Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

masterceil's Avatar


masterceil
08.02.2017 , 04:01 PM | #1821
Many thanks for the update, Keith. Keeping my guild apprised as you keep the forums apprised
Appreciate the help/snark in the above post? Click here to help me out!
Celestial ArgonautsCelestial Dreadnauts
Star Forged from the Ebon Hawk cacd.enjin.com

actkiyomur's Avatar


actkiyomur
08.02.2017 , 04:07 PM | #1822
Thx for the answer Keith, it's good to know that you are aware of our problems regarding server population, and that you are trying to fix them. As fushnchips pointed it would be nice to know where you are in the process
Dalmasca Legacy - Battle Meditation
Dread Master Teka - Le Cénacle
Oricon NiM 10/10 Pré 3.0 & 3.0 HM 9/10
Hastur Legacy - Red Eclipse

Kalarie's Avatar


Kalarie
08.02.2017 , 04:38 PM | #1823
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Someone indicated we haven't posted in this thread since we kicked it off. As we stated in the opening post, we are not ready to discuss anything, yet, The purpose of the thread was to consolidate all the various posts about the topic so it's all contained in one place. All of your comments will absolutely have an impact on how and what we decide with respect to server populations.

Keith---
Keith, just FYI, the only reasonable solution that would appease an original Space Slug member, is one US server where the name is "Astrolandia", and all toons created there must start with Astro, and the only guild allowed is Astrosquad.
Astronamer
"Foster" legacy
Astrosquad Guild

MeNaCe-NZ's Avatar


MeNaCe-NZ
08.02.2017 , 05:31 PM | #1824
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
For the specific Guild issues you’ve raised, we would need to ensure the entire Guild, their Flagship/decorations, Bank/Tabs/items, and Stronghold/decorations remain 100% intact. The goal would be for the Guild members to notice absolutely nothing different and this means any returning players would still be in your guild unless you specifically removed them. Bottom line for your Guild would be making sure we protect all your hard work.

The losing of character names is one of the key points we are still discussing. We know there’s a variety of issues to resolve including, but not limited to, name collisions, establishing a priority system, purging of old names beforehand, and players attempting to reserve names. We all have character names we want to preserve, so this is a key factor in the overall decision.

-Keith--
So what this says you are actively looking at merging servers then? You just need to ensure you resolve the technical issues first?

I mean you wouldn't be wasting time discussing this sort of thing if merges were off the table of course.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me and I'm 100% in support of merges once those are solved. .

IanArgent's Avatar


IanArgent
08.02.2017 , 07:02 PM | #1825
I read that as "BW is looking to see if merges are technically and economically feasible; and what the pain points will be." Once that's done, the "non-technical" discussion can be framed up and looked at.

I just finished doing a project very similar to "server merges" at work, only I was able to tell my "customers" they had no choice, move or die. (Because the servers I moved people off of were literally dying, as in hardware failures and lack of support). My part was the easy part. Having done that, it turns out I need to replace the servers again this year. I am moving, if not heaven and earth, a chunk of the sea and sky to ensure that everyone who just "moved" will never notice the change. (For a variety of reasons we couldn't take this approach in the last migration; several of the changes made during that were done to enable a transparent cutover if we ever had to do it in the future. So it goes). It's a bit of a "toy" system, but it served people I never knew used the silly thing until they wanted to know why it stopped working (despite my best efforts over the year previous to tell everyone what was coming).

System administration at the enterprise level (even with toys like I was working with) isn't like dusting crops, kid.
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't

IoNonSoEVero's Avatar


IoNonSoEVero
08.02.2017 , 07:26 PM | #1826
To clarify, I saw that Keith mentioned guild assets, and names - but can you clarify that those efforts to preserve everything also would apply to individual assets, like strongholds, outfits and decorations?

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
08.02.2017 , 07:46 PM | #1827
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
For the specific Guild issues you’ve raised, we would need to ensure the entire Guild, their Flagship/decorations, Bank/Tabs/items, and Stronghold/decorations remain 100% intact. The goal would be for the Guild members to notice absolutely nothing different and this means any returning players would still be in your guild unless you specifically removed them. Bottom line for your Guild would be making sure we protect all your hard work.

The losing of character names is one of the key points we are still discussing. We know there’s a variety of issues to resolve including, but not limited to, name collisions, establishing a priority system, purging of old names beforehand, and players attempting to reserve names. We all have character names we want to preserve, so this is a key factor in the overall decision.

-Keith--
How does this dovetail with your statement that you do not want to forcibly move players that are happy where they currently are and have no desire to move?

Are you talking about merging servers and forcibly moving people who have no desire to move or are you talking about enabling voluntary individual or guild transfers, possibly to one or more new larger capacity servers, without losing any guild or personal assets in the process?

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
08.02.2017 , 08:45 PM | #1828
Quote: Originally Posted by IanArgent View Post
I read that as "BW is looking to see if merges are technically and economically feasible; and what the pain points will be." Once that's done, the "non-technical" discussion can be framed up and looked at.

I just finished doing a project very similar to "server merges" at work, only I was able to tell my "customers" they had no choice, move or die. (Because the servers I moved people off of were literally dying, as in hardware failures and lack of support). My part was the easy part. Having done that, it turns out I need to replace the servers again this year. I am moving, if not heaven and earth, a chunk of the sea and sky to ensure that everyone who just "moved" will never notice the change. (For a variety of reasons we couldn't take this approach in the last migration; several of the changes made during that were done to enable a transparent cutover if we ever had to do it in the future. So it goes). It's a bit of a "toy" system, but it served people I never knew used the silly thing until they wanted to know why it stopped working (despite my best efforts over the year previous to tell everyone what was coming).

System administration at the enterprise level (even with toys like I was working with) isn't like dusting crops, kid.
agreed. been there, done that, and they still ignored the warning emails

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
08.02.2017 , 08:51 PM | #1829
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
We would still like to know where you guys are at what parts of those key points you have success with as of now and what ones are the most annoying because I know even though you post great updates actions actually speak louder than words my friend and you could be posting this same thing for the next 12 months and as a veteran player I would like more of a window of time why not make free one way transfers for now to allow people to get to another server yes 90cc is cheap but some players are stuck on wastelands because of Biowares neglect towards certain players that pay for a sub and continue to do so.
Keith,
This is a very good point and idea about free transfers off the low pop servers. It would be a good start to the process while you are sorting out the logistics of mergers.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
08.02.2017 , 08:53 PM | #1830
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
agreed. been there, done that, and they still ignored the warning emails
Same. You can tell them every month for a year and even weekly leading up to it and they will still be shocked when it happens 🙄
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff