Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_
08.03.2017 , 07:31 PM | #1911
Quote: Originally Posted by doelow View Post
Last time I played was a few months ago when their Morrowind expansion came out. I have my own issues with ESO that keep me from ever getting too deep into the game, but as of a few months back, the population was quite healthy and very robust. Lots of people around. Very lively.

Give it a try. It's interesting to see an MMO take on TES at the very least. You might find that you enjoy it.
But that's usually what happens with expansions... it's after the first few months that you can see the real health
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

Icykill_
08.03.2017 , 07:34 PM | #1912
Quote: Originally Posted by DanNV View Post
I haven't been reading about ESO, but I can tell you that anywhere I go there are usually other people around, sometimes lots of other people. All bosses are counted for anyone attacking, everyone gets loot and credit (same for mobs in general.) From what i have seen the game is active and I've enjoyed it since Christmas (I play there WAY more than I play SWTOR now.)
Oh, well that's good. I only said what I said because when I was researching other viable games to move to, some of the stuff I read said ESO was on the decline.

I guess any game seems active these days compared to swtor 😢
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

DanNV
08.03.2017 , 07:58 PM | #1913
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
I guess any game seems active these days compared to swtor 😢
Unfortunately, that is very true.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

Andryah
08.03.2017 , 08:17 PM | #1914
Isn't ESO dying out too?
It's one of those games I was looking at to move too because I was fed up with inaction in swtor .
From what I've read it seems to be losing players as well and the future doesn't bode well.
It is still active I believe.

I played it for a month at launch and did not like the game mechanics at all. Seriously, the actual game mechanics are just a bit odd for an MMO.

I personally will not return as they have no equivalent to the GTN, or AH (as in WoW). And apparently, devs have stated that they never will. The only thing in game is guild vendors... but they are kind of a nightmare to wade through to find an item you seek.....and in my view that stifles the player economy.

That said, you being an avid PvPer...... ESO players make the same accusations against ESO devs that players do here.... that they keep introducing broken things that frustrate players. And if you want to PvP outside of battlegrounds.... it appears to be much like the old DAoC approach of zergs and premades rolling solo players and small groups at every opportunity. Great if you like riding with the zerg... otherwise.. probably pretty frustrating.

Give it a try for a month and test drive it for yourself though... as that is the only real way to evaluate it.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

Alssaran
08.03.2017 , 08:26 PM | #1915
Quote:
Isn't ESO dying out too?
Not really.

I've only been back there for like a month, but I find groups for most kinds of content, easily. It's not crowded in any sense of the word, but both the casual communities and roleplaying communities seem active enough. If people say ESO is dead because it seems inactive, then I'd counter that SWTOR would've been dead a long time ago.

Every MMORPG these days survives because of small communities of people. Star Trek Online and LOTRO are by no means "big" or "crowded" games. I'd go as far as to say that they are even less populated than ESO. Yet, these games manage to stay around.

I've been playing at 4:00 AM for the past three days and found people running around, competing with me for materials and dueling me for fun in the open world. It's far from dead. There were rumors along those lines because the Steam numbers were unimpressive, but that's not surprising: Many people play ESO through the company's own launcher. Not through Steam.

If I have helped you, then you could click this link to help me!
A single spark of hope can re-ignite the fires of freedom.

DanNV
08.03.2017 , 10:27 PM | #1916
Oh, well that's good. I only said what I said because when I was researching other viable games to move to, some of the stuff I read said ESO was on the decline.
One nice thing is that it's buy to play, as well. Subbing makes life easier, but once you buy it, you can play any and all content that you've purchased. They put out quarterly DLCs (looks like 3 and then an expansion) all buy yo play, or if you sub you get the DLCs but have to buy the expansions. IT's a model SWTOR should take a long hard look at, along with the improved mechanics for bosses, loot, mobs, etc.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

DarthSpuds
08.04.2017 , 01:11 AM | #1917
Isn't ESO dying out too?
It's one of those games I was looking at to move too because I was fed up with inaction in swtor .
From what I've read it seems to be losing players as well and the future doesn't bode well.
Since the release of Morrowind and the disastrous changes made to the combat system the game is in freefall as regards PvE participation. In an attempt to revive PvP Zeni reworked the entire combat system to be less dynamic, less fast paced, less bursty and less mobility. They claimed it would "raise the floor and lower the ceiling" for participation in end-game content. It did the exact opposite - totally gutting PvE. Participation in vMA (typical measure of end-game popularity) has more than halved since Morrowind launched - some classes are now only 25% as active as they were prior to Morrowind.

