some good "trilogy" companions, like Jawas and Wookies. I think it would have been better to get them before other non-trilogy companions.

For example, I've lost count of the number of bugs & monsters I've slain. Whether it's rakghouls on Taris or Killiks on Alderaan, i've killed a lot of bugs. But I think I've only fought a handful of rancors, and no AT-ATs or AT-STs.