Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
09.13.2017 , 10:44 PM | #2771
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
This is not a hippie commune where everyone gets to vote.
Actually, every single one of us gets to vote each time our subscription comes up for renewal. Whether we renew or not is our "vote" as to whether or not we feel the game is worth the cost of subscription.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.13.2017 , 10:48 PM | #2772
Quote: Originally Posted by PiiTarr View Post
Actually, every single one of us gets to vote each time our subscription comes up for renewal. Whether we renew or not is our "vote" as to whether or not we feel the game is worth the cost of subscription.
You don't get to vote on decisions before they are made. You can only react. There's a difference.

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
09.13.2017 , 10:53 PM | #2773
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
You don't get to vote on decisions before hey are made. You can only react. There's a difference.
If that's the case, then what's the point of making suggestion threads and discussing them?

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.13.2017 , 11:08 PM | #2774
Quote: Originally Posted by PiiTarr View Post
If that's the case, then what's the point of making suggestion threads and discussing them?
LoL, you're not wrong. Bioware rarely listen to what we say, they just do what they want. A good example of this is with the way they decided to do class balances and adjusting Bolster for pvp. They asked for our feed back, we gave them our feedback that was opposite to what they wanted to hear, so they ignored it. When we told them why it was a problem, they just stopped responding and discussing it,
Also how many people and threads have there been over the last 9 months about why CXP grind is a problem and also how the game is unfriendly to alts. But still no real action to fix these problems.

Why do we post? Some of us are passionate about the game and hope and pray that someone at Bioware will listen. Sometimes if enough people are on the same side and it's something major, Bioware do hear us. They don't always do what we ask, but they hear.
Others like to discuss their points of view with other forum people. And lastly there are the trolls who just get their jollies tearing people down or inflaming situations.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
09.13.2017 , 11:19 PM | #2775
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Why are you still arguing? Seriously, how does any of this affect you. Why are you so charged to defend people's rights on dead servers that pretty much want the opposite of what you are saying. Lots of them want mergers to get off those dead servers with all of their stuff and not have to pay, So who are you to tell them they are wrong when you don't even play with them.
Who are you to tell those players that wish to remain on their current servers that they are wrong when you don't even play with them?

I have to ask if those servers are soooo dead, where are these "lots of players" that want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers" coming from?

Once again, do those "lots of players" that want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers" have the CHOICE now to move? Will server merges take the CHOICE of server away from those that wish to remain where they are?


Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
I will just add this too. There are so few active guilds on those dead servers that it doesn't matter if there was an issue with assets. But Bioware have already said they will make sure there isn't. So even that part of your argument is mute. I don't know why you keep using it to defend you objections over mergers, which as I've pointed out, won't even affect you.
And if BW were to resolve all the issues surrounding transfers, including guild transfers, could those "lots of players" that want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers" transfer with all of their stuff?

Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
You don't get to vote on decisions before hey are made. You can only react. There's a difference.
You're absolutely right. None of us get to vote on decisions before they are made--not me, not you, not even those "lots of players" that choose to remain where they are but want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers".

We all get to voice our opinions, however, even if those opinions are not the same.

All we can do is to voice those opinions, let BW make the final decisions and decide how we will react to those decisions.

Tisaren's Avatar


Tisaren
09.13.2017 , 11:54 PM | #2776
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
All we can do is to voice those opinions, let BW make the final decisions and decide how we will react to those decisions.
True, and I'm sure Bioware will take some of our opinions into account, but will base their decision mainly on metrics (to which only they have access) and their accountants' opinion.

Again, I can only hope Bioware will not turn SWTOR into North Korea where one party (PvP/LFG) calls the shots and 'citizens' have no choice but to live in a hellhole with no way out.

And I will state again that players who want BW to FORCE other players to move so they can feed off those players as LFG fodder are parasites, imo. I just can't understand how one can be happy with another player being forced to do something he/she doesn't want. It's completely beyond me.