What was worse was that end-game gearing in ESO is heavily reliant on RNG and some players had run through content many hundreds of times to get the right drops and then spent tons of money and materials upgrading them, and the Morrowind changes changed all of it. In terms of gearing Morrowind threw players back into a 6-12 month grind just to get back to being 70% as effective as they were before Morrowind.

I was in the closed beta for Morrowind - the forums were full of players telling them this would happen if they allowed it to go live. But they ignored all that feedback and pushed ahead anyway. The Guild I was in went from 120+ active players to less than 15 - in the space of about 3 weeks.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?
Sub Expires@ 24/05/2018
If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

MeNaCe-NZ
08.04.2017 , 04:49 AM | #1918
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
Since the release of Morrowind and the disastrous changes made to the combat system the game is in freefall as regards PvE participation. In an attempt to revive PvP Zeni reworked the entire combat system to be less dynamic, less fast paced, less bursty and less mobility. They claimed it would "raise the floor and lower the ceiling" for participation in end-game content. It did the exact opposite - totally gutting PvE. Participation in vMA (typical measure of end-game popularity) has more than halved since Morrowind launched - some classes are now only 25% as active as they were prior to Morrowind.

What was worse was that end-game gearing in ESO is heavily reliant on RNG and some players had run through content many hundreds of times to get the right drops and then spent tons of money and materials upgrading them, and the Morrowind changes changed all of it. In terms of gearing Morrowind threw players back into a 6-12 month grind just to get back to being 70% as effective as they were before Morrowind.

I was in the closed beta for Morrowind - the forums were full of players telling them this would happen if they allowed it to go live. But they ignored all that feedback and pushed ahead anyway. The Guild I was in went from 120+ active players to less than 15 - in the space of about 3 weeks.

All The Best
For all the people that think word of mouth doesn't mean a lot in game population ... this post just put me off trying ESO.

I'm still curious for FF14 though, maybe Neverwinter as I LOVE the setting. Like SWToR I would like my next MMO be a game where I can love and enjoy the story solo and not be affected by a reduced MMO population. If I get to the MMO part and it's dead then meh - no biggie - I got my monies worth playing the story. As opposed to a game with a **** PVE/Story aspect where I get to the end game content and that also sucks making me wonder why I bothered.

The only detriment to this games class story is how stupidly easy they made it compared to vanilla but that aside storywise it's as enjoyable for a new player as it was on day 1 (more so thanks to QoL).

Alssaran
08.04.2017 , 06:58 AM | #1919
Quote:
Since the release of Morrowind and the disastrous changes made to the combat system the game is in freefall as regards PvE participation. In an attempt to revive PvP Zeni reworked the entire combat system to be less dynamic, less fast paced, less bursty and less mobility. They claimed it would "raise the floor and lower the ceiling" for participation in end-game content. It did the exact opposite - totally gutting PvE.
You and me seem to be playing a very different game then. I've been playing the game for the past month, and I had, at no point or time whatsoever, issues finding a good amount of groups to do content or people to PvP against. Surprisingly enough, I found groups for PvE content at 3:00 AM GMT on the European megaserver. That's something that's, sadly, not possible on SWTOR. At no point in the past two years did I ever find enough people to start something meaningful at 3:00 AM server time on the Progenitor.

Quote:
For all the people that think word of mouth doesn't mean a lot in game population ... this post just put me off trying ESO.
Alright, I have to chim in there. I'll put it into spoilers because it is, frankly, a long rant about current MMORPG discussion, and I do not want to bloat the page numbers with too many paragraphs. A TL;DR is at the bottom.

Spoiler

TL;DR: This kind of "it's sh*t, everything is sh*t, the devs are sh*t, don't bother, the game will be dead come next week." posts are everywhere for any MMORPG out there. And I'm not saying that ESO, or any other MMO for that matter, doesn't have flaws. It does. Some I don't mind, and some I think are annoying. But it's not as totalitarian as many people make it out for any MMO. It takes ten seconds to start the download and a few hours to make up your mind. Not the least bit unreasonable, considering that even in this very own thread, four people have already written something entirely different than he did.

If I have helped you, then you could click this link to help me!
A single spark of hope can re-ignite the fires of freedom.

kodrac
08.04.2017 , 07:55 AM | #1920
Quote: Originally Posted by Alssaran View Post
Yes, ESO. Because on ESO, despite having a mega-server, we are never going to face the issue of being forcefully merged away, losing names we had for several years, and our decorated homesteads that we put long work into.
Be prepared for disappointment with the game itself though. If you think the 5.3 nerfs here are bad then you shouldn't go near ESO.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