Coping with gear change and what to do...............

CrazyTough

Do what I do. Absolutely nothing. I have done exactly zero towards new gear. I am still in all 248 gear and am almost always top damage or near top damage in ranked. As long as the gearing system stays like it is, I will be in 248 possibly forever. All I do is PVP. And if they can not co op a system within PVP I will be in 248 gear. I am not kidding when I say this. I will 100% do nothing on the PVE side for gearing my toon. If it ever gets to the point where people are angry in ranked that my gearing is sub standard then my answer will be to go yell at bioware not me. I didn't create the gearing system. But one thing is for certain, I will never ever PVE for gearing and I will never stop queueing ranked. If it wasn't for PVP I would never log into this game.

I don't fault anyone for doing nothing - it's not that bad of an idea tbh. But...you can do almost that little, and still get the new gear, meaning travel to Ossus via the galaxy map, purchase to one weekly 500 UC crystal, and ignore everything else in the game entirely. You can buy the set piece you specifically want from the vendors without ever doing a thing on the planet...I'm doing this on my tank.

Do what I do. Absolutely nothing. I have done exactly zero towards new gear. I am still in all 248 gear and am almost always top damage or near top damage in ranked. As long as the gearing system stays like it is, I will be in 248 possibly forever. All I do is PVP. And if they can not co op a system within PVP I will be in 248 gear. I am not kidding when I say this. I will 100% do nothing on the PVE side for gearing my toon. If it ever gets to the point where people are angry in ranked that my gearing is sub standard then my answer will be to go yell at bioware not me. I didn't create the gearing system. But one thing is for certain, I will never ever PVE for gearing and I will never stop queueing ranked. If it wasn't for PVP I would never log into this game.

I give you a ton of respect. I just was done when I seen they were mandating that PVE activities were going to be the basis for the new gearing and quit.

At least you managed to remove the annoyance and stress of the totally unneeded gear grind and found the game still fun playing it your way.

Just as TUX said, you can still convert UCs. Additionally, if you do any of the various forms of ranked, you can get MasDC and MonDC that way, and two out of every eight weeks you get an extra MasDC from the rotating weekly to get 8 medals in a single match. Of course all of those things will still require you to travel to Ossus, but besides that you’re spared. It’s obviously slower than someone who does a variety of content but still doable. And you might get lucky getting a MasDC or 252 piece in a tier 4 command crate. Again, it’s going to be a lot slower because you choose not to do any content outside of ground pvp. The more limits you place on yourself the less options for gearing.

EDIT: and if you really love ranked you’re actually in a better position than most players to earn those Monumental Data Crystals you’ll need for the mainhand and offhand. Your fifty points in solo ranked will likely come a lot sooner than I’ll be able to get into a group that can do VM Hive of the Mountain Queen.

Edited by phalczen

I don't fault anyone for doing nothing - it's not that bad of an idea tbh. But...you can do almost that little, and still get the new gear, meaning travel to Ossus via the galaxy map, purchase to one weekly 500 UC crystal, and ignore everything else in the game entirely. You can buy the set piece you specifically want from the vendors without ever doing a thing on the planet...I'm doing this on my tank.

You still have to grind the rep for the vendors. Some pieces require you to be Hero standing, and the only way you can get there is farming dailies.

You still have to grind the rep for the vendors. Some pieces require you to be Hero standing, and the only way you can get there is farming dailies.

For some pieces, you're correct...not for all though. You can get enough pieces without rep that it's silly to ignore this one simple thing you can do weekly.

Just as TUX said, you can still convert UCs. Additionally, if you do any of the various forms of ranked, you can get MasDC and MonDC that way, and two out of every eight weeks you get an extra MasDC from the rotating weekly to get 8 medals in a single match. Of course all of those things will still require you to travel to Ossus, but besides that you’re spared. It’s obviously slower than someone who does a variety of content but still doable. And you might get lucky getting a MasDC or 252 piece in a tier 4 command crate. Again, it’s going to be a lot slower because you choose not to do any content outside of ground pvp. The more limits you place on yourself the less options for gearing.