And then there's that completely and utterly stupid notion that 'MMO' equals PvP and/or group content. That's just as stupid as stating that RP is the only 'real' MMO content, because one needs other players to RP (mmoRPg right?). Massively Multiplayer Online means exactly what it says: many people playing a online game simultaneously.

SWTOR is a continuation of the KOTOR games and therefore more solo oriented than other MMORPG's:
"Forge YOUR OWN STAR WARS™ saga in a STORY-DRIVEN massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts."

There's added content that makes use of the multiplayer environment, but that's not the core of the game.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.14.2017 , 12:01 AM | #2777
Quote: Originally Posted by Tisaren View Post
True, and I'm sure Bioware will take some of our opinions into account, but will base their decision mainly on metrics (to which only they have access) and their accountants' opinion.

Again, I can only hope Bioware will not turn SWTOR into North Korea where one party (PvP/LFG) calls the shots and 'citizens' have no choice but to live in a hellhole with no way out.

And I will state again that players who want BW to FORCE other players to move so they can feed off those players as LFG fodder are parasites, imo. I just can't understand how one can be happy with another player being forced to do something he/she doesn't want. It's completely beyond me.

And then there's that completely and utterly stupid notion that 'MMO' equals PvP and/or group content. That's just as stupid as stating that RP is the only 'real' MMO content, because one needs other players to RP (mmoRPg right?). Massively Multiplayer Online means exactly what it says: many people playing a online game simultaneously.

SWTOR is a continuation of the KOTOR games and therefore more solo oriented than other MMORPG's:
"Forge YOUR OWN STAR WARS™ saga in a STORY-DRIVEN massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts."

There's added content that makes use of the multiplayer environment, but that's not the core of the game.
The real controllers of the game - the accountants

You do realise that Bioware are trying to focus on the the LFG and PVP players because they want to move back towards a real MMO format. If those people Bioware are focusing, can't play the group content, then Bioware are wasting everyone's time and wasting money.

If they don't fix the lack population for people to do MMO content, they should stop making any more MMO content and just focus on solo story stuff because they will be the only players able to play any content in the game.
It's completely illogical to make content that no one has the ability to play. They need to work out the direction they want to take and make the decision. They can't have it both ways because there just aren't enough people left in the game to cater to everyone.
At least if they merge the servers, the MMO content they are concentrating on won't go to waste and the solo story guys can still play their remaining content, with the option of doing MMO content.

What ever direction Bioware decide to go, they need to make a decision urgently before people from both camps end up leaving. Story people will leave because they will be annoyed that MMO guys are getting all the content and the MMO guys will leave because they have no one to play it with.
The whole situation is completely backwards and it looks like the game is rudderless.

I just want them to man up and tell us instead of trying to milk everyone. If they say they are changing back to story, then the MMO people can make a decision on wether to stay or go, personally I'd leave. If they are staying the MMO path they need to merge, there is no other path to keep the game healthy and playable unless they get a massive injection of funds, which I'm sure we all know won't happen.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.14.2017 , 12:28 AM | #2778
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Who are you to tell those players that wish to remain on their current servers that they are wrong when you don't even play with them?

I have to ask if those servers are soooo dead, where are these "lots of players" that want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers" coming from?

Once again, do those "lots of players" that want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers" have the CHOICE now to move? Will server merges take the CHOICE of server away from those that wish to remain where they are?

And if BW were to resolve all the issues surrounding transfers, including guild transfers, could those "lots of players" that want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers" transfer with all of their stuff?

You're absolutely right. None of us get to vote on decisions before they are made--not me, not you, not even those "lots of players" that choose to remain where they are but want BW to merge servers so they can "get off those dead servers".

We all get to voice our opinions, however, even if those opinions are not the same.

