Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ratajack
06.12.2017 , 11:54 AM | #811
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
Coming from someone full of assumptions.... What's the alternative? There -isn't- one. I can't give you a quote because BW hasn't talked about it but why exactly would they need to?
That is exactly my point.

BW would not need to talk about the "why", regardless of what the "why" was.

Therefore, we do not know what they "why" is. We can guess, but we do not know, no matter what some would like to claim or have the rest of us believe.

fushnchips
06.12.2017 , 12:00 PM | #812
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
That is exactly my point.

BW would not need to talk about the "why", regardless of what the "why" was.

Therefore, we do not know what they "why" is. We can guess, but we do not know, no matter what some would like to claim or have the rest of us believe.
End of the day Bioware will do what's best for the game and if doing a merge of certain servers then that's how the chips will fall.

Ratajack
06.12.2017 , 12:03 PM | #813
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
End of the day Bioware will do what's best for the game and if doing a merge of certain servers then that's how the chips will fall.
At the end of the day, if BW decides that the best course of action is not to merge servers, or to only merge the old PVP servers, then that is how the chips will fall.

fushnchips
06.12.2017 , 12:10 PM | #814
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
At the end of the day, if BW decides that the best course of action is not to merge servers, or to only merge the old PVP servers, then that is how the chips will fall.
lol if they don't merge then they don't but they will be doing something so i'm happy with what ever I have toons on most servers so it doesn't bother me to be honest.

CrazyCT
06.12.2017 , 02:44 PM | #815
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
Umm isn't that exactly what you and your fellow anti-merge posters are doing? You're dismissing the concerns of people as if it's all about queue times, not even considering that most hardcore raiders don't even use the queue, they want a server with active NiM and HM communities. Same for Ranked, we don't just want queues to pop, we need them to pop and actually work with the matchmaking, which requires a decent population size.
You're right, I have been remiss in not taking into account the people out there who need a couple of RPers to boost the NiM progression team. Tell you what, I'll take the EU servers, you take the US, we'll both try and take a census of all the RP players just choking for some hardcore NiM raiding or some Ranked PvP. I'll come back with my results by the end of the week.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

kvandertulip
06.12.2017 , 03:13 PM | #816
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
You're right, I have been remiss in not taking into account the people out there who need a couple of RPers to boost the NiM progression team. Tell you what, I'll take the EU servers, you take the US, we'll both try and take a census of all the RP players just choking for some hardcore NiM raiding or some Ranked PvP. I'll come back with my results by the end of the week.
Took care of the ranked part for you.

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/cl.../the-ebon-hawk
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/cl...begeren-colony
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/cl...efined/jung-ma
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/cl...tle-meditation
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/cl...the-progenitor
http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/cl...jervalis-chain
Wiseposterior
<The Cleverlynamed Legacy>

Foambreaker
06.12.2017 , 03:30 PM | #817
XServer is better.

Reason?

It doesn't take 82 pages of post to figure out

kvandertulip
06.12.2017 , 03:39 PM | #818
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
XServer is better.

Reason?

It doesn't take 82 pages of post to figure out
If only anyone had told Bioware back in 2012....
Wiseposterior
<The Cleverlynamed Legacy>

fushnchips
06.12.2017 , 04:29 PM | #819
Quote: Originally Posted by kvandertulip View Post
If only anyone had told Bioware back in 2012....
more like who ever thought of that engine should have had ideas of like real MMO stuff guess they forgot about cross server and so on.

DWho
06.12.2017 , 08:15 PM | #820
I think that everyone, the merge server crowd especially, needs to start taking this thread more seriously. This is not a place to air you opinions about server populations or health of the servers or anything else in that vein. There are a few on the merger resistant side that are dogmatic as well but it seems that the merger resistant folks are always playing defense to the same points that keep getting brought up even though we thought they were put to bed. Merging Servers is a very serious issue that could have a significant impact on the game in a negative direction. It won't be all sunshine and roses. There is a segment of players in this game that will leave as a result of server mergers and that can't be stopped. I assume there is also a part of the gaming community that will leave if there are no server merges. It is that former group that potentially causes the most problems for the people who want server merges.

What if as a result of the server merges, people stop queuing for the random group content (either because they walk away from the game or stop playing that content). If doing a PVP warzone becomes an automatic loss and the number of medals you get drops from 8 or 10 to 2 or 3, there are a lot of people who will then consider queuing for that content a waste of time (just like some people do now because of the pop times). Nobody wants to get rolled in every warzone and the Imps have a decided advantage over Pubs already. You can say, well, if we merge servers the quality of pub players will go up. Personally, I think it is just as likely they will all switch to Imp because its easier wins. That's what is going on right now.

That is if the merger goes well. If something goes wrong, and you can say that's negative thinking if you want but it is still a major risk to the future of the game, and people in guilds decide its not worth their time to rebuild their guild on the new server. Now you have damaged the raiding community too, since most raiding is done through guilds not Groupfinder.

A serious discussion of the risks is warranted and perhaps a piecemeal approach is better than an "all in" one. One of the things that has been suggested by several people is a free character transfer program to allow those who want to move to higher population servers to do so with no cost impediment. If that does not result in the population increase that is felt is needed it brings up a very different problem. It is indicative that a lot of people don't want to play on highly populated servers which makes the risk of their leaving the game even higher if servers are merged and a different approach may be needed. There are fairly simple ways to deal with some of the other population related problems that have been brought up that don't require server merges.