EDIT: and if you really love ranked you’re actually in a better position than most players to earn those Monumental Data Crystals you’ll need for the mainhand and offhand. Your fifty points in solo ranked will likely come a lot sooner than I’ll be able to get into a group that can do VM Hive of the Mountain Queen.

Thank you for explaining. I was already briefed of this by guildmates but unfortunately will not be participating in this at all. Zero. Not even a little.

5.0 put a very bitter taste in my mouth. At the brink of quitting this game I held out for changes that would come more in the direction of my game play. They made the game playable for me but barely. I stuck it out and here I am. But now I have a choice. Either quit the game or just have no involvement in this new gearing system. I have chosen to completely ignore the new system.

So far I have seen hardly any effect on my game play. 248s are perfectly fine for ranked at least for my player skill level. I can still be extremely competitive in 248. If that changes then either I quit the game or just play handicapped and still get my PVP itch scratched.

I have chosen to completely boycott Osuss. Any option that includes going to Ossus for my gear will be rejected. You might ask "are you bitter or just pissed off with bioware?" The answer is yes. Extremely. But I do want to continue playing the game the way I like to play it. So far with Ossus I have been able to. If they eventually break my will with this gearing system then I will quit. I cant say I haven't given them a chance. I have. But if the game becomes un enjoyable then I go. Its that simple. But any option that includes Ossus I will flatly reject. I'm getting off this bioware merry go round.

How are you, erm, "coping" for the abundance of defense, or should I say, lack of B mods for your tank? I'm leaning to not giving a ****, but it's fun to tinker with stats.

If you're an altoholic like me you can get rep super fast just from running your toons through the story. Very little extra grind needed for that. if you just have one toon though, get on the treadmill.

How are you, erm, "coping" for the abundance of defense, or should I say, lack of B mods for your tank? I'm leaning to not giving a ****, but it's fun to tinker with stats.

I'm unsure how I'll handle it, but for now, I'm just leaving my B mods in. That's the beauty of the crystals...I can buy my tanks gear sets with any toon I have, which also means I can get any mod from any classes set I need (if they have it).

I am actively choosing to not participate in anything that provides the new gear. I think adding it in the first place was stupid, adding NiM gods was even more stupid, and refusing to tie the new gear into the existing system is ridiculous. Their refusal to actually respond to those of us affected by the broken WB mission (telling me its a bug doesn't count for squat. I figured out it was a bug myself, somehow) was it for me. I come around about once a week on my guildless alt I use to get my swtor fix without the toxicity that comes from my guild tag and thats it.

Even if I got a piece in a crate I wouldn't use it out of sheer principle. Musco himself could give me an entire 258 set and I wouldn't use it. I'm that stubborn (though I prefer principled ha ha).

So yes I do nothing for the new gear... because this studio interprets any kind of participation as pleasure, and by extension approval, meaning any of us here complaining are just minority hypocrites.

Well Musco, I may he a minority, but I'm no hypocrite. You succeeded in what you've been trying to do since 4.0 and largely chased me off your game. Thanks for all your hard work in retention of loyal players (/sarcasm).

You get blue rep tokens from the pvp daily. You may even get them from the weekly. And, you can get them from the same missions that award the MasDC and MonDC. So, the devs did provide a mechanism to acquire the reputation even without grinding on the planet. Although, if you’ve decided to boycott Ossus like the OP, it doesn’t matter that the devs provided this pathway. Does the OP sell those rep tokens to vendors for cash without using them? What will they do with the 252 crates they get randomly from tier 4 command crates? Disintegrate that gear out of protest? I’m asking genuinely, because I think it’s a silly proberbial hill to die on, not even setting foot on Ossus to grab the pvp missions and buy the gear. I don’t think anything short of unsubbing would send a clear enough message. Look how long it took the developers to lower the cost of tier 2 pvp Dark Reaver gear way back in 4.0. Then again, they reacted to the daily area CXP “bug” pretty quickly, so maybe your statement will make a difference.

Don't the ranked weeklies give purple Ossus rep tokens?

I can see the OP's point, but I would say that you have to be an elite player to rely solely on skill, when you could use skill and a small boost due to stats. - Not many of us PvP-ers are in that position, so we're on the gear treadmill. Kudos to those who don't feel the need for skill+gear.

- For some we only really PVE while we wait for PVP pops. - At least that way, we can p[ick an chose our fave PVE or to put it another way, our least hated. Sometimes you just feel you haven't visited such-and-such planet for ages... so might as well check out the scenery.

I may be in the minority, but I'd far rather have an interesting and entertaining WZ than worry about win or loss. I try my hardest, but the result no longer bothers me much. I only roll my eyes at some people who turn out to be complete idiots.

For Ossus gear grinding the initial opening quest along with "Flesh and Steel" is the actual grind part.

(Note: Flesh & Steel drops 1 Masterwork Data Crystal + 1 252 gear choice)

For those only interested in pvp or some other non-pve activity, here is two suggestions to cope:

Coping Suggestion I:

1. The weekly 500 unassembled components for 1 masterwork data crystal.

2. Then there is the timed weekly which rewards one masterwork data crystal for a rotating activity (operation, pvp, ...)

3. The daily weekly (I do only the quick and easy dailies spread out over two days) which drops a 252 purple loot gear crate.

Suggestion II is how many on the unofficial RP-PVP server "Star Forge" are coping.

The above rewards 2 Masterwork Data Crystals + 252 random gear + 1 Purple Reputation token (~1387 rep)

Coping Suggestion II:

1. Do weekly bosses on many ALTs as you can handle (1 Masterwork Data Crystal + 1 Purple Reputation).

2. Weekly 500 Unassembled Component trade-in

Edited by jimmorrisson

Does the OP sell those rep tokens to vendors for cash without using them? What will they do with the 252 crates they get randomly from tier 4 command crates? Disintegrate that gear out of protest? I’m asking genuinely, because I think it’s a silly proberbial hill to die on, not even setting foot on Ossus to grab the pvp missions and buy the gear.

I sell them now because my rep is maxed from weekly rewards. I have not gotten a random 252 crate yet and Im sure I have literally opened 100s of level 300 crates since this went live. As far as the PVP missions I have no idea what that is. And if there is a PVP mission for Ossus it would be nice if they would put it on the PVP terminal. Im not traveling anywhere, Ossus included to get PVP missions. Period. That's what a PVP mission terminal is for IMO.

Honestly I have already made up my mind to get off the crazy train bioware is driving. Although I was un aware of a PVP mission that can be obtained thru Ossus I am still not going to get involved with it at all. I'm not joking or exaggerating when I tell you I am really close to just calling it a day and stop playing. I think 5.0 went far enough with this gear chaos. So far I can play and still enjoy this game without going to Ossus. If they continue on this course for gearing and I can no longer enjoy this game without going to Ossus for quests or gearing at that point Ill quit. Right now for the moment I'm still having fun while avoiding Ossus.

I'm not protesting getting gear. By gosh man give me some better gear I will happily install it. Bottom line is I'm not going to Ossus for gearing my toon period. That's all. And I certainly am not running daily's, weeklies, and killing world bosses for it. That's for dang sure. Before I have to do that I am 100% without any shadow of a doubt going to quit playing.

My hope is when they change the level cap to 75 they will also change the gearing system to resemble something from the past 7 years. I wouldn't mind expertise again or just continue on the CXP style grind. I don't like the current system but I can deal with it. That's my hope. Meanwhile its 248 for me and if they don't change the current direction I will ride the 248 bus as long as I can. Or unless I get some of those random crates in a tier 4 box which I have yet to see.