All we can do is to voice those opinions, let BW make the final decisions and decide how we will react to those decisions.
Straw arguments when none of it affects you. If those people on the dead servers want to argue they want to stay, then they should, not you. You actually do them a disservice by saying they don't want to merge when a lot of "the remaining" people do. When I use the word a lot, I'm referencing it based on how many there are. Ie if there are 10 and 8 want to merge, then that's a lot of them 🙄
As for choice on where to move, they will have one, Harbinger or EH. With all other mergers, Bioware have allowed people to "choose" the designation server for those mergers. I can't see why that would be different this time.
Honestly if there are a handful of people who want to hold out on mergeing with EH or Harbinger, then they should be made to make a decision. Those few people are only playing solo content at that point and have no active guild and would be preventing others from merging. That is detrimental to the game and also to Biowares bottom line.
People have already explained all of this too you, but you fail to understand or just hate being wrong or are just looking to mess with people for no good reason.
I've a friend who has about 30 characters on Bastion, when she came back to the game and found out it would cost her to move all of characters, she swiftly left again. This is the experience of many returning players. Sure they could pay or use CM Comms, but why should they? It's not their fault those servers are dead and they are stuck on them. If Bioware want their business, they should allow them to transfer for free. The other problem is people see no one on the server and just assume the game is dead and leave. The last problem is when a new player starts playing and see no one on the servers and thinks the game is dead and leaves. There is no where on the login to tell them server activity. People who try out something don't always want to go searching for things. They just want to jump on and test it and that first impression counts towards them staying.
All the arguments that anyone has made for not having 1 server per region are illogical ones when looking at the big picture and the health of the game. Keeping a dead server open so a handful of people can play on it hurts the game and costs Bioware money to keep open. They should be shut off at the earliest convenience and I honestly don't know why the EA accountants havent stepped in to demand it. I'm guessing they don't know the real state of those servers or it would have been done 12 months ago. The money saved from closing them could go towards better quality content.

Tisaren's Avatar


Tisaren
09.14.2017 , 01:07 AM | #2779
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
If they don't fix the lack population for people to do MMO content, they should stop making any more MMO content and just focus on solo story stuff because they will be the only players able to play any content in the game.
Well, IF the choice would come down to that, I would like to see them stop making any more 'MMO content' (although in my opinion MMO content does NOT mean just PvP/group content). Back in the day I would have preferred them releasing KOTOR 3 instead of an online game, but right now SWTOR is the closest to KOTOR 3 we got.
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
I just want them to man up and tell us instead of trying to milk everyone. If they say they are changing back to story, then the MMO people can make a decision on wether to stay or go, personally I'd leave. If they are staying the MMO path they need to merge, there is no other path to keep the game healthy and playable unless they get a massive injection of funds, which I'm sure we all know won't happen.
I agree to a certain extent and in such a scenario I would hope they'd go for story, because that's what sets SWTOR apart from other MMO's. There's plenty of MMO's that offer PvP and raids, but none of them have stories that even come close to the quality of the 8 class stories of SWTOR.

I do realize however that PvP and OPs are much cheaper to develop than story rich content. This may be a deciding factor for BW to go the route of what you call 'MMO content', unfortunately.

fushnchips's Avatar


fushnchips
09.14.2017 , 02:50 AM | #2780
Quote: Originally Posted by Tisaren View Post
Well, IF the choice would come down to that, I would like to see them stop making any more 'MMO content' (although in my opinion MMO content does NOT mean just PvP/group content). Back in the day I would have preferred them releasing KOTOR 3 instead of an online game, but right now SWTOR is the closest to KOTOR 3 we got.
I agree to a certain extent and in such a scenario I would hope they'd go for story, because that's what sets SWTOR apart from other MMO's. There's plenty of MMO's that offer PvP and raids, but none of them have stories that even come close to the quality of the 8 class stories of SWTOR.

I do realize however that PvP and OPs are much cheaper to develop than story rich content. This may be a deciding factor for BW to go the route of what you call 'MMO content', unfortunately.
I'm not paying a sub for a story that's for sure any story based game should be a 1 off purchase with paid expansions but Bioware have said that they are going to refocus on Operations and other group content like they should have for the last 3 years but got stuck in some story mode delusional state that they learned a very hard lesson from.